2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championships moved to Las Vegas; no audience

olympic

Get a free trial to Peacock
Thank you @tony but I already went through the free trial to try and watch SA pairs which didn't work BTW: Peacock sent me in a loop to sign up instead of sending me directly to the programming.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Thank you @tony but I already went through the free trial to try and watch SA pairs which didn't work BTW: Peacock sent me in a loop to sign up instead of sending me directly to the programming.
Fairly certain you can just use a different email address and just get around it, or maybe your first attempt never went through. Whatever source you were trying on, use something else (ie if it was a phone, use a computer). I don't even know if there's a general free trial still, but there should be.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Regarding the exchange above re NFL playoffs - The men's free in my area is being pre-empted on Sunday for the play-offs :(

I will follow-up but would they shift the men's free to NBCSN or am I SOL? I notice there is a silly motor-bike comp at that time on NBCSN. IDK if NBC switches programming. Where can I watch it?
The two playoff games on Sunday are on CBS and FOX so there shouldn’t be anything on NBC besides the skating.

Sylvia

TBD
The delayed Skating Spectacular is about to start on NBC (1 to 3 pm Eastern on Sunday, Feb. 14; check your local listings).

ETA:

This was taped on Sunday, Jan. 17 (after the Men's FS). NBC leads off with Alysa's new exhibition program to "It's Oh So Quiet" by Bjork.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
This was taped on Sunday, Jan. 17 (after the Men's FS). NBC leads off with Alysa's new exhibition program to "It's Oh So Quiet" by Bjork.
I dont know if it was the baby doll nightgown and little girl "sshuhs" motions or what, but I really did not like this exhibition

Sylvia

TBD
Karen's 2018 Stars on Ice program was the first time I heard "Never Enough" (thanks, Karen, NOT! :lol:).

ETA: Yikes on the awkward fall on the failed 3Lo attempt! (She scrambled up laughing.)

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
OMG I love Karen but could she not skate to literally ANYTHING else. I don't even like Greatest Showman, but also this is one of my least favorite songs from this movie.

Sylvia

TBD
Have C-G/LeDuc skated their "Latch" EX before? Can't recall.

ETA: Just checked and yes, they skated to this at the 2020 Skate America EX; ditto Calalang/Johnson to "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Chock/Bates skated to Jessica Simpson's cover of These Boots Are Made for Walkin' (EX from last season).

I believe Vincent Zhou's EX to Sign of the Times by Harry Styles is new.

ETA:

Amber Glenn brought back her Whole Lotta Woman (Kelly Clarkson) from last season.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Knierim/Frazier performed their new EX to "Here We Stand" by Hidden Citizens.

3 of the 4 winning free programs were shown again: Bradie's & Hubbell/Donohue's earlier and now Nathan's.

ETA:

Madi/Zach skated to "Jealous" by Labrinth - think this was a new program for them? Ditto for Bradie's "Up!" by Shania Twain.

And Nathan closes the broadcast with his "Rocketman."

Last edited:

sk8nlizard

Knierim/Frazier performed their new EX to "Here We Stand" by Hidden Citizens.

3 of the 4 winning free programs were shown again: Bradie's & Hubbell/Donohue's earlier and now Nathan's.

ETA:

Madi/Zach skated to "Jealous" by Labrinth - think this was a new program for them? Ditto for Bradie's "Up!" by Shania Twain.

And Nathan closes the broadcast with his "Rocketman."
K/F I think was just their short program set to exhibition music? I’m assuming as a new pair they didn’t have time to put together a show program, but I thought they did something different at SA.
I liked that there was more upbeat music this time. I don’t enjoy galas when it’s all slow music. There were quite a few programs I enjoyed!

mtnskater

I was pleasantly surprised by some really good exhibition programs this year given all the difficulties.

Alysa just totally lights up the ice. Her expression and charisma really capture my attention. I am so excited to see her development as a skater. I didn’t care for the “Oh So Quiet” exhibition when Kristi Y. did it and don’t love it on Alysa either though she was very expressive and charming And it was wonderful to have a tribute to one of my favorite all time skaters.

Chock and Bates “These Boots Are Made for Walking” exhibition was really great in my book. Another very clever theme skate that Madison sizzled in. They sure have found a choreographer that gets them! Her costume was adorable.

Similarly Hubbell and Donahue’s “Jealous” also a highlight for me. They do relationship themes so well and I felt this music really showed off their amazing skating prowess...flow, power and deep edges with great expression.

Amber Glenn impressed with her power and conviction despite mistakes on the jumps. She looked fierce!

Vincent just looks like a different skater this year with his improved skating skills and expression. Can’t wait to see how he does at Worlds and next year.

Karen Chen really showed the beauty of her skating. The triple lutz was her usual huge delayed rotation jump. The awkward mistake on the loop marred the program a bit, but ended with her superior spiral and layback combo.

I loved Johnny’s comment that the Swan Lake parody program from H&B was exactly the type of program he and Tara would do....with Tara as the Jean-Luc black swan part. 🤩

Calalang & Johnson showed their really strong skating skills and lifts. Enjoyed that program a lot.

I found Knieirim and Frazier’s exhibition a bit less effective than their competitive programs...but who cares! They are a lovely very talented team together.

Finally Nathan gave us a very expressive “Rocket man”, still one of my favorite programs for him. All of the skaters came out to watch him so he had a small audience. I agree with the comments that I’d love for him to have real costumes. Maybe he’ll surprise us in the Olympic year 😉

Side note: it was so sad that Mariah Bell was totally left out. She has been at The top of US ladies for the past several years and just had a very off nationals I believe because of the pressure of living up to last years roof raising performance and the expectation that this year was her year to win. I wish she could have skated the exhibition. We need to keep promoting our stars even when they have a bad comp.

I loved the Mabel Fairbanks tribute segment and that Starr skated as part of that.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I have to disagree about Chock/Bates exhibit. It looked very unpolished and like it had been an after thought. With a little more practice, it could be a good one. Evan looked like he was much more prepared-i was drawn to his finished look. Madi looked like she had just been given the choreography 7 days ago.

cheremary

Side note: it was so sad that Mariah Bell was totally left out. She has been at The top of US ladies for the past several years and just had a very off nationals I believe because of the pressure of living up to last years roof raising performance and the expectation that this year was her year to win. I wish she could have skated the exhibition. We need to keep promoting our stars even when they have a bad comp.

Was Mariah not shown? I didn’t get a chance to watch this today, but she did skate in the exhibition and her program was televised in Japan. Video of her skate here: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CKMKygOJQ45/?igshid=17con95h4o3g

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Debbie S

I have to disagree about Chock/Bates exhibit. It looked very unpolished and like it had been an after thought. With a little more practice, it could be a good one. Evan looked like he was much more prepared-i was drawn to his finished look. Madi looked like she had just been given the choreography 7 days ago.
They've talked about the disruptions to their training this season. Obviously, training comp programs takes priority over exhibition programs. Given the limited time they had to prepare for comps, they likely had even less time to practice for exhibitions.

So somebody was CHACKED, after all??? Another TV audience??? Japan got Mariah Bell...but did Japan get to see Starr Andrews and the tribute to Mabel Fairbanks?
From some pics I saw (I think from USFS) posted on social media, it appears that the 4th place finishers also skated. Hopefully the version that gets posted on Peacock will have everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information