OAS ("Obscure" 4CC skaters) news & articles

Sylvia

TBD
Kicking off this thread with an article on Hong Kong's Joanna So, 22 (ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034480.htm) who recently won the bronze medal at the Asian Open Trophy in Beijing:
Excerpts:
Announcing her retirement two years ago because of academic stress, So returned to the rink this year to win her second Hong Kong Figure Skating and Short Track Speed Skating Championships title in July, before competing in her first international event at the Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany last month.
“I was kind of shocked to be on the podium at first,” she said. “Everything was so fast – like a dream. I was really happy and so were my family and teammates. [...]
Remarkably, her return to competing was mere happenstance – on a trip to the UK this year, So’s best friend convinced her to bring her gear along for some leisurely outdoor skating. Upon seeing her on the ice, her friend said she “still had it”.
“Then I came back to Hong Kong and started morning training with the Hong Kong team again,” So said. “I realised if I really wanted to do this properly, I needed a new coach to help, so I went to Wuxi [Jiangsu province] where my coach is based and where I train out of now. I really thank my friend with all my heart for helping me re-find my motivation.
“The skaters’ average skills have increased a lot, actually,” she said. “You see younger skaters now doing triples. There are two new rinks in Hong Kong, so that’s an increase in training venues.
“The financial support from athletes is also a lot better than what it used to be since skating is a Hong Kong Sports Institute Tier A sport. The support skaters have had has increased despite the pandemic and not being able to go out to compete that often.
“I believe [young female skaters] have been and will be able to take the sport to a much higher level than I can. We’ve got Kahlen [Cheung Cheuk-ka] and [Cherrie] Chan Tsz-ching, who has been doing triples since she was really young – much more advanced than what I was doing at that age.
“There’s also Christy Leung Yi who competes at a high level. I really look forward to the Hong Kong skating scene going up and I think we will get good results in the future.”
Since she mentions Yi Christy Leung in the present tense, hopefully this means Leung will be back in competition in the future (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Edrian Celestino posted an Instagram story clip today of his 3Lz+3T (while his SP music was playing) with the caption "last time I get to do this indoors for a while 😢" - he trains in the Montreal area and restrictions at ice rinks must be back, unfortunately.

I assume this could be a reason why he was not listed by the Philippines on the 4CC entries list?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Edrian Celestino posted an Instagram story clip today of his 3Lz+3T (while his SP music was playing) with the caption "last time I get to do this indoors for a while 😢" - he trains in the Montreal area and restrictions at ice rinks must be back, unfortunately.

I assume this could be a reason why he was not listed by the Philippines on the 4CC entries list?
I don't think that's why he's not on the Philippines 4CC entries list. I fully expected he would be on the entry list and was surprised not to see him. He is Canadian by birth so I'm sure potential travel restrictions aren't the issue.
Montreal just went to a 10pm curfew, only take-out from restaurants, no religious gatherings, and funerals limited to 25 people. I'm not surprised, but what a shame for the skaters.
Anyone want to bet that the US Olympic-bound ice dancers are now packing their bags with the expectation that they won't be returning to Montreal post-Nationals? This could be a challenge for the Canadian teams that train in Montreal though (F-B/S and LajLag)

Sylvia

TBD
These are the "OAS" skaters entered for 4CC (excluding the Australians who have their own skating news thread):

Men:
Harrison Jon-Yen WONG HKG
Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ
Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ
Donovan CARRILLO MEX
Matthew SAMUELS RSA

Women:
Joanna SO HKG
Tara PRASAD IND
Eugenia GARZA MEX
Andrea MONTESINOS CANTU MEX
Jocelyn HONG NZL
Sofia Lexi Jacqueline FRANK PHI

Ice Dance
Charlotte LAFOND-FOURNIER / Richard Kang In KAM NZL

IDC a.k.a. Ritti

IIRC it was created some 20 years ago to be a counterpart for OES (Obscure European Skater), referring to "obscure" Asian/American/Australian/African skaters. So Sylvia's thread title, complete with the quotation marks, is spot-on :)

aussieSKATES

These are the "OAS" skaters entered for 4CC (excluding the Australians who have their own skating news thread):

Men:
Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ
Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ
Donovan CARRILLO MEX
Matthew SAMUELS RSA

Women:
Joanna SO HKG
Tara PRASAD IND
Eugenia GARZA MEX
Jocelyn HONG NZL

Ice Dance
How great to see New Zealand represented at Four Continents again.

I believe the last time they sent an athlete to the event was more than a decade ago in 2010.

Andrea82

Men:
Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ
Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ
Donovan CARRILLO MEX
Matthew SAMUELS RSA

Women:
Joanna SO HKG
Tara PRASAD IND
Eugenia GARZA MEX
Jocelyn HONG NZL

Ice Dance
I am bit surprised by the absence of Celestino.

aussieSKATES

Men:
Dias JIRENBAYEV KAZ
Mikhail SHAIDOROV KAZ
Donovan CARRILLO MEX
Matthew SAMUELS RSA

Women:
Joanna SO HKG
Tara PRASAD IND
Eugenia GARZA MEX
Jocelyn HONG NZL

Ice Dance
Tara Prasad from India is such an entertaining skater. We really enjoyed her free skate from the recent Nebelhorn Trophy.

So great to see that country being represented on the Championship stage again.

MsZem

I see the sea

livetoskate

Talk about dedication! Donovan is so impressive.
"
However, of all the deterrents, COVID-19 has been the most challenging. After rinks all over the country closed in the early days of the pandemic, Núñez ordered a jump harness from the United States and talked a local blacksmith into making a frame from which to hang it, allowing Carrillo to practice jumps and turns on dry land.

It proved to be one of the most important improvisations of Carrillo’s career because it forced him to break down his moves and focus on technique. When he returned to the ice four months later, he was a far better skater than when he left."

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
How great to see New Zealand represented at Four Continents again.

I believe the last time they sent an athlete to the event was more than a decade ago in 2010.

Ice Dance
Has anyone taken a look at Richard Kang In Kam's hobbies? It sure is a lot more interesting and obskure than the typical dog walking, reading, listening to music:

Hobbies: extreme ironing, eating lemons, earth bending, memes

:rofl:

I hope he does an Avatar: The Last Airbender themed program sometime. :lol:

Jonas

Kudos to Mikhail Shaidorov of KAZ for killin' it jumpwise in the FS at Four Continents! His choreography actually isn't that bad either -- he just utterly lacks any performance quality, which hopefully will improve w/more opportunities! Presuming he'll go back to Jr. Worlds, I think he'll be in the mix there.

Your thoughts...

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Kudos to Mikhail Shaidorov of KAZ for killin' it jumpwise in the FS at Four Continents! His choreography actually isn't that bad either -- he just utterly lacks any performance quality, which hopefully will improve w/more opportunities! Presuming he'll go back to Jr. Worlds, I think he'll be in the mix there.

Your thoughts...
Shaidorov is wonderful. To me, he resembles a very young (‘82-‘84) Brian Boitano in looks…not just his moves. Even the way that he looks at the judges as he skates by. Nearsighted? Definitely timid, like early Boitano.

Vagabond

Given that Alexei Urmanov is his coach, I feel sure that Mikhail Shaidorov will get all the training he needs to sell a program.

Seerek

Your thoughts...

I was noting this during the Junior Grand Prix when Shaidorov medaled why Jirenbayev (27th) was sent to Nebelhorn instead of him?

Did I miss something as per selection process?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information