2019/2020 Russian National Competitions

DobrinFan

Rukhin withdrawal means no nationals. Apparently he was there. Actually he was, because he was at the boards during Danielian's SP jumping rope.

ETA: They said he got sick and Dudakov had him removed.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Well, seems like Rukhin withdrew 🤷‍♂️
Makes things a bit easier for the rest. Kinda odd though, wenn one of the cup-winners won't skate at nationals, hm.
People said it is either a cold or a flu. He was at the rink initially, people saw him, they say.

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, federation may give him a pass. In the past the federation sometimes added someone who is supposed to be deserving and from whatever reason couldn’t qualify.

J

Jeschke

Well, federation may give him a pass. In the past the federation sometimes added someone who is supposed to be deserving and from whatever reason couldn’t qualify.
And increase the numbers?
I am fine with Kolyada and Z/E ending up with wildcards; a junior skater who did not even end up on JGP podium this season, should not be considered for a wildcard for senior nationals.
I am sorry for the kid though 🤷🏼‍♂️

hanca

Values her privacy
I am fine with Kolyada and Z/E ending up with wildcards; a junior skater who did not even end up on JGP podium this season, should not be considered for a wildcard for senior nationals.
No, when they gave someone a spot by their own decision, they don’t increase the numbers. They usually cut it from the bottom. The numbers are done so that it is three warm up groups. So they can’t have 19 instead of 18 men or ladies, or 16 instead of 15 dance couples, or 13 pairs.

DobrinFan

Yeah, they are not going to increase any numbers just bump someone off who rightfully earned their way there. For titled skaters it's understandable but not for Rukhin 🤷‍♀️ Sorry kid.

J

Jeschke

Samoilov.
A classic Volchkova-skater. 4lz, :gallopin1-mid 2x 3-3 to end :rofl:
The 'Ghost' program is so good for him, one of my guilty-pleasures this season.
This was messy, but who cares, whoever needs to be diched for CS CRO, ditch! That guy needs a CS. If he's on, he can slay big time.
Totally love him.

Volchkova angry mid-program-screaming at the boards is everthing :love:
Seeing Kurbanov as her minion is alongside in the knc is a kinda treat too.

Sviridenko.
I have no words. So good. It's a shame he s getting nowhere outside RUS :drama:
WIN :40beers:

Last edited by a moderator:

DobrinFan

I like Artur, but I will never understand his logic. Never landed a quad in the free but hey, lets try 2. WHY?

And someone should tell him to stop putting combinations on that flip(e) :wall:

J

Jeschke

Qualifiers to Russian Nationals

Men (18)

Qualified due GP or JGPF (10; in alphabetic order)
Dmitri Aliev
Petr Gumennik
Makar Ignatov
Mikhail Kolyada*
Andrei Lazukin
Andrei Mozaelv
Alexander Samarin
Roman Savosin
Anton Shulepov
Sergei Voronov

Qualified due Russian Cup Series (8; in order of ranking)
Artur Danielian
Vladimir Samoilov
Leonid Sviridenko
Egor Murashov
Andrei Zuber
Alexander Petrov
Ilya Yablokov
Gleb Lutfullin
---
Vladislav Katichev
Andrey Rud
Daniil Murzin

*estimated 'bye' if healthy

DobrinFan

Men (18)

Qualified due GP or JGPF (10; in alphabetic order)
Dmitri Aliev
Petr Gumennik
Makar Ignatov
Mikhail Kolyada*
Andrei Lazukin
Andrei Mozaelv
Alexander Samarin
Roman Savosin
Anton Shulepov
Sergei Voronov

Qualified due Russian Cup Series (8; in order of ranking)
Artur Danielian
Vladimir Samoilov
Leonid Sviridenko
Egor Murashov
Andrei Zuber
Alexander Petrov
Ilya Yablokov
Gleb Lutfullin
---
Vladislav Katichev
Andrey Rud
Daniil Murzin

*estimated 'bye' if healthy

Congrats to all the guys! Good luck to them at Nationals!!!

ETA: by the way, no videos?

DobrinFan

I was confused too. No uploads so far 🤷‍♂️

Well I have the Senior Men SP (the ones the feed didn't eat) and the last 2 groups of Junior Men from today and I will have to check when I get home but should have both groups of Senior men. I can upload them later.

Of course, I did post Danielian's SP last night 🤭

J

Jeschke

J

Jeschke

I really wish they’d gotten an opportunity for a second JGP, they deserved it.
Well, based on their one outing (in comparison to the others), they didn't.
Based on the potential and skills, so much!

oleada

Well, based on their one outing (in comparison to the others), they didn't.
Based on the potential and skills, so much!
They scored higher than Schlegova/Kalashnikov did at their first event, and both teams finished fourth. So I didn’t get why S/K got the second event and not V/B :(

hanca

Values her privacy
I love that SP. I really wish they’d gotten an opportunity for a second JGP, they deserved it.
Deserved it? Are you sure? I think there are other junior pairs that deserved it more. Balabanova/Sviatchenko, Sobinina/Volodin...

oleada

Deserved it? Are you sure? I think there are other junior pairs that deserved it more. Balabanova/Sviatchenko, Sobinina/Volodin...
Who were not listed as alternates at the time and were therefore not going to be picked. It came down to Schlegova/Kalashnikov and Vislobokova/Briukhanov for that last spot and the latter are way better than the former, sorry.

hanca

Values her privacy
Who were not listed as alternates at the time and were therefore not going to be picked. It came down to Schlegova/Kalashnikov and Vislobokova/Briukhanov for that last spot and the latter are way better than the former, sorry.
Yes, I know they were not listed as alternates, but my point is they should have been. It is not as if Volodin or Sviatchenko are unknown to the Russian federation. Have you noticed that in ice dance newly created couples were given a chance to compete at JGP, and yet in ice dance it takes much longer to push through to the top than in pairs. When you have a new pair, if they have the elements, they have a chance to win the competition, which is very rare in ice dance because it takes much longer to gel together. Both Sviatchenko and Volodin competed from the beginning of the season, which means they would have been ready to show their skating even a week or two earlier at the test skate. (Or at least as ready as the other pairs who were invited). And yet the federation did not think they should be invited. Now they are scoring higher than the majority of the skaters who did compete in JGP events.

oleada

I can’t speak for the Russian fed but I think their situation in ice dance was a bit unique with their top 3 teams not returning for the JGP this year:

Ushakova/Nekrasov - injured
Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov - split
Shevchenko/Eremenko - moved up

Additionally, Andreeva/Desyatov who had two events last year and were originally assigned to two this year withdrew late due to injury and at least one spot went without being used due to it. Khavronina/Ciriziano who were also among the initial assignments also withdrew and only recently started competing in Russia Cup, so it’s pretty safe to assume that they were injured. So that’s at least 4 teams that are out, likely 5. The Russian junior dance bench is deep but it’s not as deep as pairs, so there’s a lot more room for new teams to go out on the circuit.

Khudaiberdieva/Filatov were the first new team to get assigned to an event right away and her resume (curren JGPF and JW medalist) is a lot more impressive than anything Sviatchenko or Volodin have ever done.

The other 2 new teams were all assigned to later assignments, when it was clear that the injured teams wouldn’t be ready. Zhukov/Karpov (JGP#4, as the 3rd team); and Lizunova/Vakhnov (JGP#6).

So maybe the Russian fed should’ve been more aware of Sviatchenko and Volodin, but neither of them is Khudaiberdieva and there were a lot more opportunities for lower ranked teams in dance to get out there this year.

hanca

Values her privacy
I can’t speak for the Russian fed but I think their situation in ice dance was a bit unique with their top 3 teams not returning for the JGP this year:

Ushakova/Nekrasov - injured
Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov - split
Shevchenko/Eremenko - moved up

Additionally, Andreeva/Desyatov who had two events last year and were originally assigned to two this year withdrew late due to injury and at least one spot went without being used due to it. Khavronina/Ciriziano who were also among the initial assignments also withdrew and only recently started competing in Russia Cup, so it’s pretty safe to assume that they were injured. So that’s at least 4 teams that are out, likely 5. The Russian junior dance bench is deep but it’s not as deep as pairs, so there’s a lot more room for new teams to go out on the circuit.

Khudaiberdieva/Filatov were the first new team to get assigned to an event right away and her resume (curren JGPF and JW medalist) is a lot more impressive than anything Sviatchenko or Volodin have ever done.

The other 2 new teams were all assigned to later assignments, when it was clear that the injured teams wouldn’t be ready. Zhukov/Karpov (JGP#4, as the 3rd team); and Lizunova/Vakhnov (JGP#6).

So maybe the Russian fed should’ve been more aware of Sviatchenko and Volodin, but neither of them is Khudaiberdieva and there were a lot more opportunities for lower ranked teams in dance to get out there this year.
I know what you are saying about Sviatchenko and Volodin not being Khubardieva, but their results from this season speak volumes. For example, Balabanova/Sviatchenko attended four competitions this season. The first one they scored only 157, but from them on it was 194, 186, 186. That’s pretty consistent and very decent scores for a junior pair. And especially for a newly created pair. Next season both Sviatchenko and Volodin age out of juniors. I think the federation should have supported them more. It seems to me that the federation is always a year or two behind in deciding who is good and who they should support. (The only problem is that by then the pairs who deserved it before may be struggling and repeatedly getting undeserved benefit of doubt, whereas the ones that are good at that time are being overlooked.)

oleada

None of those scores (aside from the first, which was the lowest and not impressive) were obtained in time to get a JGP event. I get your point, but it's not like the skaters who were on the JGP didn't deserve a second assignment, given that Russia swept both of the first two pairs events. I do hope Russia does a better job in assigning senior Bs next year for these teams.

hanca

Values her privacy
None of those scores (aside from the first, which was the lowest and not impressive) were obtained in time to get a JGP event. I get your point, but it's not like the skaters who were on the JGP didn't deserve a second assignment, given that Russia swept both of the first two pairs events. I do hope Russia does a better job in assigning senior Bs next year for these teams.
I disagree. I think everyone who placed worse than second did not deserve the second spot. No point celebrating fourth places (or even third place if the field is weak). If I was making the decision, I would probably do it not only about the placement, but take into consideration their scores. Anyone scoring under 170 would not get second event. The outcome would be that there would be only four Russian pairs in JGPF, but I don’t think the Russian federation is that bothered about Russian pair getting fifth or sixth place at JGPF anyway. On the other hand, the advantage would be that more pairs would be able to get their chance. One never knows which new pair will surprise us. Like Artemeva/Nazarychev.

DobrinFan

Senior Men SP
Sviridenko

Lezheev

Danielian

Senior Men FP
Petrov

Lezheev

Lutfullin

Sviridenko

Samoilov

Danielian

Junior Men FP
Kunitsa

Kovalev

Lukin

Belyavsky

Polianskii

Dikiji

Knyazev

Amy L

I have the Russian Cup Jr pairs LP on simultaneously as the NHK men (because apparently I want to punish myself). I just saw one of the scariest falls on a lift ever. The pair, Zhavoronkova/Dmitriev, who I never heard of before but look super duper young are from the Ekaterinburg area. They completely collapsed and she bellyflopped HARD on the ice. :yikes:They managed to finish the program but he sat in the kiss and cry alone, presumably because the coach was with the girl getting checked out by the team doctor. As much as I love pairs, it is a reality check to realize that all the senior pairs I love started as little baby-faced kids that survived all the wonky lifts and horrorsplats.

Amy L

Mukhametzianova/Mironov wd from juniors. Petushkova/Malikov, Mukhortova/Evgeniev, Kuzmina/Khvalko top 3. Vislobokova/Briukhanov messy as hell and dropped to 4th.

Pavliuchenko/Khodykin wd in seniors.

Amy L

Buzaeva/Rakhmanin were Harley Quinn/The Joker in the SP and Dexter in the LP. Are they like ... mentally okay? :lol: Rakhmanin didn't show up to the kiss and cry and Buzaeva stormed out when the marks came up. Then the coaches took her place to look at the monitor :lol: Not sure what happened because I missed their performance.

J

Jeschke

Pairs (12)

Qualified due GP or JGPF (12; in alphabetic order)
Kseniia Akhanteva / Valerii Kolesov*
Iuliia Artemeva / Mikhail Nazarychev*
Aleksandra Boikova / Dmitritt Kozlovskii
Alisa Efimova / Alexander Korovin
Anastasia Mishina / Aleksandr Galliamov
Diana Mukhametzianova / Ilya Mironov*
Apollinariia Panfilova /Dmitry Rylov*
Daria Pavliuchenko / Denis Khodykin
Alina Pepeleva / Roman Pleshkov*
Ksenia Stolbova / Andrei Novoselov
Evgenia Tarasova / Vladimir Morozov
Natalia Zabiiako / Alexander Enbert**

Substitues (in order of Russian Cup qualification ranking)
Anastasia Balabanova / Alexei Sviatchenko
Taisia Sobinina / Nikita Volodin
Polina Kostiukovich / Dmitrii Ialin
Ekaterina Belova / Dimitry Chigirev
Lina Kudriavtsteva / Ilia Spiridonov
Karina Akapova / Maksim Shagalov

* qualified due JGPF; not sure all have senior free skates; A/N, P/P already have shown senior programs this season; A/K and P/R have skated senior nationals last season alredy
** estimated 'bye' if healthy

I pray to all skating gods, RUS fed increases the field to 16 pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information