Catching up with Evan Lysacek on the 10th anniversary of his Olympic Gold

analia

Lysacek is a baffling person and skater. These well-crafted supremely expensive PR articles can't even give him any personality and you wonder why they bothered to plug these stories at all. Such is what baffles me about people who run in the "society" circle I suppose.

What annoys me about Lysacek was that Frank Carroll packaged Gracie literally the same way because the Lysacek project worked. But the Lysacek project could only work because he didn't have an ounce of original quality as a person.

Carolla5501

I though Evan was a very good, smart skater who rightfully won his Olympic gold medal. I wouldn't say he was a charismatic skater. To me he looked like he was concentrating so much that his focus was not necessarily projecting to the audience. But his life has turned out very well and I know he's worked hard for his success.

I think Evan was one you had to see in person. I always found him to be much more charismatic in person than I did on television

VGThuy

Lysacek is a baffling person and skater. These well-crafted supremely expensive PR articles can't even give him any personality and you wonder why they bothered to plug these stories at all. Such is what baffles me about people who run in the "society" circle I suppose.

What annoys me about Lysacek was that Frank Carroll packaged Gracie literally the same way because the Lysacek project worked. But the Lysacek project could only work because he didn't have an ounce of original quality as a person.

I think people fall into the trap of projecting things onto people as if they know them. I’m sure Evan is a real person with complexities like everyone else.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Evan can not be confused with being charismatic. But he is earnest, hardworking and appealing in his own right, despite the put-downs. He never drew me in with his skating, but it's clear how hard he worked and how much he enjoyed competing and trying to improve.

His stint on Dancing with the Stars was a lot of fun to watch. He almost seemed to become a better dancer and mover with a partner on the ballroom floor than he was a singles skater!

skylark

I really enjoyed catching up with Evan via this article. I always found his skating compelling, from the heart, and passionate. It always seemed to me that even the music practically came from inside him, because he believed it and felt it.

Also, Evan was one of the most gracious winners of the OGM, in response to some extremely uncivil comments and actions from others, even though he was hurt by them. Evan was a great competitor, which is shown by his record; and part of being a great competitor in my opinion is to be a good sport. Evan went one further; he responded with courtesy and compassion.

I'm beyond happy for Evan in his current happiness, which is well deserved. Soon after winning the Olympics, he said he wanted to find a life that he could pour all his passion into. It seems that he's found that with Dang, and with their shared occupation. I also loved the detail of how he reconnected with Dang soon after Denis Ten's death, which had prompted him to reach out and say how much loved ones meant to him.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I always found his skating compelling, from the heart, and passionate. It always seemed to me that even the music practically came from inside him, because he believed it and felt it.

I found Evan's skating style sometimes a bit frenetic and over-dramatic. Still, ITA that Evan was very passionate about his skating, he fully believed in every move, and his determination came from deep inside.

Marco

When playing the judging game for 2010 Olympic men's event, I found new respect for Lysacek. I never appreciated his style, but he did the best he could given his tall build and technical limitations. The 3axel skid was horrid but his jump landings were glorious. His spins were fast and his positions were tight even though his legs were so long.

He managed to win because the better skaters and the harder jumpers didn't deliver. In that sense he won fair and square, even though I don't view him to be of Olympic Champion calibre within that quad or even at that competition.

UGG

I always thought it was stupid that people were “mad” Evan won. He wanted the OGM just like everyone else and implemented the best strategy for himself. It’s not his fault Plush decided to phone in his long program with the assumption that he was so great, that strategy would not hurt him. Even did all he was capable, Plush did below the bare minimum and still won silver. He has no one to blame but himself.

Evan was also a multiple US champ and reigning world champ so it’s not like he was some sort of Sarah Hughes.

Finally, I often wonder if Jonny Weir has won the Olympics quadless if he would have received the same backlash here. I really doubt it.

feraina

that's bc johnny has charisma and style and didn't fake bake and really is the face of the sport now. sorry to say it but johnny will leave a much greater legacy than lysacek ever will.
That’s interesting, because I was such a fan of Johnny weir when he was skating and was so annoyed with all the criticism he got — but now that we’ve seen him commentating for a few years, I’m really not that keen on him anymore. I liked him better, it turns out, when his skating did all the talking. As for legacy, most diehard fans don’t care for his commentary. Is there any well known, memorable Program people watch over and over where he did the commentating? I’m thinking of for example Jason brown’s river dance program commentated by Scott Hamilton. Or many programs with Dick Button. Or Tat.

I also don’t feel like he didn’t fulfill his potential, because although he had a great feel for music and a beautiful 3A, he was quite limited in terms of skating skills, which are much more valued under IJS than 6.0. He had many natural talents but not in skating skills. Evan wasn’t naturally talented in SS either (like Chan or Takahashi) but he really worked hard for it. Weir also often couldn’t nail the jumps. Contrary to certain people’s opinions, IJS values quads and well landed triples a great deal, and Weir often messed them up.

Anyway, I have much more appreciation for Evan as a skater now than in 2010.

Japanfan

Finally, I often wonder if Jonny Weir has won the Olympics quadless if he would have received the same backlash here. I really doubt it.

IDK. I think there would still have been the same outrage that a quadless program won the Olympics.

However, I for one would have been more satisfied with the result, because I love Johnny's skating. It's far more beautiful than Evan's.

Evan is a strong and consistent competitor, but his skating has never been distinctive or moving to me.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
As for legacy, most diehard fans don’t care for his commentary. Is there any well known, memorable Program people watch over and over where he did the commentating?

Johnny did an excellent job with color commentary for IceNetwork's U.S. men's coverage in 2012, which I doubt is readily available, although some individual men's performances from that year might still be on YouTube. Johnny was so good, he received wide praise in the skating community, which led to additional work. He eventually connected with Tara for an announcing gig, and they got noticed, and their friendship grew. Eventually, their 2014 Olympics secondary commentating opportunity happened. And the rest is history.

I've always felt Johnny is able to do better commentary on figure skating without Tara. But they do a great job together covering non-figure skating sports events.

ETA:
I think there would still have been the same outrage that a quadless program won the Olympics.

Probably, although Plushy may have not thrown as big a tantrum (as he did when Evan won). Plushy and Johnny liked and respected each other. Still, I can't see any scenario in which Johnny was going to win a Gold medal at the 2010 Olympics. Apparently, it wasn't even in the cards for him to get close to the podium! Johnny skated well, and he should have arguably placed at least 4th.

The U.S. federation would have been happy not even sending Johnny to the Olympics, but he earned the opportunity so they had to give him the marks that placed him in third at U.S. Nationals. Meanwhile, Johnny arguably skated better than Lysacek, especially in the sp at U.S. Nationals. Jeremy Abbott peaked at that Nationals with two of his finest performances, but then he faltered in the sp at the Olympics, sadly. Evan was always favored by U.S. fed, and he came prepared to do battle at the Olympics, without a quad, which at the time he didn't need.

Last edited:

lala

I always thought Weir should have benefited more from IJS. But the truth is he didn't deliver... he seemed more caught up in "being Johnny Weir" then making sure he was maximizing his points.

As for Plushy, sorry that pelvic thrusting isn't a recognized skating skill. Plushy thought that his "sex appeal" would make up for the fact that his program was empty. Too bad, so sad! But it gives CaseyEdwards something to look foolish over LOL!

Are you joking? Do you really thinks Evan had better skating skills? Or is he a better skater in general? Your opinion was spreaded by only American's and in Americans news. Plushenko has decent skating skills (not the best, no one said it but) and that was obivous for everyone except for the North-Am people and for the judges who really wanted to Evan win. They could make his points lower with SS marks. He was 24th in SS..Do you think that is real? How could he forget to skate? LOL!
I'm sure Evan couldn't handle Plushenko's programs but Plushenko could skate Evan's easily!!

Plus he is not artistry according to the American media..the Americans wrote it everywhere! I liked how they forgot about Plushenko's 75 60.s! in his career! He reached most of them in international competitions... But who cares about it? They needed to defend Evan's victory. Many Americans in the debates believed Evan win with his artistry..When we, Plush defenders wrote them no..no..he won with tech marks they were really surprised!
Remember his exhibition programs at Vancouver! Plushy was the boss!

And we agree his choreography wasn't the best but that is not his fault. Throughout his career he did what Mr. Mishin said to him.

I didn't want to post in this thread I'm in peace with the result now, Evan is nice, :) I just can't stand if anybody writes nonsences.

You don't forget thanks to the scandal wich was made by him, his team and his fans! The ISU has changed the rules in June of 2010 thus could start the new quad era! :respec:

Last edited:

VGThuy

I think at that point in time in their careers with the vehicles they chose, Evan showed more skating skills and artistry only because he actually had a real program that went across the rink and demanded he show some transitions and choreography. Plushenko may be a better skater on paper and may have been a better skater prior, but that LP didn’t show him utilizing the skills he may have had. Same thing with Weir but to a lesser extent.

As I grow older and see people get bamboozeled with personalities and charisma over substance, I find myself liking Evan more because he did the work to maximize his potential while the fans criticized everything about him, including his sexuality and personal life. It’s like real life when the ones doing the hard work get ignored while the ones the bosses like get the best assignments and then promotions and that’s why people tend to have managers they hate because there’s no IJS rubric to follow. We see it in all facets of life, including political elections. The funny thing is that of course Weir is brought up. He’s always brought up when Evan has a thread or an article. The truth is by the end, Weir wasn’t his competiton anymore and those fans who loved him for his realness (even if it was unnecessary and cruel), his “fabulousness”, and his perceived victimization (many of it real as I’m sure he had to face rampant homophobia) ended up participating in the same behavior towards Evan the way they felt Weir received (to the point it became conspiracy theory level).

Japanfan

Plushenko may be a better skater on paper and may have been a better skater prior, but that LP didn’t show him utilizing the skills he may have had. Same thing with Weir but to a lesser extent.

Plushenko did not bring his A game to 2010. In my view he was riding on reputation. I think he thought the gold medal should be his because of who he was, and probably did not see Evan as competition. He indicated his sense of entitlement when he briefly stepped on the top podium step, as if it belonged to him.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Plushenko did not bring his A game to 2010. In my view he was rising on reputation. I think he thought the gold medal should be his because of who he was, and probably did not see Evan as competition. He indicated his sense of entitlement when he briefly stepped on the top podium stop, as if it belonged to him.

I remember that, and after the Olympics, Plushenko said in his blog (website?) that he’s proud of his “platinum” medal 🤣

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I remember reading somewhere that TPTB had pretty much promised him gold, so I imagine he did feel entitled and it must have been a shock when it didn't turn out the way he expected. IMO he was held up big time, and shouldn't have even been on the podium.

Marco

Plushenko did not bring his A game to 2010.

But even so he was just a hair away from gold, and he would have too if he had just 1) done a 3 jump combo which ironically was popularized by him; 2) backloaded more - Lysacek backloaded 5 vs his 3; or 3) done a 3flip instead of a 2axel.

I think it is probably more appropriate to describe the situation as Plushenko losing the gold, more than Lysacek winning it.

Japanfan

But even so he was just a hair away from gold, and he would have too if he had just 1) done a 3 jump combo which ironically was popularized by him; 2) backloaded more - Lysacek backloaded 5 vs his 3; or 3) done a 3flip instead of a 2axel.

I think it is probably more appropriate to describe the situation as Plushenko losing the gold, more than Lysacek winning it.

I agree, but as you say, he did it to himself. And as I indicated previously, I think that because the gold was his and all he needed to do was dial it in - rather than actually perform to win it.

VGThuy

I think that's a very compelling point and fair way to look at it. The way I choose to see it though, it's that Plushenko didn't execute the elements to close the gap and Evan won it based on him completing his planned content. Evan could have easily fell, doubled, URed, not maximize levels, etc. But what he executed was enough to win the competition as it took place then and there. Plushenko could have fell on his 3-jump combo, 3 flip, not been able to execute 2 more jumps after the halfway mark, etc. Was that likely? Probably not, but for whatever reason, Plushenko chose not to do any of those things.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Plushenko could have fell on his 3-jump combo, 3 flip, not been able to execute 2 more jumps after the halfway mark, etc. Was that likely? Probably not, but for whatever reason, Plushenko chose not to do any of those things.
I wonder if he already was too injured to do those things.

Marco

In any event, a lot of his jumps in the free skate esp the harder jumps were not landed with the usual ease that he would normally display. The GOEs already took a hit and probably contributed to him not being able to tag a 2loop.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think at that point in time in their careers with the vehicles they chose, Evan showed more skating skills and artistry only because he actually had a real program that went across the rink and demanded he show some transitions and choreography. Plushenko may be a better skater on paper and may have been a better skater prior, but that LP didn’t show him utilizing the skills he may have had. Same thing with Weir but to a lesser extent.

As I grow older and see people get bamboozeled with personalities and charisma over substance, I find myself liking Evan more because he did the work to maximize his potential while the fans criticized everything about him, including his sexuality and personal life. It’s like real life when the ones doing the hard work get ignored while the ones the bosses like get the best assignments and then promotions and that’s why people tend to have managers they hate because there’s no IJS rubric to follow. We see it in all facets of life, including political elections. The funny thing is that of course Weir is brought up. He’s always brought up when Evan has a thread or an article. The truth is by the end, Weir wasn’t his competiton anymore and those fans who loved him for his realness (even if it was unnecessary and cruel), his “fabulousness”, and his perceived victimization (many of it real as I’m sure he had to face rampant homophobia) ended up participating in the same behavior towards Evan the way they felt Weir received (to the point it became conspiracy theory level).

Ah, everyone has their odd opinions and 'conspiracy theories' surrounding Evan & Johnny and their 'made-up' rivalry, which is what complicated their public interaction in the first place. Bottom line is that although they were never close, they grew up competing against each other and respecting each other, until their 'respectful' competitive rivalry was made to turn into something else. The resulting instances of conflicts between them were due to a whole combination of outside factors and perceptions having very little to do with either one of them.

By this point, they've made up and moved on, even if they haven't sealed it with a kiss. Neither of them are likely at all interested in what any fans on FSU have had to say about them now or in years past. :drama:

skylark

Scott Hamilton chatted with Evan for an hour on Friday, June 5, 2020 (uploaded on June 21):

This talk/interview with Evan Lysacek has a slow start (talking about his wife and their activities), but when Scott gets down to the real subject 10 minutes in, Evan's skating career, it's like a slow burn that gets better and brighter as it goes, piling on layers of meaning. Evan is the same quiet-spoken gentleman as ever; he gives everyone else credit and praise whenever he has a chance; he's full of admiration for Plushenko and his other competitors, so many of whom were already World Champions coming into the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

There's also a play-by-play of his high/low experience of being so sick (flu or virus) at the Torino 2006 Olympics and going ahead and competing the FS, when he might have withdrawn. There are interesting stories about both Evan's Olympic experiences that I'd never heard him relate before. Very cool.

lala

I remember that, and after the Olympics, Plushenko said in his blog (website?) that he’s proud of his “platinum” medal 🤣

No. He didn't say it maybe you missed the true story. The pic of platinum medal was visible on his official site's home page for cca one day. Everybody needs to know Plushy never wrote a post on his website personally. The page had admins who were fans! Only at the page's start was an official admin but some months later he left the job to the fan admins, some Russians and one Serbian who became the main admin for years! (RIP dear Cekoni!)
After the final result many persons were outraged by it and Plushenko fans started the fight everywhere. Plushenko's wife said one gold ( Turin)+one silver( SLC)= platinum ! The fans started to use it! Everywhere! In that vibe one of the admins put the platinum medal's pic on the home page. The scandal was ready. This is the true story I was a witness, you can believe me. Plushenko learned of it from the media. He was in Vancouver he promoted the Sochi OG because he was one of the ambassadors. He and his agent Ari Zakarian issued a statement explaining the case, but no one was interested in it at the time. Especially the Americans. ;)

Last edited:

sap5

No. He didn't say it maybe you missed the true story. The pic of platinum medal was visible on his official site's home page for cca one day. Everybody needs to know Plushy never wrote a post on his website personally. The page had admins who were fans! Only at the page's start was an official admin but some months later he left the job to the fan admins, some Russians and one Serbian who became the main admin for years! (RIP dear Cekoni!)
After the final result many persons were outraged by it and Plushenko fans started the fight everywhere. Plushenko's wife said one gold ( Turin)+one silver( SLC)= platinum ! The fans started to use it! Everywhere! In that vibe one of the admins put the platinum medal's pic on the home page. The scandal was ready. This is the true story I was a witness, you can believe me. Plushenko learned of it from the media. He was in Vancouver he promoted the Sochi OG because he was one of the ambassadors. He and his agent Ari Zakarian issued a statement explaining the case, but no one was interested in it at the time. Especially the Americans. ;)

Glad you posted this. The way that stories get spread around as fact is really sad.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

This is not even remotely close to being correct, and the fact that it's still getting passed around is testament to how much the US sports press wanted their All American Boy to beat the Evil Communist Russian. (And if you don't believe that was a thing, I advise you to go watch NBC's fluff pieces again. They literally intercut Plushenko's interview with communist symbols.)

It was his wife who made a joke to the press that "if Lysacek's performance was gold, Plushenko's was platinum!" Evidently not meant to be taken seriously. But the press took it and ran with it, attributing the quote incorrectly to Plushenko himself. His official website is run by fans, and they loved it so much it was them who put the "platinum" on his site. Plushenko had no idea it had been done until he started getting harassed by the press about it, at which point he was horrified and asked for it to be taken down.

I suspect it was a high possibility. Remember also that he wasn't as well trained; he was older, and started his comeback late, and had just one Grand Prix, one Russian Nationals, and one Euros ahead of the Olympics. You could consider that his fault, but it may be that he planned it but simply didn't have the stamina to execute it. Of course, it also came out afterwards that he was starving himself to get to his "ideal weight", which...doesn't help at any point. (If you look at the way the FS costume fit at Euros and then at the Olympics you can tell.)

Having recently gone back through the programs with a very critical eye (on everyone, I might add), I find that the narrative that was spun afterwards - that Lysacek was flawless and perfect and every one of Plushenko's jumps was wonky - is quite inverted. In truth, Lysacek was not at all flawless and had quite a few nervous landings; Plushenko actually had a lot of very good jump landings with only a couple of off-kilter ones. They were really quite evenly matched, and Lysacek's program wasn't exactly jam-packed with transitions, like Takahashi's.

I still think one of the biggest disgraces in the leadup to Vancouver that is not really discussed is Joe Inman's email. All I will say is, if a Russian judge had emailed the Olympic judges and ordered them to mark down an American skater, we'd still be hearing about it at the tops of their voices. There seems to be a lot less concern than an American judge did it regarding a Russian skater - whose main rival was American.

That said, I have lots of respect for Lysacek; he worked his tail off for that moment, never losing sight of his goal and putting in all the effort while having crap flung at him from every direction and not being the most popular skater. No-one was giving him flower crowns or faberge eggs, but he was the one who walked away with the biggest prize of all, and in the end - he did deserve it. I still think Plushenko should have won, but Lysacek was a very worthy winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information