ISU has cancelled 2021 Europeans, ISU Grand Prix Final, World Junior Synchro; Stockholm Worlds still on for now

skipaway

World’s can be a month long festival in Las Vegas. Each discipline gets their week with plenty of practice time in the main arena and the competition over the weekend like Grand Prix series. Move out on Monday and new discipline arrives on Tuesday. 😀

Tinami Amori

but then there is this? how does it criss-cross with the law?

A major uncertainty for all organizers of international sports events in Sweden has been the entry ban from countries outside EU.
The Swedish government recently decided that from November 20, participants in international sports events are allowed to travel to Sweden from all countries.

"We are happy that one of the biggest obstacles to being able to carry out the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 has now been removed", says Ulrika Molin.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ The above statement on the Stockholm Worlds website is dated Nov. 27, 2020 (I posted the link in this thread back on Dec. 10).

ETA that I believe the ISU Council is scheduled to meet next at the end of this month.

Last edited:

starrynight

I think the issue is that for the last 80 or so years, the Olympics became a means for countries to show off their development or 'arrival' on the international stage. So it was a competition to outspend and outshine the previous nations. Personally, I recall the Sydney Olympics being a lot about Australia trying to demonstrate that it could stage an Olympics better than the much more powerful United States.

Whereas, at the post WW2 Olympics in London, it was run on such a budget the athletes were told to bring their own towels.

starrynight

Yes I did a bit of reading about the 1948 Olympics. It was done with zero tax payer money because Britain was so broke from the War and public money was (understandably) going to restoration and veterans instead of sports.

I think each country had to deliver a cheque to cover the attendance costs of their athletes (which @taz'smum I presume was what your father couldn't afford his share of). And much of the labour was actually done for free by the boy scouts.

I mean, it was an extreme time in world history then where much of the world was in ruins and millions and millions were dead. But it does show that these things are possible even in the worst of times.

Last edited:

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I'm sure your daughter is grateful to you. A great sports legacy for your family to be proud of 🤗
Thanks though it still makes me sad to think of how he felt about missing such an incredible opportunity, he suffered a lot from being born into poverty. He couldn't go to school at times, as you needed shoes to be able to go to school.
Such a shame he died when Tiff was so young, it would've been everything for him to see her succeed, even if he'd just lived long enough to see her in club competitions.

Miezekatze

but then there is this? how does it criss-cross with the law?

I don't think this law in general means much at all. It's just a law that allows Sweden to use all sort of stricter restrictions against the pandemic that other European countries have been using for a long time (I think the media coverage about Sweden was very bad and I think one point that kept being ignored is that the main reason why Sweden had much less restrictions is that their constitution and laws simply didn't allow imposing them. I think since they are also struggling badly to get through winter, they have finally taken actions to make more strict measures possible).

But that law only makes harder restrictions possible it doesn't mean that Sweden will instantly disallow professional sports events.

Germany and Austria are currently having all sorts of national and international sports events during hard lockdown and I think other countries are too. I watched a bit of the ski jumping yesterday and was pleased that it at least looks a lot better organized than Russian figure skating (nearly everybody wearing FFP2 masks, even though it's outdoors).

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Philip Hersh just tweeted the following:

Philip Hersh

@olyphil

·
41m

Friend deeply involved in figure skating in Sweden just emailed me to say all of the upcoming domestic competitions - including national championships - have been cancelled because of COVID. The World Championships are to take place in Stockholm at end of March.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Philip Hersh just tweeted the following:
Philip Hersh
@olyphil

·
41m

Friend deeply involved in figure skating in Sweden just emailed me to say all of the upcoming domestic competitions - including national championships - have been cancelled because of *********. The World Championships are to take place in Stockholm at end of March.
Sounds like we may have to push worlds to early fall, I can’t imagine canceling again. The second wave is really scary.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The prediction is for Jan and Feb to be a shitshow and then for things to gradually get better. I doubt they'd have to be pushed to Fall. Things will be at least as good as they were when GP events happened much sooner than that and other sports are still happening all over the world right now in spite of the shitshow we're in.

Sounds like we may have to push worlds to early fall, I can’t imagine canceling again. The second wave is really scary.

mjb52

I don't get Phil Hersh's whole thing at all. Does he still publish articles or does he just mostly have a blog now?

Sylvia

TBD
The article about cancelling the domestic competitions for the season in Sweden was from 22nd December.
Here's the link to the announcement on the Swedish federation's website: https://www.svenskkonstakning.se/Nyheter/forbundstavlingarstallsinrestenavsasongen/
I don't get Phil Hersh's whole thing at all. Does he still publish articles or does he just mostly have a blog now?
Hersh tweets and free lances for NBC Sports' OlympicTalk (he re-posts/links to his articles in his Globetrotting blog).

Orm Irian

The prediction is for Jan and Feb to be a shitshow and then for things to gradually get better. I doubt they'd have to be pushed to Fall. Things will be at least as good as they were when GP events happened much sooner than that and other sports are still happening all over the world right now in spite of the shitshow we're in.
The B117 variant with its higher virulence wasn’t in community transmission across multiple countries when the GP events were taking place. If, horribly, Worlds does happen this year, then at minimum all of the protocols for COVID safety will need to be revamped to be suitable for a variant that is far more transmissible than the formerly dominant one.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I can confirm that, as my father was selected for the 1948 London Olympics but couldn't afford the train fare to London and his accommodation so couldn't go..

A few years ago I did some research involving the 1936 winter and summer Olympics, and it seems like athletes not being able to compete for lack of funds was not uncommon in that era. There were several Canadian athletes chosen for both of those Olympics who weren't able to go because they couldn't afford the travel and the accommodation.

skatingguy

decently
A few years ago I did some research involving the 1936 winter and summer Olympics, and it seems like athletes not being able to compete for lack of funds was not uncommon in that era. There were several Canadian athletes chosen for both of those Olympics who weren't able to go because they couldn't afford the travel and the accommodation.
The modern Olympics were originally established for upper class frat boys to get together for some fun.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The modern Olympics were originally established for upper class frat boys to get together for some fun.

Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich Romanov -a cousin of the last Tsar - competed in equestrian events in 1912, for ex.

I found a late-1930s Sports Illustrated article that described the “blue blood” of the new US Ladies champion...”from one of the best Boston families...” That was almost more important than their abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information