Catching up with Evan Lysacek on the 10th anniversary of his Olympic Gold

aftershocks

Banned Member
I always thought Weir should have benefited more from IJS. But the truth is he didn't deliver... he seemed more caught up in "being Johnny Weir" then making sure he was maximizing his points.

As for Plushy, sorry that pelvic thrusting isn't a recognized skating skill. Plushy thought that his "sex appeal" would make up for the fact that his program was empty. Too bad, so sad! ...

Eh, don't be so hard on Plushy and Johnny. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iln8GU0G3Sc The 'complete skater' 2004 TEB sp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywEqDwRACSI 2004 TEB fp "so talented, the program is beneath Weir," but it inspired Yuzuru Hanyu -- those scores were great in the early days of IJS/CoP :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3frkW4f7ok 2006 Olympics sp "A genius, no doubt about it. A flawed genius, no doubt about that too."

Johnny inspired fs fans and an entire generation of men skaters, especially his contemporaries which include Evan Lysacek, and later of course, the young Hanyu

As well, Hanyu was inspired by Plushenko, at his best. We wouldn't have the Hanyu that exists today without Johnny and Plushy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nSfTiaWZg0 2000-2001 GPF first round sp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29DHIrWj-8 2003 fp Worlds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YuBm8uX3TY 2003 sp Worlds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6J_PDR21aE 2006 fp Euros

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I saw Evan at Skate America in Atlantic City (@Garden Kitty I remember that rainy night too, mostly because I got soaked while sightseeing :lol:) and then in Everett two years later. I was astounded at the difference in Evan's skating. I was never a huge fan of his, but I genuinely admire how he really put in the work to improve his skating and his interpretation/presentation.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
if he had spent even 25% of the time he gave to his ego and getting attention for everything but skating to actually practicing and working hard, the outcomes in 2006 and 2010 could have been very different.

It wasn't Johnny's ego though. He was distracted by outside interests, and frustrated by having to fight to be his own person and skater within the sport. He often rubbed authorities the wrong way with cheeky rebellion, which was his go-to way of fighting back. And then too, although Johnny did work hard, he didn't actually enjoy training and to be perfectly honest, Johnny deep down didn't always believe in his talent the way he needed to in order to fully apply himself and to be more competitive in tight situations. It was TAT who made an important difference in Johnny's self-belief at a crucial early stage of his career.

After his troubles in the fp at the 2006 Olympics and the subsequent death threats he received, Johnny nearly decided to quit. His Russian friends were supportive of him during that time. Marina Anissina encouraged Johnny to continue and had the idea for Johnny's 2006-2007 fp (which unfortunately Johnny ended up hating). Johnny's sp that year was fun, but it was also an attempt by those closest to him to 'macho up' his skating. That was the wrong approach to take, and is probably one of the reasons why Johnny struggled that year, chiefly with his fp, and he was out of sorts by U.S. Nationals. His infamous Blackbook modeling stint in fall 2006 did not endear Johnny to U.S. fed authorities and judges either. Johnny should have won U.S. Nationals in 2008, especially with Evan being injured and not performing to his capabilities. The fact the judges made up an excuse to tie Evan and Johnny in the fp with the overall marks giving Evan the win, was simply a crock. At least, Johnny performed extremely well at 2008 Worlds and he might have won, except for a rejuvenated Jeffrey Buttle who had figured out the 3-axel with help from Raf Arutunian. (Evan did not compete due to his injury).

Johnny's later years were definitely a battle with himself. Once he made the decision to leave Priscilla, it was even more of a struggle for Johnny to fully live up to his potential. His new coach unnecessarily frittered with his jump technique, and Johnny's focus lagged. In any case, it was a victory for Johnny just to make the 2010 Olympics, since by then U.S. fed felt Johnny was expendable and would have sent Ryan Bradley in Johnny's stead had Johnny not performed at such a high level, he couldn't be denied a place on the Olympic team.

So 2007 was the year Evan won his first U.S. National championships landing a quad/triple combo, which most people forget he that he landed. Evan competed a quad internationally as well, but by the time of the 2010 Olympics, the smart strategy was to not go for quads. The scoring value did not exist at that time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI9JR3UWlSY Evan's 2007 fp U.S. Nats -- the camera keeps finding Tanith, his g'friend at the time ;)

Last edited:

caseyedwards

I always thought Weir should have benefited more from IJS. But the truth is he didn't deliver... he seemed more caught up in "being Johnny Weir" then making sure he was maximizing his points.

As for Plushy, sorry that pelvic thrusting isn't a recognized skating skill. Plushy thought that his "sex appeal" would make up for the fact that his program was empty. Too bad, so sad! But it gives CaseyEdwards something to look foolish over LOL!

It wasn’t empty. Just because someone doesn’t fill every second with nonsense meaningless moves doesn’t mean a program is empty. But In many ways that is 6.0 thinking. I mean Russians have taken over ladies with lots of endless meaningless nonsense moves for no reason and backloading which describes Zagitova win in 2018. Yes I absolutely prefer some well done pelvic thrusting lol than squats lunges every two seconds!!! Lol lol I totally agree Plushenko should have studied buttle and chan and lysacek but he didn’t. And I don’t believe he really should have and he still should have won 9-0 lol

caseyedwards

It wasn't Johnny's ego though. He was distracted by outside interests, and frustrated by having to fight to be his own person and skater within the sport. He often rubbed authorities the wrong way with cheeky rebellion, which was his go-to way of fighting back. And then too, although Johnny did work hard, he didn't actually enjoy training and to be perfectly honest, Johnny deep down didn't always believe in his talent the way he needed to in order to fully apply himself and to be more competitive in tight situations. It was TAT who made an important difference in Johnny's self-belief at a crucial early stage of his career.

After his troubles in the fp at the 2006 Olympics and the subsequent death threats he received, Johnny nearly decided to quit. His Russian friends were supportive of him during that time. Marina Anissina encouraged Johnny to continue and had the idea for Johnny's 2006-2007 fp (which unfortunately Johnny ended up hating). Johnny's sp that year was fun, but it was also an attempt by those closest to him to 'macho up' his skating. That was the wrong approach to take, and is probably one of the reasons why Johnny struggled that year, chiefly with his fp, and he was out of sorts by U.S. Nationals. His infamous Blackbook modeling stint in fall 2006 did not endear Johnny to U.S. fed authorities and judges either. Johnny should have won U.S. Nationals in 2008, especially with Evan being injured and not performing to his capabilities. The fact the judges made up an excuse to tie Evan and Johnny in the fp with the overall marks giving Evan the win, was simply a crock. At least, Johnny performed extremely well at 2008 Worlds and he might have won, except for a rejuvenated Jeffrey Buttle who had figured out the 3-axel with help from Raf Arutunian. (Evan did not compete due to his injury).

Johnny's later years were definitely a battle with himself. Once he made the decision to leave Priscilla, it was even more of a struggle for Johnny to fully live up to his potential. His new coach unnecessarily frittered with his jump technique, and Johnny's focus lagged. In any case, it was a victory for Johnny just to make the 2010 Olympics, since by then U.S. fed felt Johnny was expendable and would have sent Ryan Bradley in Johnny's stead had Johnny not performed at such a high level, he couldn't be denied a place on the Olympic team.

So 2007 was the year Evan won his first U.S. National championships landing a quad/triple combo, which most people forget he that he landed. Evan competed a quad internationally as well, but by the time of the 2010 Olympics, the smart strategy was to not go for quads. The scoring value did not exist at that time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI9JR3UWlSY Evan's 2007 fp U.S. Nats -- the camera keeps finding Tanith, his g'friend at the time ;)
Of course his last successful quad was 4cc 2009 which he lost to Chan and after that he never did a quad internationally again!!!

VGThuy

It wasn’t empty. Just because someone doesn’t fill every second with nonsense meaningless moves doesn’t mean a program is empty. But In many ways that is 6.0 thinking. I mean Russians have taken over ladies with lots of endless meaningless nonsense moves for no reason and backloading which describes Zagitova win in 2018. Yes I absolutely prefer some well done pelvic thrusting lol than squats lunges every two seconds!!! Lol lol I totally agree Plushenko should have studied buttle and chan and lysacek but he didn’t. And I don’t believe he really should have and he still should have won 9-0 lol

Even with 6.0 standards, his program was pretty empty. His penchant for posing towards the middle axis and paying attention only to the judge's side was still there. Remember, even under 6.0 when he had competition with skaters on his level, his programs were critiqued because of that. It's when he was top dog with no real competitors who displayed better skating skills was he lone wolf when it came to presentation scores.

caseyedwards

Even with 6.0 standards, his program was pretty empty. His penchant for posing towards the middle axis and paying attention only to the judge's side was still there.
No way! He clearly did more than stuff than was per usual under 6.0 and more than say he did in 2002 of course that seemingly because of all requirements for levels in spins and step sequences while his Choreo was definitely present if not as good as something like najinski

aftershocks

Banned Member
Of course his last successful quad was 4cc 2009 which he lost to Chan and after that he never did a quad internationally again!!!

Well, maybe Evan didn't have to bother with those, at that time, risky and undervalued quads after he won the World championships in 2009. :D

caseyedwards

Well, maybe Evan didn't have to bother with those, at that time, risky and undervalued quads after he won the World championships in 2009. :D
He did them he lost to Chan a month later he didn’t he beat Chan! It wasn’t just him. It was lots. Men who Abandoned quads in 2009-2010 included oda a main contender in GP season. All the rising newcomers that season never did them. The writing was clearly on the wall. Doing a quad was totally wrong in every way but some felt they had to do it! One was lambiel who didn’t have a triple axel so he’s the only one who really needed to do quads. Everyone else would have been better served not doing them

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It wasn't Johnny's ego though. He was distracted by outside interests, and frustrated by having to fight to be his own person and skater within the sport. He often rubbed authorities the wrong way with cheeky rebellion, which was his go-to way of fighting back.

You forgot to mention throwing tantrums and faking injury when he didn't get his way.

It was his ego.

Funny, back in 2010 when I didn't know anything I liked Weir and hated Lysacek. Now I'm smarter and I admire Lysacek and hate Weir - and still think Plushenko should have won on the strength of his short program (I have no problem with Lysacek winning the free).

caseyedwards

Weir abandoned all attempts to do quads and still chose 4/4 over 3/5! Bizarre! Russian coach? Stamina issues?

Carolla5501

Don't forget the "TV show" LOL! I think that really hurt Johnny. He was very impressed with "being on TV" but the image it left was questionable. I recall one really telling episode where he tells TAT he's going to do exactly what she says and then turns around and books an exhibition program because his "agent" (who was also more into "I am on TV" then what was good for her clients) wanted him too.

Sadly, judges are human and see your trash if you put it on public display :)

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
No way! He clearly did more than stuff than was per usual under 6.0 and more than say he did in 2002 of course that seemingly because of all requirements for levels in spins and step sequences while his Choreo was definitely present if not as good as something like najinski

Gosh, he sure did! He actually started doing more 'stuff' in 2001 like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHR0qjr79fQ

That really made him appear to be a 'more serious skater'! … about his ego that is! Whoop!!! :rofl: :lol::rollin:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Evan and his team worked to maximize his points under the 2010 IJS and he benefited even without a quad. And despite other "opinions," he was smart, unlike his opponent who arrogantly thought his quad was all that mattered and skated a 2006 program in 2010 and paid for it.

Evan was never my favorite, but I remember seeing him live at Skate America. When he hit things, it was beautiful, high quality. He used those GOEs to his advantage, like those beautiful rideouts when he landed jumps. His skating also had much more energy live than came across on TV, I'm certain being in the arena in Vancouver would leave no doubt of his gold medal.

Not only did Plushy not follow the times with the skills needed in 2010, afair he was not as confident with his jumping as he was in 2006, where he left no doubts.

caseyedwards

Evan was never my favorite, but I remember seeing him live at Skate America. When he hit things, it was beautiful, high quality. He used those GOEs to his advantage, like those beautiful rideouts when he landed jumps. His skating also had much more energy live than came across on TV, I'm certain being in the arena in Vancouver would leave no doubt of his gold medal.

Not only did Plushy not follow the times with the skills needed in 2010, afair he was not as confident with his jumping as he was in 2006, where he left no doubts.
Plushenko doubled a jump in 2006 Olympic FS and he doubled no jumps in 2010. Plushenko was better at jumps in 2010 than 2006!! In fact in 2006 Plushenko almost fell after the triple toe in his quad triple in the SP not to mention the double in the FS.

plushenko maximized most spin levels but not step levels as it was extremely rare to maximize spin level to 4

Gosh, he sure did! He actually started doing more 'stuff' in 2001 like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHR0qjr79fQ

That really made him appear to be a 'more serious skater'! … about his ego that is! Whoop!!! :rofl: :lol::rollin:

It’s funny what’s the problem

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance

OMG, Plushy's jumps in the 2010 Olympic long program!!! As Scott Hamilton said, he was a "cat" for landing some of them. He was tilted so far over in the air for his first triple axel that I still remain amazed he saved it. He may have been the better skater overall, but that program was fairly ugly aside from the damned quad. And sorry, the judges look at more than one jump.

And @aftershocks - Johnny wasn't the only male skater in the US who had "fought to be his own person." I give you one Rudy Galindo. Who buckled down in the 95/96 season and concentrated on improving his skills over anything else, and it really paid off. Johnny's "distractions" frankly did him in - he should have so much more to show for his talent in terms of victories and podium placements.

caseyedwards

OMG, Plushy's jumps in the 2010 Olympic long program!!! As Scott Hamilton said, he was a "cat" for landing some of them. He was tilted so far over in the air for his first triple axel that I still remain amazed he saved it. He may have been the better skater overall, but that program was fairly ugly aside from the damned quad. And sorry, the judges look at more than one jump.

How did slight tilts in the air on the axel and lutz become disqualifying for the jump counting!! Lol. They were slight tilts blown up to be catastrophic errors that invalidated the jumps to people. There was no doubling no step out no turn out no uring no two foot unlike lysacek who had major major two foot and ur in three jump combo

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
How did slight tilts in the air on the axel and lutz become disqualifying for the jump counting!! Lol. They were slight tilts blown up to be catastrophic errors that invalidated the jumps to people.

Sorry, but I missed the part where someone said that the jumps should be disqualified. Because NO ONE has said that, troll.

There was no doubling no step out no turn out no uring no two foot unlike lysacek who had major major two foot and ur in three jump combo

:barrel

caseyedwards

Sorry, but I missed the part where someone said that the jumps should be disqualified. Because NO ONE has said that, troll.

:barrel
Lol please! People act like plushenko’s leans on two jumps are actually really bad things and big mistakes!

caseyedwards

The article goes into many many things about the whole 2010 men’s Olympic competition. If you only want to discuss Lysaceks you can do that in the trash can. It’s totally crazy and outrageous how hersh depicts the Russians as being political but not Americans when American judges was emailing judges to give Plushenko lower scores

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I don't want to look like I'm agreeing with an idiot troll, but even a dumb broken clock is right twice a day.

The fact that an American judge sent an email to other judges ahead of the Olympics telling them to mark Plushenko down is an absolute disgrace, and if it had been the other way around - if it had been a Russian judge telling other judges to mark another skater down ahead of the Olympics - the scandal that would have ensued would have been insane.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
The article goes into many many things about the whole 2010 men’s Olympic competition. If you only want to discuss Lysaceks you can do that in the trash can. It’s totally crazy and outrageous how hersh depicts the Russians as being political but not Americans when American judges was emailing judges to give Plushenko lower scores

Yes, and was this not discussed to death at the time? Will anything new come out of such a conversation? Are you about to provide us with a new insight? If so, go for it. If not, there's a Trash Can waiting for you to go over the same old ground again and again and again.

Spiralgraph

I though Evan was a very good, smart skater who rightfully won his Olympic gold medal. I wouldn't say he was a charismatic skater. To me he looked like he was concentrating so much that his focus was not necessarily projecting to the audience. But his life has turned out very well and I know he's worked hard for his success.

caseyedwards

Yes, and was this not discussed to death at the time? Will anything new come out of such a conversation? Are you about to provide us with a new insight? If so, go for it. If not, there's a Trash Can waiting for you to go over the same old ground again and again and again.
So discussion about the articles info on where lysacek is today and how he feels about the win today are GSD material but discussion about the articles info on the win and how it happened are trash can?!

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
So discussion about the articles info on where lysacek is today and how he feels about the win today are GSD material but discussion about the articles info on the win and how it happened are trash can?!

This is a thread for news and updates, so yeah--what is relevant to today belongs in this thread. The Trash Can is for, among other things, rehashing old competitions. You (and others) can go ride your favorite hobby horses into the ground there.

If you have further questions, send me a PM and we will discuss it there, as the entire point of my initial post was trying to prevent you (and others) from derailing yet another thread with your obsessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information