Cipres accused of sexual misconduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

Meoima

This was discussed earlier. Cipres is apparently under investigation by the Florida police; any disciplinary action against him within the context of skating would have to come from the French federation.
Aw so actions against him OUTSIDE of the skating world context would be done by Florida police, am I getting it right?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This has to be a Lifetime movie! I am more upset about the allegations that Fontana and Zimmerman trying to cover it up.
Which is why your first reaction was to say that once men are named, then they are maimed. Sorry, not buying it.

And, it explains a lot about why J/C restricted their competitions all year.

No, it doesn't. There was no way they could have known that this was going to blow up publicly.

Colonel Green

According to the Judge Three Twitter, reports to local authorities and SafeSport were made starting in January 2019.
Sources conflict on this, as per Brennan (who has spoken directly with the family), the first report for the current investigation was made in August.

Debbie S

Aw so actions against him OUTSIDE of the skating world context would be done by Florida police, am I getting it right?
Yes. And as PRlady pointed out, Morgan would likely be deported within days after any conviction or plea bargain. Well, he could first serve jail time in the U.S., then be deported.

Minou

French legal processes are quite different than American/Anglo-Saxon processes (and procedures and code). One of those differences is that the identity of the accused is somewhat protected until a trial and its outcome. I don't think that France or Italy are more accepting of sexual abuse than the USA. One would hope not.
I find it appalling, in any case, that folks are demanding actions and input from team members. While they might be appalled and disappointed, they are not required, by any standard to comment; especially during the investigation process.
On another note, generational comments like "Ok Boomer" are not collegial.

Viscaro

I don't think that France or Italy are more accepting of sexual abuse than the USA
Honestly I am not sure. While it is the US that has elected a president who grabs them by the pussy, France has been much more tolerant towards DSK, Polanski, Depardieu, and more broadly sexual harassment culture aka “latin flirt” than the US and other Western Europe countries. I have lived in different Western European countries and France definitively seems more problematic on these aspects of sexism.
I think super famous people get forgiven too easily, but Cipres does not belong to that category. Figure skating is not hugely popular, and he is not an Olympic medalist, so I do not think a lot of people from the general public will be sympathetic to him.

Edit : Since I have been accused of Canadian anti French bias by private message by someone that then blocked me (??? I think ? Or maybe the poster was mad about my dig at Trump ? That pm was confusing), may I say that I am NOT Canadian (what has Canada got to do with it anyway ?), nor American in general. I've lived in different European countries and I live in France now, I have lived there for years. Perhaps it is because my time living in France is collorated with my growing interest in feminism and I have followed therefore the French Meetoo movement, perhaps I am just mad that the latest Polanski film (a child rapist) is breaking the French box office instead of being extraded and judged in the US. In any case I think that the French society is more forgiving of sexual misconduct than the US one, for famous people anyway. It does not mean that I think that France is more or less sexist than any other country. See what happened to Polanski in the US vs. France, Weinstein vs. Besson, and the DSK media coverage across both countries.

Last edited:

kirkbiggestfan

In France, I can think of at least 2 other male national pair champions with very grave accusations against them. The cover-ups in the past 30 years were despicables. I am not going to give their names, but everyone in the French skating world knows who I am talking about. I am so glad that times are changing.
Why on earth did the French Fed send a second pair to Florida last summer? The lady is not even 18yo and you send her there and fund part of the training. Don't tell me they did not know what was going on then?

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Just so you know the person behind that account has asked for their tweets not to be posted on figure skating forums in case their abuser finds them, I would delete the link and summarize the main points.

@feraina @BaileyCatts could you also please delete the direct link?

Oh sorry, I had no idea about that. I’ll delete the link.

canbelto

I am actually really fearful of verbal and physical harassment the 13 year old victim might be getting. It seems as if anytime there's someone who reports abuse the victim gets a disgusting amount of harassment and threats. People are garbage.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
No kidding! I would hate to be a man right now. I have no idea what happened or what did not happen. But boy once a guy is named he is maimed.
As if most of this board didn't already know, you are despicable. Hate to be a man right now? I would hate to be the 13-year old girl who received unsolicited dick pics from someone I trained with. Way to go, defending a probable predator.

caseyedwards

Dispenza asked the girls to ask cipres for naked photos?!?! Cipres was wrong to send penis pics to girls but why was this guy working to get the girls to ask cipres for the penis pics?!

rhapsody

Anyone have an archived version of the article? The USA Today site has been down for me.

Carolla5501

Sadly I can see the coached pressuring the girl. Having those two skaters in your stable was quite a coup for that coaching team. To have something come out right before the Olympics would have been really bad. I’d like to know what USFSA is going to do about coaches in our country knowing and not reporting this type of behavior. That they do control and that they should address. I realize that might hurt some current skaters but I don’t see that we can ignore that coaches who protect abuse are just as guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information