Grand Prix Series of Seasons 2022/23 & 2023/24

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
We just need a new arena. :slinkaway

SCOB or the rink in Leesburg might work if USFS wants to go smaller/cheaper, as long as those places can be heated sufficiently.
SCOB is quite warm, but the Albright sheet only has 2,500 seats.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If Skate America goes back to Vegas, there's a huge music festival just announced there all day on the 22nd. $$$ prices, I bet.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It was there last year, too.
That was EDC which was at a speedway as far as I know and quite far out. People also like to camp out at those multi-day EDM festivals ;) This is a 2000s band thing and much closer to the arena (of course, if it's even in Vegas again), but only lasting one day.

Jonas

A GP in New Jersey would be awesome. :)

Yes, East Coast, but not Lake Placid.

My first live event was 2005 Skate America in Atlantic City! Boardwalk Hall, IMO, is an ideal venue for a Skate America -- not too big of an arena, easy access to the Boardwalk, and plenty of hotels to which you can walk to and from the event! Lindsay Thorngren is a Jersey girl, so I hope the USFSA makes this happen again!!

I watched 2006 Skate America live in Hartford, CT, also. Don't mind driving up there neither!

Your thoughts...

Debbie S

Your thoughts...
Well, since you asked... ;)

I also went to 05 SA and don't have a burning desire to go back to AC, but I would go. :) I didn't go to SA in 06, but Hartford is fine with me.

Would love to see Lindsay at SA.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was in AC and Hartford, too. AC is really a dangerous place now, I wouldn't recommend it. SA couldn't fill the big arena in downtown DC unfortunately. Reading had the right size arena but isn't shall we say a tourist-attractive city like Vegas or Nashville.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Reading had the right size arena but isn't shall we say a tourist-attractive city like Vegas or Nashville.
Its not but the only real problem is lack of a nearby airport. Reading now has a nice hotel directly across from the arena. Its actually now a good set-up.

Atlantic City was a one of a kind thing. I'm glad I went. Weird for sure but so fun!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
We just need a new arena. :slinkaway

SCOB or the rink in Leesburg might work if USFS wants to go smaller/cheaper, as long as those places can be heated sufficiently.
For me the only place better than Las Vegas would be anywhere in Arizona. LOL.

My first SA was in 1993 in Dallas. My most recent was in Vegas (2021).

Debbie S

I was in AC and Hartford, too. AC is really a dangerous place now, I wouldn't recommend it. SA couldn't fill the big arena in downtown DC unfortunately. Reading had the right size arena but isn't shall we say a tourist-attractive city like Vegas or Nashville.
And the arena was freezing. And the Sheraton bumped a bunch of people at the last minute b/c they oversold their rooms. Although if there is a new hotel near the arena (that knows how to count rooms), that could be an improvement.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Arizona or California please. It is too expensive to fly to the east coast. :)

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
We went to Marco Island in early December and drove right by Hertz Arena on our way back to the Fort Myers airport (one or two exits away). I commented to DH that they could hold SA there. Several hotels and restaurants down the road, easy airport, easy car rental.

(Probably not too convenient for those on the West coast though.)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
We went to Marco Island in early December and drove right by Hertz Arena on our way back to the Fort Myers airport (one or two exits away). I commented to DH that they could hold SA there. Several hotels and restaurants down the road, easy airport, easy car rental.

(Probably not too convenient for those on the West coast though.)
Well Florida brings a different set of problems, or will as long as the crud is around....

Honestly the biggest population centers are in the northeast. I'd go to Long Island or Hartford or any other mid-sized arena as long as it doesn't mean flying across the country and as long as there is a convenient airport.

mattiecat13

Can’t beat the weather in Vegas either. It was beautiful!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I wish they’d move the French GP back to Paris - Grenoble is a really awkward place to get to in November because it’s not even during the ski season. From a UK perspective - if you’re not coming from London it takes ages to get there and who has that many holiday days to spend? I’d need to take closer to a week off to go to an event that lasts basically 2 days.

(I’m quite pro give French spot to Italy OR make it a European GP that rotates between 3/4 different countries. Not saying it’s practical - but dream scenarios don’t tend to be so I don’t care)
Good news for you is that it's not in Grenoble next season. Bad news is it's not in Paris either.

Hindernisse

I haven’t heard of Angers until fairly recently when it came up in the French class.

Orléans is a rather boring city, so there won’t be any regrets in spending the whole weekend at the rink. It’s not that far away from Paris by train.

smurfy

I live about 10 miles from the Hartford Civic Center - so I would love it to be there.
There is a Hilton Hotel attached to the arena and in 2005 the skaters really loved the easy access.
But the hotel is really struggling and talks of apartment conversion going on.
There are other hotels in the area - but wonder if the Hilton shuts down - if that would be a negative impact.

ChillSkate

Has anyone heard anything more about where 2022 Skate America and Skate Canada will be located? Sounds like Grand Prix France will be in Angers and the Grand Prix Final will be in Turin but do we have any other info on locations yet?

I really enjoyed 2021 Skate America in Las Vegas -- arena was the right size with good views, it was convenient to lots of other things to do, plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby, Vegas has a big airport with lots of flights, weather is nice in Vegas in October, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information