Afanasyev's interview with Grishuk

Yuri

A day after the interview with her former partner Evgeny Platov, sport24.ru has an exclusive interview with Oksana Grishuk. In addition to recapping her skating career with Evgeny, Oksana discusses her views of the ice dancing contenders for Beijing 2022. She is pulling for Sinitsina & Katsalapov for gold (calling Zhulin a brilliant choreographer) and is enchanted by the quickly rising Russian couple of Davis & Smolkin. A very "calm" Grishuk interview. :GnP1:

SLIVER

Im ok with D/S so long as they finish where their material and talent should place them, which if everyone skates clean, is around 13/14th behind 3 US, 3 CAN, 2 RUS, FRA, GB, SPA, ITA. They should be fighting it out with the Chinese IMO.

VGThuy

With her pulling for S/K and calling Zhulin a “brilliant” choreographer, it’s true. You never truly forget your first love. And sometimes love blinds you. ;)

I’m just kidding. I absolutely respect her opinion. Her legacy and mark on ice dance is undisputed.

Yuri

Did anyone else pick up on Oksana's comment that she made an attempt at a comeback for a 3rd Olympic medal with Peter Tchernyshev? I am not sure if she has stated that in past interviews, but I know they tried to compete for the USA but the Russian Fed refused to release her to skate for America. I don't think many recall that when Grishuk & Platov briefly split in 1992 and Evgeny skated with Tatyana Navka for a while in Lake Placid under Dubova, Oksana tried out with Peter T in Moscow under Linichuk.

Last edited:

irenemulindwairen

With her pulling for S/K and calling Zhulin a “brilliant” choreographer, it’s true. You never truly forget your first love. And sometimes love blinds you. ;)

I’m just kidding. I absolutely respect her opinion. Her legacy and mark on ice dance is undisputed.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Zhulin did not grow up in the IJS system and has commented many times about how he, well, hates it for ice dance. I think he probably thinks of his choreographies in two groups - programs he can create without restrictions and IJS competitive programs.

soogar

Zhulin was an incredible skater and most of his progs with Usova were masterpieces, sadly the work he's done for N/K, B/S and S/K is very far from 'brilliant'. Navka's 2006 Carmen was God awful (maybe because he was so average). I actually prefer what he choreographed for Navka/Morozov.
That's not Zhulin's fault. That's the crappy rule changes that force ice dancing to mimic ballroom dancing. I think it favors North American pairs because they don't focus on ballet training or have great dramatic facial expressions. Ugh, I can't stand the fake smiles and wide open mouths to simulate passion on ice. It's so howdy doody. It seems like only now, that skaters are learning to become creative with the prescribed technical elements and I think this is all due to P&C. I really appreciate the way Chock and Bates stepped it up for the past 3 years. Love their snake dancer and alien free programs.

VGThuy

That's not Zhulin's fault. That's the crappy rule changes that force ice dancing to mimic ballroom dancing. I think it favors North American pairs because they don't focus on ballet training or have great dramatic facial expressions. Ugh, I can't stand the fake smiles and wide open mouths to simulate passion on ice. It's so howdy doody. It seems like only now, that skaters are learning to become creative with the prescribed technical elements and I think this is all due to P&C. I really appreciate the way Chock and Bates stepped it up for the past 3 years. Love their snake dancer and alien free programs.
Which is funny but all the rule changes happened after 1992 and Europeans dominated ice dance with Bourne/Kraatz and then Belbin/Agosto sprinkled in until 2010. That’s still 18 years. IJS just put more emphasis of elements which Igor/Marina got their teams to nail down. Montreal actually still emphasizes ballroom and dance genres where people actually have to keep up to a rhythm and a beat but they have a great treasure trove of experts and dancers they work with. Their own dance vocabulary is also better than Igor/Marina and anything Zhulin can come up with.

Over the top faces and cheesy Lawrence Welk style dances are bad I agree, but so was the faux angst, tattered clothing, “O” faces that dominated forever as well. It all depends on the teams and some teams can pull anything off.

Amantide

A day after the interview with her former partner Evgeny Platov, sport24.ru has an exclusive interview with Oksana Grishuk. In addition to recapping her skating career with Evgeny, Oksana discusses her views of the ice dancing contenders for Beijing 2022. She is pulling for Sinitsina & Katsalapov for gold (calling Zhulin a brilliant choreographer) and is enchanted by the quickly rising Russian couple of Davis & Smolkin. A very "calm" Grishuk interview. :GnP1:

Lol @ "calm"

This woman will always have my unquestionable loyalty, eternal admiration and love, despite the crap she talks sometimes. :D The sheer passion, ambition, hard work and determination she showed during her career was phenomenal. Her deep running edges were to die for. :swoon:
She's mah Queen!:glamor: Back then, now and always! :GnP1:

Amantide

Zhulin was an incredible skater and most of his progs with Usova were masterpieces, sadly the work he's done for N/K, B/S and S/K is very far from 'brilliant'. Navka's 2006 Carmen was God awful (maybe because he was so average). I actually prefer what he choreographed for Navka/Morozov.
I loved those two and loved their programs. They were indeed beautiful. Well, except for their FD in 94. I didn't like that one. But they did some beautiful programs as prof. too.

They were such a great match as a couple and they could be versatile. They could be passionate and romantic, sexy, playful, quirky. They had that flow and sync back then which was just beautiful to watch.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Which is funny but all the rule changes happened after 1992 and Europeans dominated ice dance with Bourne/Kraatz and then Belbin/Agosto sprinkled in until 2010. That’s still 18 years. IJS just put more emphasis of elements which Igor/Marina got their teams to nail down. Montreal actually still emphasizes ballroom and dance genres where people actually have to keep up to a rhythm and a beat but they have a great treasure trove of experts and dancers they work with. Their own dance vocabulary is also better than Igor/Marina and anything Zhulin can come up with.

Over the top faces and cheesy Lawrence Welk style dances are bad I agree, but so was the faux angst, tattered clothing, “O” faces that dominated forever as well. It all depends on the teams and some teams can pull anything off.
No. Marina has nothing to do here. IGOR made his team learn IJS. He was the mastermind. She's still a poacher.

VGThuy

No. Marina has nothing to do here. IGOR made his team learn IJS. He was the mastermind. She's still a poacher.
Well, he’s not a mastermind anymore. His best days were with her and vice versa. She may be untalented and non-technik but for some reason they were at their best together. It was he who made his bed when he wanted to start coaching younger teams without her (and use his now partner as choreographer or co-choreographer). She’s sneaky and a poacher but that doesn’t mean she’s always the wrong one.

Xela M

Lol @ "calm"

This woman will always have my unquestionable loyalty, eternal admiration and love, despite the crap she talks sometimes. :D The sheer passion, ambition, hard work and determination she showed during her career was phenomenal. Her deep running edges were to die for. :swoon:
She's mah Queen!:glamor: Back then, now and always! :GnP1:
THIS!!!!!! The absolutely undisputed Queen of ice dance!!!

And Libertango is still my favourite ice dance of all time :GnP1:

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
Did anyone else pick up on Oksana's comment that she made an attempt at a comeback for a 3rd Olympic medal with Peter Tchernyshev? I am not sure if she has stated that in past interviews, but I know they tried to compete for the USA but the Russian Fed refused to release her to skate for America.
Thank goodness for Naomi Lang!!

Yuri

Thank goodness for Naomi Lang!!
I'm not 100% positive on the timing, but I think the potential Grishuk/Tchernyshev partnership would have been for the 2006 or maybe even the 2010 Olympics, not 2002 when he was still skating with Naomi Lang (and continued to do so competitively until they withdrew from US Nationals in 2004). Moreover, Oksana gave birth to her daughter Skyler in the summer of 2002. However, in 2006 Oksana competed in Russia's Dancing on Ice celebrity skating show and placed first (her first real skating in years). She also had her initial reunion with Evgeny Platov there as he was also competing with a celebrity partner. After winning in 2006, Oksana also participated in 2007 and finished 3rd.

When Oksana & Evgeny's reunion was limited to several performances in Russia and then in Nagano for the 10-year Olympics anniversary (he was still a full-time coach for World and Olympic ice dancers at this time), and not a return to professional shows or even Olympic competition a la Torvill & Dean, turning to Tchernyshev then would better fit the timeline. Peter at 6-foot-2 is a couple inches taller than Evgeny and roughly Oksana's age, so it would have been a very interesting partnership to watch.

Yuri

And the cherry on top is the three different people who claimed to have choreographed them! :rofl:
I was there to WITNESS the entire development of their amazing 1996-97 programs! Hell I almost had more to do with their choreography than Linichuk! Frankly, Oksana & Evgeny did most of the choreography themselves. But that story is for another day...

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I'm not 100% positive on the timing, but I think the potential Grishuk/Tchernyshev partnership would have been for the 2006 or maybe even the 2010 Olympics, not 2002 when he was still skating with Naomi Lang (and continued to do so competitively until they withdrew from US Nationals in 2004).
Now that's interesting. I'm thinking a Grishuk/Peter T pairing certainly could beat Gregory/Petukhov; or in a worst case scenario, that #3 team we sent to the 2006 Olympics.

Yuri

Now that's interesting. I'm thinking a Grishuk/Peter T pairing certainly could beat Gregory/Petukhov; or in a worst case scenario, that #3 team we sent to the 2006 Olympics.
OK just confirmed with a VERY reliable source :sekret::rofl: that the Grishuk comeback attempt with Tchernyshev was in 2006. And yes, I agree they wouldn't have had any problems qualifying for Team USA. I am fairly certain Oksana already had her full US citizenship by then since she had already lived nearly 12 years in America.

Last edited:

VGThuy

OK just confirmed with a VERY reliable source :sekret::rofl: that the Grishuk comeback attempt with Tchernyshev was in 2006. And yes, I agree they wouldn't have had any problems qualifying for Team USA. I am fairly certain Oksana already had her full US citizenship by then since she had already lived nearly 12 years in America.
We were robbed.

Amantide

I was there to WITNESS the entire development of their amazing 1996-97 programs! Hell I almost had more to do with their choreography than Linichuk! Frankly, Oksana & Evgeny did most of the choreography themselves. But that story is for another day...
I want to know, please...:TT1:

Amantide

We were robbed.
Indeed! Can you imagine...Grishuk vs Navka+coach Zhulin! :GnP1::navkos1::glamor::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information