2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

livetoskate

Who do you think gave him covid? His wife? There was an article where he said they didn't even get together with the rest of his family after nationals and he was only going to the rink and grocery. So maybe the grocery shopping did him in. Or even at the rink, someone could have been infected there, breathed out all sorts of viral particles and left before Keegan got there. I don't blame him for getting covid at all; there weren't pictures of him mingling with fans and friends.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
My point is that to be the person picked to carry the flag in the closing ceremonies, they should pick someone who exercised the proper amount of caution knowing what ALL OF US have known about how things work for the last two years. It seems Keegan got some farewell hugs at some point that bit him in the butt. He should have chosen congratulatory hugs for his Olympic bronze medal once the Olympics were finished. Now he and all his teammates are medal-less.

Of all the stupid reasons to pick someone to carry the flag, that probably takes the cake.

They'll likely pick Parrot, especially if he wins another gold, and someone from the women's hockey team.

If they want to pick someone else for competing bravely but not succeeding, they might as well pick Roman.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Of all the stupid reasons to pick someone to carry the flag, that probably takes the cake.

They'll likely pick Parrot, especially if he wins another gold, and someone from the women's hockey team.

If they want to pick someone else for competing bravely but not succeeding, they might as well pick Roman.
Stephen Dubois should be picked - he has got two olympic medals so far in the short track and may well get 3.

RoseRed

There are going to be several good options for flag bearer. I really don't see anyone without a medal getting picked, much as I like Keegan. Do we even know if there will be two? In Tokyo they had two for the Opening Ceremony, but just Damien Warner for the Closing.

The opening ceremony flag bearers were Marie-Philip Poulin (women's hockey) and Charles Hamelin (short track speed skating), so they won't be picked. And I do think they'd prefer to pick from different sports.

Aside from Dubois, we have Eliot Grondin (snowboard cross) with two medals (silver+bronze). Then I do think Max Parrot could probably be the current favourite, with the only Canadian gold so far, and having come back from cancer treatment during the past Olympic cycle (and he could get another medal in big air). Among the women, Isabelle Weidemann (speed skating) has a silver and bronze so far. Meryeta Odine has two bronzes in snowboard cross.

If Brad Gushue manages to win in curling then he could be an option as well. He won gold in 2006 then took 16 years to get back to the Olympics, so it would be a great story.

And there are other possibilities (and surely there will be more coming).

mackiecat

With Omnicron super easy to catch without leaving the house. Without a test most Ppl do not know they have it. And I am talking Canada. He lives in the US and that is where he caught it. In Alaska they are short many things. Skate Canada should have brought him into a place in almost bubble atmosphere as Olympics approached. He missed doing challenge as there was no one who could tape and supervise a skate from him. Good job Skate Canada.
That was Challenge in Dec 2020.EVERY skater had to perform/ be taped in front of a Skate Canada Referee. How many of those do you think are in Alaska? 0 There was a travel ban on at the time. This was not essential travel.

Do you really think he should be forced by Skate Canada to leave his wife and child to be placed in a bubble before Olympics and how long were they supposed to do this for?

barbarafan

That was Challenge in Dec 2020.EVERY skater had to perform/ be taped in front of a Skate Canada Referee. How many of those do you think are in Alaska? 0 There was a travel ban on at the time. This was not essential travel.

Do you really think he should be forced by Skate Canada to leave his wife and child to be placed in a bubble before Olympics and how long were they supposed to do this for?
2 weeks

clairecloutier

1. Keegan didn't isolate sufficiently to avoid catching COVID
2. He missed the team event, for which he was very much needed, causing turmoil for all other Team Canada members
3. Keegan's absence forced Roman into a situation for which he was not prepared
4. Keegan's absence possibly (probably?) caused Canada to lose a medal and robbed the other Team Canada members the chance to be an Olympic medalist
5. Keegan was obviously not in the right space to compete when he arrived late and under-performed in the men's event, causing one to wonder if he should have withdrawn much earlier to let another Canadian man a chance at the Olympics
6. Keegan's inability to care for his health and selfishness in not withdrawing caused pressure for Roman which was reflected in how Roman performed in the short program

NO TO THE AMERICAN CARRYING THE CANADIAN FLAG AT THE CLOSING CEREMONY!

:EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE:

This is truly a WTF post if I've ever seen one :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bonus points for throwing in the anti-American bit in the end, LOL. I guess you would've been happy to forgo having a second Canadian man at the Olympics at all, as that would've never happened without "The American" getting a second spot FOR CANADA at last year's Worlds. :rolleyes:

Janef

Bonus points for throwing in the anti-American bit in the end, LOL. I guess you would've been happy to forgo having a second Canadian man at the Olympics at all, as that would've never happened without "The American" getting a second spot FOR CANADA at last year's Worlds. :rolleyes:
Oh don’t forget he is also flaunting his heterosexuality by holding up his sons photo. Think I saw that too.

manhn

Is Isabelle Weidemann not going to Milan in 2026? If she is going, I could see her as flagbearer for the Opening Ceremonies. Max Parrot for the closing.

Colonel Green

Is Isabelle Weidemann not going to Milan in 2026? If she is going, I could see her as flagbearer for the Opening Ceremonies. Max Parrot for the closing.
They don’t generally look ahead four years when making these decisions.

screech

IIRC though Keegan lives and trains in Alaska, through his mother he's had Canadian (dual) citizenship since birth.

Also FWIW I never actually expected Keegan to be picked when I posted the initial mention in this thread. I was just intending to comment on something I saw on Twitter (expanding with a few other positives of his)

barbarafan

Keegan's mother is Canadian which gives him the rights of having a CDn passport. Also in Canada you do not have to revoke your CDn citizenship to change countries. You can be dual.

Mont

2+3+4. It's on Skate Canada for failing to produce competitive athletes. One skater is not responsible for a team medal, it is a team effort and team Canada (as much as I love many of them) was just not good enough this time. They were also 10 points behind bronze, Keegan being there would have only made them lose the bronze by a slightly smaller gap.
Dead right. Let's see, (checks notes), after women's short, not a single canadian anywhere near a podium finish, something that is unlikely to change. Don't think its Keegan's fault Canada was no where near 3rd. Team event should be scrapped in skating. Its an ISU medal and TV money grab.

As an aside, a number of years ago, I predicted that this was the path Canada was on. Was ridiculed at the time but my post aged very well....

PeterG

@PeterG is no troll! 😂😂😂
He's been a member here for years, doesn't post often, has a very dry sense of humour, which unfortunately most people don't get.
A troll! LOL 😂

Thanks, but in my non-defense, I did admit that my post was a mixture of seriousness and silliness. I did use all those

:EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE:

emojis to suggest I was being both a provocateur as well as a silly goose.

I find it a bit strange that people have reacted to my post to mean that I think Keegan should be put to death, along with all his living relatives.

The fact of the matter is that my post was ONLY about the suggestion by another poster that Keegan be chosen to carry the Canadian flag in the closing ceremonies. And that just perhaps one of the other 214 Canadian athletes could possibly be a better choice? (Note that I just inferred the guy who was born in the U.S., trains in the U.S. and lives in the U.S. is....CANADIAN!!!!) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Perhaps the clutching of the pearls can now desist. We must remember that high blood pressure is NOT our friend. ;)

manhn

But not all other 214 Canadians were all born in Canada. I mean, just in terms of figure skaters, there are Sorensen and Gilles. And even though she was born in Canada, James competed for another country for most of her skating career.

I get it about Keegan. But maybe due to his personality and genuine likeability, I very much view him as a Canadian.

Panja

So now when you're in love with your kid you're 'flaunting your heterosexuality'? Please. I enjoy the pride Keegan has in his firstborn. Is that flaunting heterosexuality? It's just joy in his kid (and his wife). Saying things like 'flaunting heterosexuality" turns him into a homophobic - and tbh I've never ever heard Keegan being one of those.

livetoskate

I thought some comments were meant to be satire. It was sounding like something from "The Onion." Kind of funny if they weren't meant to be serious.

Janef

So now when you're in love with your kid you're 'flaunting your heterosexuality'? Please. I enjoy the pride Keegan has in his firstborn. Is that flaunting heterosexuality? It's just joy in his kid (and his wife). Saying things like 'flaunting heterosexuality" turns him into a homophobic - and tbh I've never ever heard Keegan being one of those.
This was a comment someone else posted. I was supporting someone else's comment. You have to follow the threads not take a comment out of context. Gay or strait, American or cdn no doubt he is a good person!

Janef

Your comment is taken out of context from a previous thread. You have to read the whole thing to understand.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
CBC Radio's Olympic report just mentioned that Keegan has been cheering on Team Canada at a number of different events at the games. He's apparently waving a giant Canadian flag and claiming it's all part of his off-ice training for Worlds!:cheer2:
Yeah. We’ve been mentioning that in the various pbp threads. Now, if he could superimpose baby’s photo onto the flag…. 👶

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information