Just call me Harry. (Everything Harry & Meghan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I think both of them like the attention and spotlight way more than they would like to admit. If they just wanted a career change, I think they should be honest about it. Whereas, the blame game has just negatively impacted Harry's family and home country.
That's my issue with H&M. There is a degree of disingenuousness to their stated issues with the intrusiveness of the press into their personal lives that doesn't live up to scrutiny when you examine their actions.

Jimena

My goodness. I don't get the criticism. They're global superstars whether we understand the reasoning behind that or not. They get to make money and do good in the world. And they get to be happy together with the changes they've made.

They're not hurting the UK. They have an awkward family situation on steroids. If you don't like what they're doing, don't pay attention to them. The concern trolling is kind of out of control.

canbelto

That's my issue with H&M. There is a degree of disingenuousness to their stated issues with the intrusiveness of the press into their personal lives that doesn't live up to scrutiny when you examine their actions.

Ok here's the thing. There's no one who loves books more than me. But just because I love reading books doesn't mean I love reading ALL books. Harry and Meghan don't have to welcome EVERY press intrusion into their life especially if that coverage is racist or flat out untrue. But they have every right to find press coverage that they want.

Most of the British tabloid stuff was racist and trashy. They don't have to welcome that. They can be happy to sit down with Oprah or James Corden.

starrynight

They are global superstars because Harry was born into a powerful ruling, aristocratic family based off hundreds of years of entrenched social and economic inequality.

The extent to which people can be comfortable with that, I think, depends on one's views of the world.

Harry and Meghan have actually really exposed the amount of privilege that is there, because they have been able to leave the UK (and any kind of reciprocal 'duties' that come with that privilege) and convert that into clear dollar figures and new mansions. (The UK system of inherited property and income does hide the money a lot).

I get that in this world there will be incredibly rich people and people who inherit vast fortunes. And the rich just get richer (through Netflix and Spotify deals). But I do feel uncomfortable with the adulation and platform that comes with money and power. It's just wolves in sheep's clothing when people like that try to paint themselves as champions against the system.

Last edited:

canbelto

They are global superstars because Harry was born into a powerful ruling, aristocratic family based off hundreds of years of entrenched social and economic inequality.

The extent to which people can be comfortable with that, I think, depends on one's views of the world.

Harry and Meghan have actually really exposed the amount of privilege that is there, because they have been able to leave the UK (and any kind of reciprocal 'duties' that come with that privilege) and convert that into clear dollar figures and new mansions. (The UK system of inherited property and income does hide the money a lot).

I get that in this world there will be incredibly rich people and people who inherit vast fortunes. And the rich just get richer (through Netflix and Spotify deals). But I do feel uncomfortable with the adulation and platform that comes with money and power. It's just wolves in sheep's clothing when people like that try to paint themselves as champions against the system.

Just curious: do you feel the same way about actors, singers, and athletes who have become fabulously wealthy but also speak out against social inequity? For instance Lebron James has all the money in the world but do you think he should just "shut up and dribble?"

starrynight

Just curious: do you feel the same way about actors, singers, and athletes who have become fabulously wealthy but also speak out against social inequity? For instance Lebron James has all the money in the world but do you think he should just "shut up and dribble?"

I suppose I could counter that by asking people if they think there should be a social class system where people by birth right become powerful, rich and are considered superior to the lower classes?

That stuff (i.e. the basis on which Harry exists) is the exact opposite to what someone like Lebron is campaigning for with social equality. Lebron had to make his life happen by himself with the odds not in his favour. He couldn't be more different to Harry in every possible way.

Last edited:

Jimena

Hey, I don't disagree. I don't understand why there are monarchies at all in this day and age.

There are so many rich people in the world who use their money just to make more money. We never hear about them, they're so far removed from us common folk. They don't give a rat's bum about the rest of us. Meghan and Harry don't strike me as the most offensive of these types of folks. At least they're trying to do some good with their position.

mjb52

Lebron is truly self-made though, it's different. This debate is fascinating, because I see both sides. I admit I sort of romanticized what I projected that Harry wanted, and it didn't involve multi-million dollar deals with Netflix. At the same time, he was born to this fame and didn't ask for it, and it's always going to be a part of his life; he can't just be regular old Harry, so he probably feels a responsibility to do something with it. And his idea of what it means to participate in providing for his family is obviously going to be different as well; he was never going to buy a bungalow or something. They also most likely have intense security needs, even being in the US, not the UK. I just don't know how far people expect them to go or what else their life could reasonably look like. I think in the romcom version of this, he might get a job as a helicopter pilot and she might go back to acting, but it doesn't work that way in real life.

I don't know that much about Edward and Wallis Simpson other than that they were sort of questionable figures during WWII. How did they live their lives post-royalty? I have the impression of them sort of wandering the world sponging off their richest friends which may be totally inaccurate. I don't think of them as happy figures, so that may be a negative example that Harry wants to avoid following. Should I watch W.E. :)?

starrynight

I don't follow basketball, so I looked up Lebron James on wiki and far out, he sounds like an incredible person who succeeded despite the world being stacked against him. I totally get why people would be inspired by him.

I don't know that much about Edward and Wallis Simpson other than that they were sort of questionable figures during WWII. How did they live their lives post-royalty? I have the impression of them sort of wandering the world sponging off their richest friends which may be totally inaccurate. I don't think of them as happy figures, so that may be a negative example that Harry wants to avoid following. Should I watch W.E.
:)
?

Yeah there's a lot of theories that Edward was pushed out just as much due to fears that he was a Nazi sympathiser and couldn't be trusted to lead Britain through a potential war.

canbelto

It takes a lot of discipline and drive for Lebron to be as successful as he is though. He not only has to stay in shape he has to protect his brand so he doesn't lose his endorsements. In 10-15 years we'll see if Harry and Meghan can turn those Netflix deals into a product or brand people want to buy. Right now they're just starting.

starrynight

It's probably a shorter window of opportunity than that.

In 10 to 15 years, Prince George and Charlotte will be in their late teens/early twenties and the attention will probably shift to whatever it is they are doing.

A great example is Sophie Wessex. Twenty years ago, the media pursued her to a point that they published topless photos of her in the papers. Now she's considered boring. Things do change. She just kept a low profile and other things caught the attention of the public.

mackiecat

Did anyone catch Harry with James Cordon? Kind of interesting Harry said it was his time on a double decker bus. He is pretty candid at times

Judy

It's probably a shorter window of opportunity than that.

In 10 to 15 years, Prince George and Charlotte will be in their late teens/early twenties and the attention will probably shift to whatever it is they are doing.

A great example is Sophie Wessex. Twenty years ago, the media pursued her to a point that they published topless photos of her in the papers. Now she's considered boring. Things do change. She just kept a low profile and other things caught the attention of the public.
Sophie is married to Edward though who is never going to be king. The U.K. media has always been focussed on Charles, William and Harry. We can throw Diana in there too. Some people want to blame them for Harry being born into something that he can’t change. I don’t blame him for wanting out though and for setting out on their own.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Sophie is married to Edward though who is never going to be king. The U.K. media has always been focussed on Charles, William and Harry. We can throw Diana in there too. Some people want to blame them for Harry being born into something that he can’t change. I don’t blame him for wanting out though and for setting out on their own.
I don't have any issues with Harry leaving the Royal lifestyle, he has never enjoyed the attention and British tabloids are brutal. His wife on the other hand enjoys attention.

canbelto

I don't have any issues with Harry leaving the Royal lifestyle, he has never enjoyed the attention and British tabloids are brutal. His wife on the other hand enjoys attention.

How? Since leaving the royal family she hasn't made many appearances and they appear happy living a basically quiet life.
I feel like this "enjoys attention" line is British tabloid trash. I haven't even seen Meghan once since she's left the royal family. Not on tv, not anywhere. The Netflix deal and the Oprah interview are things they are doing together.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
How? Since leaving the royal family she hasn't made many appearances and they appear happy living a basically quiet life.
I feel like this "enjoys attention" line is British tabloid trash. I haven't even seen Meghan once since she's left the royal family. Not on tv, not anywhere. The Netflix deal and the Oprah interview are things they are doing together.
Do you really believe Harry would have done the Netflix deal and Oprah interview if he was still single?

puglover

I agree with those who think it all remains to be seen with Harry and Meghan. What happens when they do return to the UK for a family event? Harry's grandparents will not live forever. Are Archie and his cousins going to be photographed playing together as we commonly see with the royal offspring? Oprah is interviewing them - just how much of it will be about past hurt and how much about future plans? Everyone seems comfortable with the vile British press being the villains - is that where it stays? They are not athletes or entertainers so how do they stay relevant and keep their children and home life private? Maybe people care about what the Queen gave Archie for Christmas and what pet name Meghan has for Harry. I personally hope they find a path to long term happiness and I am not sure it is ever going to come to them if they don't really seek lives outside the spotlight.

Karen-W

She has also been limited by the pan-demic. I am cynical enough to believe that is the only thing clipping her wings.

Karen-W

If she were white you wouldn't say that. This is a classic micro-aggression that black women are "pushy."
Excuse me? What on God's green earth does her race have to do with her Hollywood-style "philanthropic" efforts? There is no "micro-aggression" here, so you can just move that little narrative right along to the trash bin.

Meghan was very adept, before she married Harry, at building her own brand and promoting herself. I honestly think they both had an expectation, when they got married, that they would be able to build their own "Royal brand" through their Commonwealth work and they would be on equal footing with William & Kate which, unfortunately, is not how a monarchy, and especially not the BRF, works. I also think they feed off each other's narcissism and ego. So, they both had their wings clipped and then sniveled to each other about how it just wasn't fair, that they weren't getting the support they needed/deserved, and maybe they should just go off and do their own royal thing without any oversight from those meanies in Buckingham Palace or the press questioning their every last move (and that is not the same as the race-baiting, which was and is abhorrent). But, let's be real about the IQ of Meghan and Harry. Meghan is definitely the smarter of the two, and, in that regard, I do think she's the one driving the train, so to speak - everything they are doing is where her strengths laid before they got married. That's hardly a coincidence. Do I think that makes her pushy? I suppose it could, but the implication would then be that Harry is pussy-whipped. I don't think either is the case. Like I said, they're both a couple of narcissists who negatively reinforce to each other's worst perceptions, attitudes and behaviors.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

This is really interesting - thanks for posting it.
Even if they're getting the Spotify and Netflix money upfront (which would be pretty unusual) the thing I keep wondering about is - neither of them has any significant media experience on the production side. If they're going to be successful as producers, both podcasts and films, I hope they can afford to hire some very experienced staff to work with them.

@canbelto I agree that they are living a fairly quiet life, but hiring a professional photographer to take pictures on Remembrance Day and then getting PR staff to release photos to the media doesn't seem like the actions of people who want the media to leave them alone.

starrynight

his is really interesting - thanks for posting it.
Even if they're getting the Spotify and Netflix money upfront (which would be pretty unusual) the thing I keep wondering about is - neither of them has any significant media experience on the production side. If they're going to be successful as producers, both podcasts and films, I hope they can afford to hire some very experienced staff to work with them.
My understanding is that Harry and Meghan are attaching their names to productions that are going to be made by Netflix. Sort of like endorsing. So they are not actually making these shows themselves. Just getting hundreds of millions of dollars because of their family name. It's pretty sad when you think of all the genuine artists and film makers out there who will never see any money for their talents. Same goes for artists on Spotify who don't get paid well enough for their material. But the Sussexes get tens of millions just due their class status of being royal.

It's whiplash to me how such a pair whose whole platform is built on the riches of entrenched social inequality and hereditary birthright are somehow appealing to a target audience who should in theory reject everything they represent.

Some pretty clever marketing has gone into that, I think.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I think both of them like the attention and spotlight way more than they would like to admit. If they just wanted a career change, I think they should be honest about it. Whereas, the blame game has just negatively impacted Harry's family and home country.
I don't think they like the attention and spotlight. I think they simply want to use it to promote their causes and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Plenty of celebrities use their name recognition and media coverage to promote their causes while they stay out of the spotlight otherwise. (I'm increasingly convinced that this is what they wanted to begin with (maybe with a rare appearance at a royal event here and there) but that it wasn't possible while they were working royals).

Reactions: JJH

MsZem

I see the sea
I don't think they like the attention and spotlight. I think they simply want to use it to promote their causes and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Plenty of celebrities use their name recognition and media coverage to promote their causes while they stay out of the spotlight otherwise. (I'm increasingly convinced that this is what they wanted to begin with (maybe with a rare appearance at a royal event here and there) but that it wasn't possible while they were working royals).
I think Meghan does if it's on her terms, and in her time as a royal, it most certainly wasn't. Harry would have probably been perfectly happy doing Invictus and similar initiatives for years to come if things had worked out differently.

Anyway, I don't even care if they decide to live like Kardashian/Jenners; there is indeed nothing wrong with wanting to build a personal brand and using whatever talent, skills and connections one has to make it happen - which is exactly what Kim Kardashian has done. I like that Meghan has been ambitious in her career and made things happen for herself.

I do mind their ongoing complaints about how hard they have it and how nobody cares about them (e.g., Meghan saying nobody asked her how she was doing when she became a mother, come on). They are among the most privileged people in the world. Act like it.

starrynight

I do mind their ongoing complaints about how hard they have it and how nobody cares about them (e.g., Meghan saying nobody asked her how she was doing when she became a mother, come on). They are among the most privileged people in the world. Act like it.

I think that's what gets me. It's the victim narrative they have built when they are in fact privileged beyond the wildest dreams of the average person. Especially given the hardship people have experienced throughout the world over the last year.

It's a bit like in their book, where all the main squabbles I heard about were over tiaras, hairdressers and shopping trips. Pretty silly rich people stuff.

I think this stuff annoys me, because work and life has become a lot harder over the last year and there's always these two plastered over the media with some kind of grievance. I just see it, and I think, what could they possibly know of what working people experience of the world? To me, they've just become symbols of the inequalities of life.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

They certainly are. Still, I imagine it would be quite an adjustment and somewhat of a shock for an "ordinary" person to marry into the BRF and I don't think I'd want to switch places with any of them. But, I think that's why William advised Harry to have a long(er) engagement. While we don't know how the conversation went, I don't think they can say they weren't warned. (And there are other ways to articulate what Meghan/they have gone through/experienced than they have done).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information