2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

screech

We're all assuming that at least one of Nam, Roman and Keegan will be in the top 2 at Canadians. For all we know they may not, and it would make choosing the team very difficult. Though abnormal skates for some, so far this season is not off to a stellar start for any of them, and Canadians could be just as bad, and the top 2 could be Conrad and Stephen, or Joseph, or Corey...
We're all assuming that at minimum Keegan is pretty much secure in his spot, but... ice is slippery! And having a newborn during an Olympics season definitely complicates things (in the best way, but still complicates them).

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Nam just skated his short at Sectionals and was totally clean with quad triple, triple axel and rest of elements. Much better than skate Canada so don’t rule out Nam challenging for the second spot at the Olympics, will come down to nationals. 85.43

skatingguy

decently
Nam just skated his short at Sectionals and was totally clean with quad triple, triple axel and rest of elements. Much better than skate Canada so don’t rule out Nam challenging for the second spot at the Olympics, will come down to nationals. 85.43
Skate America ;)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I always get a laugh out of 'they build to the Olympics' when it's after really bad skates. They aren't trying to go out there and melt down early in the season, either.
Except when skaters do well at the beginning of the Olympic season, on the one hand "They're making a case for themselves :cheer2:" and on the other hand, "They're leaving it all on the table too early :drama:"

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Intl and Sectional scores over 150
BC Sectionals is next week

SENIOR MEN
Keegan Messing 242 Intl
Conrad Orzel 222 Intl
Nam Nguyen 219 Intl
Roman Sadovsky 217 Intl
Wesley Chiu - 217 JGP
Bennet Toman 201
Corey Circelli 191 JGP
Matthew Markell 190
Jack Dushenski 181
Marek Ramilinson 177
Samuel Turcotte 171
Max Denk 170
Matthew Newnham 169
Aleksa Rakic 167 (jr summer comp)
Tristan Taylor 158
Beres Clements 153 (Autumn Classic)
Thomas Pelletier 153
Brian Chiem 150
Stephen Gogolev No score

BC Sectionals- Gabriel Blumenthal, Wesley Chiu,
Will we see Joseph Phan this season?

JUNIOR MEN
(scores over 130)

Grayson Long 185
Alec Guinzbourg 180
John Kim 170
Rio Morita 162
Jake Ellis 152
Maksim Chelmaev 150
Anthony Paradis 149
Evan Prosserman 137

BC Sectionals- Shohei Law

Sylvia

TBD
ISU SB scores list after NHK Trophy (CS Austria scores not yet updated):

21 Keegan MESSING CAN ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2021 08/10/2021 242.58 S
36 Conrad ORZEL CAN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2021 30/10/2021 222.75 S
41 Nam NGUYEN CAN ISU GP Guaranteed Rate Skate America 2021 23/10/2021 219.60 S
43 Roman SADOVSKY CAN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2021 30/10/2021 217.73 S
44 Wesley CHIU CAN ISU JGP Krasnoyarsk 2021 [eta: bronze here] 17/09/2021 217.59 J

In Graz, Austria (CS so ISU SB scores will count for both senior men):
10 Corey CIRCELLI CAN 201.62 (ISU SB) 14 (67.41) 9 (134.21)
16 Beres CLEMENTS CAN 191.84 6 (71.45) 17 (120.39)

Aleksa RAKIC won the Junior Men's silver in Graz with a total score of 180.04 1 (64.24) 3 (115.80). In his FS he landed 3Lo, 3S+3T & 3Lz+3T cleanly, was credited with rotating his 3A (-2.13 GOE) and fell on 4T<<, 3Lz & 3F.

Next week making their senior international debuts at CS Warsaw Cup: Wesley CHIU & Stephen GOGOLEV

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I agree about Nam he’s got his jumps back but needs to get fit, I think the two for the Olympics will be between the usual top three (Keegan, Nam & Roman) but maybe we will get surprises from Corey or even Stephan at Nationals? Interesting to see what next week brings.

Jammers

The best thing to happen for Canadian men at this point would be if Gogolev or Chui put it all together and finished 2nd at Canadian Nationals. Nam is going to retire and Roman has had his chances and isn't getting any better Canada needs to look to the future and i don't see anyone else on the horizon among the 20 or older skaters ready to take over and be competitive with the rest of the world.

Sylvia

TBD
Michael M. & Trennt chatted on their Ice Lab podcast with Nam before NHK Trophy:
On the podcast this week, we’re joined by Nam Nguyen. Nam has had an illustrious career, starting when he was very young. He shares the impact of success at a young age, how he’s changed through the years, and what lessons he’s taken with him as he continues to progress in sport. This episode is full of great takeaways, applicable to so many aspects of life.

As well as with Keegan before Skate America happened:
This week on the podcast we welcomed our dear friend, Keegan Messing. Keegan talks about his journey from representing the USA to Canada, training in Alaska, and of course his family! For those who don't know Keegan, he's a class act, would give anyone the shirt off his back and is full of energy. This is a fun episode and has some great stories!

Rock2

Has anyone actually laid eyes on Gogolev since junior worlds in 2020? He was growing a lot back then. Half expecting he'll be 6ft tall and completely unrecognizable.

Colonel Green

Has anyone actually laid eyes on Gogolev since junior worlds in 2020? He was growing a lot back then. Half expecting he'll be 6ft tall and completely unrecognizable.
I think he was in some other skaters’ social media posts when he was last in Toronto over the summer, but, it’s been a good long while since we’ve seen him skate.

barbarafan

I think he was in some other skaters’ social media posts when he was last in Toronto over the summer, but, it’s been a good long while since we’ve seen him skate.
Apparently he had injuries (due to growth) and maybe others....He was registered for sectionals but withdrew it would seem because he was given an international competition taking place this week - Warsaw...so far no withdrawal. Fingers crossed.

kalamalka

His current ISU bio has him at 179 cm, so almost 6 ft.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Roman has had his chances and isn't getting any better
The only skater who doesn't have any chances is the one who isn't competing.

Canada needs to look to the future and i don't see anyone else on the horizon among the 20 or older skaters ready to take over and be competitive with the rest of the world.

This is true of every country's skaters at some point. Some years are winning years and some are rebuilding years. At one point in the early 2000s the only international medal that a Canadian male skater won one year was won by an adult skater. And somehow Canadian men's skating rebounded from that. It happens.

screech

Wesley Chiu has made his statement. He won the FP at Warsaw Cup, pulling up from 11th to finish 4th overall. His total score was 232.39. From what I can tell that ranks him 2nd among the Canadian mens scores so far this season (behind Keegan's 242.58 from Finalndia and 238.34 from Skate Canada).
Based on the protocols Stephen didn't do any quads in the FP and just did one 3A. I didn't watch but I'm assuming there was some popping. However, he was 8th in the FP and moved up from 14th to finish 11th overall. His total score of 206.17 has him around average with the rest of the Canadian men (aside from KEegan and Wesley) this season so far.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I haven't had a chance to watch the free skates from Warsaw yet but I'm so glad Skate Canada assigned Chiu and Gogolev to this event. Both are eligible TES wise for 4CC/Olympics which is great. It will be interesting to see how the season best scores compare at following the grand prix, JGPF, and Golden Spin. It's great we have so many men to choose from who have the TES minimums for the Olympics spots. Hopefully nationals will be an exciting and well skated event.

barbarafan

Wesley Chiu has made his statement. He won the FP at Warsaw Cup, pulling up from 11th to finish 4th overall. His total score was 232.39. From what I can tell that ranks him 2nd among the Canadian mens scores so far this season (behind Keegan's 242.58 from Finalndia and 238.34 from Skate Canada).
Based on the protocols Stephen didn't do any quads in the FP and just did one 3A. I didn't watch but I'm assuming there was some popping. However, he was 8th in the FP and moved up from 14th to finish 11th overall. His total score of 206.17 has him around average with the rest of the Canadian men (aside from KEegan and Wesley) this season so far.
Stephen looked pretty clean in the free skate. It looked deliberate. My guess was he is not completely rehabbed from injury or just newly rehabbed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information