NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
One more thing... you can, and should, delete the NBC Sports Gold app from your streaming devices. All of its functionality has been moved to the NBC Sports app.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Ouch. Can you try a different browser or device? If that doesn’t work, are you ok with deleting cookies? Just find all the ones associated with nbcsports and nuke em.

The different device worked -- managed to fix it on my laptop. Thanks so much!

sk8pics

So, I have Xfinity, and a smart Samsung TV (although it is 4 or 5 years old). I can tell the remote “NBC Sports App” and I just get a screen explaining what it is, but no way to play it. And if I go out to the apps section of the Samsung TV, it does not have the NBC Sports app, and I’m not sure about how to add it. I will have to look into it. In the meantime, any words of advice are appreciated.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
So, I have Xfinity, and a smart Samsung TV (although it is 4 or 5 years old). I can tell the remote “NBC Sports App” and I just get a screen explaining what it is, but no way to play it. And if I go out to the apps section of the Samsung TV, it does not have the NBC Sports app, and I’m not sure about how to add it. I will have to look into it. In the meantime, any words of advice are appreciated.
Do you have NBC sports network in your Xfinity package? If so, the first time you go to the page, you need to register your TV. There should be a web link. Enter it on your computer or phone and follow the instructions. You'll get a text message code. Enter that on your TV and you should be good to go. It won't just play until you get the code.

sk8pics

Do you have NBC sports network in your Xfinity package? If so, the first time you go to the page, you need to register your TV. There should be a web link. Enter it on your computer or phone and follow the instructions. You'll get a text message code. Enter that on your TV and you should be good to go. It won't just play until you get the code.
Yes, I do have NBC sports network. What page? I'm sorry, I'm confused, probably due to lack of sleep... There was no way to enter anything on the TV/xfinity screen for NBC sports app...

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes, I do have NBC sports network. What page? I'm sorry, I'm confused, probably due to lack of sleep... There was no way to enter anything on the TV/xfinity screen for NBC sports app...
On your TV screen for the app, there should be information on how to register your device. I'm trying to remember exactly what I did, but there was a web address. I logged onto it followed instructions on what type of device and received a code as a text message. I've already registered and now I can't get back to the original instructions. Sorry. Look back through the thread and see if somebody else posted the info. I know several of us have done this.

Aceon6

@Aceon6 or @PRlady might remember what to do. Maybe they'll answer and help.
@sk8pics Are you talking about nbcsports.com/activate?
Open the app on the TV and log in
A screen will pop up telling you to go to nbcsports.com/activate on your phone, tablet or PC. The screen has a code on it.
In a regular browser, select your device and enter the code.
The app screen will automagically refresh and you’ll be good to go.

sk8pics

So I am all set. I had not even noticed before the choice of Apps from my Xfinity screen. When I picked it, I saw NBC Sports Gold. So I went and bought the subscription, went to the app on Xfinity, and followed the instructions. I was confused before when people were mentioning their smart TV, and having to activate their TV. I activated the app on xfinity, and it worked like a charm. (I do have apps on my Samsung TV, too, but it is harder to deal with.)

Thanks all!

emilieh

I just activated the NBC Sports Gold app on my TV (Xfinity). It says the Rhythm Dance will start at 6pm. On my computer on NBC Sports Gold, it says 11am. Is there no live streaming on the TV app?

annie720

give
I just activated the NBC Sports Gold app on my TV (Xfinity). It says the Rhythm Dance will start at 6pm. On my computer on NBC Sports Gold, it says 11am. Is there no live streaming on the TV app?

I just brought mine up on Xfinity to check and yes, it says the same thing. I think it's just an error. It's listed first of all the competitions and the others have the correct time, and I watched part of Skate America streaming on Xfinity. Also, like you, when I bring it up on my laptop, it gives the correct time for RD.

emilieh

I just brought mine up on Xfinity to check and yes, it says the same thing. I think it's just an error. It's listed first of all the competitions and the others have the correct time, and I watched part of Skate America streaming on Xfinity. Also, like you, when I bring it up on my laptop, it gives the correct time for RD.

yep, looks like it was just a typo with the time. it's fixed now.

zigzig

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I'm thinking an NBC Sports Gold subscription. I'll be watching most of the events on replay and was wondering if, when you log on to the homepage if there are spoilers that you hit (i.e. news blurbs and stuff) before you event get to the videos?

LeafOnTheWind

Sorry if this has already been discussed - I'm thinking an NBC Sports Gold subscription. I'll be watching most of the events on replay and was wondering if, when you log on to the homepage if there are spoilers that you hit (i.e. news blurbs and stuff) before you event get to the videos?

Nope. Just go to the replays and find your video. :)

firstflight

I noticed that the Skating ISU youtube channel has made the videos of the top 3 finishers in each phase from Skate Canada available for American viewers. In every other channel, NBC Universal has managed to knock the vids away.

Does anyone know why the Skate Canada vids are available? If they keep this up for the rest of the GP events, I may avoid purchasing the NBC Sport Gold skating package.

gatorinfl

I noticed that the Skating ISU youtube channel has made the videos of the top 3 finishers in each phase from Skate Canada available for American viewers. In every other channel, NBC Universal has managed to knock the vids away.

Does anyone know why the Skate Canada vids are available? If they keep this up for the rest of the GP events, I may avoid purchasing the NBC Sport Gold skating package.
I also saw the ISU videos this morning and notice that it isn’t just the top 3. There are videos of each of the full competitions including the complete gala. I’m in the same situation with NBC Gold. I bought it last year but really did not want to spend the $60 this year. So I hope that the ISU videos become “Un-Geoblocked” after each of the rest of the season’s events.

firstflight

I also saw the ISU videos this morning and notice that it isn’t just the top 3. There are videos of each of the full competitions including the complete gala. I’m in the same situation with NBC Gold. I bought it last year but really did not want to spend the $60 this year. So I hope that the ISU videos become “Un-Geoblocked” after each of the rest of the season’s events.

The full event vids are still geoblocked for me.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
One more thing... you can, and should, delete the NBC Sports Gold app from your streaming devices. All of its functionality has been moved to the NBC Sports app.
We have the NBC Sports app on our PS4 and I could not find figure skating on it anywhere. And the website still says to download the NBC Sports Gold app.

I just signed up today and am trying to get it all set up and am very frustrated! :lol:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I could swear I signed up for and downloaded the Sports Gold app. But now I have the NBC Sports app. Which says I need a Sports Gold figure skating pass. Which I know I already have but it isn't recognizing.

I was not made for the age of technology.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I feel your pain. And I'm in high tech! The problem is there are too many choices and too many different ways of doing things.

I do have Skate Canada streaming on my big tv now. There was an NBC Sports Gold app already installed on the TV and that worked. I suspect it's things like your phone and tablet that don't use that app anymore. I haven't tried to watch figure skating on my phone (and probably won't) so I haven't had to deal with that yet.

Also, I just saw Hello, Dolly on the stage a few months ago and this RD by Hurtado/Khaliavin is not doing it for me!!

Aceon6

Yes, it’s confusing.

The mobile device app is NBC Sports. The icon has a black background.
WITHIN the app, you navigate to Gold (2nd option in the top bar)
Once in Gold, you can filter for figure skating by selecting Live & Upcoming or Replays then scrolling right on the little sport icons until you see the figure skate.

You may need to activate the app. This requires a 2nd device. Follow the app’s onscreen prompts.
Once you activate the app, you sign in.
If you have cable, sign in to NBC Sports using your cable credentials.
Sign in to Gold using your subscription credentials.

Yes, it’s a lot.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So is there a way to fast forward more than 30 seconds at a time? Because when an event freezes halfway through, having to fast forward past the first half you've already watched in 30-second increments is a bit of a pain! (This is for replays. Haven't done anything live yet.)

Aceon6

So is there a way to fast forward more than 30 seconds at a time? Because when an event freezes halfway through, having to fast forward past the first half you've already watched in 30-second increments is a bit of a pain! (This is for replays. Haven't done anything live yet.)
If you’re using the Xfinity app and have a voice remote, try telling it. I use a Fire Stick and can fast forward quite quickly by just holding down the button.

mollymgr

If you hold down the fast forward button, it increases the speed of fast forwarding on your Xfinity remote. It will keep increasing from 1- 5 until it reaches "lightning" which is the fastest.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
If you hold down the fast forward button, it increases the speed of fast forwarding on your Xfinity remote. It will keep increasing from 1- 5 until it reaches "lightning" which is the fastest.
Yeah, it doesn't do that. There is no circle with the FF speed when I press the >> button like I get when I watch a DVRed show. Instead, I see a || (pause) icon and then the feed jumps 30 seconds into the future.

DreamSkates

That's a plus with NBC S G. No spoilers. I still can't get it to stream so watch afterward. They usually post within 1-2 hours and there isn't anything if you don't go past the page that says live events and replays, that gives anything away.
I was disappointed at first with no live streaming with my laptop but, I wouldn't be up at 2 or 3 a.m. to watch live from Russia, China or Japan. And I have just as much enjoyed watching every event, just a little later.

slicekw

Searching for a great dog park.
Just a quick "get started" note for NBC Sports (vs NBC Sports Gold) that may help people reading this thread.

FOR THE ACCOUNT:
To sign up for the NBC Sports Gold Figure Skating access, the best way is to sign up via a browser on a computer (or browser on other device) while on your home network. Once you get that done, log in with the browser and make sure that things work on the browser. Trust me, you don't want to try the TV until you know your account is working properly and the browser is easier.

NOW FOR THE TV:
A Roku box, Roku TV or AppleTV are easier than smartTVs because some of the TVs, particularly the older ones, may not be able to add the NBCSports app (the same with the old AppleTVs). If you want to use the smartTV and can't find the app, go to your TV manufacturer's help pages and see if there's anything to help find/load the app.

Once you have the app on your Roku/AppleTV/smartTV, try to log in. It may work. Most of the time if it doesn't work on the first login, it'll push you to a "verify from another device" screen. It's super-simple, you go to a web page with the browser on your computer or device that you used before (ON the same home network as the TV), and enter a code that it gives you; follow any instructions. From then on, the NBCSports app should work on the TV, Roku or AppleTV.

Does anyone know if the FireTV stick has the latest NBCSports app? I only know Roku and AppleTV for certain, as that's what I have.

Also, if you want to buy a cheap TV to watch skating on, Costco has TCL TVs for insanely cheap prices and they're Roku-enabled and super-easy to work. Also works as a backup monitor for those of us who love to multitask.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Okay, I've Had the NBC Sports App for a couple of years now. The App is on my laptop, and there is no NBC Sports Gold channel available for the NBC Sports App on your PC or laptop. If you have a tablet or iPhone, the NBC Sports App is available to download, and NBC Sports Gold is available to watch on the NBC Sports App through the tablet or iPhone.

With the NBC Sports app on my laptop, I have to sign in using my DirecTV account and password in order to watch NBC or NBC Sports channel, etc. My TV doesn't have an NBC Sports Gold app with DirecTV. So in order to watch NBC Sports Gold, I have to go to the NBC Sports Gold website and sign in there to watch.

If people wish to watch on their TV, they can use an HDMI cable to plug into their TV. My Vizio TV has 2 HDMI ports, and I use the HDMI port that's located on the left side of my TV. An HDMI port would also need to be on the laptop or PC, and my laptop does have an HDMI port that's located beside the regular USB ports. It works pretty well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information