Tonya Harding at 1989 Worlds

Would Tonya have won a medal at 1989 if she had been there?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VGThuy

Did Kerrigan use the same music in her Lillehammer LP as Trenary in her SP here?

No. All of Kerrigan’s SPs were to original compositions by Mark Militano. I don’t know what all of the pieces were in Jill’s short but the last one was the Calgary Olympic theme, composed by David Foster.

@Erin, @olympic, was asking about Nancy’s LP at Lillehammer. But make sure we don’t call some posters too loudly because I remember a few who absolutely loathed those Militano SPs. And I mean like are truly disgusted by them. Back to the original question, I don’t know many of his songs but I do recognize this one in both Trenary’s SP and Kerrigan’s 1994 LP:

Erin

Banned Member
@Erin, @olympic, was asking about Nancy’s LP at Lillehammer. But make sure we don’t call some posters too loudly because I remember a few who absolutely loathed those Militano SPs. And I mean like are truly disgusted by them. Back to the original question, I don’t know many of his songs but I do recognize this one in both Trenary’s SP and Kerrigan’s 1994 LP:

Thanks, sorry for the bad reading comprehension.

I probably shouldn’t admit that I liked some of the Militano SPs :shuffle:

VGThuy

I actually liked them too. In fact, I thought she did some elements better than Kristi at the 1992 Olympics SP, and felt that SP highlighted her elements well. But it seems unpopular and out-of-style to praise Nancy for anything.

ETA: Re: 1992...Yuka Sato, even with an easier jump combo, should have been at least third in the SP. In fact, if she did a Lutz combo, I would have had her fighting it out with Kristi in the SP. Out of that field, she had by far the best edge quality and imo her skating skills hold up in the field today. Not many top skaters can say that.

Last edited:

all_empty

Skating music nerd here.

You're both right.

Trenary used Neil Diamond's "Headed for the Future" in the middle of her 1989 and 1990 SP:

It was also the middle of Kerrigan's 1994 FS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGT_prx-03Y (Side note: how amazing is this HD video from 25+ years ago?!)

Trenary used David Foster's "Winter Games" at the end of that same SP.

Kerrigan used the Olympic theme in the middle and end of her 1989 and 1990 FS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4p8SJYqVIc (This is a pretty good skate from Nancy! And she used the same intro for 1994, hence the potential confusion)

Here's a Kerrigan SP that's only half Mark Militano. The second half is the end theme from "Space Camp" (which would've made a great program for say, a young Tara Lipinski):

https://youtu.be/ry-YxEKGTLo (One of the few times Nancy opted for the harder 2Lz+3T combo versus a 2T+3T or 3T+2T)

Last edited:

VGThuy

Averbukh should have included the hands over the ears in the flip in Janny's "deaf" program.

Sheer brilliance. Imagine if the volume of the music went low during that moment as well. We’d have some posters waxing poetic about the symbolism of that program.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

This is only tangentially related to the topic of this thread, but since it combines school figures and Charlene Wong, I thought you would enjoy this:

Although I have a sneaking suspicion you aren’t a fan of Toller Cranston, so be warned that you do have to tolerate him in this video.

Toller didn't hold back and certainly called it as he saw it, that's for sure.

Is it any wonder CTV ended up firing him for his on-air observations.

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Although I have a sneaking suspicion you aren’t a fan of Toller Cranston, so be warned that you do have to tolerate him in this video.

Satisfactory skater,appalling commentator. His dismissive view of school figures was sacrilegious,dire, and disastrous.

Averbukh should have included the hands over the ears in the flip in Janny's "deaf" program.

Who is Janny?

-BB

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
Toller didn't hold back and certainly called it as he saw it, that's for sure.

Is it any wonder CTV ended up firing him for his on-air observations.

It was CBC that he worked for and was fired from, not CTV. And it was due to pressure from the CFSA because he was too critical of Canadian skaters - I think the particular incident that put them over the edge was that he was super critical of Kurt Browning at 1990 Worlds. Toller ended up suing CBC and the suit was resolved in his favour.

I’ve been watching a lot of programs with Toller’s commentary lately, and it’s clear that he really doesn’t know anything about skating and how it is judged. But he is often amusing, which is more than I can say for many other commentators. And while he clearly had his biases about what he did and didn’t like, I appreciated the relative lack of national bias, even if that’s what ultimately got him fired.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It was CBC that he worked for and was fired from, not CTV. And it was due to pressure from the CFSA because he was too critical of Canadian skaters - I think the particular incident that put them over the edge was that he was super critical of Kurt Browning at 1990 Worlds. Toller ended up suing CBC and the suit was resolved in his favour.

I’ve been watching a lot of programs with Toller’s commentary lately, and it’s clear that he really doesn’t know anything about skating and how it is judged. But he is often amusing, which is more than I can say for many other commentators. And while he clearly had his biases about what he did and didn’t like, I appreciated the relative lack of national bias, even if that’s what ultimately got him fired.

Sincerest apologies for the error.

As I am not Canadian, I was drawing on a memory from almost 30 years ago, and it was a toss up between the two stations. I should have known, because Debbi Wilkes did commentary for CTV.

Oh well.

Your videos are great, btw. Thank you for everything you have posted.

gkelly

I’ve been watching a lot of programs with Toller’s commentary lately, and it’s clear that he really doesn’t know anything about skating and how it is judged.

I'm sure he knew plenty about skating, how he did what he did when he was training and competing.

But how was judged is a totally different question, one not many skaters had much knowledge of.

manhn

1990 Worlds was when Tracey began commentating. I don’t recall Toller being particularly cruel to a skater, let alone a Canadian skater (he was pretty harsh towards Brasseur in 1989). The dance competition was interesting, Toller preferred the Duschesneys, but Tracey preferred Klimova.

I think those two would have been a great combo, but I am not sure if Toller would want to share the spotlight.

Erin

Banned Member
Your videos are great, btw. Thank you for everything you have posted.

You're welcome! I only feel bad that it's taken me this long to get them up...should have done it ages ago.

1990 Worlds was when Tracey began commentating. I don’t recall Toller being particularly cruel to a skater, let alone a Canadian skater (he was pretty harsh towards Brasseur in 1989).

Kurt addressed Toller's comments about him in his book, referring to it as "the Toller Cranston incident":

"The trouble with Toller began just before Halifax. He was doing colour commentary for the CBC. Exactly what he said got lost in a blaze of subsequent coverage, but the gist of it was that I hadn't trained, that I displayed a sloppy attitude, and that I was given inflated marks for what amounted to a junior program [at 1990 Canadians]. He also criticized my appearance - not at the competition itself, but during an early morning practice session at the Canadians, when I arrived wearing a T-shirt. I think it featured the rock group Motley Crue. I know that, at some point, he used the word 'disgrace.'"

Kurt goes on a bit to talk about how there was a lot of press coverage criticizing Toller's comments and that he didn't care for the "disgrace" comment, but he otherwise found the whole thing pretty entertaining and didn't hold a grudge against Toller. But apparently the CFSA did.

And I agree that the comments about Brasseur were pretty harsh, even if true.

olympic

Yes. Thanks. I recognized the mid-section in both programs as the same. It is where NK did her mini aerobics choreo in Lillehammer

Bellanca

Is Medev Zhenya Sr. or Zhenya Jr.? Good Lord, I hope we don't have another Oksana changing her name to Pasha scandal. :drama: :skandal Go with Janny; no one else has that one - I don't think. 🤔

Seerek

Trenary used Neil Diamond's "Headed for the Future" in the middle of her 1989 and 1990 SP:

Jill had a different dress for 1990

LarrySK8

Tonya was going through a growth period in 1989. Lutz and flip may have been unreliable. Figures shaky at international events. She likely could have been a disaster. Her hair was so big it slowed her rotations.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
First off does she still two foot her triple lutz combo in the short? Keep in mind that is the reason she missed the 89 worlds in the first place as with the figures result (4th for her, 8th for Yamaguchi), beating Yamaguchi in the short she can't possibly miss the team even with Harding's 3rd place in the long program and Kristi's 1st. And that would take her short program placing at the 89 worlds way down too, from a possible 2nd down to probably 6th, considering Kristi's clean short was only 5th at the 89 worlds and she beat Tonya in the short at Nationals due to Tonya two footing the triple lutz combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information