Kostornaia leaves Tutberidze

Hedwig

Antique member
What is the problematic meaning? I dont get it (maybe you have to be a native speaker?)

hanca

Values her privacy
Can any Russian explain this, please. I just read it on Russian forum, and I am not quite sure WTF it means.
‘if fifth man hits you in the face, it is not about the man but the face.’ Apparently it is a folk wisdom.

Does that suggest that being hit by one man (or two men, or three men....) may be the men’s fault (meeting nasty men), but if it happens with too many people, the victim is at fault?

DobrinFan

Plushenko: Kostornaya decided to radically change the team, why - you need to ask her

The coach noted that the skater herself expressed a desire to move to his group two weeks ago.

The European figure skating champion Alena Kostornaya made the decision to radically change the team herself, the athlete is focused only on sports. Two-time Olympic champion Evgeny Plushenko told TASS about this, to whose team Kostornaya decided to move from the group of Eteri Tutberidze.

On Friday, Tutberidze announced the transition of the athlete to the Plushenko group. In this off-season, another student left Tutberidze for Plushenko - the winner of the European Championship Alexandra Trusov.

"Alena herself expressed a desire to join my group two weeks ago, she wanted to skate in" Plushenko's Angels "under my leadership and the guidance of Sergei Rozanov. Before that, we did not even know each other. If she had such thoughts before, then this nothing was known, "Plushenko said." I can't say what didn’t suit her, and whether it didn’t, it would be better to ask her herself, I can only say that she decided to radically change the team. "

"She did not have any specific wishes - she just wanted to train, prepare for the Olympics, she is absolutely geared towards sports. We did not even discuss the financial component of the issue, but if something is needed, I will take everything upon myself - I have the opportunity do it, and I don’t be stingy, ”Plushenko stressed.

"This is a sport, and we, of course, will work with Alena on quadruple jumps. She hasn’t skated for a long time - we will restore everything anew, we will put on new programs. We will change the ones that we have set, definitely - these will be our programs, We will stage with Serezha, and if we need choreographers, we will invite the best. And there are thoughts about these programs - Alena and I have been communicating for two weeks already, and proposals on this matter have already been made to her, and she liked them, "Plushenko said.

When asked by TASS if Plushenko is aware of the responsibility he takes upon himself by taking on the team two of the most promising singles in Russia, he replied: “We are ready for anything, and even if there is some kind of misfire, life is not We have a professional approach to training, to work, now we have a strong team, and with the arrival of Seryozha Rozanov it has definitely strengthened, this is a great professional whom we value, cherish and respect. "

“I understood responsibility when Trusova came to us, when [Veronika] Zhilina came to us. We are not afraid of responsibility, we are ready to work, ready to work, which we do every day. by the fireplace, watching TV, as many others do, "Plushenko stressed.

Alexandra Trusova, who already works at Angels Plushenko, reacted normally to Kostornaya's transition. "Everything is fine, she is ready to train. And the fact that Alena wants to skate on the ice alone is nonsense, she has no problems with this, and today she voiced it to me. From tomorrow Alena starts the training process - the academy has been fully operational for a long time, now more than 120 children train there, so the process starts, we start moving, "Plushenko noted.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Does that suggest that being hit by one man (or two men, or three men....) may be the men’s fault (meeting nasty men), but if it happens with too many people, the victim is at fault?
Yes. (Assuming the man being hit is the victim)

It's similar to this statement: "if everyone around you is the problem, maybe you're the problem"

Why are all of these girls going to Plushenko who hasn't even yet proven he can coach? He seems to busy with his ice shows to even bother to coach. :confused:
They are following the person who was their actual coach for the past couple of years who is now with Plushenko's team. This is actually quite normal in figure skating. When a coach moves to a new training center, some of their students come with them.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes. (Assuming the man being hit is the victim)

It's similar to this statement: "if everyone around you is the problem, maybe you're the problem"

They are following the person who was their actual coach for the past couple of years who is now with Plushenko's team. This is actually quite normal in figure skating. When a coach moves to a new training center, some of their students come with them.
I know the saying ‘if everyone around you is the problem, maybe you're the problem’ and agree with that, but somehow expressing it while adding there domestic violence makes me quite uncomfortable. While I agree that the person (a man or a woman) may drive five different partners completely mad, I feel uncomfortable about anyone being told that maybe they deserved being hit. That’s why I asked about it, because I thought maybe I am misunderstanding it.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
While Tutberidze is human, and humans have favorites, I don't think that's predominant lens to view her through. She is paid by the Federation to produce champions. While you could say she has a formula, and that formula means focusing on the newest skaters coming up out of a seemingly unending pipeline who are the potentially highest point scorers, and looking at the timing within the Olympic cycle in making those calculations, that's what she's paid for. She's not paid to be anyone's mother, although it sounds like she's gone out of her way to help skaters personally, but she's there to focus her professional skills and team resources on the skaters who will perform the best for Russia. I don't see how she's been inconsistent about this, or has expended resources out of line with skaters' results and development, which is what I'd expect from (negative) favoritism, and while I love Medvedeva and never liked Zagitova's skating, it was her professional responsibility to ensure that Russia had a backup #1, especially with Medvedeva injured in the Fall 2017, leading up to the Olympics.

This is no surprise: anyone observing can see this. It's not like the first season of a reality show, where the people in it have no idea how it's going to turn out: this is the Xth season, and everyone can watch seasons 1-[X-1] (2-X).

We look at it from the point of view of the skaters, who might be going through puberty, who've delivered great results in the past, and who are used to be the ones getting the attention, and then they're not. Even Virtue and Moir, who were relative adults when Shpilband and Zoueva split, couldn't get their heads around not being Zoueva's main focus leading up to Sochi, when she had to give more attention to Davis and White, no longer having "dad" to focus on his favorites.

Do I love that kids' worth to their coaches and Federations is based on what they've produced lately, and that it does in their heads? It doesn't really matter what I love or don't.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
My next speculation is that the GP series will be cancelled on 3/8 and Kostornaya's switch is related - she'll have close to 0 chances for price money in that case (assume all 3 would be considered `seeded', at the absolutely worst she would end up with Kihira and Tuktamysheva, i.e. no way she would be below 3rd in 2 GP events)

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
My next speculation is that the GP series will be cancelled on 3/8 and Kostornaya's switch is related - she'll have close to 0 chances for price money in that case (assume all 3 would be considered `seeded', at the absolutely worst she would end up with Kihira and Tuktamysheva, i.e. no way she would be below 3rd in 2 GP events)

So is she putting herself in line for Plushy's shows / tv specials?

Apologies because I know there have been many posts about how $$ works for Eteri's team, but can someone else give me the tl;dr version?

Thanks,

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
It gets better
Anatoly Samokhvalov talks to Evgeni Pluschenko for ria.ru

Samokhvalov: Evgenii, Kostornaya switched to your group right after Trusova. Is it a victory for you or a great responsibility?
Pluschenko: For any coach such athletes are a huge responsibility. As for Trusova and Kostornaya - so they are. And we are ready. My team,, Rozanov, we are all glad the skaters come to us

Samokhvalov: Who initiated the switch?
Pluschenko: Alena herself. 2 weeks ago she said she wants to switch to mine and Rozanov's group and I said `why not if it's your decision. If it's an adult weighted decision we are willing to take you and work with you.

Samokhvalov: So you were not negotiating since May
Pluschenko It's nonsense. I don't know that, Alena contacted me 2 weeks ago.

Samokhvalov: You did not contact her about the switch?
Pluschenko: Of course not. I did not initiate Kostornaya's switch. We were not in contact and haven't even met. I saw Alena on the TV, saw her competing but our passes never crossed.

Samokhvalov: After Trusova's switch you were talking about the upcoming sensations.
Pluschenko: I say now there will be more sensations

Samokhvalov: After Kostornaya's switch?
Pluschenko: Of course. Back then I meant that more great (female) skaters will come to us.

Samokhvalov: So what sensations should we expect now? Seems we're done?
Pluschenko: There are a lot who want to come.

Samokhvalov: Speaking of the skaters whose switch would be a sensation they can be counted on one hand
Pluschenko :These skaters.

Samokhvalov: Scerbakova, Zagitova, Medvedeva. That's it
Pluschenko: That's not enough? Or you want 20 people to switch so then it will be a sensation? My school doors are always open. We are open for a dialog and willing to work with any athlete.

Samokhvalov: So those who I mentioned someone might switch to you?
PLuschenko: Perhaps, but there will be sensations, it's just a beginning. There are lots of great athletes in the world of figure skating.

Samokhvalov: Not that many
Pluschenko: I think there are. And am not talking about the foreign skaters.

Samokhvalov: Tutberidze wrote in the instagram: `Now we received from Alena a whole list of girls she does not want to share the ice with'. I.e. there are girls who Kostornaya did not want to train with.
Pluschenko: It's nonsense, she is willing to train with everyone. She has no problem working with whoever, she is positive about all the skaters. She understand the sparring partners are needed and she is willing to share the ice with anyone.

Samokhvalov: Will Kostornaya and Trusova share the ice?
Pluschenko: I think it's ther ight thing. See, we have a possibility to skate on the different rinks - I have enough ice. We'll analyse the situation because for now we haven't started working yet. We'll see whether we, coaches, have time to work with them. If we will not - we'll divide them. If we'll have to - we'll combine. We are very flexible.

Samokhvalov: How will they share Rozanov?
Pluschenko: you are talking bullshit. Rozanov is coaching and coached many athletes, all was fine. Mishin is coaching Tuktamysheva, Samodurova and now KOlyada on the same ice.

Samokhvalov: So Trusova did not demand coming to you with Rozanov who will be working with the little kids, but she would be hte only senior he'll work with?
Pluschenko: there were no such demands

Samokhvalov: Did Alena tell why does she switch to you?
Pluschenko: She wanted the changes, she sees we are a good team, she wants to develop, learn the quads, she wants beautiful and interesting programes. She wants to change the team completely. It's the Russian attitude to the switches as if something unreal had happened. It's a normal situation. It means Alena was not able working there, she was not happy about something. Perhaps the attitude. I wouldn't want to blow it out of the proportions. The athlete made a decision to switch - go ahead. The Federation is not against, the parents are not against, Alena agrees, it's her idea. We supported her idea and plan to move on.

Samokhvalov: Will she gain financially from the switch?
Pluschenko: How are the finances related? Was she receiving anything there? We didn't even discuss the finances. Her goal is the sport.

Samokhvalov: So you were not discussing her being sponsored, participating the new shows?
Pluschenko: Not at all. I'll repeat - her goal is the sport. THe Olympics.

Samokhvalov: She already has the programmes. Will you change them?
Pluschenko: 100%. Of course we will and use our own. What I saw on the instagram out of her recent programmes is a horror. Alena hated it, she said so herself

Samokhvalov: Wow. But her coach choreographer Gleikhengauz said she was enjoyng the programmes so much
Pluschenko: Perhaps that's what Gleigkhengauz would like to happen, but the athlete says the opposite

Last edited:

jenny12

I’m all for people moving out of situations where they are unhappy. I just don’t get why you’d go to Plushenko if you wanted to have beautiful programs. Anyway, I wish Alena luck. She is my favorite and I hope this decision brings her success and happiness. And please Plushenko, bring her the beautiful programs she wants and prove me wrong.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Pluschenko: 100%. Of course we will and use our own. What I saw on the instagram out of her recent programmes is a horror. Alena hated it, she said so herself

Samokhvalov: Wow. But her coach choreographer Gleikhengauz said she was enjoyng the programmes so much
Pluschenko: Perhaps that's what Gleigkhengauz would like to happen, but the athlete says the opposite

:rofl: :rofl:

This is epic. :respec:

I really think TSL was right: Gleikhengauz choreographs what he likes and indirectly for himself, not to his skater's strengths. It was clear in that instagram clip he was performing the hell out of that choreography.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Mishin is coaching Tuktamysheva, Samodurova and now KOlyada on the same ice.
Kolyada moved to Mishin? :eek: Wow. I mean, I think he probably needed a change to shake things up, but he and his prior coach seemed to have a really good relationship.

Sylvia

TBD

Willin

So is she putting herself in line for Plushy's shows / tv specials?

Apologies because I know there have been many posts about how $$ works for Eteri's team, but can someone else give me the tl;dr version?

Thanks,
Idk if she wants to be in the specials. She's said in the past that she wants to leave skating for more academic pursuits after the next Olympics.

In Russia coaches control the flow of money to the skater, including endorsement deals. That means she can to some extent pick and choose who gets what endorsements, and supposedly she gave her other skaters endorsement opportunities while she left Alena with none. Meaning the other skaters got that sweet, sweet endorsement money while Alena got nothing.

He's not wrong... :slinkaway

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information