Papadakis/Cizeron #10 - Waacking All The Way To Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peepsquick

I think part of being a fan is being able to also offer constructive criticism, so here it goes: I tried to get into the FD programme yesterday but couldn't. The costumes were very distracting. Gabby looked more like she was going to skate a ballroom-themed kind of dance. Nothing about that dress matched the music nor Guillaume's costume. Neither the colour, nor the style. She's all glamourous, he's all plain and in a colour that doesn't go with anything too. What's glamourous about Elegie? On the contrary, it's a flowy, mesmerizing kind of music that IMO needs free hair and a Moonlight Sonata kind of dress. I can understand not going for that so that they aren't accused of repeating themselves, but this is a step too far towards the other direction. Regarding the actual performance, the camera work was very distracting so I think we missed many angles and special moments. Still, I thought he was 100% into it while her not as much. I'm still confident that this will grow on me (and them) by the Olympics, but for the moment, I don't get any special vibes from it, which is not what I wanted to feel like at the start of the Olympic season. Also, I spotted the copying of the head-back kick from To build a home during the highlight the first time I saw this programme and was disappointed. Yes it's a nice moment, but did it have to be a repeat of another programme? I tend to get really attached to such moments and when they are copy-pasted into a different programme and music, I get very annoyed. A/P used to do that and I found it very distracting.

There, I've said it. I still love them to death, I'm just a bit :confused: at some of their choices this year.
I share some of your concerns but the outfit issue is probably going to disappear pretty soon: they are obviously trying different styles out. I must say that the FD is slowly growing on me. I think I just miss a strong build-up in the music. It stays a bit too one tone for me. Gabi feels a bit under the weather energy wise but I get annoyed at people harping over and over again on Gui's strengths. He is incredibly good but she is as well and it is together that they shine most. One cannot shine without the other!

Enchanted

Guillaume was wearing another shirt for the FD at the first practices. Maybe there was a problem with that shirt and they had to go with a different shirt?

Peepsquick

Guillaume was wearing another shirt for the FD at the first practices. Maybe there was a problem with that shirt and they had to go with a different shirt?
Someone was hinting that it was showing too much ... don't ask me what because all this talk about nipples, navel etc ... annoys me to no end: everything is covered and if it is a bit see-through, so what?!
Sorry ... I am grumbling a lot these days! :slinkaway

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I agree about the head back move, I think they should have included a lift at that moment which is the biggest build up in the piece. Otherwise, the camerawork was just atrocious, we have yet to have a full frontal view of the choreo step from start to finish and I love this bit. His little jump was really great and surprising.
Personally I love love love Faure so I loved this program from the get-go, very mature and multilayered even more so than any of their other programs. I agree the costumes at least Guillaume's won't stay, his brown shirt was very revealing on the photos during the practice. I do like her dress though but I am still convinced a gold dress the shade used by Klimt in the kiss would be perfect. The final pose looks so much like that painting

Peepsquick

I agree about the head back move, I think they should have included a lift at that moment which is the biggest build up in the piece. Otherwise, the camerawork was just atrocious, we have yet to have a full frontal view of the choreo step from start to finish and I love this bit. His little jump was really great and surprising.
Personally I love love love Faure so I loved this program from the get-go, very mature and multilayered even more so than any of their other programs. I agree the costumes at least Guillaume's won't stay, his brown shirt was very revealing on the photos during the practice. I do like her dress though but I am still convinced a gold dress the shade used by Klimt in the kiss would be perfect. The final pose looks so much like that painting
I actually enjoyed this video a lot (it is taken from the back and is pretty perfect!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK-fYHgOMaI

Orm Irian

Someone was hinting that it was showing too much ... don't ask me what because all this talk about nipples, navel etc ... annoys me to no end: everything is covered and if it is a bit see-through, so what?!
Sorry ... I am grumbling a lot these days! :slinkaway
It matters because there are rules about what can be shown on the ice and what can't, and IIRC those two things can't. An accident like Gabi suffered four years ago won't attract a costume deduction but a shirt where visibility is an automatic outcome of the design will.

bcash

I think that the overall shape of the FD construction is great. It ebbs and flows with the dynamic of the music (at least how they cut and edited the piece) organically, and feels most like "an emotional journey" out of all the FDs I've seen this season.

The choreographic details and the construction of specific elements have room for adjustment (or even total change, if they find what they feel to be the right solution). I'm sure they are constantly evaluating the program, from all perspectives: artistic integrity, difficulty, how they feel skating it, how it looks from the stands. etc. The costumes..Gabi's new dress is beautiful, but too conventional for the emotional world of the Faure piece. Guillaume's red top is a miss.

Last edited:

Peepsquick

Do you know if there is a NBC version of Gabi and Guillaume's RD? I just found the FD but would be curious to know what Tanith and Charlie say about it? I could not find it on NBC's homepage ...

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
How do I manage to love P&C programs that divide their fans, but never sign on to their universally applauded ones? (2019FD, 2018 anything, 2017, etc) :lol:

They look soooooo good and READY for the season. I know scoring can be a bit of a joke these days, but I find myself really not arguing theirs this year. Their RD is so much better than I expected, and I had high expectations, but I'm shocked at how much I enjoy their FD. Gabby's gold dress is lovely, but I think it's the streamlining of her hair, and how incredibly strong they look-- athletically-- in it that I really am drawn to.

My only complaint is with their pillar lift (def. a D&W rip off, if I'm fair, but much better). I just think they could be served by something much better, but maybe it's just awaiting better execution?

cocotaffy

Haven't read this article yet but looks intriguing, need to use google translate:
Somehow I think we can thank that Russian judge with his backwards offensive comments for those type of articles.

MsZem

I see the sea
How do I manage to love P&C programs that divide their fans, but never sign on to their universally applauded ones? (2019FD, 2018 anything, 2017, etc) :lol:
Those are their universally applauded ones? I know a lot of people found Moonlight Sonata blah. Personally I can barely remember their 2017/2019 programs, but really like their earlier ones.

Tila

Do you know if there is a NBC version of Gabi and Guillaume's RD? I just found the FD but would be curious to know what Tanith and Charlie say about it? I could not find it on NBC's homepage ...
Here it is, enjoy !

Peepsquick

Here it is, enjoy !
Thank you so much @Tila! :cheer2:
I love to "collect" the different commentaries and listen to different perspectives! Do you, by any chance, know what the commentator is saying in the Russian commentary . I couldn't go beyond " Bravo!" :biggrinbo

Peepsquick

Haven't read this article yet but looks intriguing, need to use google translate:
Somehow I think we can thank that Russian judge with his backwards offensive comments for those type of articles.
This article has been written someone who really gets it! Didn't Mickail Lopatin write this amazing article on Gabi and Guillaume's "I will find you"?

cocotaffy

Those are their universally applauded ones? I know a lot of people found Moonlight Sonata blah. Personally I can barely remember their 2017/2019 programs, but really like their earlier ones.
Actually I might be in the minority but one of my favorite is their 2017 FD Oddudua with one regret that they did not push the concept further with the music from that Cuban artist. Their World performance is one of their best imo.

Miloune

Actually I might be in the minority but one of my favorite is their 2017 FD Oddudua with one regret that they did not push the concept further with the music from that Cuban artist. Their World performance is one of their best imo.

I've seen it again recently after a long time, and I have to agree with you. The way this performance is building progressively during the FD is very powerful. Chills. I think this year's FD could have the same impact.

deegee

Thank you so much @Tila! :cheer2:
I love to "collect" the different commentaries and listen to different perspectives! Do you, by any chance, know what the commentator is saying in the Russian commentary . I couldn't go beyond " Bravo!" :biggrinbo
speaking of which, i was listening to the flutzes & waxles podcast yesterday to listen to their review of the last grand prix event. they really love p&c and had lots of good things to say about their performances, but they spent a long time talking about the issues that gabi with her twizzles in both the rd and fd (though they did say the problem was more egregious in the rd than the fd). they seemed mostly concerned that gabi won't be motivated to fix the problem if they score so well on the seq even when she messes up.

i went back and watched the rd afterward and didn't see a whole lot wrong with her twizzles there. can someone else enlighten me, please?

Peepsquick

speaking of which, i was listening to the flutzes & waxles podcast yesterday to listen to their review of the last grand prix event. they really love p&c and had lots of good things to say about their performances, but they spent a long time talking about the issues that gabi with her twizzles in both the rd and fd (though they did say the problem was more egregious in the rd than the fd). they seemed mostly concerned that gabi won't be motivated to fix the problem if they score so well on the seq even when she messes up.

i went back and watched the rd afterward and didn't see a whole lot wrong with her twizzles there. can someone else enlighten me, please?
Yes, please! I have been watching them over and over again but I don't see it! Can anyone enlighten us?

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Yes, please! I have been watching them over and over again but I don't see it! Can anyone enlighten us?
In the RD, during the 2nd set of twizzles, Gabi gets a little up on her toepick during and after the 3rd rotation. Same thing happens in the FD. (At least, this is what I see.)

I’ve never listened to this podcast. Do they just mention it without actually explaining their observation?

Bigbird

In the RD, during the 2nd set of twizzles, Gabi gets a little up on her toepick during and after the 3rd rotation. Same thing happens in the FD. (At least, this is what I see.)

I’ve never listened to this podcast. Do they just mention it without actually explaining their observation?
If they can give S/K the GOEs for K's twizzle variations why is this even an issue? Or are they pointing out the possible ways judges could objectively ding their scores?

Peepsquick

Thank you @thvu for your explanation. No, they didn't bother explaining and so I gathered it had to be obvious ... but for me, it isn't.
I recommend the podcast: they are fair minded and are skaters themselves (or were at some point).

deegee

they didn't explain at all. they said that their concern is that the panel in torino were mighty lenient and if gabi continues in this way without impetus to fix it, they may get hit for the error by a harsher panel.

they also indicated that the problem is not just with her twizzles on the required twizzle sequences, but also in the step sequences.

Bigbird

they didn't explain at all. they said that their concern is that the panel in torino were mighty lenient and if gabi continues in this way without impetus to fix it, they may get hit for the error by a harsher panel.

they also indicated that the problem is not just with her twizzles on the required twizzle sequences, but also in the step sequences.

I need to go watch their programs with a magnifying glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information