Montreal chosen as host for 2020 figure skating world championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilieh

About 10 years ago, I used Porter from Chicago to Toronto, to watch one of the ice shows in the greater Toronto region. At that time Porter was a brand new company. The flight was a decent experience and I liked their midi-sized in-flight pamphlet.

I checked the airline reviews today. It looks like their customer service lost the initial enthusiasm. :(

Porter is iffy in the winter, because if there's a storm, their planes can get stranded. Their island airport hub in Toronto stays closed in bad weather, and it takes a long time for them to rebound. They also sometimes have to leave luggage behind to have a safe flight in terms of weight, and it can take a long time to catch up.

I no longer live in their area, but I still liked them on my last summer flight a couple of years ago, although I had to pay to check a bag, which surprised me, since I never did before. I guess I went a few years between Porter flights.

But honestly, even when I flew them often between Chicago and Toronto, I avoided them in the winter.

gatorinfl

I would suggest Blondo booties - they’re a great Canadian brand available at Nordstrom, and much more affordable than La Canadienne or Aquitalia. They are waterproof, have rubber soles, look like regular suede or nubuck booties, and come in a variety of colors and heel heights. I bought a pair in black nubuck last winter and found them easy to maintain and super comfortable without much break in.

For outerwear, I’d suggest looking at a longish lightweight packable down jacket with room for layers under. If you live near a North Face outlet, maybe try there. Since some brands are not that warm, make sure you check for fill power, wind and water resistance, etc.

Thank you. I looked at the Blondo on Nordstrom’s website but then found the same ones, same price on Zappos in my size but wide width (which I get when I can). So I’ll order them and try them out. They look nice.

I’m going to be visiting family in Massachusetts in early October so think I’ll look there for a jacket. Much better selection I think than here in Florida.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Thank you. I looked at the Blondo on Nordstrom’s website but then found the same ones, same price on Zappos in my size but wide width (which I get when I can). So I’ll order them and try them out. They look nice.
In case you don't know about them, try 6pm.com (outlet for Zappos) and justourshoes.com. They carry a lot of winter brands, including Palmroth, which is excellent, and are having a big sale. Just watch out for return policy - some sale items are for credit only - no refund.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Two random questions —
1. Has anyone been able to clarify the “single ticket” situation? Does that mean literally one ticket so not able to share for those events we don’t attend? If so, that’s just annoying lol.

2. In Central MA. Planned to drive but if it’s a blizzard instead of spring-like sunshine, it’s not ideal. OTOH, traffic at Logan (Boston) is awful & getting worse so that’s not easy either.
Pros: more space for random winter gear
Cons: need to park car in city too

3. Currently staying at Residence Inn Marriott. Any insights on travel to/from Bell Centre from there? Hoping I can move to the host Marriott if/when rooms are released closer. I do like to people watch after the competition at night.

Also- I hate that off-site practice isn’t included. Practices are my favorite part! We were so spoiled when they were in Boston.

Thanks in Adcance!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Also- I hate that off-site practice isn’t included. Practices are my favorite part! We were so spoiled when they were in Boston.

Thanks in Adcance!

The practices at Bell Centre will be open to the public, and there should be a decent number of them during the week. The off-site practices in Boston weren't open to the public either since they were at that small rink. The only way to get in was to win one of the golden tickets they gave away.

skatingguy

decently
Two random questions —
1. Has anyone been able to clarify the “single ticket” situation? Does that mean literally one ticket so not able to share for those events we don’t attend? If so, that’s just annoying lol.
There isn't a clear answer on the website. In the FAQ the question is asked but the answer only addresses refunds.

2. In Central MA. Planned to drive but if it’s a blizzard instead of spring-like sunshine, it’s not ideal. OTOH, traffic at Logan (Boston) is awful & getting worse so that’s not easy either.
Pros: more space for random winter gear
Cons: need to park car in city too
Parking in downtown Montreal can be quite expensive so I would check with your hotel to get the nightly rate before you decide.

3. Currently staying at Residence Inn Marriott. Any insights on travel to/from Bell Centre from there? Hoping I can move to the host Marriott if/when rooms are released closer. I do like to people watch after the competition at night.
Which Residence Inn by Marriott are you staying at? There are 3 in Montreal. If you're at the downtown one then you're about a 15 minute walk or there is a bus that would take you within a block or so of the Bell Centre.

Thanks in Adcance!
Do we know where the off-site practices are being held?

mac

Does anyone have an educated guess for the time of the first event on Weds? I'm looking at flight times but I guess the event schedule is not out yet. Thanks!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Does anyone have an educated guess for the time of the first event on Weds? I'm looking at flight times but I guess the event schedule is not out yet. Thanks!

Last time it was in Canada it started at 11am. I imagine it wouldn’t be far off that if they wanted to fit a pairs and mens/ladies SP on the same session.

DaveRocks

Eh?
Also, last year, in Saitama, the pairs short started at 10:30am on the Wednesday. In Reykjavik in 2017, the ladies short started at 10:40am on the Wednesday. And in Boston in 2016, the dance short started at 10:45am on the Wednesday. :coffee:

So, I'd bet around the same for Montreal.

Last edited:

mocha-ice

Just a heads up to anyone still debating about tickets... just got this email from Skate Canada: “Last chance to purchase All-Event tickets for The ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020! All-Event tickets will no longer be available when Day Tickets are released in late September.”

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I was charged my last ticket installment today. It usually takes a couple of days to appear on my online statement, since it's a foreign transaction.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Any word on what Day Tickets will cost?

I’m curious about that too. In Lake Placid I found out how much the all-event tickets were and almost passed out. I can’t get there til Thursday anyway and really want dance and ladies, but a lot depends on timing and cost.

Gusmom

Banned Member
I'm still wondering about transferability of tickets for events we don't want. While I love skating, I do need to rest LOL especially if I go to practices as well (I am not a morning person but get up for those) & am not staying adjacent.
The FAQ "Are tickets transferable or refundable" said specificlally that they are not refundable but nothing about whether they will be transferable. ???

Gusmom

Banned Member
Which Residence Inn by Marriott are you staying at? There are 3 in Montreal. If you're at the downtown one then you're about a 15 minute walk or there is a bus that would take you within a block or so of the Bell Centre.

It's actually listed as the "Residence in by Marriott Montreal Downtown."

Gusmom

Banned Member
The practices at Bell Centre will be open to the public, and there should be a decent number of them during the week. The off-site practices in Boston weren't open to the public either since they were at that small rink. The only way to get in was to win one of the golden tickets they gave away.

I forgot that - as a volunteer in Boston I was spoiled. We got access (I actually volunteered there 2x) and to ride the credentialed shuttles the whole week which was the best perk. (I haven't seen that listed in any other events for volunteers).

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I forgot that - as a volunteer in Boston I was spoiled. We got access (I actually volunteered there 2x) and to ride the credentialed shuttles the whole week which was the best perk. (I haven't seen that listed in any other events for volunteers).

Same in London for worlds we got credentials that allowed us to use transportation with the skaters and officials. Fantastic food garden as well and lots of skating to watch.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Just a heads up to anyone still debating about tickets... just got this email from Skate Canada: “Last chance to purchase All-Event tickets for The ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020! All-Event tickets will no longer be available when Day Tickets are released in late September.”

FYI Apparently select-a-seat option is gone again. It will let you select a section and show you what the computer deems the best available in that section, but 4-6 weeks ago, it was letting you actually see the seats. I was debating between 2 options. I got distracted by a family medical situation and now...
Has anyone found another way to access specific seats? I'm only one ticket and I have foot issues so I have to consider things like how close to stairs, etc. I don't understand why they would make this option come & go, but at least we get to see the section at the moment.

TIA if anyone has a suggestion. If in the US, I'd just call but didn't want to deal with international charges.

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Just received an email that day pass tickets go on sale next week, with a presale starting on Monday. Tickets will be sold for the DAY, and not for individual events. Practice passes are also being sold for Monday and Tuesday. It looks like everything, including practices, will be assigned seating. I remember that was the case in London 2013 as well, so I'm not surprised.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Just received an email that day pass tickets go on sale next week, with a presale starting on Monday. Tickets will be sold for the DAY, and not for individual events. Practice passes are also being sold for Monday and Tuesday. It looks like everything, including practices, will be assigned seating. I remember that was the case in London 2013 as well, so I'm not surprised.

For the Wed-Sat practices we sat in random seats, so hopefully that will be the case again for those days.

mocha-ice

It worries me that there's still no mention of pricing per day.

Monday, Tuesday (Practices): 36.75$ (all levels)

Wednesday (Practices, Opening Ceremony, Pairs Short & Ladies Short):
Price Level 1 - $450.75, Price Level 2 - $345.75, Price Level 3 - $260.75, Price Level 4 - $194.75, Price Level 5 - $134.75, Price Level 6 - $113.00, Price Level 7 - $79.50

Thursday (Practices, Men Short & Pairs Free):
Price Level 1 - $475.75, Price Level 2 - $371.75, Price Level 3 - $308.75, Price Level 4 - $232.75, Price Level 5 - $178.75, Price Level 6 - $113.00, Price Level 7 - $79.50

Friday (Practices, Ice Dance Rhythm & Ladies Free), Saturday (Practices, Ice Dance Free & Men Free), Sunday (Gala)
Price Level 1- $500.75, Price Level 2 - $400.75, Price Level 3 - $345.75, Price Level 4 - $291.75, Price Level 5 - $232.75, Price Level 6 - $119.00, Price Level 7 - $85.50

Last edited:

Gusmom

Banned Member

Had AE tickets in basket when computer crashed. 2 days ago. The screen for seat selection still showed up until last night on my phone but when I pulled it up this morning in computer...Grrr. I wish they’d given us a hard deadline. I would have used my husband’s computer. But I think we are still mid-not-quite-late Sept.

guess I’m doing Day Passes now 😂 I’ll probably spend about the same for less skating but can vary my seats and not worry about ‘unused’ seats for days I won’t use (W) & save extra night of hotel room. I’ll just get practice for Wed. & full day Th-Sn. Overall it might be cheaper.

Does anyone know what time EST they will open presale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information