Papadakis/Cizeron #10 - Waacking All The Way To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRed

In the Skate Canada episode, they talked about how that panel was strict on twizzles. I haven't listened to the GP Italy dance episode yet, but that's probably why they focused on it. G/F both got level 3 in the RD, and he got level 3 in the FD at SC, for example.

It's not a huge amount of points, but you don't want to risk giving away any BV points that you don't have to, especially not this season.

hlimfan27

My only complaint is with their pillar lift (def. a D&W rip off, if I'm fair, but much better). I just think they could be served by something much better, but maybe it's just awaiting better execution?
V/M did a lift like this in Carmen (12/13 season) before D/W did it in their 13/14 FD. I personally haven’t seen other teams do this lift but maybe one even did the lift before V/M? Either way, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a D/W rip off. BUT I do agree I life P/C doing it more than D/W.

Also, anyone else prefer the previous music in the middle section of the RD? I thought it fit better with the music in the first and third sections much more. I just don’t love the new music edit but despite that, I still love the RD:)

I also LOVE Baby’s FD dress from Italian Grand Prix. I didn’t mind G’e red shirt - the contrasting costumes kind of go along with the deconstructed tango vibe of the FD. That said, I do also love the first FD dress so at this point I wouldn’t mind gabby gracing us with more dresses to admire 😍

And regarding P/C’s most/least popular programs, my personal observation is the 2018/2019 FD is not as loved but that might be my favorite program of theirs. Very closely followed by to build a home, the spoken word, and the Fame RD. Still sad we didn’t get to see the last two at a world championship :/

muffinplus

I did not like the FD costumes In Italy. I don’t get the red shirt at all. I think the modern aesthetic of their previous FD costumes (in Finlandia) is them…

I am also not sure how I feel about the change to the middle section of the RD - does anyone like this better or worse than the one they had before? I really like the first and third sections but not sure this second section is better than before

muffinplus

I share some of your concerns but the outfit issue is probably going to disappear pretty soon: they are obviously trying different styles out. I must say that the FD is slowly growing on me. I think I just miss a strong build-up in the music. It stays a bit too one tone for me. Gabi feels a bit under the weather energy wise but I get annoyed at people harping over and over again on Gui's strengths. He is incredibly good but she is as well and it is together that they shine most. One cannot shine without the other!

I have seen this being said about the music before, but I do see the build up especially as they get into the choreo steps… I think the music is just not that ear friendly, but I love it

Last edited:

Peepsquick

I have seen this the music before, but I do see the build up especially as they get into the choreo steps… I think the music is just not that ear friendly, but I love it
The music itself is great but for me, it lacks what makes an ice dance music great: a greater build up or greater variations. Granted, there is one build up but it is short. I was also expecting a couple of new spins or portés. Still of a fan of the "candle" by itself ... I still hope that they will add on or change some of that.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I just had to watch P/C's RD right after watching NHK's performance and oh my do they look extra extra extra sharp it is shocking in comparison. I love the waacking battle face to face at the end. Guillaume is really giving it all in this RD, he looks so in his element like I have never seen him in any of their previous RD.

Peepsquick

I just had to watch P/C's RD right after watching NHK's performance and oh my do they look extra extra extra sharp it is shocking in comparison. I love the waacking battle face to face at the end. Guillaume is really giving it all in this RD, he looks so in his element like I have never seen him in any of their previous RD.
I do like the new music and new choreo but I watch Gabi more than Gui during the waacking! I like her fierce look at 0:11-12! :biggrinbo

muffinplus

Do you like the 2nd cut of music though? I am not sure about it (vs the one they had before)

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Do you like the 2nd cut of music though? I am not sure about it (vs the one they had before)
I actually do. Being completely honest, when rewatching their 1st version I would fast forward the MB part but now ı enjoy watching it. It is somehow more cohesive, a little bit more upbeat in the mood so it is much less jarring with the other piece. The transition from the first part into the MB is also more progressive and better. Now just the lift for me needs to change.

deegee

i don't fully like either the first or second version of the music, but i LOVE the new choreography in the midnight blues section. i don't think they had any waaking in the first version of this section, so now the dance feels consistent throughout. i don't know what music would work in that middle section, though.

Escarbille

I think it was not totally successful, Gabi had a slightly bent leg ... at least with the poor quality of the shot. But the photo gives an elegant vision of the lift: is it voluntary or not? I don't know. On the other hand, what mastery, because she must have realized it and her face remained imperturbable and calm - which is extraordinary - like At the Finlandia Trophy and at the French Masters.

deegee

I think it was not totally successful, Gabi had a slightly bent leg ... at least with the poor quality of the shot. But the photo gives an elegant vision of the lift: is it voluntary or not? I don't know. On the other hand, what mastery, because she must have realized it and her face remained imperturbable and calm - which is extraordinary - like At the Finlandia Trophy and at the French Masters.
you can see from the fan cam vid that someone posted up thread that this was choreographed so that gabi bends then straightens her leg in time to guillaume's arm movement during the lift.

Peepsquick

It adds to the lift ... still on the fence about it but I'm sure they will weave their magic until the entire dance cast a spell on us. Can't wait!

Enchanted

speaking of which, i was listening to the flutzes & waxles podcast yesterday to listen to their review of the last grand prix event. they really love p&c and had lots of good things to say about their performances, but they spent a long time talking about the issues that gabi with her twizzles in both the rd and fd (though they did say the problem was more egregious in the rd than the fd). they seemed mostly concerned that gabi won't be motivated to fix the problem if they score so well on the seq even when she messes up.

i went back and watched the rd afterward and didn't see a whole lot wrong with her twizzles there. can someone else enlighten me, please?

I listened to the podcast today and they also said they thought she was having the twizzle problems because she was nervous. They had reached the conclusion because her twizzles were better at the FD. Overall, they were very complimentary about P/C’s skating.

Peepsquick

I listened to the podcast today and they also said they thought she was having the twizzle problems because she was nervous. They had reached the conclusion because her twizzles were better at the FD. Overall, they were very complimentary about P/C’s skating.
I still can't really see anything THAT wrong with her twizzles ...:confused:

bcash

you can see from the fan cam vid that someone posted up thread that this was choreographed so that gabi bends then straightens her leg in time to guillaume's arm movement during the lift.
I think she briefly lost her balance and that leg bend just coincided with Guillaume’s choreographed arm movement.

Bigbird

Nothing is off with Gabby's twizzles. What am I to do? Watch them under an electron microscope now?

Peepsquick

It reminds me a bit about Carole Lane noticing a stumble during the Tango RD in Saitama. I Re-watched the moment of the "stumble" over an over again. I have not been able to see it to this day ...
So maybe skaters can see details that escape non-skaters like me or everybody sees what they want to see (or not see) :slinkaway

muffinplus

It reminds me a bit about Carole Lane noticing a stumble during the Tango RD in Saitama. I Re-watched the moment of the "stumble" over an over again. I have not been able to see it to this day ...
So maybe skaters can see details that escape non-skaters like me or everybody sees what they want to see (or not see) :slinkaway

Where did she see a stumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information