U.S. Men 2019-20 season - news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Didn't see this link posted earlier in this thread... Scott Hamilton chatted with Nathan for an hour back on Friday, April 24, 2020 (uploaded on May 1):

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm really really worried for Jason, given I saw that the border closure between US and Canada is extended into July and I suspect that situation will continue into August and maybe even September. Everyone else is getting back to training and he's separated from his coaches, a state that could continue for months. If the season manages to get underway he could be very much on the back foot.

Alexa

I'm really really worried for Jason, given I saw that the border closure between US and Canada is extended into July and I suspect that situation will continue into August and maybe even September. Everyone else is getting back to training and he's separated from his coaches, a state that could continue for months. If the season manages to get underway he could be very much on the back foot.

I watched a Skate Ontario video with Brian and Tracy last week, Brian or Tracy mentioned that they also conduct zoom sessions with skaters who has access to rinks overseas. So even though it is far from ideal, he should have some guidance/coaching from TCC. Brian posted a picture with skaters today, not everyone is back

Alexa

Netflix is doing a film about Nathan, apparently. I just came across this trailer, but I can't find any additional information about this project:

Meanwhile, it's not easy trying to keep up with all the Zoom video interviews with skaters. But I'm in heaven watching them! :love:
:lol: Well, it had me fooled alright. :p
His Korean fans just missed him terribly. I posted quite several videos of the ATS show shot and SA by that fan last year

I will probably post some Japanese TV programs of Nathan from last year. Some TV station made really good program last year aiming to broadcasting it around worlds this year.

barbarafan

There are exceptions to the rule. He may have applied & is just waiting for the go-ahead. His rink just opened this week.I would think besides being tested etc. he will have to self-quarantine b4 coming to the rink. I don't think there are any restrictions to cdn first as quebec opened partially this week & the ice dancers (2 teams from France as well) are skating at 4glace in Pierrefonds where (as their name suggests) there are 4 rinks to divy up the skaters...There are 2 of the us teams as well. H/D and C/B.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Traveling for work is considered essential though, right?

greenapple

Jason can go to Toronto by plane just like anyone else who has a work/study visa. The border is closed to road traffic but not air traffic.

RoseRed

Jason can go to Toronto by plane just like anyone else who has a work/study visa. The border is closed to road traffic but not air traffic.
This is incorrect. You can fly from Canada into the US without restrictions, but that is not the case for entering Canada.

The Canadian immigration website says that foreign nationals can only come to Canada if they're immediate family of a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, or "travelling for an essential" (non-discretionary) purpose.
Essential refers to travel for reasons that are non-discretionary and non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment.

It really depends on whether coming for training would be considered "essential travel".

Also, does Jason have a work/study visa? He's not enrolled at a Canadian school as far as I know, so not a study visa. And he's not actually employed in Canada, he's training here. I know Madi and Zach have talked about not being allowed to work in Canada (which means they don't have work visas), so I wouldn't assume Jason does.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Jason has probably been doing as much as he can to stay fit and to keep in touch with his coaches and trainers via technology. Maybe he's going to be making plans to get back to the Cricket Club sometime soon. Or he just has to wait and see how everything works out. :unsure:

Thanks for the further information about travel restrictions @RoseRed. I imagine that Madi & Zach and the other U.S. ice dancers at Gadbois remained in Montreal. ETA: Okay, I see your post @Debbie S, about Madi/Zach, C/B, H/B and their whereabouts.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It really depends on whether coming for training would be considered "essential travel".

Well, weren't they all allowed to be living there on athletic visas? They certainly aren't there for tourism, entertainment or casual purposes. This is about their lives and top-level athletic careers. I would think the necessity to be close to their coaches and trainers is considered essential, should we get further indication there might be some sort of competitive season.

Some countries require quarantine after re-entry. I have a relative who's attending a university in Japan and had lived there previously in connection with a 'teaching English' program, so he has many friends there and speaks fluent Japanese. He was back home for a visit a few months ago, and had a heck of a time being able to get back to Japan where he was living and studying, and had belongings and a living situation. He was able to get back, but he had to spend time in quarantine upon arrival, per regulations.

greenapple

This is incorrect. You can fly from Canada into the US without restrictions, but that is not the case for entering Canada.

The Canadian immigration website says that foreign nationals can only come to Canada if they're immediate family of a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, or "travelling for an essential" (non-discretionary) purpose.

You are citing a section that has nothing to do with people who have work/study permits. This is what the Canadian government website says with respect to foreign nationals with work permits.

The following foreign nationals who are currently outside Canada are not subject to Canada’s travel restrictions if travelling to Canada for a non-optional or non-discretionary purpose:
  1. Foreign nationals who hold a valid Canadian work permit (including an open work permit) as defined in section R2.
    Document to present to the air carrier: The status document [IMM 1442] (the actual valid work permit document).
The Canadian government has also clarified that work permit and study permit holders who are in the USA but ordinarily reside in Canada, are only permitted re-entry to Canada if they have been in Canada and/or the USA for 14 days prior to entry.

RoseRed

You are citing a section that has nothing to do with people who have work/study permits. This is what the Canadian government website says with respect to foreign nationals with work permits.

The following foreign nationals who are currently outside Canada are not subject to Canada’s travel restrictions if travelling to Canada for a non-optional or non-discretionary purpose:
  1. Foreign nationals who hold a valid Canadian work permit (including an open work permit) as defined in section R2.
    Document to present to the air carrier: The status document [IMM 1442] (the actual valid work permit document).
The Canadian government has also clarified that work permit and study permit holders who are in the USA but ordinarily reside in Canada, are only permitted re-entry to Canada if they have been in Canada and/or the USA for 14 days prior to entry.
Okay, so do we know that he has a work permit (since he obviously wouldn't have a study permit)?

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ To train and live in Canada for any extended period, all of the non-Canadian athletes surely have to obtain some kind of visa. I would assume it would be a type of athlete visa?

Here's what I found just now through a Google search:

"There is no special Canadian visa for athletes. This means that you, as a professional or amateur athlete, may come to Canada on a visitor’s visa. Or, if you are from a visa-exempt country, you do not need a visa at all, just an electronic travel authorization (eTA)."

I believe U.S. citizens traveling to Canada for short visits are visa-exempt and only have to show their passports. Thus U.S. athletes traveling to Canada for long stays apparently only need an 'electronic travel authorization' (eTA).

The below site provides clarification surrounding visiting athletes and work permits. There are different scenarios, but apparently it would be pretty complicated to try and obtain a work permit as a visiting athlete training in Canada for an extended period. The regulations seem more focused on eliminating the need for the burdensome process of obtaining a work permit simply to visit and compete as a member of a sports team or to work for a sports team or organization for short or long periods:

Last edited:

Debbie S

U.S. skaters training in Canada do not have a work visa. H/D have stated that they are unable to work (for a Canadian employer) while they are living there.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I watched an Instagram Live chat with Rohene Ward not that long ago and recall him saying that he would be working with Jason on program choreography in the Chicago area (where some rinks opened earlier this month).

Oooh, new short program?

NGL, I kinda wouldn't mind if he kept the long. One more season of bawling my eyes out. Plus it would be so sweet to see him hit it flawlessly - with the quad in its place.

Sylvia

TBD
I watched an Instagram Live chat with Rohene Ward not that long ago and recall him saying that he would be working with Jason on program choreography in the Chicago area (where some rinks opened earlier this month).
Oooh, new short program?
Yes, one was just debuted at the Peggy Fleming Trophy.

The 2020-21 season news thread for U.S. Men is here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/u-s-men-2020-21-season-news-updates.107352/

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information