Gabby Petito

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If I were law enforcement, I would want to triple and quadruple check the ID of these remains. I can't help it, I once read a novel where criminals took a victim's dental records and switched them their own so they could adopt a new identity. Stranger things have happened!

Judy

MsZem

I see the sea
Yeah … if only the two of them had just walked away during the last incident. That rarely happens though. Very tragic for everyone.
The article in the link is less about this case, really - it's about people whose bodies might not have been found were it not for the search for both of them.

Judy

The article in the link is less about this case, really - it's about people whose bodies might not have been found were it not for the search for both of them.
I actually didn't read that article just thinking about the what ifs. Very true that if a search hadn't happened the bodies likely wouldn't have ever been discovered.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm pretty sure the one by the dumpster would have. But the ones in remote areas might not have or at least not as quickly.

Whether a case captures public imagination is such a crap shoot but whether or not authorities look hard for missing people is absolutely influenced by prejudice. There is this idea that POC and Indigenous people live the sort of lives that put them at risk -- victim blaming -- and that makes people less reluctant to give them resources.

Winnipeg

I never thought of the possibility that the dental or finger could have been planted............... his parents sure add a sinister aspect to this case. They should be charged but on what grounds?

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I'm shocked that anyone thinks the remains are not Brian Laundrie. There's nothing to suggest that he was some big mastermind with tons of resources to pull off a legit disappearing act. I think Brian realized he wasn't going to get away with it once the police came to question his family on Sept 11, and chose to take himself out in nature rather than face a trial and jail time.

I doubt the parents can be charged with anything if they didn't outright lie, but I do wonder if Petito's parents will have a civil case against them. I mean, even if they have a case they may not want to put themselves through it, but I did see an interview where the dad said he wanted "vengeance", and the mom quickly interjected "justice".

vgerdes

I'm shocked that anyone thinks the remains are not Brian Laundrie. There's nothing to suggest that he was some big mastermind with tons of resources to pull off a legit disappearing act. I think Brian realized he wasn't going to get away with it once the police came to question his family on Sept 11, and chose to take himself out in nature rather than face a trial and jail time.
I've suspected for a long time that he killed himself, and this is why.

Judy

I never thought of the possibility that the dental or finger could have been planted............... his parents sure add a sinister aspect to this case. They should be charged but on what grounds?
I am pretty sure the entire remains were found along with the full teeth. Logically it makes no sense that the parents could find a matching body. We are assuming too that the parents were involved with a cover up. We don’t know their story or the facts.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I wonder if his parents knew he was going to kill himself when he left the house or if they really thought he was just going for a hike. Surely if they knew he killed poor Gabby they would have rather have a son in jail than a dead son?

If they didn’t know why would they possibly think it was ok that he brought her van back alone? I guess he could have lied that she ran off without him, but then why not answer the poor Petito family’s calls? :confused:

genevieve

Staff member
I've suspected for a long time that he killed himself, and this is why.
yeah, there was actually a moment that I was reading something during the week after he disappeared where I knew he was already dead. I can't remember what the article was, but it was such a clear realization.

ETA: nothing about the parents' actions has made sense. The only thing that I can come up with is that he wanted to go out on his own terms and convinced them this was for the best. I still hope they will reveal what they learned from him while he was home - it is just impossible to believe that he told them nothing AND they continued to stonewall Petito's parents once it was clear something bad had happened to her AND they would not talk to the police.

Judy

yeah, there was actually a moment that I was reading something during the week after he disappeared where I knew he was already dead. I can't remember what the article was, but it was such a clear realization.

ETA: nothing about the parents' actions has made sense. The only thing that I can come up with is that he wanted to go out on his own terms and convinced them this was for the best. I still hope they will reveal what they learned from him while he was home - it is just impossible to believe that he told them nothing AND they continued to stonewall Petito's parents once it was clear something bad had happened to her AND they would not talk to the police.
The lawyer made a statement yesterday that they were acting on his instructions Not to talk. I didn't provide a link and just listened to him briefly.

I just don't get allowing a family go through hell though either. So we'll see if they ever make a statement. They don't have to but ....

genevieve

Staff member
is there an assertion that he killed himself?
It's my assumption that this was either active or passive suicide. I have not seen any official assertion.

The lawyer made a statement yesterday that they were acting on his instructions Not to talk.
I know - but Petito's parents have said the Laundries refused to communicate with them from the very beginning, before this story went public. Either they chose to ignore Petito's family before they lawyered up, or they got a lawyer before Petito's parents started calling, which would mean they knew Brian was in deep shit. Either way, it's shifty.

Judy

It's my assumption that this was either active or passive suicide. I have not seen any official assertion.

I know - but Petito's parents have said the Laundries refused to communicate with them from the very beginning, before this story went public. Either they chose to ignore Petito's family before they lawyered up, or they got a lawyer before Petito's parents started calling, which would mean they knew Brian was in deep shit. Either way, it's shifty.
Yah I think they got a lawyer pretty fast.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I typed how long into Google and one of the suggestions was "does it take a body to decompose" I blame Laundrie for that.

genevieve

Staff member
But wouldn't the lawyer be obligated to report the crime? Or no?
If he was retained to represent the whole family, including Brian, I believe that would fall under attorney-client privilege.

genevieve

Staff member
That all sounds plausible, except for the Laundries not understanding the internet because they're "old". Just how old are they? Most people under 85-90 were in the workforce when the internet became the norm. My 83 year old mom mot of her friends have social media accounts of some type.

But if the Laundries knew (assumed) their son was dead the whole time, their continued silence makes even less sense.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That all sounds plausible, except for the Laundries not understanding the internet because they're "old".
There is no way that the FBI told Mrs. Laundrie not to finish her sentence when she was telling them what she knew about what happened. So I call BS on the whole thing.

Judy

That all sounds plausible, except for the Laundries not understanding the internet because they're "old". Just how old are they? Most people under 85-90 were in the workforce when the internet became the norm. My 83 year old mom mot of her friends have social media accounts of some type.

But if the Laundries knew (assumed) their son was dead the whole time, their continued silence makes even less sense.
I thought that comment was directed more about the moderators of the site actually. According to that though the family lawyer was kind of silenced by FBI about saying stuff.

But I am personally really different from my younger friend with my phone though. I always just leave it in one place at home and only take it out with me if I anticipate needing it. We are all not the same. But that wasn't an important part of it for me personally.

genevieve

Staff member
There is no way that the FBI told Mrs. Laundrie not to finish her sentence when she was telling them what she knew about what happened. So I call BS on the whole thing.
I mean, the fact that "friends" of the Laundries are spilling the (alleged) beans about the case on the internet before the Laundries make an official statement is reason enough to call BS. But I do find the part about what the family knew and when plausible.

Judy

I mean, the fact that "friends" of the Laundries are spilling the (alleged) beans about the case on the internet before the Laundries make an official statement is reason enough to call BS. But I do find the part about what the family knew and when plausible.
Yeah I think that was the one part that really bothered me the most. It just didn't make sense that they knew vs they didn't know. It's always possible that someone close choose to start it as I have seen it done before. It is the internet though.

Winnipeg

Maybe she said she was going to leave him (finally) and he got mad and then lost his temper beyond control........maybe he told his parents she left him but then, as another poster pointed out, why not talk to Gabi's family if only to check and make sure she was okay

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information