Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

sk9tingfan

I caught the live-stream on YT and it was pretty awesome. Hanyu performed beyond expectation and the audience went wildā€”again took extra long to clear the ice. And I thought well anyone going after that has got to be impacted somewhat, but then Nathan showed what a superlative competitor he has become. So much respect for him. But that costume is distracting.
I'm not quite sure what Nathan is trying to do with those "costumes" and who is advising him on same. Maybe those shirts are his "hip hop" attempt?

BTW, Nathan's sister Janice is one of the Forbes 30 under 30! Now I have the connection in terms of Nathan's pursuit of statistics and modeling as a major at Yale. I'm assuming that he will go to medical school and one that provides an MD/PHD program that incorporates medical informatics as a component. Then he can go to work for his sister!

Icandance

I'm not quite sure what Nathan is trying to do with those "costumes" and who is advising him on same. Maybe those shirts are his "hip hop" attempt?

BTW, Nathan's sister Janice is one of the Forbes 30 under 30! Now I have the connection in terms of Nathan's pursuit of statistics and modeling as a major at Yale. I'm assuming that he will go to medical school and one that provides an MD/PHD program that incorporates medical informatics as a component. Then he can go to work for his sister!

I just think Nathan wants to be comfortable, especially since he is having to balance his classes with his training.

DreamSkates

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Even if Hanyu had landed everything in both of his programs, he wouldn't have caught up to Chen. I imagine this was his and Raf's plan. Not show everything at the beginning of the season. Hanyu did, put it all out there, threw it down. Also, Hanyu looked completely spent (exhausted) at the end of his LP, Chen look the usual tired.
I am a supporter of Hanyu and respect all he has accomplished to this point in time, and who knows what he'll be able to do in the future. But being the one to beat, he has his major rival now surpassing him.
Just when you think Chen has earned his highest points possible for a program, he ups his game. Incredible.

alexikeguchi

BTW, Nathan's sister Janice is one of the Forbes 30 under 30!

Off the topic of the thread, but wow, what an impressive family. Her linkedin page shows she completed her PhD in just under four years in the lab of Jennifer Doudna, the mother of CRISPR. Janice's project and use of this technology in the company she co-founded are going to be hugely impactful.

DreamSkates

He is being who he wants to be on the ice. He has never come out with sparkles or anything ornate. And with his point totals, who cares!:cheer2:

Fiero425

This is one time I may watch both the short and long several times to get over the shocking scores!

:sasha1: I was going to wait until tonight to see on Cable! Just checked out Trusova's FS on You Tube! She's just amazing and I can't wait for her to grow into a champion! Her Quads are awe inspiring; no Flutz like "Tara & Emily" from generations past with her! She's quite impressive as is! She almost had 100 points in the Technical score alone! :sasha1:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Fan cam of FS:

ETA:

NBC Sports' video of his SP (British Eurosport's Chris Howarth was the commentator for the world feed):

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Even if Hanyu had landed everything in both of his programs, he wouldn't have caught up to Chen. I imagine this was his and Raf's plan. Not show everything at the beginning of the season. Hanyu did, put it all out there, threw it down. Also, Hanyu looked completely spent (exhausted) at the end of his LP, Chen look the usual tired.
I am a supporter of Hanyu and respect all he has accomplished to this point in time, and who knows what he'll be able to do in the future. But being the one to beat, he has his major rival now surpassing him.
Just when you think Chen has earned his highest points possible for a program, he ups his game. Incredible.

Not sure if this would be too insane to suggest, but wonder if Nathan could change his last 3L3T to a 4L3T if he had to.

SkateFanBerlin

I wonder if he should take a year off. Less wear and tear on the body and spirit. He can have a year focused on school.

Why compete? He's a great competitor. He is disciplined and with Raf he can continue to add new technical content. He doesn't seem like a guy who would fall behind. It''s not so great for the fans but maybe better for him; come back fall of 2021.

meer

Hanyu would cry if he took a year off lol. I honestly think he's finally hitting a grove and elevating himself into yet another level. Can't imagine him taking time off. He also seems to love competing.

I think he can still go higher too point wise. His mentioned his stamina isn't the best right now and was worn out by the end of the program, which I couldn't tell at all, and that he needs to work on it, so I guess he could still add some new things and of course improve on some landings.

Raf also keeps talking about other things he's working on that he's not sharing. I guess we won't know about that for awhile though.

Fiero425

Hanyu would cry if he took a year off lol. I honestly think he's finally hitting a grove and elevating himself into yet another level. Can't imagine him taking time off. He also seems to love competing.

I think he can still go higher too point wise. His mentioned his stamina isn't the best right now and was worn out by the end of the program, which I couldn't tell at all, and that he needs to work on it, so I guess he could still add some new things and of course improve on some landings.

Raf also keeps talking about other things he's working on that he's not sharing. I guess we won't know about that for awhile though.

Hanyu looked "gassed" to me pushing himself to do more technically! He's not getting any younger and can only skate for so long being pushed by this next generation of kids; esp. on the ladies' side of things! I hope Chen won't turn out like past greats Browning, Orser, Stojko, & Chan winning Worlds, but runner-up @ Olympics again and again! Nathan actually won the LP this past Games, but his SP so awful he didn't medal at all! :judge:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Meryl Davis interviewed Nathan in Torino for the Olympic Channel (not yet online):
"... Youā€™ve heard me say it many times, but Iā€™ll say it again: Nathan is such a stellar example for young (and not so young) people everywhere. Success and accolades are lovely, but remaining humble and kind will always be more important. "
:)

DreamSkates

Hanyu looked "gassed" to me pushing himself to do more technically! He's not getting any younger and can only skate for so long being pushed by this next generation of kids; esp. on the ladies' side of things! I hope Chen won't turn out like past greats Browning, Orser, Stojko, & Chan winning Worlds, but runner-up @ Olympics again and again! Nathan actually won the LP this past Games, but his SP so awful he didn't medal at all! :judge:
According to Raf (an interview - somewhere posted in fsu), Nathan decided to follow his mother's advice on the day of his SP, instead of what Raf advised him to include for jumps in his SP, which is what he had practiced. Nathan called Raf early the morning of the SP and told him what he was going to do. Raf said he knew Nathan would not do well - Raf knew what the pressure was like, competing at the Olympics. And Raf was right. Had Nathan followed the advice of his coach, he would have had a great SP, and likely been Olympic champion. After that fiasco, Nathan's mother doesn't follow him to the competitions.

Sylvia

TBD
Machine translation of Rafael's quotes in the Russian article:
"Everyone asks me: how do you train him on Skype? So I do not train him on Skype,ā€ Arutyunyan said. ā€œThe fact is that I taught him how to train. I didnā€™t train him, but taught him how to train. and in what order."
"So now he shows the same thing that he has been able to do for a long time. We are progressing in training, but not yet showing everything. In training, Nathan shows even more serious things, but they are hidden from prying eyes. They are in our pocket," added the coach.
ā€œItā€™s another matter if I didnā€™t do it with him for ten days a month or two, but every day, then, of course, progress would be completely different. Would we get 350 points? I donā€™t know how much. I donā€™t track this math, but Iā€™m just doing my job stably. We learned this from him - namely stability in work. And we learn new things. But when it is necessary to get this new out of pocket, we will get it, "summed up Arutyunyan.

bcash

Loved the sense of freedom in that exhibition program. A competition program that can somehow preserve as much of that while incorporating the tech content and follow the rules would be the perfect program for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information