ISU Skating Awards online - Saturday, July 11, 2020

Sylvia

TBD
Press release: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ng-award-recipients-revealed?templateParam=15
Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN/Most Valuable Skater), Gabriella Papadakis/Guillaume Cizeron (FRA/Most Entertaining Program), Alena Kostornaia (RUS/Best Newcomer) and Madison Chock/Evan Bates (USA/Best Costume) are the winning skaters of the inaugural ISU Skating Awards for the 2019/20 season. The Best Coach Award went to Eteri Tutberidze (RUS) while Shae-Lynn Bourne (CAN) was crowned best choreographer. Four-time World Champion and Canadian skating legend Kurt Browning received the Lifetime Achievement Award.

Articles:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Of course, but the Fanyus have spun an elaborate conspiracy about how the ISU is trying to push him to retire and how they would give Chen this award to tell him to go away. Now they are saying they managed to bully the ISU into giving Hanyu the award but that the ISU has given Hanyu the award as a ruse to make it look like they don't hate him, but they won't let him win, you see. :lol:

Okay but... why do you follow crazy fanyus on social media?

Teenes

Here to defend Kurt Browning. There’s lots of people who could have won. (And maybe if vote took place before worlds, being Canadian tipped the scale - although I’m not sure when the vote took place.) But he’s a good first recipient. As a competitive skater, first man to land the quad, land two triple axels in the same program, do three triple-triple combos in a program, only skater to win worlds with and without figures. His Casablanca program had a huge influence on the way skating competitive programs were choreographed and how storytelling could be integrated into a program. Then he became a high level pro and helped elevate the caliber of pro competitions. He went on to continue to contribute to the sport both on and off the ice. Still skates in shows in his 50s, works as a choreographer, mentor and very strong supporter of younger skaters. Recently have seen him on tv/internet encouraging the public to stay active pre- and during co**d. He represents a bridge between old and new: pre- and post-figure competitive scene, amateur and pro careers, young brash skater and now choreographer, supportive mentor and ambassador for the sport and advocate for staying active throughout your life. So yes, I do think he’s a worthy lifetime achievement recipient. Lastly, he was appreciative. I’ve watched him for many years and this is one of the few times I’ve seen him a bit misty eyed with his voice cracking. And he showed up!

You said everything I was going to say! 👏:cheer2:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Here to defend Kurt Browning. There’s lots of people who could have won. (And maybe if vote took place before worlds, being Canadian tipped the scale - although I’m not sure when the vote took place.) But he’s a good first recipient. As a competitive skater, first man to land the quad, land two triple axels in the same program, do three triple-triple combos in a program, only skater to win worlds with and without figures. His Casablanca program had a huge influence on the way skating competitive programs were choreographed and how storytelling could be integrated into a program. Then he became a high level pro and helped elevate the caliber of pro competitions. He went on to continue to contribute to the sport both on and off the ice. Still skates in shows in his 50s, works as a choreographer, mentor and very strong supporter of younger skaters. Recently have seen him on tv/internet encouraging the public to stay active pre- and during co**d. He represents a bridge between old and new: pre- and post-figure competitive scene, amateur and pro careers, young brash skater and now choreographer, supportive mentor and ambassador for the sport and advocate for staying active throughout your life. So yes, I do think he’s a worthy lifetime achievement recipient. Lastly, he was appreciative. I’ve watched him for many years and this is one of the few times I’ve seen him a bit misty eyed with his voice cracking. And he showed up!

well said, he’s one of the most well-known names in skating. Can’t imagine a world without him!

Sonata

Sarcasm. It was sarcasm. About Hanya fans who think he should win everything. Even Best Newcomer.
I know, my response was to some people commenting earlier and when I saw your post and it reminded me to post. I realize the juxtaposition made it look like I was criticizing your post. I could have made it clearer.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
what would happen if .... YouKnowWho decides to retire???? #ainttalkingaboutKB

Sylvia

TBD
JSF tweeted this video of Hanyu commenting after he won the ISU's Most Valuable Skater award: https://twitter.com/skatingjapan/status/1282102374140706822

Article:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I know, my response was to some people commenting earlier and when I saw your post and it reminded me to post. I realize the juxtaposition made it look like I was criticizing your post. I could have made it clearer.
It was actually someone else's post. :D It's all good.

But I still expect to see Fanyus complain that he didn't win Best Newcomer. :lol:

Sonata

It was actually someone else's post. :D It's all good.

But I still expect to see Fanyus complain that he didn't win Best Newcomer. :lol:

:duh: I didn’t check and reread the post before posting, sorry. Been using my phone today and find it a pain to scroll up.

Are the Fanyus upset about him losing best costume? Still don’t understand why the costume designer doesn’t get nominated. Best costume at the Oscars doesn’t go to the actor wearing the costume. It would also help highlight contributions of costume designers to the sport - it takes a team to make an athlete.

Fairuza

:duh: I didn’t check and reread the post before posting, sorry. Been using my phone today and find it a pain to scroll up.

Are the Fanyus upset about him losing best costume? Still don’t understand why the costume designer doesn’t get nominated. Best costume at the Oscars doesn’t go to the actor wearing the costume. It would also help highlight contributions of costume designers to the sport - it takes a team to make an athlete.
Fanyus aren’t upset about anything. Stop taking these feeble attempts at wit seriously.

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
Eteri wins best coach. Accepting on her behalf is Joan Crawford.

Seriously. Those were Level 4 Instagram filters; I was half-expecting fuzzy ears to sprout from her head or a dog's tongue to pop out if she moved her head or opened her mouth too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information