2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

MsZem

I see the sea
Vanessa had a decent twist with Yannick Bonheur, though I think they only ever did doubles. She may be able to adapt to another new partner relatively easily having done it before.
They did sloppy triple twists in the 2009-10 season. Vanessa was new to pairs when she started skating with Bonheur, though.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
They did sloppy triple twists in the 2009-10 season. Vanessa was new to pairs when she started skating with Bonheur, though.
She’d skated with Hamish Gaman first (training in the US) but split with him right before British Nationals when she had the offer to skate for France. If I knew what twist they were training I can’t remember now but they didn’t skate together that long so quite possibly just double.

beckab81

Curious to see where they end up training - while it’s not what I would like refer/recommend, they both have a relationship with Zimmerman (even though he is suspended). Maybe a team of Dylan Moscovich/Bryce Davidson/Lee Barkell? Dylan coached Vanessa during BotB and is good friends with Eric, and Davidson/Barkell would provide some good experience/structure.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
French pairs' of that time twists were freakin scary. Including James/Bonheur's one. Think they ended up working with Stas Morozov on their twists and while they did not become something amazing at least James (and Marylin Pla) were not twisting heads down anymore.

skatfan

Depends on what you read into her comments about being betrayed personally and professionally. If Eric is the professional betrayer then does that make Bruno a personal betrayer or is Meagan referencing she was betrayed by Eric on both a personal and professional level. It may mean nothing but the last time Bruno appeared in one of Meagan’s instagrams was December.
Actually she showed herself and her daughter watching Bruno in the kiss n cry at Worlds with the Japanese team just last month - at least it was on Facebook.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Personally, it wouldn’t be the career choker who had previously spent years ignoring her partner’s sexual abuse of children until it became too personally radioactive for her to ignore. But that’s just me.
Not sure what a “career choker” is, but unless you are inside someone’s brain how do you know what their reaction to something was. Not everything gets posted on the internet you know.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Personally, it wouldn’t be the career choker who had previously spent years ignoring her partner’s sexual abuse of children until it became too personally radioactive for her to ignore. But that’s just me.

Exactly! Personally, I cannot cheer Vanessa’s return as a big triumphal HOO HAH, no matter how talented or charismatic she may be...as much as I wish to see any skater of color be elevated. Purposeful Ignorance of abuse is colorless. No cheering from me.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Exactly! Personally, I cannot cheer Vanessa’s return as a big triumphal HOO HAH, no matter how talented or charismatic she may be...as much as I wish to see any skater of color be elevated. Purposeful Ignorance of abuse is colorless. No cheering from me.
Am sure Vanessa will cope.

Says a lot that some here are choosing to go after the person in the pairs partnership who didn’t send a dick pic or try to silence the recipient of the dick pic. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Vanessa is not under investigation by SafeSport.

That’s before we even start on Vanessa getting the blame for Eric deciding not to skate any longer with Meagan.

There’s a word for all of this folks.

antmanb

While I like both current teams, it has become perfectly obvious that W/M - who are good friends with MT/M - have accepted that they are second fiddle to MT/M and that was going to be the status quo going forward. Neither was pushing the other because who wants to upset the apple cart? Now the apple cart has been overturned and a new dynamic is in place.
I'm sorry but that's just not how elite sports work. Who would spend the time, money, effort, blood, sweat and tears to just sit back because they're friends with their competitors? No-one.

yeslek

Actually she showed herself and her daughter watching Bruno in the kiss n cry at Worlds with the Japanese team just last month - at least it was on Facebook.
She also said she was staying with her parents for like a month during worlds / after so when Bruno came home from worlds to quarantine they didn’t have to also.

puglover

This clearly points out the danger of providing bits of somewhat explosive information for public consumption by interested people who have limited ability to put it in context. Assumptions are made - some may be correct - many are not. Hello - my youngest daughter - and Meghan Markle.

mackiecat

So Meagan retired. She has publicly said she doesnt ever want to compete again. She publicly said she realized she hated competing. Eric decided he wants to try competing again. Why would he think to try to change Meagans mind when she has said she won’t compete again? He found a partner that also wants to compete.
Megan lives in Oakville and he in Montreal. Even to train for shows, how would that work out? It’s not like this is a commutable distance.

Last edited:

soogar

Eric always struggled with the triple twist. It will even be harder with a taller partner. I know it’s not just the men’s pure strength but it’s a big part of it. Very curious about the coaching team that will have to work wonders to get the technique in synch. Vanessa and Eric should have beautiful lines and matching styles. They can be a stunningly beautiful pair.
From an interview Meagan had done, it seemed that she had problems with the triple twist- her words- that it was not an easy element for her in terms of timing. He might have a better chance with Vanessa.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
From an interview Meagan had done, it seemed that she had problems with the triple twist- her words- that it was not an easy element for her in terms of timing. He might have a better chance with Vanessa.
She also mentioned that the height difference between them contributed to the problem. That will be less of a problem with Vanessa.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Has anyone noticed a trend with the name "Meghan"? From Markle to Duhamel to McCain, it's almost like the "Karen". Very strong polarizing opinions and you either rave or hate that person.

Skating people live in a very small world and it doesn't surprise me that Duhamel would feel upset. But at the same time, they are both adults. Twitter is pointing the finger at Eric simply based on a rumour (so far) and that's not right.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
Am sure Vanessa will cope.

Says a lot that some here are choosing to go after the person in the pairs partnership who didn’t send a dick pic or try to silence the recipient of the dick pic. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Vanessa is not under investigation by SafeSport.

That’s before we even start on Vanessa getting the blame for Eric deciding not to skate any longer with Meagan.

There’s a word for all of this folks.
And Vanessa could have very likely been advised not to comment on anything to do the with case whilst legal proceedings are ongoing.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Has anyone noticed a trend with the name "Meghan"? From Markle to Duhamel to McCain, it's almost like the "Karen". Very strong polarizing opinions and you either rave or hate that person.

Skating people live in a very small world and it doesn't surprise me that Duhamel would feel upset. But at the same time, they are both adults. Twitter is pointing the finger at Eric simply based on a rumour (so far) and that's not right.
Except it’s Meagan. And I don’t understand why anyone is shocked about Twitter. It’s a bunch of losers that have strong opinions on everything without knowing any details of any story. Or they simply make up stories and share amongst themselves for attention.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Except it’s Meagan. And I don’t understand why anyone is shocked about Twitter. It’s a bunch of losers that have strong opinions on everything without knowing any details of any story. Or they simply make up stories and share amongst themselves for attention.
That's true.

screech

I'm not so confident that J/R would beat W/M at Canadians. As has been mentioned in this thread, Eric was struggling the last few years. IMO the only thing that really kept D/R in the mix was their technical elements - the triple lutz and the throw quad. I don't know that Eric would be able to perform those elements so easily. And while Vanessa has a past as a singles skater, is she able to do the harder SBS jumps?
I also never really found either D/R or J/C to 'connect' with each other in their performances. (I've previously said that to me Meagan skated like a singles skater who just happened to be sharing choreography with someone else). So I don't know how well they'd be able to form a really cohesive pair in such a short time.

Colonel Green

I'm not so confident that J/R would beat W/M at Canadians. As has been mentioned in this thread, Eric was struggling the last few years. IMO the only thing that really kept D/R in the mix was their technical elements - the triple lutz and the throw quad. I don't know that Eric would be able to perform those elements so easily. And while Vanessa has a past as a singles skater, is she able to do the harder SBS jumps?
D/R’s harder tech elements was what made them World/Olympic contenders, but they weren’t what kept them on top at Canadians. I wouldn’t expect to see J/R trying the SBS Lutz, but they wouldn’t need that; they both are (or were) better jumpers than W/M (especially Evelyn).

The lifts are the biggest question. If Eric is in form (as he must feel he is), they’d easily pass W/M on those.

I also never really found either D/R or J/C to 'connect' with each other in their performances. (I've previously said that to me Meagan skated like a singles skater who just happened to be sharing choreography with someone else). So I don't know how well they'd be able to form a really cohesive pair in such a short time.
A lot of people thought that about D/R, but not about

SpiffySpiders

If a pair isn't strong enough to beat a new project from two mid-thirties former retiree skaters than they don't deserve an Olympic trip. Representing Canada in figure skating at the Olympics should be earned, not given as a participation prize or as a reward for not losing a pairs spot. The second spot does not belong to Evelyn and Trennt, it isn't in jeopardy of being "taken" from them because it was never theirs. For all we know, neither of the pairs who went to Worlds this year might be representing us at the Olympics. The unexpected happens. Injuries, pairs splitting up, different pairs forming, existing pairs arriving with a new skill that elevates them ... you never know what can happen.

People saying Evelyn and Trennt are the future of Canadian pairs skating have me a bit scared, tbh. They're fine, but they're not looking like future world medalists at this point. I'd like to see a lot more internal competition across all four disciplines, because that encourages athletic growth and success, so I hope the Vanessa and Eric rumours are as true as they seem to be.

VGThuy

And Vanessa could have very likely been advised not to comment on anything to do the with case whilst legal proceedings are ongoing.
But didn't people see Vanessa posting on IG in full support of Morgan when all of this came out and consistently posted in support of him even when more details became public? That kind of shows you where her head was at.

That said, she's not the one who committed the crimes. However, if people want to feel icky about her for enabling and supporting him after information became public, then I don't blame them either.

skylark

Here's a wild and crazy thought: maybe they don't want to contend for a world or Olympic medal, and that's not what they're planning for. Maybe they both just really enjoy doing pairs and want to continue performing or competing because that's what they like to do.
^^^ This.

I feel for Meagan, but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Eric's more lyrical, musical skating will synchronize with Vanessa's. Their lines could match as well. Since they've skated in BotB at the same time, it's entirely possible that they've done elements together in practice, for teaching and demonstration even if for no other reason. Or for fun. They may have already realized that they're a good technical fit on some things.

It's also possible that this 3-year rest from the wear and tear of training and competing has given Eric's body a chance to recover.

I love to see skaters doing what they love, for the love of it, and if this works even for a year or two, I think it could be healing for Vanessa, whose career was cut short in what must have been a most distressing way for her.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
But didn't people see Vanessa posting on IG in full support of Morgan when all of this came out and consistently posted in support of him even when more details became public? That kind of shows you where her head was at.

That said, she's not the one who committed the crimes. However, if people want to feel icky about her for enabling and supporting him after information became public, then I don't blame them either.
She was out in an incredibly difficult position, but I guess the nuance of that is lost on Skating Twitter where everything is so black and white.

morqet

rising like a phoenix

Nothing that I can see on her instagram, so unless it was in stories that I missed at the time, I don't recall her saying a word. There are still clips of her programs/podium pictures with him, but why should she have to scrub all of her professional achievements away because of someone else's actions?

litenkyckling

She was out in an incredibly difficult position, but I guess the nuance of that is lost on Skating Twitter where everything is so black and white.
I wouldn't say 'nuance' is that important when it comes to enabling and supporting sexual abusers, but maybe that's just me. No doubt it was a difficult position for her, but her actions (or inaction in this case) have hurt a lot of people.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Correct me if I’m wrong, but Vanessa is not under investigation by SafeSport.
The lack of a SafeSport investigation says nothing since SafeSport only has jurisdiction over U.S. Figure Skating members, and James is not a member of U.S. Figure Skating. (Cipres is also not under investigation by SafeSport even though there is an arrest warrant out for him in Florida.)

I'm not saying that James is guilty of anything more than defending the indefensible - which she unapologetically did - but if you're wondering why people are ragging on her in this thread, it's because she's the one who's allegedly returning to figure skating. When / if Zimmerman, Fontana or Vinny Dispenza show their face again, I'm sure there will be much ado about it.

TRAxel

I'm a little late to the party with the talk of Eric/Vanessa perhaps pairing up and Meagan feeling betrayed... if this is the case, it reminds me of when Victor Kraatz decided he didn't want to skate anymore after Shae-Lynn and him had plans for a professional career together, she felt the same as what Meagan is feeling now (if that's what this is all about) Victor had every right to change his mind, and Shae-Lynn had every right to feel betrayed and let down. Just my 2 cents :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information