Japanese figure skating 2019-20 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

I think Wakaba will bring it at Worlds.

I'm sure she is motivated to go back (don't forget, silver in 2018). I'd love to see her bring back 3Lz+3Lo, but consistency is more important and if she can do a clean SP and FS I have no doubt she will be in the top 6.

How times have changed in just 2 seasons. In 2018 she delivered a clean free skate with 2 3/3s to win the surprise silver. This season, if she delivered the same free skate, she would probably place 5th at best if the Russians and Rika skate 80% or above.

Jonas

I know Wakaba has been competing while injured since last season, so I do hope this is the start of her upward trajectory again. I'm sure she is fully aware that she needs to up her ante. If I were advising her, I'd have her remaster her 3Z+3R and reintroduce it back to competition AND introduce at least one 3Axel (which I've seen her landing again in practices) in each program.

Kaori Sakamoto just looked off here in both programs, but in the FS in particular. Interesting point about how Mai Mihara's health issues may potentially be affecting Kaori. I do hope Kaori finishes this season on a high at Four Continents.

Onto the men:
Yuma Kagiyama was just stellar in the FS: the jumps, the speed, uh!!! Had he not popped that 3Axel in his SP, he probably woulda beat Hanyu overall for the silver (and I woulda personally crowned him!) I would've sent to the Big Show in Montreal.

I concur that I wished the Japanese Fed somehow made room to get Kazuki Tomono into Four Continents (similarly to how they got Kaori there for the ladies).

Your thoughts...

Dobre

I think it's good that Yuma is going to 4CCs. Since he popped the axel at the JGPF also, it seems likely to me that giving him that experience at 4CCs and Junior Worlds is a good idea. And I'd like to see him fight for a medal at Junior Worlds. I believe in Japan that athletes can only do Worlds or Junior Worlds, but not both. Also Yuma & Shun have a great shot at earning that third junior men's spot back for Japan at Junior Worlds.

As far as Wakaba is concerned, I think she is looking good & on her way back. I would love to see that axel one day. I don't know if any specific elements have impacted her injury. All I remember hearing is that she was feeling better after staying off it and then the pain returned after the summer. If training any particular element, be it the loop or axel or something else, is contributing to the problem, then I just hope she makes wise decisions so that she can remain pain free & train. It was so nice at Nationals to see her back to herself!

Fairuza

I know Wakaba has been competing while injured since last season, so I do hope this is the start of her upward trajectory again. I'm sure she is fully aware that she needs to up her ante. If I were advising her, I'd have her remaster her 3Z+3R and reintroduce it back to competition AND introduce at least one 3Axel (which I've seen her landing again in practices) in each program.

Kaori Sakamoto just looked off here in both programs, but in the FS in particular. Interesting point about how Mai Mihara's health issues may potentially be affecting Kaori. I do hope Kaori finishes this season on a high at Four Continents.

Onto the men:
Yuma Kagiyama was just stellar in the FS: the jumps, the speed, uh!!! Had he not popped that 3Axel in his SP, he probably woulda beat Hanyu overall for the silver (and I woulda personally crowned him!) I would've sent to the Big Show in Montreal.

I concur that I wished the Japanese Fed somehow made room to get Kazuki Tomono into Four Continents (similarly to how they got Kaori there for the ladies).

Your thoughts...
Did you bother to check the point difference between Yuzu’s and Yuma’s SP? Or is it just so much wishful thinking?

ostile17

Crossposting from the "Welcome Back Mr. Takahashi..." thread in the Trash Can

Daisuke's final performances as a single at Japan Nationals

Dai-chan, thanks for these final skates and for doing your best: your body was battered and the injuriues too many. Yet you went on to the final battle, bravely, as usual.

It's been a pleasure and a priviledge to have him back for two more years.
I love how the juniors never have enough of him. He sure has paved the way for men's single and for figure skating in Japan. Hopefully, health will allow him to open the doors for Japan's ice-dance as well.

The cheering from the crowd chanting "Dai-chan... Dai-chan" after the free was endless. The love of the people for this man never, ever stops!

I'm happy he could finally took that final bow in front of his people that he so needed and deserved.

And the flowers he surprised coach Nagamitsi with, thanking her for these 19 years and apologizing to her for being a bad student...

The commentator with broken voices thanking him and wishing him luck on his new journey in ice dance...

It was too much!!! :wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

2019 Japan Nationals - Daisuke TAKAHASHI - SP - "The Phoenix"

2019 Japan Nationals - Daisuke TAKAHASHI - FS - "Pale Green Ghosts"

2019 Japan Nationals - Daisuke TAKAHASHI - EX - "The Phoenix"

Daisuke Takahashi Farwell from Yuzuru Hanyu

mikeko

from Ayaka Hosoda Instagram
at KANKU Ice Arena opening ceremony and exhibition (Dec 25)

"Daisuke Takahashi cooks curry (2008)"
13 yo Ayaka appeared in video

News clips
https://youtu.be/GnPlZzP1r2E
https://youtu.be/z-i_097kIBQ
https://youtu.be/UsTh7iRGbOI
https://youtu.be/tgEUReomRB4

Cathy Reed's instagram

This new rink will be a base for pairs and ice dance, and Narumi Takahashi, Cathy and Chris Reed will work there. Narumi and Chris were in the audience, and it looks like Chris has officially retired. :( Dai said Kana and he may use it when they are back from Florida.

Sylvia

TBD
Cathy Reed's instagram
https://www.instagram.com/p/B6fv-7yJfHo/

This new rink will be a base for pairs and ice dance, and Narumi Takahashi, Cathy and Chris Reed will work there. Narumi and Chris were in the audience, and it looks like Chris has officially retired. :(
Carhy Reed's latest blog post includes an unlisted video link to Chris' retirement message in Japanese: https://ameblo.jp/reed-tokyo-japan/entry-12563546237.html
All the best to him!

ETA link to a news article:

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma declined his spot for 4CC. He said he wants to get accustomed to his new environment first. Tomono has replaced him.

ETA:
Go Tomono!

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Shoma declined his spot for 4CC. He said he wants to get accustomed to his new environment first. Tomono has replaced him.
Shoma announced his comment through the fed (my rough translation):
From the beginning of this year I seriously started to train in a new environment abroad. First of all I want to get accustomed to my new environment for being grounded. I also want to improve in my consistency on jumps to prepare for Worlds. I'll work on my programs' perfection with my coach Lambiel. For those reasons I made this choice this time. To those who were looking forward to seeing my skate in 4CC, my sponsor companies and media, I feel very sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for all your concern. I continue to devote myself working hard day by day for showing my best skates in Worlds as the culmination of this season. Thanks for your support in advance.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Athletes representing Japan at the Youth Olys gathered in Tokyo today to take part in a team-forming ceremony. Yuma Kagiyama will be the flag-bearer. He's worked on 3A on which he made a mistake in Japan Nats last month. He says he wants to show a good skate in SP and aims at a podium at Youth Olys.

ETA:
More photos from the ceremony

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Yuma Kagiyama won in Youth Olympics. He hit the boards but managed to stay in the 3rd place in SP. He made a few miner mistakes in FS but managed to put things together enough to win over other skaters. I was thrilled about that 3A in the very end of the free skate. His hard work on 3A after making costly mistake in Nats' SP paid off. Cudos to him for the memorable title!
SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFK136-5X-U
FS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45MeRPLC1n8
results

Dobre

Fukase & Cho (Zhang? I'm assuming we're going with Cho officially now?) earned their 4CC minimums at Mentor Torun Cup.

Out of curiosity, does Japan ever add athletes to the 4CC list based on earning minimum scores after the team for 4CCs has been announced? I've been assuming F&C are not going to Four Continents because there was no mention of their having the possibility of going and because whatever Japan's internal scoring criteria is for events like the GP, it is obvious that the threshold is relatively high compared to some countries. But I'm asking anyway as F&C did earn this minimum score, obviously Japan has two more potential berths at 4CCs, and based on results at Mentor Torun, F&C clearly wouldn't be last at Four Continents. (Somewhere around 11th, I would guess based on the results at Mentor Torun. Out of a potential field of around 16).

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
@rosewood ,

Wikipedia says they were second at Senior Nationals?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Japan_Figure_Skating_Championships

(It lists them as Fukase & Zhang. Is the wikipedia entry incorrect?)
My bad. (Before I posted, I checked the Nats' results but mistakingly it was 2018 Nats.) I noticed my mistake when I did double check and deleted my original post.

I don't remember anyone added after the announcement of Team Japan these years. I think their chance is very slim-none since they are not even listed as an alternate team for 4CC as long as I know.

As for criteria of this season, it says that skaters are to be selected based on overall evaluations and they are required to receive required scores in specific competitions. Their wording is not accurate but my impression is skaters need to be named first to be on Team Japan and then they can be sent to some competitions if they don't have minimums for 4CC/Worlds. (This season wording was changed but in the past their criteria exactly said so.)

That said, I wish the fed will use as many spots as possible when any deserving team Japan have.

Marco

Yuma's flow is incredible. He needs to control some of those jump landings though.

If Yuzu and Shoma remain healthy and competitive through 2022, I am hoping one of Yuma and Sota would get that 3rd spot.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Midori will skate with Leigh YIP in masters elite pairs artistic field at World Masters Winter Games. I don't know well about this event but it's wonderful that Midori is willing to skate in adult competitions these years. Go Ito/Yip! :cheer2:

Midori said in an interview that she and Yip have been long time friends since they skated in the same Jr Worlds.

ETA:
Midori will skate on the 19th. Here is a livestreaming link. The competition (other disciplines) is being livestreamed right now.
https://livestream.com/sportevents/WWMG2020FS

I just saw Midori in K'nC of her teammate. Looks she's fully enjoying the event. 😊

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Ice dancer Utana Yoshida has shared 5 photos from yesterday's Youth Olympic Games Mixed NOC Team event, including the ceremony in the arena (photos 3 & 4) and the later medal ceremony:
She and Shingo Nishiyama placed 6th in their individual event and won the FD segment in the Team event, which propelled "Team Courage" to gold! :)

Sylvia

TBD
Yuma Kagiyama won in Youth Olympics.
Yuma has shared 6 photos from his YOG experience (he also won the silver medal as part of "Team Focus" yesterday with his 1st place in the Men's FS segment):

I'm looking forward to seeing how he skates at 4CC!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
We can still rewind this livestreaming video. Midori/Leigh start from around -33:00 time mark. (at this point)

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
JSF announced today.
Challenge Cup:
Shoma Uno, Keiji Tanaka, Rika Kihira, Yuhana Yokoi, Nozomu Yoshioka, Shiika Yoshioka, Mone Chiba, Momoka Hatasaki
Coupe du Printemps:
Kazuki Tomono, Sota Yamamoto, Mitsuki Sumoto, Tomoe Kawabata, Kaori Sakamoto, Chisato Uramatsu, Hana Yoshida, Yukari Yamane

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

JSF announced today.
Challenge Cup:
Shoma Uno, Keiji Tanaka, Rika Kihira, Yuhana Yokoi, Nozomu Yoshioka, Shiika Yoshioka, Mone Chiba, Momoka Hatasaki
Coupe du Printemps:
Kazuki Tomono, Sota Yamamoto, Mitsuki Sumoto, Tomoe Kawabata, Kaori Sakamoto, Chisato Uramatsu, Hana Yoshida, Yukari Yamane
What about Bavarian Open? :shuffle:
Send Nagai to glorious return!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
What about Bavarian Open? :shuffle:
Send Nagai to glorious return!
So far skaters with no spring CS/B-comps are Higuchi(Nats Sr 2, Worlds, 4CC) Miyahara(S4, Worlds) Nitaya(S7, retiring) Honda(S8) Nagai(S9) Yamashita(S11, recently injured again).

ETA:
If Miyahara doesn't want to go to Bavarian, Honda and/or Nagai has a chance, I guess. Maybe Nagai's chance is slimmer than Honda's since she's not on Team Japan due to poor results in last season's Nats.

Last edited:

gotoschool

As many others have expressed under the Youth Olympics videos, I was impressed with Mana Kawabe's triple axel and her comeback after her early fall in her freeskate with lovely arm expression and very good speed and believe she should have received the bronze medal. This systematic underscoring of Japanese women skaters who are threats to win or to the podium has been ongoing for a long time and is is similar to Rika's underscoring at the HNK and Worlds last year and even Skate Canada in relative terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information