CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

rdavies

I would be interested in where the posters come from and how, why and who they are watching in this show. If you are a Canadian (and not a died in the wool figure skating fan) you are looking at the hockey players. I think we pre-assume the figure skaters obviously will all be good so who is the best figure skater amongst the hockey players. That's why the Katia comments annoy me.

rdavies

On second watch, I have to give the very slightest of edge to shelly over my beloved spoon again. I keep expecting Bruno to be more emotive and he still hasn't really brought it, good skater but he doesn't sell it as well as he could.

Unless disaster befalls, Shel deserves to win this, but there's still a ways to go.

rdavies

Performance #4: Natalie & Andrew, Playing up their (pretty good) chemistry
Coming from a guy so dense that girls used to have to hit him on the head with a club to let him know they were interested, but are these two sweet on each other? Time will tell. Sometimes even the densest dudes can detect a few little things, kinda like M-F tonight, something not right there.

Parsley Sage

Coming from a guy so dense that girls used to have to hit him on the head with a club to let him know they were interested, but are these two sweet on each other? Time will tell. Sometimes even the densest dudes can detect a few little things, kinda like M-F tonight, something not right there.

Natalie is engaged.

puglover

Who cares if it is "Canadian cheese" according to The Skating Lesson, I love this show. I am not a hockey fan myself but I have certainly lived half of my life with Ron McLean's enthusiastic voice playing in the background. I love watching hockey players allow themselves to be vulnerable and marvel at the dangerous elements they go for. I think it does a lot for the non figure skating fans to see the differences and hopefully realize the skill set they possess. And everyone seems so genuine and likable and like they are having fun.

liv

Of course this is cheese, but who cares? It's just a really fun show. They are really working hard and doing things they've never done on ice that put them outside their comfort zones.. I"ll always remember the comment from years ago from one of the hockey players " I put my hand, where????"

Performance #7: Ekaterina & Bruno
Music: "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran

Uh, I don't think that music fits the theme. Just because it's acoustic ā‰  country. That aside, much more natural and fluid than Vanessa & Bryan. Should comfortably win.

Scores: 5.8, 5.9, 5.8.
My thoughts exactly, how the heck was that considered a "country" song?

rdavies

lol of course Skating Lesson are the fun police. When do they ever have a positive thing to say anyway? How expected and how boring.
And totally off the mark. If you are going to review you might want to know a little more about half the participants (the hockey players). Lots of catty like drivel like some of the stuff I posted jokingly above. Seriously, do they know this is a Canadian TV show made for the Canadian market? This Katia fawning is seriously lame, it's about the hockey players folks.

They called Sheldon Kennedy big, a little research and they would know when he played he was about the same size as the spoon (5' 10" 170 lbs is a puny male hockey player). Anyway, like the proverbial car wreck I felt compelled to watch it and catalog the BS. Their review was about as good as the worst hockey player's skate.

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I pretty much never listen to TSL. Makes me cringe. Anyway I started listening to what they had to say about BOTB and realised in about a minute that I'm not remotely interested in their opinion. Who are they anyway? (Rhetorical question LOL)

honey

I take less issue with then saying itā€™s cheese (which, yes it is, but good cheese) than with them claiming that Canadians only want their own to win while Americans ā€œwant the best to winā€. I about did a spit take when I heard that.

I think they also totally missed the piece of the puzzle here in that the hockey playersā€™ level of fame can greatly influence voting. Tie Domi would have been gone long before he was if this was supposed to be based on who can skate best. I donā€™t know what current numbers look like, but I seem to remember in the early seasons it was pretty much a 50/50 split in terms of hockey and skating fans watching.

rdavies

I take less issue with then saying itā€™s cheese (which, yes it is, but good cheese) than with them claiming that Canadians only want their own to win while Americans ā€œwant the best to winā€. I about did a spit take when I heard that.
Pretty ironic they talked about Bianca but neglected to mention the rabid pro USA crowd at the US Open. Which is totally fine, that's the way it's supposed to be, cheer on the home team.

starrynight

I think they also totally missed the piece of the puzzle here in that the hockey playersā€™ level of fame can greatly influence voting.

I'm not from North America so I can't comment on the level of fame of the hockey players.

But I'm just imagining in my country if we had something similar and (for comparison with popular sports) Rugby League players were participating - I can think of some very popular players who would last a long time on the show even if they were crawling around on the ice LOL.

It's the same as shows like Dancing with the Stars - there are very popular and engaging celebrities that people want to continue watching.

If it was just about skating, then that's what the Grand Prix series etc is for.

jenniferlyon

Who cares if it is "Canadian cheese" according to The Skating Lesson, I love this show. I am not a hockey fan myself but I have certainly lived half of my life with Ron McLean's enthusiastic voice playing in the background. I love watching hockey players allow themselves to be vulnerable and marvel at the dangerous elements they go for. I think it does a lot for the non figure skating fans to see the differences and hopefully realize the skill set they possess. And everyone seems so genuine and likable and like they are having fun.

It's damn good cheese! Besides, the skaters and the hockey players are raising money for their favorite charities, so that's another reason to like BOTB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information