Word Games

Susan1

I've played for the first time last night, just before bedtime (I've stumbled across this thread). I was very proud, to get it in the fourth row.
:p
I said mine was beginner's luck when I got the 4th row first time. Nothing the next day. 5th row this morning.

If anyone is doing this on anything where you clean out your history, your stats go away, so I'm going to keep track here.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Has anyone tried Absurdle yet?

Created 10 days ago (but picking up steam ever since), Absurdle mimics the surface gameplay of Wordle (there's a grid, five-letter word guesses, and clues in the form of coloured letters) only with a devilish twist: Instead of starting with a secret word that players work their way towards, Absurdle doesn't have a single word up its sleeve. The game starts with 2,315 possibilities and responds to each of your guesses by keeping the maximum number of potential secret words in its back pocket, forcing you to narrow its options down until you essentially trap the AI into only having one word left.

It took me 12 tries to get the first word and nine to get the second. :drama:

SkateSand

Cat Servant

Created 10 days ago (but picking up steam ever since), Absurdle mimics the surface gameplay of Wordle (there's a grid, five-letter word guesses, and clues in the form of coloured letters) only with a devilish twist: Instead of starting with a secret word that players work their way towards, Absurdle doesn't have a single word up its sleeve. The game starts with 2,315 possibilities and responds to each of your guesses by keeping the maximum number of potential secret words in its back pocket, forcing you to narrow its options down until you essentially trap the AI into only having one word left.

Ooh! This game is evil! Thanks! :cheer2:

nlloyd

Tried Absurdle and gave up after eight tries for the first word. I had the last four letters in the right sequence, and a few letters left, none of which worked. Gave up, saw the answer, and realized I had forgotten I could use one of the letters in the existing sequence twice - was too fixated with getting a yet-to-be-used letter on the keyboard to work with my existing sequence. Will give it another shot tomorrow. I like the challenge.

Miezekatze

I like the game, but the last 2 or 3 days it always had words I - as a non English speaker - didn't actually know, which is a bit frustrating (even though I still managed to guess 2 of them by guessing words that sounded as if they might exist :p ).

I guess despite watching all Netflix series in English I still have rooms for improvements with my vocabulary.

Susan1

Tried Absurdle and gave up after eight tries for the first word. I had the last four letters in the right sequence, and a few letters left, none of which worked. Gave up, saw the answer, and realized I had forgotten I could use one of the letters in the existing sequence twice - was too fixated with getting a yet-to-be-used letter on the keyboard to work with my existing sequence. Will give it another shot tomorrow. I like the challenge.
I got it in 7 rows. Another beginner's luck. I'm not going to do it again and ruin my streak of one. And that's probably why I didn't get today's Wordle at all.

Jenny

From the Bloc

I'll leave it to you to account for the half hour of my day I just spent on that :lol:

That's a fun one. Played it ten times and after getting the first one in 8, I bounced between 6 and 7 until finally getting it in 5 on the last try. So far a key thing seems to be doing two completely different words for the first and second try, using as many vowels as possible just to narrow it down.

Does it remember what you did game to game do you know? Like outsmarting me knowing the kind of words I'm going to try first?

Last edited:

gkelly

OK, I spent some time on Absurdle last night and this morning.

From my experience and the description in Prancer's post, I suspect it is impossible to narrow it down to a single word in less than 6 guesses.

I may do some further experimenting to confirm that suspicion, at least circumstantially.

And yes, it is very helpful to remember you can reuse a letter that you've already confirmed as being elsewhere in the word.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I got the absurdle in 8, 8, and 11 tries. So far no matter how I start, I'm getting I and E in yellow around the third or fourth try.

ETA: but when I used I and E in the first try, I ended up with hunky as the answer :lol:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
So far, nearly every word I have done has required duplicate letters. Anticipating this has improved my scores.
So far a key thing seems to be doing two completely different words for the first and second try, using as many vowels as possible just to narrow it down.
Yes, the strategy is quite different from Wordle, at least for me.
Does it remember what you did game to game do you know? Like outsmarting me knowing the kind of words I'm going to try first?
Not that I know of.

If you get annoyed, you can always try Sweardle :lol:. There's also Queerdle (Wordle, but yassified), Letterle (guess only one letter a day) and for those who are finding Wordle just too easy, Hello Wordl, which allows you to change the word length.

I refuse to accept any blame for the time you are all going to waste on this.

gkelly

OK, I spent some time on Absurdle last night and this morning.

From my experience and the description in Prancer's post, I suspect it is impossible to narrow it down to a single word in less than 6 guesses.

I may do some further experimenting to confirm that suspicion, at least circumstantially.

One time my 5th guess, CODON, was wrong, but then CONDO on the 6th guess was correct.
I went back and made the same first 4 guesses and then chose CONDO for the 5th, and that was accepted.
So it is possible to narrow it down in 5 guesses. I guess CODON is an acceptable word to guess but is not in the game's bank of possible words for that game.

On the other hand, when I chose HASTE on the 5th guess, first letter was wrong, so then I had to go through WASTE, BASTE, and CASTE before getting a correct hit with TASTE.

I tried again with the same first 4 choices and TASTE at the 5th line, but this time it rejected TASTE and made me cycle through the other possible first letters before giving me the win at the 9th try. So I guess all those words are in its word bank.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I used DELTA for my first word in Wordle today.

I fear I'll be trying C O V I D in the foreseeable future.

text_skate

Absurdle: My first guess was with 6 rows. Beginners luck. Now I need more rows

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩🟨🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟨🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I'm hooked. This is fun. I've also tried the wordle archive. After long hours this is better than watching TV.

Today it took me all possible tries to figure out wordle. A word I never heard of in my life. Just a lucky guess. I'm not sure it's common in English (mostly it's described with two words).

Susan1

Stop making me do this. So can we say what words we did now, since there isn't one per day? I only had an A in the right place and I used up all the normal letters. I only had the ones left in Scrabble that are worth the most points. And I got "jazzy" on the 7th try. Who would pick those letters in the first 5 tries? The next one was in 10 tries. I won't say what, in case it's still cycling through.

gkelly

There isn't one word in Absurdle. There's a whole bank of words and the choices narrow down depending on what you guess. If you guess the same words in a different order, you'll end up with a different "winning" answer.

Susan1

For Wordle - I think you can say the word the next day?
Yeah, I was talking about Absurdle since people were naming words, and there is more than one word per day. And I got in trouble for saying there wasn't an S in the day before's word in Wordle.

Wordle-wise, I got today's in 5.

Here are some more articles. And one has similar games in it. I used to play Wordscraper - like Scrabble, little brown tiles and all - with a friend in Australia, so we would only take a turn every 12 hours or so. She kept winning. When I finally won after about 10 games, I posted it on my FB (giving her credit for all her wins, of course).

Last edited:

Jenny

From the Bloc
So I guess I've been playing in hard mode honor system because I never changed the setting but I always use all the clues I've got. It's only 6 tries after all, can't waste them!

As for Absurdle, spent a bit (too much) time on it :lol: yesterday and it wears thin rather fast when you start to see how it gets you. Because there are unlimited tries (at least I haven't hit the wall yet) I've been doing two completely different words to start, knowing it will automatically give me zero letters in the first shot and so in the second I'm forcing it. What's interesting though is how often you can fall into what I think is its biggest trap, and that's coming up with a word where two or even one letter can be replaced by a number of others, and then it's just going to wear you down until there aren't any left. (I didn't even know wight was a word until I had to go through fight might right sight tight etc several times.)

At this point I'll go with Absurdle only as as a warm up for Wordle - I don't want to blow my streak!

Last edited:

Susan1

Well, I forgot to attach the articles in my previous post.

After I mentioned Wordscraper, which reminded me of the Words with Friends that I saw in one article.

Speaking of stressed out ^. My landline phone light on my router suddenly went out last night and I was afraid I was going to have a fire or a medical emergency and wouldn't be able to get to my emergency flip phone in time. I know people don't have landlines anymore because they have smart phones. I can't afford it. I don't use my regular phone much. I don't answer all the spam calls. The flip phone is in case the power goes out. It's hard for me to press on flat screens to do anything. I have to use the side of my thumb on the microwave buttons and I still can't press hard enough sometimes. I hit the 4 minutes instead of the 1 minute a couple days ago and noticed when it was down to 2:30. The glass could have exploded.

Rambling. AT&T had me reset the router, through their chat page. Phone is back.

nlloyd

Wordle 220 3/6 (still a few hours before 221 is available here)

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And completed one Absurdle in eight tries. Still figuring out my strategy for Absurdle.

hoptoad

Is anyone playing wordle in other languages?

It took me 5 tries to get today's wordle. Then I saw a link for one in Latin, which I barely got in 6, then I googled for one in Spanish, which I somehow got in 5.

I may have to look into that tab grouping thing to keep track. :slinkaway

https://wordle.latindictionary.io

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information