Skate Canada 2022 Olympics selection criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
What’s the deal with Kirsten and Meagan? I didn’t realize they don’t like each other. Is that why MT/M spent less time training with Bruno? The interview with them at the end seemed a bit off but I couldn’t tell.
The interview where Kirsten credited Meagan for the advice she gave her post Golden Spin that helped her snap out of her funk? :lol:

LL22

There are a lot of people commenting about J/R being named to the Olympics. However, there are also a lot of people not saying anything at all, and that actually says a lot.

I understand the emotional component to this story, however, J/R have ALL the highest scores of the season. One good event in a full season does not make an Olympic berth in any country.

aml78

The interview where Kirsten credited Meagan for the advice she gave her post Golden Spin that helped her snap out of her funk? :lol:
Yup! Where Meagan probably told her to get over it?

in an interview Meagan alluded to rink drama as a reason she isn’t coaching much. Is there more info on that?

rink_mom

This explains some of the reactions to all of this - some quotes from the article:

"“Our spot is secured,” Vanessa James proclaimed before she and partner Eric Radford pulled out of the pairs at the Canadian Championships."

---

"James had entered the women’s dressing room after a sketchy short program and proclaimed, “Our spot is secured,” Walsh recalled.

It sounded like it was all in the bag for James and Radford, and James knew it, regardless of whether they earned a medal or even skated in the long program.

“It was not directed at me,’’ Walsh told the Star about James’ declaration. “But it was quite loud. Loud enough that my coach overheard it from the corridor.”"

----

"The exchange in the dressing room — it really was only a one-way conversation — was reported to Skate Canada. At least one person who sits on the board of directors was told about it. Two people with knowledge of the incident have described it to the Star as “bullying.” Moore-Towers, who is the Safe Sport representative, was aware of the incident.

The incident might not rise to the level of bullying. It could just be part and parcel of the sometimes toxic environment that hangs over an intensely competitive — and, frankly, bitchy — sport, behind the facade of glitter and rictus smiles."

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
That puts into some perspective a comment Mike made in post victory interview. It gave me the impression at the time that they might have felt the will they/won't they skate leading up to Nationals and the withdrawal after the SP was a bit of mind games going on.

eta... To clarify I can't read the whole article and I see who wrote it. But I did wonder about a comment made in the interview and the extracts from this article make sense of it.

sap5

I can’t read the article either. What was bullying? Saying “our spot is secured?”

It’s a shame this article was written by Rosie DiManno. I don’t believe a word she writes because she’s written so much trash over the years.

That doesn’t mean I don’t believe actual quotes though.

rink_mom

nasoI can’t read the article either. What was bullying? Saying “our spot was secured?”
walking into the dressing room after the short and basically saying we don't need to do anything the spot is ours - personally I wouldn't say it is bullying from that alone as bullying is repeated behaviour (but maybe this is repeated behaviour - the athletes around them certainly will have their reasons for feeling that way ) but it is seems like harassment and at the least and shows exactly what kind of person she is and how Skate Canada are behaving.

sap5

walking into the dressing room after the short and basically saying we don't need to do anything the spot is ours - personally I wouldn't say it is bullying from that alone as bullying is repeated behaviour (but maybe this is repeated behaviour - the athletes around them certainly will have their reasons for feeling that way ) but it is seems like harassment and at the least and shows exactly what kind of person she is and how Skate Canada are behaving.
It does explain why J/R seem to be disliked by many other skaters.

wickedwitch

The irony... Eric cited doing more shows as one reason he partnered with Vanessa. And unless they pull off a miracle at the Olys, they may have burned every bridge in the Canadian skating community and won't be getting those show offers regardless.

(From the description, "bullying" seems a little over the top, but obviously I wasn't there to see/hear it.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I brought up this exact theory back in April when the partnership was announced.
I wouldn't put it past SC to have at least been "behind the scenes" on this from the point 2021 Worlds ended.

The SC promotion of their new partnership (like this https://skatecanada.ca/2021/04/vanessa-james-and-eric-radford-to-compete-in-pairs-together/) was certainly more high-profile than for most other new teams.

There's a theory in organizations called "escalation of commitment", which basically says that if an organization makes a decision that turns out to be a bad decision, it may make even more bad decisions later on - even though it knows those are bad decisions - because it doesn't want to make the first decision look like even more of a mistake. While keeping in mind that there are reasons for both J/R and W/M to have been given that one Olympic spot, maybe there is also some escalation of commitment going on here with regard to the choice that was made.

Last edited:

rink_mom

The irony... Eric cited doing more shows as one reason he partnered with Vanessa. And unless they pull off a miracle at the Olys, they may have burned every bridge in the Canadian skating community and won't be getting those show offers regardless.

(From the description, "bullying" seems a little over the top, but obviously I wasn't there to see/hear it.)
Totally agree - I can't see anyone wanting to tour with them....

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

I always wondered if he meant more opportunities in Europe as well. Because in North America I don't see how they would have faired better than he would with Duhamel as they were more titled.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
It’s a shame this article was written by Rosie DiManno. I don’t believe a word she writes because she’s written so much trash over the years.

That doesn’t mean I don’t believe actual quotes though.

Plus, unless Rosie DiManno was there to witness the alleged exchange, or unless she's involved with Safe Sport, her opinion as to whether it was bullying or not is meaningless.

rink_mom

Plus, unless Rosie DiManno was there to witness the alleged exchange, or unless she's involved with Safe Sport, her opinion as to whether it was bullying or not is meaningless.
She says "Two people with knowledge of the incident have described it to the Star as “bullying.”

her opinion says "The incident might not rise to the level of bullying. It could just be part and parcel of the sometimes toxic environment that hangs over an intensely competitive — and, frankly, bitchy — sport, behind the facade of glitter and rictus smiles."

Bullying aren't her words - but words quoted to her

coppertop1

And what's the game plan after Beijing? I doubt Vanessa and Eric will stick around from 2026. Skate Canada hyped up a team that's a one off. How much longer are Kristen and Michael going to be around?

skategal

Bunny mama
And what's the game plan after Beijing? I doubt Vanessa and Eric will stick around from 2026. Skate Canada hyped up a team that's a one off. How much longer are Kristen and Michael going to be around?
Kirsten and Michael have said that this is their last season.

rink_mom

And the parents of every up and coming kid with a dream have just been shown it is pointless putting in the time - Skate Canada may well have shot themselves in the foot with this for future skaters!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
She says "Two people with knowledge of the incident have described it to the Star as “bullying.”

her opinion says "The incident might not rise to the level of bullying. It could just be part and parcel of the sometimes toxic environment that hangs over an intensely competitive — and, frankly, bitchy — sport, behind the facade of glitter and rictus smiles."

Bullying aren't her words - but words quoted to her

"The incident might not rise to the level of bullying" seems to be her evaluation of the situation. IMO even in an opinion piece it's not appropriate to make that sort of evaluation.

wickedwitch

I always wondered if he meant more opportunities in Europe as well. Because in North America I don't see how they would have faired better than he would with Duhamel as they were more titled.
He implied Duhamel would be too busy with her child to tour. (Which I always thought was a made up reason, but who knows?)

Cherub721

YEAH!
It's obvious they got the all clear to withdraw because their spot was secure. Eric said this:

James and Radford, who teamed up last spring, pulled out of the competition Saturday after their fourth-place finish in Friday's short program. They said they weren't fully recovered to perform at their best.

"We think we made the best decision for us, so that we can be the best in a month when it's the most important," Radford said Sunday.

You wouldn't be withdrawing so you could skate your best in a month, if you thought you had to skate Nationals to be at the Olympics in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information