From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Congratulations, the entire Team Russia, not just the amazing skaters but coaching teams, choreographers, Aeroflot pilots, Channel One staff, influencers, fans, etc etc. Woohoo! 🎉 🥳 🥂

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!
ON TO BEIJING 2022!

Sylvia

TBD

Several bright dance duets are skating in the group of coaches Maria Borovikova and Denis Samokhin : Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva and Egor Bazin have a chance to qualify for the Beijing Olympics, the Georgian couple, silver medalists of the junior world championship Maria Kazakova and Georgy Reviya are also preparing to fight for the Olympic ticket.

It was with Borovikova and Samokhin that the once promising single Alena Kanysheva and Diana Davis, the daughter of Eteri Tutberidze, began their dance careers. Alexandra Trusova studied sliding in this group, and Maria and Denis are also raising skaters from their children. Match TV talked to Maria Borovikova about the fate of her students and her beloved family work during her arrival in St. Petersburg, where she was born and lived for a long time, for the next competition.

Read in the interview:

• What prevented Khudaiberdiyeva and Bazin from reaching the top of the national team
  • How was the first season of the former student Eteri Tutberidze in dancing
  • Which coach Diana Davis remembered at the beginning of her dance career
  • On the choreographic skills of Alexandra Trusova
  • Why retired skaters are in no hurry to work as coaches
  • Why dance couples break up
  • About why sometimes even dance experts do not understand judges' marks in ice dancing
Excerpt:
How are things with Andrey Filatov (former partner of Elizaveta Khudaiberdiyeva - Match TV)?
He stayed with us in the group, for four months now he has been rolling with a new partner. Now we are negotiating with the federations and deciding which country they will play for. I hope you will see Andrey's debut with Eliza in the fall.

The Georgian duo Maria Kazakova and Georgy Revia finished their junior period so enchantingly, and missed this season due to injury. Are you preparing to fight for the quota for the Olympics?
Yes, Gosha was injured in the summer. I did not finish her treatment and returned to training, then again I had to be treated. Because of this, the guys never performed in the season. Now they have restored both health and mood, there is a fuse to qualify for the Olympics. In October we will go to a tournament in Oberstdorf, where we will fight with several strong pairs from different countries. It is difficult for representatives of small federations to break through to the top level, but we set a goal for ourselves.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

Google translation:

18-year-old Russian figure skater Yekaterina Mitrofanova will continue her career in the national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Mitrofanova began her career as a single skater, skated in the group of Eteri Tutberidze at Khrustalny in the 2014/15 season, and won the silver at the Junior Grand Prix the next season. For the Bosnian national team, she will act as a dancer with partner Vladislav Kasinsky. At the same time, the couple will continue to train in the team of Nina Moser, at the Vorobyovy Gory school. The figure skater herself told about this "SE".

- Soon I will start playing for the national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina with partner Vladislav Kasinsky. We are leaving mainly because of the competition in order to make our way to international competitions. It's almost unrealistic to perform for Russia in dances when you come at the age of 16-17. Well, there is a desire to develop figure skating all over the world, so that not only Russians take everything. This is an attempt to instill a love for sports in another country. I understand that Bosnia is a country unknown to anyone in the world of figure skating, there are no famous athletes there. There is a huge difference - to play for Russia or Bosnia, even if you skated the same way, the Russians will be 20-30 places higher. I have not achieved anything yet in dancing, but I want to be remembered by the judges and coaches, not only one by one.

- We often start in this case - traitors, Russophobes. What do you say to this?

- No betrayal of the homeland. I love Russia, we train in Moscow under the guidance of a Russian coach, Oleg Gennadievich Volkov. I always root for ours. Just objectively, the queue for dances is scheduled for many years ahead. We want to travel to tournaments, see the world. Qualify for the European Championship, the World Championship, maybe even the Olympics.

(Dmitry Kuznetsov)

Ekaterina Mitrofanova's ISU bio as a singles skater (last updated in the 2015-16 season when she was coached by Sergei Davydov): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054620.htm

love_skate2011

Banned Member
surprise she bringing up traitor ? many russians compete for other countries and it has benefits too, for the origin country and to judges ;). just look at RG, Figure Skating and Wrestling. Russians are competing from Uzbekistan all the way to France

Bigbird

surprise she bringing up traitor ? many russians compete for other countries and it has benefits too, for the origin country and to judges ;). just look at RG, Figure Skating and Wrestling. Russians are competing from Uzbekistan all the way to France
Slow news day? Space waster? Just absolute nonsense?

Scott512

Google translation:

18-year-old Russian figure skater Yekaterina Mitrofanova will continue her career in the national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Mitrofanova began her career as a single skater, skated in the group of Eteri Tutberidze at Khrustalny in the 2014/15 season, and won the silver at the Junior Grand Prix the next season. For the Bosnian national team, she will act as a dancer with partner Vladislav Kasinsky. At the same time, the couple will continue to train in the team of Nina Moser, at the Vorobyovy Gory school. The figure skater herself told about this "SE".

- Soon I will start playing for the national team of Bosnia and Herzegovina with partner Vladislav Kasinsky. We are leaving mainly because of the competition in order to make our way to international competitions. It's almost unrealistic to perform for Russia in dances when you come at the age of 16-17. Well, there is a desire to develop figure skating all over the world, so that not only Russians take everything. This is an attempt to instill a love for sports in another country. I understand that Bosnia is a country unknown to anyone in the world of figure skating, there are no famous athletes there. There is a huge difference - to play for Russia or Bosnia, even if you skated the same way, the Russians will be 20-30 places higher. I have not achieved anything yet in dancing, but I want to be remembered by the judges and coaches, not only one by one.

- We often start in this case - traitors, Russophobes. What do you say to this?

- No betrayal of the homeland. I love Russia, we train in Moscow under the guidance of a Russian coach, Oleg Gennadievich Volkov. I always root for ours. Just objectively, the queue for dances is scheduled for many years ahead. We want to travel to tournaments, see the world. Qualify for the European Championship, the World Championship, maybe even the Olympics.

(Dmitry Kuznetsov)

Ekaterina Mitrofanova's ISU bio as a singles skater (last updated in the 2015-16 season when she was coached by Sergei Davydov): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054620.htm
Reading this she sounds reasonable. Still roots for Russia but wants to compete internationally and she will for Bosnia.

I want Nastya to change federations to continue figure skating.. She hasn't competed for Russia internationally since 2018 so her transition should go smoothly. I was thinking of Estonia or Lithuania for Nastya.

I would to discuss this with Tinami who knows a lot about Russian figure skating But she disappeared a couple months ago. Does anyone know what happened to her?

Ka3sha

Cherub721

YEAH!
I'm in the extreme minority because I'm a Kolyada fan but not crazy about the Nurejev program. I miss "Halloween." :lynch:

I'm sure the fans will say keep it, and it gives him time to work on adding harder jumps and coming up with a killer SP.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I'm in the extreme minority because I'm a Kolyada fan but not crazy about the Nurejev program. I miss "Halloween." :lynch:

I'm sure the fans will say keep it, and it gives him time to work on adding harder jumps and coming up with a killer SP.
How about adjusting the Nureyev to be an exquisite SP? More chances to see it skated cleanly! (Ha ha!) Then...craft a new LP to depict Nureyev on stage...such as Solor in Bayadere or the pirate in Corsaire? Sort of like Godfather pts 1 & 2 (Candeloro) or others have done to continue a theme in both programs.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

His "Nightmare before Christmas"-program is also wonderful. It made me even re-watch the movie and totally falling in love with it. Now my closet is full of "Nightmare before Christmas" merch. He did a marvelous job with that program, but I still find "Nureyev" better, because it is so deep and has far more finesse.

Sylvia

TBD
Vasily Konov's interview with Sergei Davydov (April 20):
Article/transcript "Sergei Davydov - about Tutberidze and Plushenko, the departure of figure skaters and Beijing 2022":
Machine translated excerpts:
Q: It turns out that now Sofia Samodelkina is becoming the main star in the group?
- I wouldn't say that either. I don't think Sofa is a star or anything else. The leader of the group - maybe, but they must clearly understand: they go out on the ice - you are the star, the leader - you have a job, you must go out and do it. It's the most important. Group leader? Well, yes, probably. [...]
Q: What quads are in the arsenal of Sofia now in combat readiness?
- We jumped in a sheepskin coat [4T] recently. She is now doing well axel, sheepskin coat and salchow. We have now tackled the rittberger [loop] tightly: we come, quickly do everything three or four times so that it is stamped straight, and leave for the next quadruple, that is, so that we have time to catch another element and fully work on it. Now we have tackled the rittberger, and I think we will master it too.
Q: How many children completed the task for the season? Who are you happy with, and who is underworked and who needs to take up their minds so seriously?
- Well, Max Belyavsky did not work, and he himself knows about it, it's not a secret. He didn’t even fail - he doesn’t use his resource, and globally he has just colossal.
If you take Lev Lazarev, then one start he just drove off great: from the first time he made an axel on the elements, which I, in general, did not expect.
In general, I can say one thing: everyone has made a move. During this season, which is significant for me, everyone stepped over this line. Anya Frolova tackled the quad tightly, last year we worked just as tightly for some time, then she somehow stepped aside, and now I see that she really wants to. Ksyusha Tsibinova began to teach Axel. That is, it does not even specifically concern each athlete, but this applies to the entire system. We took the whole system from triples and dragged them to quadruples, and we accepted and understood all this. In today's figure skating, there is only one way: if you want to win, learn quadruples.

_Lola_

Hehe, he has a huge legacy of "helloween" that you can enjoy! Please, let him have some intelligent choreography and non-overused music for his programs for the Olympics.

Ka3sha

MatchTV interview with Angelina Turenko

She got married, moved to Italy and started working with Lorenzo Maggri. Says she visits St. Petersburg once in few months, still works with her Russian group online, but will most likely stay in Italy (her husband is a chef in his family restaurant in Italy, so he can't move to St. Petersburg).
Serafima Sakhanovich has had an injury and hasn't completely recovered yet. She now works with children in Moscow, but will make a final decision on whatever she retires or not by the end of the summer

mjb52

Very enjoyable interview. Nice moment (google translated):

"- Returning to competition issues, were you upset that the French Papadakis / Sizeron would miss the World Cup?

- To be honest, I missed them."

starrynight

Saw a translated quote where Eteri Tutberidze apparently is musing about an interest in coaching pairs.

Apparently her motivation is that a lot of pairs skaters aren't so good on jumps and she doesn't like the programs much.

An interesting thought. Potentially it's crossed her mind that she would discard so many girls out of her groups that have rock solid triples (but no quad capacity) and might be thinking of redistributing them into pairs.

But it does really make me wonder about the potential for Tutberidze to try to do something where you have some of her tiny young girls paired with an older partner and capable of doing some big elements.

The obvious challenge though, is the question of the male partner and managing the unique dynamics of a pairs team. Which is a very dynamic to her successful approach of group training large numbers of girls with an iron fist.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
You have somehow missed that this is coming about because there are rumors that T/M are going to switch to Sambo 70 (but would still be coached by Max).

starrynight

Tutberidze is correct that a lot of pairs teams are undone by their side by side jumps.

A lot of that might be due to not as strong jumpers choosing pairs .. and also the requirement for a lot of work on things like twists, throw jumps, lifts, spins, partnering. Whereas singles training (especially at Sambo 70) is just jump, jump, jump jump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information