2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

Sonata

Ruiter takes the title with 31 points to spare.

I know the description says Josee Chouinard is commentating but I’m pretty sure it’s Elizabeth Manley’s voice. Josee Chouinard is definitely commentating the SP.

Nice to hear these former women’s champions.

Vase

Great job by Kaiya, now let’s hope growth can be slow and easy for her, wonder if she’s working on quads?

mag

I know the description says Josee Chouinard is commentating but I’m pretty sure it’s Elizabeth Manley’s voice. Josee Chouinard is definitely commentating the SP.

Nice to hear these former women’s champions.

Ted called her Liz at one point so I assume it is Manley. The only other person would be Liz Putnam but I don’t think she does commentary and the voice sounds like Manley.

Colonel Green

I know the description says Josee Chouinard is commentating but I’m pretty sure it’s Elizabeth Manley’s voice.
Correct, checking back. I only joined the free skate toward the end, so I missed the intro the first time around.

Great job by Kaiya, now let’s hope growth can be slow and easy for her, wonder if she’s working on quads?
I haven't seen anything to that effect. Davis posted footage of her trying the triple Axel in harness about a year ago; that's something a lot of skaters try, of course, but it may indicate they want to incorporate that. She's ambitious, certainly, and it's increasingly looking like the absolute minimum skaters will need to have internationally.

text_skate

Re-posting the link to Beverley Smith's January 11th article on "Gabby Daleman: Bumpy Times" in this thread (thanks for the heads up, @victorskid!): https://bevsmithwrites.com/gabby-daleman-bumpy-times/
I'm not sure, what to make of this article. It sings the praises of a girl, that always pulls threw – instead of looking out for herself (e.g. keeping quiet about a head bump, which turned out to be a concussion, skating with pneumonia...)
All in all I wish Gaby all the best, and particularly that she looks after her health (in all aspects)

wickedwitch

I'm not sure, what to make of this article. It sings the praises of a girl, that always pulls threw – instead of looking out for herself (e.g. keeping quiet about a head bump, which turned out to be a concussion, skating with pneumonia...)
All in all I wish Gaby all the best, and particularly that she looks after her health (in all aspects)
There is a really unhealthy tendency in sports media to praise athletes who perform when they probably shouldn't. And there's no sign of this changing any time soon.

Sylvia

TBD
No pressure or anything, Kaiya! ;) Check out Beverley Smith's article:

Last edited:

mag

No pressure or anything, Kaiya! ;) Check out Beverley Smith's article:

Oh dear. Not sure this is very helpful. Kaiya, no matter how small her parents are, has a ton of growing to do. Emily Millard, silver medalist, is actually quite petite. Take a look at the podium photo to get an idea about how truly tiny Kaiya is. I understand excitement and it is important to celebrate success, but the pressure is going to be immense.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Oh dear. Not sure this is very helpful. Kaiya, no matter how small her parents are, has a ton of growing to do. Emily Millard, silver medalist, is actually quite petite. Take a look at the podium photo to get an idea about how truly tiny Kaiya is. I understand excitement and it is important to celebrate success, but the pressure is going to be immense.

Good as Kaiya is, it always makes me nervous when a junior skater is caught up in the hype machine.

Though it was almost 40 years ago, Skate Canada is still smarting for their poor handling and treatment of Tracy Wainman.

Last edited:

mag

I feel badly for Aurora. Her skating, just her basic crossovers, have improved SO much. Injuries suck and I really hope she at least considers not skating tomorrow. She needs to get that back healed and one fall could very costly to her rehab. Start that rehab now and be ready for next season.

Colonel Green

Yeah, I would definitely tell her to withdraw based on how she looked in the short. It's a real shame given how promising things looked at the start of the season for her.

Alicia was weirdly undermarked in the short.

euterpe

Yeah, I would definitely tell her to withdraw based on how she looked in the short. It's a real shame given how promising things looked at the start of the season for her.

Alicia was weirdly undermarked in the short.

Maybe that was because of 3t+3t<. But she did get the highest TES and PCS.

Emily Bausback's 3f+3t was the only completely rotated 3/3 in the competition.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A shaky short program for everyone.

Here's hoping that which three make the podium, they are all sent to Four Continents to get some extra competition in before Montreal. My biggest concern is that with so much depth at the world level, neither skater will make it out of qualifying at Worlds.

Colonel Green

A shaky short program for everyone.

Here's hoping that which three make the podium, they are all sent to Four Continents to get some extra competition in before Montreal. My biggest concern is that with so much depth at the world level, neither skater will make it out of qualifying at Worlds.
I wouldn't call Alicia shaky; that was a career-best job for her.

As far as assignments go, if Madeline is on the podium she doesn't have senior tech minimums so she couldn't go to Four Continents (she'd be in the same situation Aurora was last year).

Sylvia

TBD
Aurora Cotop's message on Instagram:
All the best to her on a full recovery so she can come back strongly next season!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information