2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Winnipeg

It may be in Roman's best interest, mental health wise, to take a break. OTOH, skating at Worlds may be like facing your fear asap after? Like falling off a horse, get right back up? I don't know which scenario fits here but a professional should help out to decide what is best, including input from Roman and is coaches.

screech

If Canada ends up being awarded the TE bronze due to what's happening right now, I wonder how it will affect Roman. He will likely feel like he doesn't deserve and Olympic medal, even though he went out there and tried.

I still remember how much people criticized Kaetlyn Osmond for listing herself as an Olympic medallist after the Sochi TE, and she had placed 5th in both segments, with scores within 2 points of 3rd place in each. I'm worried it will be so much worse for Roman to declare himself as an olympic medallist.

fsfann

If Canada ends up being awarded the TE bronze due to what's happening right now, I wonder how it will affect Roman. He will likely feel like he doesn't deserve and Olympic medal, even though he went out there and tried.

I still remember how much people criticized Kaetlyn Osmond for listing herself as an Olympic medallist after the Sochi TE, and she had placed 5th in both segments, with scores within 2 points of 3rd place in each. I'm worried it will be so much worse for Roman to declare himself as an olympic medallist.
That's the irony with the way the TE is designed, since they don't use cumulative points... Technically you could have a competitor go out on the ice and walk off for the two segments, and htey could still get a medal! It's kind of crazy, no?? Saying that Roman is an Olympic Medalist when he essentially finished last in every part of his Olympic competition is so crazy! (2nd last in the short program of the TE, so not completely last in everything..). Are there any other team events that we can think of where this would actually happen?

skategal

Bunny mama

If they end up with a team medal, he doesn’t have to declare himself one, he is one.

His name will be in the history books and not with an asterisk by it to say he underperformed.

manhn

Team Ski jumping? Canada got the bronze but they barely beat Japan, where one of their members DQ'd due to that whole outfit controversy.

Sylvia

TBD
Team Ski jumping? Canada got the bronze but they barely beat Japan, where one of their members DQ'd due to that whole outfit controversy.
No, "Big Air" not Tuesday’s ski jump mixed team jump event in a different venue.

Yyzskater

That's the irony with the way the TE is designed, since they don't use cumulative points... Technically you could have a competitor go out on the ice and walk off for the two segments, and htey could still get a medal! It's kind of crazy, no?? Saying that Roman is an Olympic Medalist when he essentially finished last in every part of his Olympic competition is so crazy! (2nd last in the short program of the TE, so not completely last in everything..). Are there any other team events that we can think of where this would actually happen?
While I understand where you are coming from, almost all team sports do this. You can have a goalie let in 10 goals but if their team wins, goalie still gets the medal. Same as any poorly performing player in baseball, basketball, football, etc. As long as they were in the game, they get the glory as well. His programs may not have helped his team "win" but he is part of the team.

skatingguy

decently
While I understand where you are coming from, almost all team sports do this. You can have a goalie let in 10 goals but if their team wins, goalie still gets the medal. Same as any poorly performing player in baseball, basketball, football, etc. As long as they were in the game, they get the glory as well. His programs may not have helped his team "win" but he is part of the team.
The men's ice hockey teams have 3 goalies - it's not uncommon that the only time the 3rd goalie is on the ice outside of practice is for the medal ceremony.

Last edited:

Seerek

It just happened earlier in the week for Canada in Ski Jumping in the mixed team, where they won bronze.
Matt Soukup was 9th of 10 in Round 1, then 8th of 8 in Round 2.

(There, they use cumulative points, but Canada's bronze was largely the result of several of the top team's jumps being invalidated (score wiped out) due to ski suit violations as @manhn had just alluded to up above).

PeterG

Roman finished fifth for the long program. Two placements below bronze.

Gosh, you're a gloomy Gus. 😜😜😜

fsfann

Roman finished fifth for the long program. Two placements below bronze.

Gosh, you're a gloomy Gus. 😜😜😜
LOL. Yes... which was last. ;-).

Sorry, I just find it difficult to see someone getting an Olympic medal who bombed every performance. But that is a fault with the set up of the points system. To be honest, I think a fairer calculation should be just adding the cumulative points of each athlete that participates.... But seriously...good on him if he is able to return with an olympic bronze. More than Kurt Browning...lol.

Yyzskater

LOL. Yes... which was last. ;-).

Sorry, I just find it difficult to see someone getting an Olympic medal who bombed every performance. But that is a fault with the set up of the points system. To be honest, I think a fairer calculation should be just adding the cumulative points of each athlete that participates.... But seriously...good on him if he is able to return with an olympic bronze. More than Kurt Browning...lol.
Totally agree with cumulative score calculation. Because their segments are all standalone and the team members don't depend on each other like typical teammates, it would be the fairest way to calculate the results.

screech

I doubt it will happen, but I read someone's suggestion on Twitter that Keegan should be the flag bearer in the closing ceremonies. I actually think he'd be a good pick. He's the embodiment of the Olympic spirit, moved heaven and earth just to get here, has been cheering everyone one (even stopped to help some volunteers make a snow maple leaf). And he has experience carrying/waving a huge flag.

PeterG

I doubt it will happen, but I read someone's suggestion on Twitter that Keegan should be the flag bearer in the closing ceremonies. I actually think he'd be a good pick. He's the embodiment of the Olympic spirit, moved heaven and earth just to get here, has been cheering everyone one (even stopped to help some volunteers make a snow maple leaf). And he has experience carrying/waving a huge flag.!

1. Keegan didn't isolate sufficiently to avoid catching COVID
2. He missed the team event, for which he was very much needed, causing turmoil for all other Team Canada members
3. Keegan's absence forced Roman into a situation for which he was not prepared
4. Keegan's absence possibly (probably?) caused Canada to lose a medal and robbed the other Team Canada members the chance to be an Olympic medalist
5. Keegan was obviously not in the right space to compete when he arrived late and under-performed in the men's event, causing one to wonder if he should have withdrawn much earlier to let another Canadian man a chance at the Olympics
6. Keegan's inability to care for his health and selfishness in not withdrawing caused pressure for Roman which was reflected in how Roman performed in the short program

NO TO THE AMERICAN CARRYING THE CANADIAN FLAG AT THE CLOSING CEREMONY!

:EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE: :EVILLE:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
2. He missed the team event, for which he was very much needed, causing turmoil for all other Team Canada members
4. Keegan's absence possibly (probably?) caused Canada to lose a medal and robbed the other Team Canada members the chance to be an Olympic medalist
5. Keegan was obviously not in the right space to compete when he arrived late and under-performed in the men's event, causing one to wonder if he should have withdrawn much earlier to let another Canadian man a chance at the Olympics
6. Keegan's inability to care for his health and selfishness in not withdrawing caused pressure for Roman which was reflected in how Roman performed in the short program

I guess I just can't dispute any of this no matter how likeable he may be.

angi

1. He didn't walk around licking doorknobs for god's sake, anyone can get C0VID (especially Omicron), even those who are extremely careful, and as we've seen even those inside the secure bubble.
2+3+4. It's on Skate Canada for failing to produce competitive athletes. One skater is not responsible for a team medal, it is a team effort and team Canada (as much as I love many of them) was just not good enough this time. They were also 10 points behind bronze, Keegan being there would have only made them lose the bronze by a slightly smaller gap.
5. Keegan also did not underperform in the men event, he got a SB in the FS and only slightly lower than his PB in the SP.
6. This is just too delusional for me to bother to give a coherent response. It's beyond laughable to think Keegan is somehow responsible for Roman imploding.

I would love to watch Keegan carrying the flag, he is one of the biggest supporters in team Canada and a wonderful guy and skater.

barbarafan

You can catch COVID no matter how many precautions you take.
With Omnicron super easy to catch without leaving the house. Without a test most Ppl do not know they have it. And I am talking Canada. He lives in the US and that is where he caught it. In Alaska they are short many things. Skate Canada should have brought him into a place in almost bubble atmosphere as Olympics approached. He missed doing challenge as there was no one who could tape and supervise a skate from him. Good job Skate Canada.

PeterG

I'm assuming the previous poster was intending satire..

🙃

My post was kind of a bit of everything. I just get tired of posts where a skater and his/her actions (inactions) are seen in just one way. Keegan is a nice guy. Even when he's forcing his heterosexuality down our throats by shoving his phone into the camera lens to show us that figure skating has real men as well as those other fellows.

I remember one time when Evan Lysacek slipped and fell somewhere and injured himself. He missed his next competition because of that injury. I posted that he took himself out of the competition due to carelessness. People thought I was a jerk. Well, I feel the same thing about Keegan as I did about Evan. The majority of Olympic athletes took precautions so as to not catch COVID. Keegan was a bit more relaxed and hung out with (most likely) a trusted person who was carrying the virus and passed it on to him (unknowingly). I think other athletes chose to stay away from people for the weeks leading up to the Olympics and kept their contacts to Zoom and to Facetime.

My point is that to be the person picked to carry the flag in the closing ceremonies, they should pick someone who exercised the proper amount of caution knowing what ALL OF US have known about how things work for the last two years. It seems Keegan got some farewell hugs at some point that bit him in the butt. He should have chosen congratulatory hugs for his Olympic bronze medal once the Olympics were finished. Now he and all his teammates are medal-less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information