Cipres/FFSG Press Release on the situation 12-16-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
To me, it is apology that is not really apology. If you apologise for something you have done wrong, wouldn’t you name it what you are apologising for, so that the other person can see that you understand what you have done, appreciate the impact on other people (especially the negative impact on the person you are apologising to) and that you actually regret it? This ‘apology’ is so carefully worded that he left himself plenty of room to claim in the future that he is innocent. For example, ‘Oh no, I never sent those photos to this girl. The apology is for me being too critical while I coached her. I felt bad because she became upset; that’s why I sent the apology.’

Last edited:

Barbara Manatee

Cipres was also coaching her?? That adds an extra layer of betrayal. So much for any excuses that he might not have known her age or even who she was.

Art On Ice is still featuring J/C prominently in the promo for the 2020 show. I hope they reconsider their casting.

Areski

It only gets more embarrassing and disconcerting. I am also torn apart because of Vanessa who is about to lose a lot of opportunities (I still assume she was not aware). Also my doubts regarding Cipres have been resolved.

Last edited:

Eisfee

Cipres was also coaching her?? That adds an extra layer of betrayal. So much for any excuses that he might not have known her age or even who she was.

Art On Ice is still featuring J/C prominently in the promo for the 2020 show. I hope they reconsider their casting.
Really, shame on them!
I'm shocked they go out on the ice as had nothing happened at all! Says a lot about them. And promote a show with them as their "Stars" is cruel and just bad taste!!

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Really, shame on them!
I'm shocked they go out on the ice as had nothing happened at all! Says a lot about them. And promote a show with them as their "Stars" is cruel and just bad taste!!
Totally agree. I am not going to speculate about Vanessa James' knowledge or action or lack thereof, but continuing to appear and skate with Cipres in public is extremely problematic.

happycamper2554

Totally agree. I am not going to speculate about Vanessa James' knowledge or action or lack thereof, but continuing to appear and skate with Cipres in public is extremely problematic.

I know it's probably the right thing to do. But how is she going to tell him she doesnt believe him (assuming her lack of knowledge]. Hes her partner and she dated him at some point. I imagine it would be very hard for her not to support him.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I know it's probably the right thing to do. But how is she going to tell him she doesnt believe him (assuming her lack of knowledge]. Hes her partner and she dated him at some point. I imagine it would be very hard for her not to support him.
It doesn't matter to me whether she believes or supports him. Imagine what the survivors think about Cipres performing at shows right now. It's just sending an even clearer message that he is successful, powerful, and more important than them.

Anyway, I'm not going to say more about Vanessa because it's the survivors who deserve the focus here.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Really, shame on them!

Should Mae-Berenice Meite and Kevin Aymoz fire Zimmerman and Fontana?

Minou

Apologies if someone has already noted this: Morgan and Cipres will not be defending France´s title in Graz the 2020 European championships.

skatfan

Apologies if someone has already noted this: Morgan and Cipres will not be defending France´s title in Graz the 2020 European championships.

Their plan to do Euros and Worlds seemed unlikely even before the allegations hit. Now I wonder if part of the reason is that he doesn't want to return to the US now for training. Will be interested to see if they also forego Worlds this year.

Areski

To me, it is apology that is not really apology. If you apologise for something you have done wrong, wouldn’t you name it what you are apologising for, so that the other person can see that you understand what you have done, appreciate the impact on other people (especially the negative impact on the person you are apologising to) and that you actually regret it? This ‘apology’ so carefully worded that he left himself plenty of room to claim in the future that he is innocent. For example, ‘Oh no, I never sent those photos to this girl. The apology is for me being too critical while I coached her. I felt bad because she became upset; that’s why I sent the apology.’

He's clearly prevaricating in that ''apology''. I am even more disgusted as I was hoping that it was to some extent a mistake on his part or some type of screw.

clairecloutier

Their plan to do Euros and Worlds seemed unlikely even before the allegations hit. Now I wonder if part of the reason is that he doesn't want to return to the US now for training. Will be interested to see if they also forego Worlds this year.

James/Cipres never planned to do Worlds this year, only Europeans:

attyfan

Just out of curiosity ... does anyone known how much lead time would a European show need to adjust the advertising in a case such as this? I doubt that the shows were aware of this when they signed the contract with J/C -- would their contract allow the producers to cancel them?

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
And Vanessa skated singles (I believe up to Senior level in U.S. club comps) before pairs so she could skate solos. But she's probably more enjoyable to watch as a pairs skater. I suspect there are partnerless male pairs/adagio skaters who would be happy to skate with her.
She was also British Senior Ladies Champion, and very nice to watch. She could definitely keep a crowd entertained if she was given solo roles in shows. I know she loves skating pairs though :(

hanca

Values her privacy
She was also British Senior Ladies Champion, and very nice to watch. She could definitely keep a crowd entertained if she was given solo roles in shows. I know she loves skating pairs though :(
Finding a partner for show is usually not a problem. Hotarek will be skating in show with Alina Zagitova who is not even a pair skater. Astakhova (who used to skate with Rogonov) will be skating in a show with Deputat. All those were matched for the show and it is possible that in another show they may skate with someone else, so why would it be a problem for Vanessa James?

Vagabond

Just out of curiosity ... does anyone known how much lead time would a European show need to adjust the advertising in a case such as this? I doubt that the shows were aware of this when they signed the contract with J/C -- would their contract allow the producers to cancel them?
As I am sure you are aware, in the U.S., producers routinely require performers to agree to a morals clause. I would be surprised if their European counterparts did things any differently.

It doesn't take that long to change advertisements if need be, but the question is always whether it's worth it to do so. I seem to recall USFS using at least one skater in its publicity for a competition even though she had sustained a season-ending injury quite some time before. Ticket sale information customarily mentions that some athletes who are expected to compete may not do so.

ETA:

This is just a non-apology.
Whether or not it was a "non-apology;" I would say it was an inadequate apology. He did admit that he acted irresponsibly, but he tried to explain away what he had done get the victim's family to keep quiet.

Stress is not a justification for sending obscene material to a thirteen-year-old girl. He may have thought it was, but it isn't.

And I have a question of my own: If he did do some coaching with her, wouldn't he have to have done so under the auspices of USFS?

Last edited:

canbelto

I wish in these cases more people would give a sincere no ands ifs or but’s apology. It can never make things worse and usually makes things a lot better. It certainly would for James Cipres.

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I wish in these cases more people didn’t would give a sincere no ands ifs or but’s apology. It can never make things worse and usually makes things a lot better. It certainly would for James Cipres.

Is this what you meant? What you typed using "didn't" makes no sense to me in relation to your second sentence.

nimi

And I have a question of my own: If he did do some coaching with her, wouldn't he have to have done so under the auspices of USFS?
I wouldn't know, but this was posted in the previous page and kind of answers your question (emphasis added):
Random note: Cipres really shouldn't have been allowed to coach, since he is not USFS-compliant. Rinks are not required to follow USFS policies for their own FS sessions (as opposed to club-run FS sessions) but it's recommended they do. The rink definitely has liability here....sure, Cipres could/would have done the same thing if he was certified, but at least then the rink could say they did their due diligence.

attyfan

As I am sure you are aware, in the U.S., producers routinely require performers to agree to a morals clause. I would be surprised if their European counterparts did things any differently.

It doesn't take that long to change advertisements if need be, but the question is always whether it's worth it to do so. I seem to recall USFS using at least one skater in its publicity for a competition even though she had sustained a season-ending injury quite some time before. Ticket sale information customarily mentions that some athletes who are expected to compete may not do so.

In the US, morals clauses vary a great deal ... and may not deal with the specific conduct at issue. I was wondering if the issue is the same in Europe -- if so, and this kind of conduct is not specifically addressed, the show producers may be unable to cut Cipres, even if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information