Stars on Ice 2020

Barbara Manatee

I hope not! I love this cheeseball show, and I know the skaters appreciate the income. At least canceling the tour will let them cut their losses.

Anyway, my Ticketmaster refund showed up today.

love skating

Clueless American
My refund from the Honda Center showed up yesterday. I had sent in my tickets and info a little over a week ago.

As to the future of the show - with 2021 being so unsure I wonder if they might just wait for the Olympic year to start up again. Of course that's assuming the Olympics take place in 2022. Anyway this lifelong SOI fan (25 yrs in a row until this year) will be there if and when they return.

GloriaW

My refund from the Honda Center showed up yesterday. I had sent in my tickets and info a little over a week ago.

As to the future of the show - with 2021 being so unsure I wonder if they might just wait for the Olympic year to start up again. Of course that's assuming the Olympics take place in 2022. Anyway this lifelong SOI fan (25 yrs in a row until this year) will be there if and when they return.

It sadly becomes a vicious cycle of sorts I would think. The longer the sport is out of the public eye or if the competition season in 2020/2021 gets stunted, then the less general public interest there could be of sitting in a cold arena watching a show, paying Stars On Ice prices. The post 2022 Olympics would be a better chance of producing a show that has a shot at making money I would think.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I feel like SOI is declining because:
  • Tickets are expensive
  • It doesn’t feel fresh or exciting anymore
  • Choreography needs to change
  • Not everyone knows who the skaters are
  • Meet & Greets are rushed and they don’t look thrilled to be there
  • Tour stops are the same or reduced

dogbert

It sadly becomes a vicious cycle of sorts I would think. The longer the sport is out of the public eye or if the competition season in 2020/2021 gets stunted, then the less general public interest there could be of sitting in a cold arena watching a show, paying Stars On Ice prices. The post 2022 Olympics would be a better chance of producing a show that has a shot at making money I would think.
Sadly, I think you're right. Although it looks like the worst of the pandemic is over, people will be careful for a very long time, wanting to avoid crowds. $$$ will be tight, too since we may be heading for a depression, not just a recession. Restaurants and entertainment venues have been hit badly and will take time to bounce back. Once people settle into new patterns, like buying meal kits instead of dining out, it's hard to get them back

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I'm pleased to report that I have now received a credit on my card for the tickets and parking pass I bought for the Ottawa SOI show. It was a full refund, i.e. no fees held back. The tickets were bought through Ticketmaster the first day they went on sale.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
I'm pleased to report that I have now received a credit on my card for the tickets and parking pass I bought for the Ottawa SOI show. It was a full refund, i.e. no fees held back. The tickets were bought through Ticketmaster the first day they went on sale.

I'm still waiting for my Ticketmaster refund. I sent an email to customer support last week and got a reply that they were processing refunds and mine was in the queue.

For as much as I like to hate on Ticketmaster, I've had several refunds in the past few months, I've gotten personal replies to any inquiries, and they've been fairly prompt, especially given the sheer amount of refunds they must be dealing with.

Barbara Manatee

I am ridiculously disappointed to be missing the show today. I was so looking forward to not only my faves but to the international skaters I've never seen live before. Weird how the relatively unimportant things like a canceled show can still hit hard even in the face of all we are going through. But I'm dying for just one of those cheesy 'gotta dance now!' group numbers.

aftershocks

Banned Member

I say use this current crisis as an opportunity to think about ways of putting together skating for television (or more aptly for streaming) productions like the Toller Cranston extravaganza @floskate recently shared, the Michelle Kwan specials of old, and the post-1988 Olympics Emmy-winning production of Carmen. Just sayin' :watch:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
YES! We need more fun skating specials that we can stream. Not everyone has cable and definitely not everyone has the time/$$$ to fly out to a skating performance. I'd love to see a remake of Carmen (original had the Brian's and Katrina Witt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information