Canadian Ice Dance 2019/2020 season: News and Updates

barbarafan

Do we have any ice dance spots left on GP not assigned? Has anyone heard anything of Fabbri/Ayer assigned to any of the B's?. I think they really gave strong performances at Championats Quebec and feel they should be assigned some kind of international to get their mins and expose them to senior international judges.

Colonel Green

Do we have any ice dance spots left on GP not assigned? Has anyone heard anything of Fabbri/Ayer assigned to any of the B's?
They would only have been eligible for an SCI host spot on the Grand Prix, and those went to Marjorie & Zach and Haley & Nikolas.

Going off their events page, Skate Canada plans to send people to Finlandia and the Warsaw Cup, so Alicia & Paul could be assigned to one of those.

barbarafan

They would only have been eligible for an SCI host spot on the Grand Prix, and those went to Marjorie & Zach and Haley & Nikolas.

Going off their events page, Skate Canada plans to send people to Finlandia and the Warsaw Cup, so Alicia & Paul could be assigned to one of those.
Thank-you...I hope you are right

Colonel Green

This could be an error (though if so, it's weird it hasn't been corrected), but RusFed's press release regarding Lake Placid seems to suggest that Andreeva/Desyatov have withdrawn and aren't being replaced. We'll have to wait for the publication of the start orders to see if it's confirmed, but if so, that's a wide open door for one of our teams to get a medal.

RoseRed

This could be an error (though if so, it's weird it hasn't been corrected), but RusFed's press release regarding Lake Placid seems to suggest that Andreeva/Desyatov have withdrawn and aren't being replaced. We'll have to wait for the publication of the start orders to see if it's confirmed, but if so, that's a wide open door for one of our teams to get a medal.
It also only lists one lady, so I would guess just an error.

RoseRed

Subsequently, there's been official confirmation that it's not an error. They've been removed from the ISU event listings.
Likely no subs since it's too close to the event, especially with the difficulty of getting visas to the USA.

Colonel Green

For the second week in a row, a Canadian team walks away with the dreaded pewter medal, but I think Miku and Tyler will probably look at this much more positively than Emmy and Aissa did. They clearly weren't "supposed" to be on the podium here, and seized the opportunity caused by so many flameouts to come within a whisker of a medal. The twizzle cost them the bronze, but they've put themselves on the map internationally; you could see that even in the difference in the GOE they were getting in the RD compared to the FD.

Sigh, this was a tough one for Irina and Grayson. I kind of get the sense that mistakes tend to spiral with them.

puglover

Lots to like about these junior teams. I know, I always say this, but I really enjoy Carol Lane and company's teams. Perhaps it comes from hours and hours of watching dance tests but I find their approach different and refreshing. I find myself smiling while they skate - errors or not.

Dobre

So close to the bronze for Makita & Gunara here! Less than half a point off the podium, and 21.83 points higher than at their JGP event in Canada last season! They are working on breaking through in the junior ranks, and really did such a nice job at that here. Last year they had level basic on both patterns, which pretty much killed their momentum (and that was before the junior patterns started getting hit hard like the seniors). Here M&G earned two level 3s on the foxtrot pattern. It was a great opportunity all right, with Andreeva & Desyatov pulling out; and so close to make the foot down on the twizzles frustrating. But the first time M&G have been in this situation, and they demonstrated that they were capable of making this podium. All part of the process of breaking through. Proud of them at this event.

Colonel Green

How long can we keep the pewter streak going? :lol:

Natalie and Bruce did pretty well considering they didn't do any summer competition free dances (they haven't said, but I'm pretty sure Bruce had some kind of injury that delayed their training). Natalie's twizzles were the main problem, but there was also a level issue on their stationary lift in both programs that I imagine is a design problem; presumably they'll retool that in time for Italy.

Isabel and Jacob did okay. It's a little odd that the novice bronze medalists got a JGP and the gold and silver medalists didn't

RoseRed

How long can we keep the pewter streak going? :lol:

Natalie and Bruce did pretty well considering they didn't do any summer competition free dances (they haven't said, but I'm pretty sure Bruce had some kind of injury that delayed their training). Natalie's twizzles were the main problem, but there was also a level issue on their stationary lift in both programs that I imagine is a design problem; presumably they'll retool that in time for Italy.

Isabel and Jacob did okay. It's a little odd that the novice bronze medalists got a JGP and the gold and silver medalists didn't
They beat both at Minto. SC seems to have just gone by that.

Dobre

They beat both at Minto. SC seems to have just gone by that.

Yes, I think so. McQuilkin & Portz looked more ready there. The odd decision is that SC gave a berth to Li & Richmond, who finished behind Kagolovskaya & MacDonald at Minto. (Did these two teams skate against each other anywhere else?)

Colonel Green

Yes, I think so. McQuilkin & Portz looked more ready there. The odd decision is that SC gave a berth to Li & Richmond, who finished behind Kagolovskaya & MacDonald at Minto. (Did these two teams skate against each other anywhere else?)
Li/Richmond finished ahead of them at Championnats.

Colonel Green

Lajoie/Lagha get Finlandia as a second Challenger assignment. They still havenā€™t updated their ISU bio, so their program information may only be revealed when they actually take the ice at Lombardia.

dramagrrl

Haha, given the RD results from JGP Russia, it looks like a Canadian dance team might finally win a JGP medal this week... and yet another Canadian junior dance team may end up FORTH, as Esta used to put it. :smokin:

barbarafan

Haha, given the RD results from JGP Russia, it looks like a Canadian dance team might finally win a JGP medal this week... and yet another Canadian junior dance team may end up FORTH, as Esta used to put it. :smokin:
not likely... they can make it up in the free dance. They had horrible mistake(wipeout on first set of the twizzles)so I guess it will be a case of who skates clean for third spot.

Colonel Green

not likely... they can make it up in the free dance. They had horrible mistake(wipeout on first set of the twizzles)so I guess it will be a case of who skates clean for third spot.
What are you talking about? Neither of our teams had a twizzle problem (well, they didn't all get Level 4s, but they certainly didn't wipe out).

barbarafan

What are you talking about? Neither of our teams had a twizzle problem (well, they didn't all get Level 4s, but they certainly didn't wipe out).
Talking about W/C from the US...They are about 4 pts behind B/B from Canada and they had the twizzle problem. I expect them to really move up in the free.

Colonel Green

Talking about W/C from the US...They are about 4 pts behind B/B from Canada and they had the twizzle problem. I expect them to really move up in the free.
Four points back and not skating in the final flight means Wolfkostin/Chen are out of the medals.

For them to be on the podium would require both Canadian teams and the third Russian team to be complete messes.

barbarafan

Four points back and not skating in the final flight means Wolfkostin/Chen are out of the medals.

For them to be on the podium would require both Canadian teams and the third Russian team to be complete messes.
hope you are right. We will have to see.

Colonel Green

hope you are right. We will have to see.
It's actually five points back, double-checking; I was thinking initially of the distance between them and the Russians.

Even without the prestige gap of not being in the final flight, five points after the RD is essentially unbridgeable bar disaster, or if the team that's behind is of enormously different caliber. W/C are a strong team, and if not for Katarina's twizzles I think they'd be in third, but they're out of it now. That's just how ice dance works. Even the two-point difference between third and fourth would be difficult to make up.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Bev Smith interviewed Piper and Paul about their new free dance.

Colonel Green

Also, Marjorie and Zach are doing Queen for their free dance, per the practice sessions at Lombardia. Interesting choice for them.

From Chelyabinsk:

• Peter's small trip between the twizzles and the pattern probably accounted for B/B's low levels on the first set; they'd probably have a score in the 60s without that, between better levels and maybe slightly upticked PCS.
  • Irina & Grayson thankfully had a much better skate here. I will say, between now and nationals, I would suggest revising their opening lift. I get what they're going for with it as far as Bonnie and Clyde being meant to be dancing together and him holding her aloft gently, but it doesn't have much oomph to it, especially considering it's their opening element.

Colonel Green

After the travails of the past three weekends, three competitions this weekend and Canadian ice dance teams did (or are looking to do) well in all of them.

šŸ„³šŸ„³šŸ„³

The pewter curse is definitively broken! Both because Nadiia & Peter won bronze and Irina & Grayson dropped an ordinal and didn't finish fourth (despite being fourth in both programs, heh).

• A big win for Nadiia & Peter, obviously, though ironically they did it with lower scores than any of the fourth-place teams (though all in a fairly tight range, so with scoring variation, etc., it's not much of a gap). Much as at their domestic events, their PCS isn't presently being marked akin to the more well-known junior teams.
  • Their stationary lift got called as a Level 3, which cost them about a point, so that's something to look at before Croatia.
  • Irina and Grayson, much better than last time, and definitely the most fluid this program has looked. I still don't think the middle section is as good as the opening or ending, though.

From the Autumn Classic:

• Piper & Paul's new programs were both skated well. The RD is more out-of-the-box successful than the FD, in my opinion.
  • Several judges think the FD doesn't meet the tempo requirement, so that may need to be changed, but it's probably a fairly straightforward alteration to make the opening "happy" part faster.

• For some reason, YouTube is allowing "It's Not Unusual" now, so I could post Carolane & Shane's RD.
  • A real shame about the fall, the FD is a lot of fun in my opinion. I hope this doesn't spiral like things did for them last year.

From Lombardia:

• Now this was a bit of an earthquake, scores-wise. They almost bearded the lion in its den here, and they did beat Guignard/Fabbri in TES. That's a straight-up declaration of war both domestically (vis a vis Gilles/Poirier) and internationally.
  • Fantastic program (and amusingly, the Gadbois choreographers evidently had the same idea for twizzles as Carol Lane did).

• I wouldn't have guessed West Side Story for Marjorie and Zach, but that went well as a debut.
  • Zach seems to be performing a lot more than he did in juniors, especially in the opening parts.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It figures that the first performance of this FD YouTube allows to stay up is the one where they fell! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information