That Figure Skating Show - Presented by CBC. Here's hoping this vlogcast becomes a regular thing.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I believe it is currently scheduled for the GP season. Fun show that is not for everyone :D

Anemone

I went looking for it yesterday but couldn't find it. Hoping to squeeze in some time to watch it this evening.

Enchanted

I was expecting this be fun and interesting but instead I was super bored. They didn't offer any interesting insights. It's very unlikely that I will watch this again and I'm probably in their target group. I'm still missing level headed, fun and witty skating coverage.

Jackie Wong is way too proper and ordinary to be interesting and TSL is way too mean and bitchy.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was expecting this be fun and interesting but instead I was super bored. They didn't offer any interesting insights. It's very unlikely that I will watch this again and I'm probably in their target group. I'm still missing level headed, fun and witty skating coverage.

Jackie Wong is way too proper and ordinary to be interesting and TSL is way too mean and bitchy.

That's a shame, but it got me thinking. Too bad the British Eurosport guys don't do some kind of recap show. Their banter is always clever and on point.

Olympic Ice (a recap show during the Torino Games) was hosted by Mary Carillo (who was an absolute hoot), Dick Button, Scott Hamilton, David Pelletier and Jamie Sale. It was funny and informative at the same time. I think the series is floating around YouTube somewhere.

Last edited:

barbarafan

I liked it ok....wished they were say something and show a shot of all cdn entries after top 3. They only had 12 minutes so they had to breeze through.

aftershocks

Banned Member

I said something similar in the Ice Talk thread (Disneyland vs Darth Vader). However, I don't think Jackie Wong is 'too ordinary to be interesting.' Jackie is far from ordinary, he's extraordinary, exemplary and fantastic as a person and a generous fan of skating. Of course, Jackie is not looking to be overly controversial but he does have a point of view and sometimes interesting insights. If not always interesting, his views are at least knowledgeable. I appreciate what Jackie Wong and Ice Talk bring to the table. And the Ice Desk broadcasts during Nationals and Skate America are lighthearted fun.

There's room at the fs coverage table for all kinds of different views, formats and takes. Dylan and Asher are having quirky, high-spirited fun and that's cool. It's lovely seeing both of them again, and especially Asher. I've missed seeing Asher competing in ice dance for Canada.

I'd love to see more and different types of coverage, including panel discussions and debate formats airing pressing issues in the sport. Jackie and Nick for conventional reviews; Dylan & Asher for out-of-the-ordinary fun; TSL diehards and gluttons for punishment can get their stark diet of Darth Vader and cohort; Fran and IntheLoop for continental Eurocentric takes. Ashley Wagner, Sandra Bezic, Patrick Chan, and Adam Rippon should join up for witty, passionate debate retakes of GP season. :lol: Although Adam is probably too busy with other pursuits and not that interested in tying his broader ambitions to a figure skating coverage podcast.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Player's Own Voice podcast hosted by Anastasia Bucsis:
Act two for Dylan Moscovitch
Dylan Moscovitch enjoyed a long and storied career as a pairs figure skater, but he's in his early thirties now, and even though he's still a young man, he knew two years ago that he was done with competition. So Dylan did some reflecting: he had spent half a lifetime learning how to be an elite athlete. What could he do with those hard-won skills in act two of his life? Physical performance? Check. Ability to memorize, rehearse and sell gestures and moods? Check. He was comfortable in front of audiences and clusters of judges. He figured it out pretty quickly- he had nailed most of the core skills for professional acting. But as he says to host Anastasia Bucsis, there was an unexpected wrinkle. Athletes are trained to perform with confidence, while actors need to perform with vulnerability. How do you learn that? Reinventing yourself is what it's all about on this week's podcast.
Download Act two for Dylan Moscovitch
[mp3 file: runs 00:30:30]

Rock2

I love these guys! Thank you, CBC.

These two guys are great and had a few funny moments. But in order to get traction longer term, they'll have to think about why people might watch them. To me it would have to be one of:

Is it to learn something about the skating or event?
Is it to enjoy their humor and chemistry?
Is it to get inside info?

I don't think they are driving too hard or too well in any of these directions...yet. More of a light dusting of all three. Not enough to keep an audience unless they themselves have such a core of fans who will watch whatever they do.

These things aren't perfected on Day 1 so the concept needs to be shaped and given a direction.

There's a chance I'll never watch again because for some reason I can't tolerate Asher's incessant chuckling. It distracted me from his very good commentary when he did an event last year online, maybe Canadian nationals (?) as well and I'm similarly irritated by it here. Ah well....

Desperado

I quit watching after the ridiculous disguises came up. It felt too “frat boys” to me so I’m not their target market. Too bad because I enjoyed Dylan’s commenting before.

litenkyckling

I'm still missing level headed, fun and witty skating coverage.

Flutzes & Waxels podcast is always the way to go for me, knowledgeable and technical without being exclusive, fun without being snarky, and their analysis is always great. Plus they have an episode for each discipline and they tend to talk about most of the skaters as opposed to just the medalists.

barbarafan

Flutzes & Waxels podcast is always the way to go for me, knowledgeable and technical without being exclusive, fun without being snarky, and their analysis is always great. Plus they have an episode for each discipline and they tend to talk about most of the skaters as opposed to just the medalists.
do you have a link?

Sylvia

TBD
I enjoyed listening to Elladj Balde, Kevin Reynolds, and guests Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier discuss the results from all the events on Saturday:

ETA:

Final "Inside Edge" today (Sunday):

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm so jealous of Elladj's, Kevin's and Paul's fabulous curls. Nice to see Reynolds again, too.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Maybe the Skate Canada show will be unblocked later since the Skate America show is not geoblocked.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The Skate Canada International show is still geoblocked for me but the Internationaux de France show plays:

Playlist of all THAT FIGURE SKATING SHOW videos so far:

Sylvia

TBD
NHK Trophy show:

Rostelecom Cup show:

Cup of China show:

Sylvia

TBD
Dylan & Asher are back! :D

Oct. 25, 2020:

Oct. 21, 2020:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Olympic Ice (a recap show during the Torino Games) was hosted by Mary Carillo (who was an absolute hoot), Dick Button, Scott Hamilton, David Pelletier and Jamie Sale. It was funny and informative at the same time. I think the series is floating around YouTube somewhere.

I DVR’d all Olympic Ice episodes and treasure them. So great! I loved “Moskvina Minute” towards the end of each show. AND “Push Dick’s Button”! 😆

NBC tried doing something similar for Vancouver 2010 but it fell flat, as it was filmed in a studio instead of in or around the rink venue. Boo!

Sylvia

TBD
Here are the competitions Dylan & Asher have recapped since this thread was last updated (links to their other recent shows were posted in relevant threads):

Cup of China (Nov. 8):

Russian Cup series (Nov. 18):

Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 22):

NHK Trophy (Nov. 29):

Blair

I gotta admit I’m loving Asher and Dylan’s show. There’s something about being funny, experts, (good looking), and not trying too hard.

Seeing their videos posted makes my day.

mjb52

They are great. They know how to be critical without being cruel, I don't agree with them at all on some things but for the most part I find them fair and they're both obviously intelligent and passionate about the sport. Dylan's rant on music was really amusing because I think it's the one thing that a lot of us find hardest to understand. I think fans (and maybe judges?) need to be accountable for our own role though - we can be so vicious to skaters when they make a bad music choice and that may be part of why they are nervous about taking chances.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
They’re wonderful & hilarious...but way too brief. I much prefer TSL with Dave & Jonathan because it is a 90+ minute event! It’s such a joy to prepare my tea & snacks every Sunday afternoon, settle into my chaise lounge, and just listen to Dave & Jonathan yak on about the finer points of an event. With Asher & Dylan, I barely get to one macaroon!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information