Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

becca

I think Harry has been close enough to the jackpot to really feel like he was missing out though. The other cousins are all in the same boat together, but Harry has to deal with the fact that his elder brother will be king. That's pretty high stakes - it's your face on the coins of 35 countries. The impact of that would have become gradually more real as they got older.

I do wonder if all the talk about the money for security was aimed at explaining the very high profile media roles they are stepping into. i.e. we have been forced to do this because we need the money for security.
Perhaps but if they sought less attention if they went and lived somewhere quiet they would need less security. If their going to chose to live celebrity lifestyles well.

Edward does just fine without security

Part of the no title for Archie no security is because they want a more stream lined monarchy because tax payers have to pay for things like security so the royal family wants less Princes. To say this is about race when they were already moving in that direction.

And to say it’s a jackpot for William their are benefits but it’s also stifling as they just said didn’t they say William is trapped.

One could point out it wasn’t fair Anne’s children were treated differently rather sexist. But Anne herself when the queen offered refused it felt her kids needed more Normal lives. Sophie and Edward want their kids to recognize they will work. The royal family wants less princes and minor royals.

becca

The fact that Megan and Harry choose to live in North America meant their security bill sky rocketed.
If you want someone to else to pay for anything don’t you have to compromise to?

Maybe Charlie’s position is you chose to live in royal family as working member I pay for your security. You chose to live UK I pay to (reasonable levels)

You chose to live outside in UK where your security costs skyrocketed your on your own.

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Did Peter Phillips have a 45 million dollar wedding? Did Zara?
Peter and Autumn Phillips sold an exclusive story to Hello magazine around the time they got married.

Still on the subject of Archie's title, he's not entitled to be prince because he's not covered by the 1917 letters patent or the more recent update. Which was issued when Kate was pregnant with George and Harry was still dating Cressida Bonas, so I really don't see how it has anything to do with Meghan or her children.

(I'm curious to know what Cressida and Chelsy Davy make of all this)

I have no doubt Meghan had a very tough time; she was used to some media attention, but marrying into the BRF is different on orders of magnitude, plus moving to a different country, plus the tabloid crap, and pregnancy and birth... it's a lot to deal with.

becca

Peter and Autumn Phillips sold an exclusive story to Hello magazine around the time they got married.

Still on the subject of Archie's title, he's not entitled to be prince because he's not covered by the 1917 letters patent or the more recent update. Which was issued when Kate was pregnant with George and Harry was still dating Cressida Bonas, so I really don't see how it has anything to do with Meghan or her children.

(I'm curious to know what Cressida and Chelsy Davy make of all this)

I have no doubt Meghan had a very tough time; she was used to some media attention, but marrying into the BRF is different on orders of magnitude, plus moving to a different country, plus the tabloid crap, and pregnancy and birth... it's a lot to deal with.
Yes Autumn and Peter did and got critics but it wasn’t a 45 million dollar wedding. Nothing was paid for by tax payers. I have no doubt royal life comes with real problems

skategal

Bunny mama
Re the titles - it seems they wanted special exception made for Archie to be a prince - even though that wasn’t protocol.
Meghan said she was told that Archie would not be a Prince when Charles became King, which is protocol as the grandson of the Monarch, and that they were going to change some Law to do this.

H&M wanted the protocol to be kept.

No one wants their child to be the first not to be entitled to things that everyone else in the same position as they are received for 1000s of years.

Charles has been banging on about doing this type of thing for years, but I'm betting no one ever explained that to Meghan and Harry was probably in denial that Charles would go against tradition to do this to his own grandchild when it's not like he has a ton of them.

So it seems very personal and hurtful to H&M (in particular H, I think.)

becca

Meghan said she was told that Archie would not be a Prince when Charles became King, which is protocol as the grandson of the Monarch, and that they were going to change some Law to do this.

H&M wanted the protocol to be kept.

No one wants their child to be the first not to be entitled to things that everyone else in the same position as they are received for 1000s of years.

Charles has been banging on about doing this type of thing for years, but I'm betting no one ever explained that to Meghan and Harry was probably in denial that Charles would go against tradition to do this to his own grandchild when it's not like he has a ton of them.

Except for the fact that titles come with potential tax burden for the British people and makes the little boy a target.

The Swedish king stripped HRH from his grandchildren to. His children did not give interviews screaming about it.
Rather they gave interviews of support.

As for being the first no Archie wouldn’t be. Edwards children are entitled to go by Prince and Princess and their parents voluntarily chose to have them forgo it. So Archie wouldn’t be the first.

Add in the greater levels of financial support when they were working members of the royal family they were given a lot of financial support.

Was it equal to Kate and Williams now but William is the future king and so the primary spotlight and attention always should go there

MsZem

I see the sea

I bet Charles looked at what happened in Sweden and was like, yes, this.

Looking at other countries, it's not necessarily unusual for the grandchildren of a sovereign not to be princes and princesses; for example, of the former Queen Beatrix's grandchildren, only Willem-Alexander's daughters are princesses. Even in the UK it's that way for female-line grandchildren. But I can understand how it would be hurtful for Harry, and to a lesser extent to Meghan.

My guess is that they were trying to be truthful throughout, but there's context that may be missing for some of what came up (again, going only on media coverage).

skategal

Bunny mama
Except for the fact that titles come with potential tax burden for the British people and makes the little boy a target two.
He's already a target.

I am just saying Harry would want Archie to have the title he is entitled to under law when Prince Charles becomes King and not have the rules changed.

Why is that hard to understand?

I am not saying it's right or wrong to do so and the system is set up to do whatever the Monarch wants but I can see why Harry would want that for Archie.

becca

He's already a target.

I am just saying Harry would want Archie to have the title he is entitled to under law when Prince Charles becomes King and not have the rules changed.

Why is that hard to understand?

I am not saying it's right or wrong to do so and the system is set up to do whatever the Monarch wants but I can see why Harry would want that for Archie.
Yes but Harry also doesn’t want Archie to grow up in UK now or have any of the duties that go along with the role. Should a British prince grow up in the States? Once again all of the privileges none of the duties?

And moving forward if he is just Archie and as George, Charolette and Louis get older Archie would be less and less of a target just as Harry’s cousins had less interest.

it’s not in the British peoples interest to have a large royal family needing lots of money and taxes. It’s not all about Harry and Meghan.

Last edited:

Parsley Sage

Harry has admitted to having counselling to deal with Diana's death and I believe William has as well. Kate was involved in the family therapy when her brother was dealing with severe depression.

If they took her passport, how was she able to travel to NYC for her baby shower and to watch Serena Williams play in the US Open.

skategal

Bunny mama
Yes but Harry also doesn’t want Archie to grow up in UK now or have any of the duties that go alone in the role. Should a British prince grow up in the States? Once again all of the privileges none of the duties?
Well they probably don't want any of it now. :lol:

That was before they felt they had to leave....when Meghan was first pregnant.

It's probably always going to be a bone of contention between Harry & Charles.

There have been reports that other Royals are not impressed with Charles either regarding such things.

skategal

Bunny mama
Harry has admitted to having counselling to deal with Diana's death and I believe William has as well. Kate was involved in the family therapy when her brother was dealing with severe depression.

If they took her passport, how was she able to travel to NYC for her baby shower and to watch Serena Williams play in the US Open.
I assume they give it back for things your allowed to do.

She was also allowed to go to South Africa and Australia for Royal Tours.

MsZem

I see the sea
You know, they may as well reveal who it was and what was exactly said instead of doing this as a blind item. Unless there's some concern about a lawsuit?

Oprah Winfrey has been speaking to CBS about the interview and said that Harry wanted her to know that it had not been the Queen or Prince Philip who had made comments about Archie’s skin colour.

(source)

starrynight

I just think this whole thing is quite sad.

It's not pleasant watching family relations break down so spectacularly. And particularly when I think a lot of people thought/hoped William and Harry would be best friends and close confidants their whole lives. And yet it turns out that they are in fact bitterly divided.

I don't like negativity and division and it seems we are back to more of that (and celebrities leveraging this division for clicks). There was about a second there where the political scene settled down and now it seems something else has taken its place.

Basically no good comes from people getting money for nothing - least of all from waiting around for each other to die to get status.

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Haven't seen the interview yet. Based on the circus happening on twitter not sure I want to. I have seen enough family drama elsewhere so not sure now I want more :lol:

But I just saw this on twitter:
And seriously what is the point of this. Why say that out loud to millions, don't say who it was because of how damaging it could be, and they tell Oprah to tell someone it wasn't his grandparents. Because people are just continuing down the list and who it could be...what a bloody circus.

becca

Well they probably don't want any of it now. :lol:

That was before they felt they had to leave....when Meghan was first pregnant.

It's probably always going to be a bone of contention between Harry & Charles.

There have been reports that other Royals are not impressed with Charles either regarding such things.
I have no doubt Charles has issues but honestly I kind of get the sense that Harry and Meghan think they should be treated equal to the Cambridge’s and it’s just not the case.

I mean the role of king/queen comes with a lot of responsibility and lack of privacy.

I remember the King of Spain stating very plainly and publicly his eldest is the heir and the youngest daughters role will be to support her sister.

Perhaps the whole we want to treat equally. Equally in love for sure but I actually think Anne and Edward had it right with stressing their kids are not royals and will have to make their own way.

MsZem

I see the sea
Yes but Harry also doesn’t want Archie to grow up in UK now or have any of the duties that go along with the role. Should a British prince grow up in the States? Once again all of the privileges none of the duties?
Princess Leonore, Prince Nicolas and Princess Adrienne (the children of Princess Madeleine of Sweden) are being raised in Florida. Though I think if this continues indefinitely they will lose their place in the line of succession. Given they're currently 8-10th in this line, I doubt it will be much of an issue.

becca

Princess Leonore, Prince Nicolas and Princess Adrienne (the children of Princess Madeleine of Sweden) are being raised in Florida. Though I think if this continues indefinitely they will lose their place in the line of succession. Given they're currently 8-10th in this line, I doubt it will be much of an issue.
Yes. I think Madeleine doesn’t care lol she actually does want a private life.

But notice the difference in attitude here. And the we support the future head of state the Crown Princess.

Last edited:

starrynight

I'm still pretty surprised at how much it seems Harry and Meghan so desperately wanted Archie to have the title of Prince.

It's surprising given how they describe how terrible the royal experience is, that they wanted their son to have that as well?

It's so different to the original position of them wanting him to not have a title so he could live a normal life.

millyskate

@starrynight if they were indeed told that Archie wouldn't become prince when Charles became King, I understand they'd be really hurt if that breaches normal protocol. It's the principle really - I get that.
However, we have no details and there are most likely a bazillion more scenarios "in between" that could have occurred.

becca

@starrynight if they were indeed told that Archie wouldn't become prince when Charles became King, I understand they'd be really hurt if that breaches normal protocol. It's the principle really - I get that.
However, we have no details and there are most likely a bazillion more scenarios "in between" that could have occurred.
I think that is something Charles likely wants to do and something Edward volunteered to do. I don’t think it’s because Archie is multiracial I think Charles would have wanted to do it no matter who Harry married.

skategal

Bunny mama
So it was an objection to the plan to 'slim down' the monarchy that was being floated back in 2019?
It seems so.

Charles has long had it planned to do this type of thing but I'm sure Harry never thought he would change the Law and make it applicable to Archie and his other children considering Charles only has 2 sons himself.

I'm sure in Royal circles this is all very shocking on the part of Charles. ;)

canbelto

Do you enjoy using the expression I deleted? It's been pointed out that it's offensive and not needed in order to get your point across.

I deleted it but I think it's necessary to get my point across. Because treating someone shitty because she's black is very different from treating the Cambridges with more deference.

starrynight

Do you enjoy using the expression I deleted? It's been pointed out that it's offensive and not needed in order to get your point across.
Yes I come from a country where it's not a used expression and still I flinch even seeing it written with dashes. I don't imagine other people find it pleasant to see either.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Kate is probably grateful that she had three kids and may even try to have a fourth. A lot of this pain seems to stem from Harry being treated so differently from William and not having any other siblings in the same boat to relate to about that.

Zara and Peter Phillips have been able to have their own commercial enterprises for their whole adult lives. I think part of the problem for Harry is that whatever the legal structure is for him and his son behind the scenes, the public sees him or saw him as a full working member of the BRF and always would see him that way. Look at the criticism he's getting for so-called getting a job with Netflix and Spotify. So in a sense, they had limitations similar to Charles and William without having that actual role..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information