From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Are you from Russia? By the way, Mishin and his wife have around 13 years age gap. Alyona and Sergei - around 14.
I really do not get why is creepy?!? :(
In and of itself, it is not. If they're happy, good for them. It's more the OTT gushing about how beautiful she is that set the tone, not the possible relationship with one of her coaches. Not, that she isn't beautiful because she is. This is a little difficult to articulate.

NadezhdaNadya

Banned Member
Russia’s legal age of consent is 18, although local authorities can amend it under certain extraordinary circumstances.

The rumored situation is sad - sad if true, sad if not. I just assume not true unless we hear from those concerned, themselves.
I just checked - the legal age of consent in Russia is 16. In Bulgaria - my country - the legal age of consent is 14. I just checked, I never knew that before today. Anyway... Most of my friends had their first boyfriends after the age of 25. So... And as I said, we have negative population growth in Bulgaria and most people I know had children after the age of 27.

Tinami Amori

I mean, isn’t legal age in Russia 16? Not making arguments here, but you’re of Russian heritage..
Yes, in Russia "age of consent" is 16, across the country, that's the law. Yet only someone who is an adult of 18 years or older, can "break the law" by involving with a "minor under 16". However, if two 15 year-old have sex, none of them can be held accountable.

My gosh... some comments in this thread about underage girls make me baffled.
Kostornaya is not under-aged by Russian laws to have sexual relationship.

Last edited:

NadezhdaNadya

Banned Member
Yes, in Russia "age of consent" is 16, across the country, that's the law. Yet only someone who is an adult of 18 years or older, can "break the law" by involving with a "minor under 16". However, if two 15 year-old have sex, none of them can be held accountable.

Kostornaya is not under-aged by Russian laws.
Thank you for clarifying that. :) I know that you are from Russia. By the way, I found the same information when I checked the laws in Russia. :)
In Bulgaria the age of consent is 14. Oh, my...

Tinami Amori

Russia’s legal age of consent is 18, although local authorities can amend it under certain extraordinary circumstances.

No. It is a common mistake to confuse "age of consent to have sex" (16) with "legal age to get married" (18). First one is a "sexual readiness issue", the second one is "maturity to enter into a legal matter/contract" (marriage is a contract/legal matter).

Sylvia

TBD
Maybe we can get back to discussing the skating? Ladies 4th to 11th in the FS:

Daria Usacheva (4th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_euMlmowtTc

Maiia Khromykh (5th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvDQ-mEW1Ms

Ksenia Tsibinova (8th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NMk3YH8URU

Maria Talalaikina (9th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHsyVoRQ0E (note: she & Frolova both scored 133.43 in FS; PCS is tiebreaker)

Anna Frolova: (11th overall; ETA the place where she skates in the stream with Ted Barton's commentary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_KhxKAhRQE&t=25m25s)

Elizaveta Nugumanova (6th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKeZGbPF8xw

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (7th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLnmmMrb2x8

Sofia Samodurova (10th overall): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7hmWGaMGVg

ETA:
Kudos to all 3!

GOLD Anna Shcherbakova (3-time national champ!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bVsr8KP968

SILVER Kamila Valieva: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Wu2tQOnK8

BRONZE Alexandra Trusova: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXPe6S1Zho0

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
So how does Team Russia work? I.e. Scherbakova/Trusova/Nugumanova go to the Worlds should they take place and Scherbakova/Trusova/Nugumanova/Tuktamysheva/Tsibinova/Talalaikina get the funcing (wait, is Tsibinova a senior or a junior?) And will they hold the junior nationals this year?
Somehow I have a feeling if there are worlds there will be a re-skate between Nugumanova/Tuktamysheva/Kostornaya/(perhaps Medvedeva? Perhaps Samodurova?)

Tinami Amori

So how does Team Russia work? I.e. Scherbakova/Trusova/Nugumanova go to the Worlds should they take place and Scherbakova/Trusova/Nugumanova/Tuktamysheva/Tsibinova/Talalaikina get the funcing (wait, is Tsibinova a senior or a junior?) And will they hold the junior nationals this year?
Somehow I have a feeling if there are worlds there will be a re-skate between Nugumanova/Tuktamysheva/Kostornaya/(perhaps Medvedeva? Perhaps Samodurova?)
Ksenia Tsibinova, born January 23, 2004. She is 16 years of age. Senior.

There is Russian Cup Final coming up. Very likely it will be used to determine the 3rd spot for the Worlds.

To the list of potential 3rd spot takers, add Frolova and Sinitsina.

Not only there will be Russian Junior Nationals, there were will be several other competitions for all groups, to replace the cancelled international events. The decision will be made on January 28th, when the Russian Feds and Trainers' Council meet this year.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Feb. 1-5 Championship of Russia among juniors Krasnoyarsk
Feb. 23-27 Final of the "Cup of Russia - Rostelecom" Velikiy Novgorod

And there might be a domestic comp. organized for the original dates of Euros, Jan. 25-31, 2021.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I suspect there will be a skate off at the Russian cup finals same as there was for the last worlds, but it will be between Nugu, Tuk and Kostornaia if she's healthy. Samodurova has not got any benefit of the doubt throughout the Russian cup series. I hope Nugu at least is named to the reserve team and is eligible for some funding. The other two will be fine with that regard.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Feb. 1-5 Championship of Russia among juniors Krasnoyarsk
Feb. 23-27 Final of the "Cup of Russia - Rostelecom" Velikiy Novgorod

And there might be a domestic comp. organized for the original dates of Euros, Jan. 25-31, 2021.

Bless them. It's practically a full season of skating. Something to look forward to every month.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
No. It is a common mistake to confuse "age of consent to have sex" (16) with "legal age to get married" (18). First one is a "sexual readiness issue", the second one is "maturity to enter into a legal matter/contract" (marriage is a contract/legal matter).
Sorry. We are Russian Orthodox, so I’ll bow out of further discussion to not offend others with my beliefs. :)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Bless them. It's practically a full season of skating. Something to look forward to every month.
I know it's selfish since so many of the Russian skaters have had various results with exposure to C19 and I'm very sorry some of them have really struggled (Shpilevava :( ), but I'm grateful for them having the Russian cup series and for showing all of them.

irenemulindwairen

What happened to Liza and Bazin today? Too much nerves?

Why is it that S/B didn't excite me much. Stepanova still moves like a giraffe on ice barely bending her knees. A pretty giraffe mind you. And Bukin constantly plasters his face with that ridiculous smile. Why?

Not to say that I'm an uber fan of competition ditching, S/K, either but Russian ice dance, for all their super spreader events and camps, seem a bit stale this season.

Any juniors worth watching? It seems Katashinskaya has outgrown her partner. She has spark but she needs to tame her twizzles. She's built like the Stepford wives but she moves like Tessa Virtue. Sigh. She needs a rescue...
Thank you for this comment
I totally agree with you

Tinami Amori

I suspect there will be a skate off at the Russian cup finals same as there was for the last worlds, but it will be between Nugu, Tuk and Kostornaia if she's healthy.
I would not limit it to these three names.

I think, just like the Feds were willing to let into the Russian Nationals skaters who did not perform 2 events at the Russian Cup Series, the Feds will be willing to let the top skaters participate in the Russian Cup Finals. The top skaters would include Medvedeva and Sinitsina, if they decide/ready to skate.

Also Frolova qualified for the Russian Cup Finals, and she is a fairly strong skater WHEN she does not make mistakes.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'd be thrilled for Sinitsina if she's healthy enough to skate. I'd be very surprised if Medvedeva reaches that point, albeit if she does, the fed would certainly let her skate if she wants to do so. Although, they have a strong team for worlds with Shcherbakova and Trusova, so the third skater is just a bonus. I would hope Tuk got that spot, but I wouldn't count on it. :( Given Kostornaia is struggling with her 3A, I'd go with Tuk in hopes of a sweep (the only thing stopping that may be Kihira), but Medvedeva brings nothing to the table at this point except her popularity. And, that's not a condemnation against her. She'd like to still be competitive, but she's just not, or just not now.

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!
I'm guessing no World teams are set in stone, especially if you're not Kolyada, Scherbakova, Trusova, S&B, Z&G, T&M, and B&K. Usually Nationals just guarantees a Euros spot, and Euros determines the World team. Since Euros were cancelled, I expect either the replacement Euros or the Russian Cup Finals will be the determiner.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
If worlds happens, I’m wonder if RusFed will make M/G and P/K skate off for the third pairs spot?
At least there won't be one for dance. S/K, S/B and Z/G will be the teams assuming they all stay healthy/have a good recovery. A skate off between M/G and P/K would be a dilemma for me. I like both teams, but my heart belongs to P/K.

Tinami Amori

I'd be thrilled for Sinitsina if she's healthy enough to skate. I'd be very surprised if Medvedeva reaches that point, albeit if she does, the fed would certainly let her skate if she wants to do so. Although, they have a strong team for worlds with Shcherbakova and Trusova, so the third skater is just a bonus. I would hope Tuk got that spot, but I wouldn't count on it. :( Given Kostornaia is struggling with her 3A, I'd go with Tuk in hopes of a sweep (the only thing stopping that may be Kihira), but Medvedeva brings nothing to the table at this point except her popularity. And, that's not a condemnation against her. She'd like to still be competitive, but she's just not, or just not now.
I am also in doubt that Medvedeva will be ready by 25th of Feb (Rus. Cup Finals), or rather "back to her fully competitive shape", but who knows... Shcherbakova recovered quite well in 2 weeks... :).

If Tuk solidifies 3A and includes the 4T she has been practicing, then Feds will certainly stand behind her, and likely add her to the Team. If she does not, then she is of little interest to them, she is "old school" skating which does not score well lately. By the way, Nugumanova is very "old school" as well, and not likely to learn difficult jumps.

I suspect, the Federation is more interested in Kostornaya regaining her shape. But if not, then their interest would lean towards CSKA/Davydov's skaters: Frolova and Tsibinova (Davydov's whole group is putting importance on learning quads and 3A) and Panova's skater Sinitsina (she had no quads but has other qualities which are rewarded by the judges). Davydov training methods are totally "new school", just like TeamTutberidze. The Feds, while thinking of possible Worlds 2021, more concerned with who'll make the Team for the Olympics, and which skaters should be groomed for that purpose. (imo).

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I was wondering when the camera kept showing her in the stands if she was thinking like Jill Trenary watching 1991 USNationals that her time has passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information