Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
He was one of the better actors last century. Look at one of his earlier roles, such as his performance in Maurice. The problem is not his acting; rom-coms may have made him a Hollywood star, but they sidetracked a serious career.
That was the first film I saw him in. James Wilby and Rupert Graves also had decent careers too throughout the years. It's one of my favorite films.

text_skate

We're going to be watching the final episode this evening as well as the last two eps of Stranger Season 1. Have enjoyed both a lot!

Unbelievably, Stranger Season 2 is just as good if not better. Incredibly show, incredible acting, incredible consistency in quality.

It does take some concentration. The subtitles go by quickly and you have to pay attention to what they say. It's not a show for multitasking.
Thank you. Your comments "made" me look into it, right away. 10 days ago, I've started watching, from the beginning. I love it! I wish I could binge this show. But it takes a bit of effort to stay on top of the dialogues with all those fast moving subtitles with lot of words, and the episodes longer than the usual European episode... . Furthermore, I've got a lot of work to do (which is good future-wise). I've just managed 10 eps so far.

dinakt

I finally watched "Emma." (2020), on Amazon Prime/HBO, and I think it is exquisite and just right for the spirit of the book. Fantastic young actors, great old actors, stunning visuals, but most importantly, not boring (for me, at all). I am rather shocked to see how low the IMDB rating is for it, and how many negative reviews there are. For me, this version is up there with 1995 "P&P", and way more authentic in spirit than most Austen adaptations I saw. The director takes liberties, but to me, they are justified, as they bring a bit of modern sensibilities into it while being true to the spirit/cleverness/frothiness/emotion of the original novel.
One review I saw compared the pacing with Wes Anderson. I see it, and relate- I love some of Anderson's movies a great deal, so similar whimsical approach is a big plus for me. And it is the first time I LIKED Emma herself.

Judy

Not in Canada :( Which I found out after I told little mic we could watch it :duh:
I know right. One thing that I can absolutely say say for the U.S. you guys have access to much more content then us. But I am still grateful for the price of Netflix and Prime as my cable is just too expensive for what you get with satellite or cable here.

mjb52

A new season of Hilda is coming and I'm very excited. It's for kids but totally watchable for adults, and I always turn on the French dub and use it to practice my (abysmal) comprehension. If there was a Russian dub, that would be even more perfect but my Russian can't even stand up to Masha and the Bear, so the whole situation there is pretty hopeless I fear.

vgerdes

He was one of the better actors last century. Look at one of his earlier roles, such as his performance in Maurice. The problem is not his acting; rom-coms may have made him a Hollywood star, but they sidetracked a serious career.
I don't know if I would say his career was "sidetracked" by his rom-com fame, as such. He got a crack at some of his more serious roles because of that fame. But yes, his acting skill is often dismissed because of it as well. Double-edged sword.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I just finished Versailles, and WOW!!! I wasn't paying attention to the episodes or even the seasons so I was watching this episode and 45 minutes to the end I started tearing up and was crying the whole rest of the episode. About halfway through my waterworks I realized this must be the series finale because I never really got emotional watching the series. Just a great series with a great wrap-up!!!

Also. I noticed there is a new movie called Rebecca on Netflix. Could that possibly be the Daphne duMaurier's Rebecca???? I just have to say, NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Has anyone braved it and seen it? It just can't be any better than Olivier and Fontaine and Dame Judith Anderson!!!! Sorry.

emason

Also. I noticed there is a new movie called Rebecca on Netflix. Could that possibly be the Daphne duMaurier's Rebecca???? I just have to say, NO. NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Has anyone braved it and seen it? It just can't be any better than Olivier and Fontaine and Dame Judith Anderson!!!! Sorry.
This is not the first remake of Rebecca; it’s at least the third, but it won’t be the last. I have not bothered to watch as the reviews I saw were not good.

Jimena

I'm loving Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher. I truly enjoyed the scene between Helena Bonham Carter's Princess Margaret and her and I'm usually ho-hum about HBC. I really do much prefer Tobias Menzies as Prince Phillip over Doctor Who. Josh O'Connor is excellent still and I loved Emerald Fennell's telephone scene with him during the second episode, she played it so well. Emma Corrin is such the right choice for Diana. She comes in with such a look and breath of fresh air that you see the star power inside of her ready to burst out. I'm surprised she's being replaced for series 5 and 6 by an actress only 6 years older than her. I guess she reads much younger. Still unsure about Olivia Colman as The Queen as I'm still not sure if she's the right fit.

I love Olivia Colman. Love her. I've been a fan for years. I think she's incredibly talented. But I just finished binge watching season 3 and 4 of The Crown and I think she was miscast.

The series has left me disliking Thatcher with the heat of a thousand suns, but thinking Gillian Anderson was amazing. I also really liked the actor who played Harold Wilson. And Tobias Menzies is wonderful. I really enjoy him as Philip. The Royal Family as an institution doesn't come off well at all. Charles and Diana come across as entitled brats, both of them. Charles is so whiny and damaged, and Diana is such as attention hog and so immature. The casting and acting is really good for both characters but there was very little to "like" there.

Cachoo

Hugh Grant has quietly been establishing himself as one of the better actors out there this century.
I agree but I have to tell you that the water cooler talk at work was deciding which one of Nicole's coats we desired most. Her wardrobe.....wow.

Teamgracie

I just finished Versailles, and WOW!!! I wasn't paying attention to the episodes or even the seasons so I was watching this episode and 45 minutes to the end I started tearing up and was crying the whole rest of the episode. About halfway through my waterworks I realized this must be the series finale because I never really got emotional watching the series. Just a great series with a great wrap-up!!!

I watched it. I’ll watch anything based on the classics. I didn’t think it was that bad, not great but it wasn’t terrible.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Hugh Grant has quietly been establishing himself as one of the better actors out there this century.
He was really good in The Gentlemen and Florence Foster Jenkins. I agree that he got stuck in a mould but has been doing a lot of films lately that allow him to branch out from that.

AJ Skatefan

I love Olivia Colman. Love her. I've been a fan for years. I think she's incredibly talented. But I just finished binge watching season 3 and 4 of The Crown and I think she was miscast.

The series has left me disliking Thatcher with the heat of a thousand suns, but thinking Gillian Anderson was amazing. I also really liked the actor who played Harold Wilson. And Tobias Menzies is wonderful. I really enjoy him as Philip. The Royal Family as an institution doesn't come off well at all. Charles and Diana come across as entitled brats, both of them. Charles is so whiny and damaged, and Diana is such as attention hog and so immature. The casting and acting is really good for both characters but there was very little to "like" there.
I disagree. Especially this season. I thought she was a great Elizabeth

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
He was one of the better actors last century. Look at one of his earlier roles, such as his performance in Maurice.
I loved that film.

Although I also love Music + Lyrics :cheer2:

I have a hard time thinking of him as one of the better actors of the century, though, if only because most of his characters post-fame have a same sameness to them. You're not getting a character, you're getting HughGrant(TM) in different scenarios. But I haven't seen anything recent with him.

I finally gave in and started watching The Crown. The episodes are so dense, and I have to stop and look up all kinds of historical context, so it will take me a while to get through the first 2 seasons. I'm already attached to Claire Foy though and will be sad when the cast switches.

VGThuy

I loved that film.

Although I also love Music + Lyrics :cheer2:

I have a hard time thinking of him as one of the better actors of the century, though, if only because most of his characters post-fame have a same sameness to them. You're not getting a character, you're getting HughGrant(TM) in different scenarios. But I haven't seen anything recent with him.

I finally gave in and started watching The Crown. The episodes are so dense, and I have to stop and look up all kinds of historical context, so it will take me a while to get through the first 2 seasons. I'm already attached to Claire Foy though and will be sad when the cast switches.
I highly suggest you check out some of his later works. I admittedly would have given him an Oscar nomination for About a Boy, but his work in Paddington 2 was seriously Oscar-worthy to the point where I'd give him a win. I'm not kidding. He was also the best part of Florence Foster Jenkins* by far and deserved an Oscar nomination. He tapped into somewhere deep in that one while balancing the more light-hearted tone of the film very well. Both he and Ben Whishaw (another favorite of mine since the underrated Bright Star) deserved all their accolades for A Very English Scandal.

*I also found Meryl to be less Meryl in that one and enjoyed it immensely after almost not forgiving her for ruining August: Osage County (shockingly, Julia Roberts was great in that one) which that along with Doubt and Into the Woods made realize why she doesn't do Broadway because she simply misses the mark compared to her stage counterparts in those roles.

mjb52

I'm watching the Korean film Burning. I'm not done yet, but the first 3/5ths are incredible. It's based on a Murakami short story.

Desperado

I've always enjoyed Grant's understated performance in Sense & Sensibility opposite Emma Thompson, another of my favourites. Recently I've only seen him in FFJ. I couldn't finish the movie but he was good it in, I just couldn't get into the story or Streep's performance.

ETA - I haven't watched movies with the same assiduity as a decade ago, and my tastes aren't very refined, but if I were to choose one actor who gave me the most pleasure watching him on screen over decades (even the stupid, but still funny dance in Love Actually), it would be Hugh Grant.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm watching the Korean film Burning. I'm not done yet, but the first 3/5ths are incredible. It's based on a Murakami short story.
That movie is truly incredible. There’s so much to unpack with it,

mjb52

That movie is truly incredible. There’s so much to unpack with it,

I finished and then immediately sought out and read the Murakami story (which you can find online). They really fleshed it out - it was interesting to see the changes in the main character from the story to the film. Steven Yeun was incredible, that's a tough part to play. Now I want to find the Faulkner story the Murakami one was apparently based on.

vgerdes

Bah, Four Weddings, Notting Hill, About a Boy, Love Actually and Music & Lyrics are all terrific/successful movies, even if they are (OMG!) romantic comedies. If you ask me, all better than that awful Meryl Streep movie.
I loved those movies as well. I was just saying, his acting skill often gets dismissed because he basically made bank off of playing variations of the same character in multiple movies. He did it well, but it's hard to break out of that kind of mold once it's set. I'm glad he's been able to transition into a wider variety of roles. He's tremendously talented.

annie720

Oh, no! ANOTHER Korean film to watch! Everything I'm watching these days has subtitles and they're killing me.

skategal

Bunny mama
I just watched The Dressmaker.

It was so completely different than I thought it would be. :shuffle:

But it was okay watch for a freebie.

I love Kate Winslet, Liam Hemsworth is always a hottie and the dresses were to die for....

VGThuy

I just watched The Dressmaker.

It was so completely different than I thought it would be. :shuffle:

But it was okay watch for a freebie.

I love Kate Winslet, Liam Hemsworth is always a hottie and the dresses were to die for....

Tell me about it! I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what the film turned out to be. :lol: I really enjoyed it though I don't know if I'd watch again.

manhn

I never could get over the idea that Kate and Liam supposed to be childhood friends. Unless Kate’s character was held back in school multiple and multiple times.

But fun. And Liam was really hot in the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information