The Glorious Otonals: Who did it best?

The Glorious Otonals: Who did it best?

• Maria

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Johnny

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Yuzuru

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Transitivity fails: I can't rank them.

Votes: 5 6.0%

• Total voters

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Maria. This program alone turned me from being somewhat scared of her (mind you, I was ~10) to absolutely falling in love with her in the few short months between 1997 Worlds and 1997 Skate Canada when we in the USA were able to first see the program. I was immediately obsessed with it.

bardtoob

During Yuzuru's performance, he is does the 4T-3T at the end of the rank in front of a crowd of spectators on the lower level. Among them is a woman in a jacket that descends from white to green. Her face after the 4T-3T is so full joy,

and before his step sequence she starts cheering for him with the gusto of a hockey fan.

I love it!

S

SmallFairy

This program was the turning point in Bute's career. She switched coaches, showed up at Euros 98 with this fab FS, suddenly landed her jumps, and won! She was European champion, after all those struggling years, she got a world silver medal with Otonal later in the season, and she rode the wave from there. Otonal fitted her perfectly, Tchaikovskaya, Bute and that program was a perfect match.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Maria. This program alone turned me from being somewhat scared of her (mind you, I was ~10) to absolutely falling in love with her in the few short months between 1997 Worlds and 1997 Skate Canada when we in the USA were able to first see the program. I was immediately obsessed with it.
That was the right person and the right music at the right time producing nothing less than magic on the ice

beebee

1999 Helsinki was my first in person Worlds (happy to say I've attended every single Worlds since). I was with a large group of Americans and we were all in for Michelle Kwan. But this competition wasn't about Michelle Kwan. No if, ands, or buts--Butyrskaya owned the Ladies Free Skate. It was a breakthrough of immeasurable proportions for her. Maybe Johnny was more lyrical, but Butyrskaya's skate went far beyond anything Johnny or Hanyu ever brought to Otonal. I have always felt so fortunate to have lived those moments with her in 1999. Otonal belongs to Maria Butryskaya.

Spun Silver

Oh man, I have to speak up for Johnny. He's the one who owns Otonal for me. Bute's technical feat is amazing and wonderful to see, but Johnny is breathtakingly beautiful from start to finish. He's so fleet and inspired as well as delivering near-perfection technically. He can be compared with John Curry in this performance. I've soured a bit on Johnny since he stopped competing (as bright as he is, his self-obsession is unbearable) but I can never tire of this performance. (Is this the best vid there is?)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I voted for Yuzuru but I agree with the comments about Maria. She owned that music. Everyone else was paying tribute to this beautiful piece of music because she made it popular.

I like Johnny ‘s interpretation too.

giselle23

Oh man, I have to speak up for Johnny. He's the one who owns Otonal for me. Bute's technical feat is amazing and wonderful to see, but Johnny is breathtakingly beautiful from start to finish. He's so fleet and inspired as well as delivering near-perfection technically. He can be compared with John Curry in this performance. I've soured a bit on Johnny since he stopped competing (as bright as he is, his self-obsession is unbearable) but I can never tire of this performance. (Is this the best vid there is?)

I like Johnny's, too, but would he have chosen this music without Maria choosing it first? I don't think so.

Bellanca

Maria got my vote because the music elevated her to a new level and showcased her technical talent and (take-no-prisoners) attitude at that particular moment, but Johnny gets the love and full appreciation because as @Spun Silver mentioned, his is breathtakingly beautiful.

Of course, the mention of the great John Curry didn’t hurt. 😍😉

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Can someone post a you tube link to Maria’s 99 worlds LP? The ones I found on yt didn’t have the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information