2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

C

casken

And there is the catch 22 with using a piece that becomes strongly identified with a specific athlete.

Are there people other than Chen fans who will do that? I honestly can't even recall the program people are talking about as his LPs kind of blend together for me.

It's not like, Bolero.

Colonel Green

Are there people other than Chen fans who will do that? I honestly can't even recall the program people are talking about as his LPs kind of blend together for me.
It was his 2017-18 short program, generally the program that even those are are indifferent to Nathan will say was really good.

C

casken

It was his 2017-18 short program, generally the program that even those are are indifferent to Nathan will say was really good.

Thanks. I Youtubed it and now I remember. I think this year's sp with the boddy wiggling opening somehow erased my memories of any previous sp. :lol:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I’d be more concerned that their program would compare unfavorably to the junior world medalist ice dance team who just used that piece last season, rather than to Chen.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Nor do I think [Nemesis] is anywhere near [a warhorse] now. (Popular, yes). I have found that I have a hard time appreciating the versions I have seen since Nathan debuted his. It is hard when you have a certain athlete's style of movement in your head associated strongly with a piece of music. Probably if Khudaberdieva & Nazarov had skated it without my having seen Nathan's, I would have appreciated the program more. But they probably wouldn't have skated it without Nathan's program having been so successful. And there is the catch 22 with using a piece that becomes strongly identified with a specific athlete.

Yep, that's the interesting thing. A piece of music can definitely be used a few times, or once or twice before someone else comes along and uses it in a way that makes it iconic and helps garner the music (and lyrics in some cases) more widespread attention, and desire by others to try it out.

I would say that's what happened for Nemesis when Nathan skated to it with Shae Lynn Bourne's choreo. And that's also what happened with Muse's Exogenesis Symphony Part 3, when Jeremy Abbott skated to it with his own choreo in collaboration with Yuka Sato. The Kerrs had famously skated to Muse previously to high acclaim, but it was Jeremy who put the music on the map with his groundbreaking free skate program. As well, I would say that Savchenko/ Szolkowy put on the map, Lilies of the Valley by Jun Miyake (from the Pina documentary film soundtrack -- a tribute to dancer & choreographer, Pina Bausch). Of course, Jeremy Abbott came along a few seasons later and did the same music selection great justice! And later the legendary Konstantin Menshov memorably interpreted the same Pina music cut.

Another example is, I Put a Spell on You, as brilliantly performed by Stolbova/ Klimov. None of the many teams who have used the music since have come close to S/K's badass interpretation.

I'm also reminded of how great music from iconic singers like Elton John and The Beatles has been combined with inimitable choreo performed by talented skaters, e.g., Jeremy Abbott skating to A Day in the Life to groundbreaking choreo by Shae Lynn Bourne. Abbott and Bourne took their interpretation to a higher level than that of Michelle Kwan and choreographer, Lori Nichol, to the same instrumental music. Currently, there's Nathan Chen skating to a Rocketman + hip hop Benny & the Jets fp this coming season! In addition, James/Cipres skated so definitively to Disturbed's cover of Simon & Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence, it sparked Sui/Han to skate to a version of S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water later the same season. What John Kerr brought to pairs with his work for Savchenko/Szolkowy and especially for James/Cipres is so unique and mesmerizing that similar music themes and especially certain choreo elements and the movement aesthetic are being copied left and right.

As well, Sing, Sing, Sing has been performed by a number of skaters very memorably with DTen's and JAbbott's versions sticking out most in my mind. Michelle Kwan's Tosca performance will never die, but this season, Andrew Torgashev is trying to reinvigorate the classic. As well, Nathan is trying on La Boheme for size in his sp.

ETA:
I can't forget to mention Torvill/Dean's Bolero, which has been attempted by others to less than notable results. And, of course, the biggest actual warhorse of all is Carmen (and its numerous incarnations - too many to count).

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

(did not see this posted on the last 3 pages)
A fan recorded Liza Tuk's FS practice (or said to be her "FS") while she is with Mishin at another training camp in Tartu Estonia.

Sylvia

TBD

Nmsis

Amodio skated on Nemesis in 2015-2016. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNg0P27BVPE
Aymoz skated on Nemesis in 2016-2017. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO0nOyZFZA
By 2017-2018, it was already a war horse.
I had a doubt about something and I checked. And I was right. Or I was wrong. :p
Amodio was not the first.
Nemesis was first skated on ice in 2014-2015. :hat1:
(I knew I had seen it skated quite some times prior to 207-2018)

It was skated in ballet on ice by Karine Arribert's Villard de Lans, by the ice dancers of the club.

And if you object that is an obscure reference to an obscure skating center, there is quite an history.

1. Aint'it brilliant that Davis and White skated on Bollywood music in 2009-2010 ? What a superb idea ! Groundbreaking !
Well, no less than 3 french ice dance couples had the same idea ... in 2007-2008.... Lots of groundbreaking ...
2 junior teams (Maureen Ibanez and Neil Brown from Lyon, Charlène Guignard and Guillaume Paulmier from Brest) and 1 senior (Zoé Blanc and Pierre-Loup Bouquet from Villard).
Coincidence ? Nope. Karine Arribert had already tried Bollywood music as a part of Blanc/Bouquet's 2004 FD and the others considered it was a good idea. Marina Zueva propably did too in 2009-2010.

2. Lorraine McNamara and Quinn Carpenter skated their 2012-2013 FD on Roisin Murphy's Ramalama. How cool ! Well actually another couple skated had Ramalama in their FD the same year, the german Nelli Zhiganshina and Alexander Gazi. Weird ? Well, it was Blanc / Bouquet's FD in 2009-2010.

3. Savchenko / Massot's 2016-2017 FS. Patrick Watson in figure skating. Must be a first ? Nope, Watson was used by Karine Arribert in ballet on ice in 2014-2015 (in the same program than Valentine). She used to choreograph a lot of Ballester's skaters. it is quite logic that there would be musical connection too.

All the french skaters and coaches are influenced by her work. She's a musical digger.
A lot of choreographers / coachs look for music on Spotify (well, in France, it would be Deezer), but some of them also have a special Villard de Lans ice dance + ballet playlist, and not just the french.

Dobre

Last edited:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
Ramalama was also a very well-received & widely viewed group number on So You Think You Can Dance. I'm not certain exactly when, but based on this article, I believe 2006.

https://decider.com/2017/07/20/today-in-tv-history-so-you-think-you-can-dance-ramalama/

ETA: No, it looks like 2005 per the date in the small font here. It won a primetime Emmy award for Outstanding Choreography.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0733499/awards

The first time I saw "Ramalama" was on the "So You Think You Can Dance" show and I assumed every skater or team that skated to it had seen a clip of the number from the show, especially if they borrowed the costuming theme, too. There have been a quite a few skater's programs inspired by clips from "So You Think You Can Dance."

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Ontario North York Summer Skate competition today included these program debuts:

Recently married Keegan Messing's SP to "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran :);
Nam Nguyen
SP: Blues for klook

Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro's SP to Rihanna's "Love on the Brain" (covered by ?);

Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud's SP to Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets."

Video links for the latter 2 programs are posted in the Canadian Pairs thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-news-and-updates.105667/page-8#post-5619254

ETA that video links for the first 2 programs are posted in the Canadian Men's thread now: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...n-men-news-updates.105727/page-3#post-5619264

Last edited:

cheremary

Natalie D'Alessandro & Bruce Waddell
RD: "He Loves and She Loves" (Funny Face)*, "Le Jazz Hot" (Victor/Victoria)

* the original 1927 stage musical, not the Astaire/Hepburn film adaptation of the same.

Apologies for being nitpicky, but the version of “He Loves and She Loves” they’re using is sung by Julie Andrews (https://youtu.be/M9jo1x0TRu8), who was born in 1935. I’m going to guess they chose it because “Le Jazz Hot” is also sung by Julie Andrews, though much later on in her career.

Colonel Green

Apologies for being nitpicky, but the version of “He Loves and She Loves” they’re using is sung by Julie Andrews (https://youtu.be/M9jo1x0TRu8), who was born in 1935. I’m going to guess they chose it because “Le Jazz Hot” is also sung by Julie Andrews, though much later on in her career.
I wasn’t meaning to specify the version, rather that it wasn’t in the film — but on looking again I see that it was, not sure how I missed that when I read it yesterday.

Tahuu

Interesting. Both Nathan and Shoma will skate to a gay musician's music this season. Nathan to Sr Elton John's "Rocket man." And Shoma to Calum Scott's "Dancing on my own," a gay vocal and lyrics, by a gay choreographer.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I’d be more concerned that their program would compare unfavorably to the junior world medalist ice dance team who just used that piece last season, rather than to Chen.

Huh? I have a vague idea who they are and I did watch junior Worlds ice dance, but that team are NOT memorable. Not in my view anyway. :COP: Much less did I even remember they skated to Nemesis.

The point still holds. Regardless of who skated to Nemesis, before, during or after Nathan skated to that music, it was Nathan's Shae Lynn choreographed sp that put Nemesis on the map. Hearing that music and viewing Nathan's program led to a lot of people finding out more about Benjamin Clementine, especially those folk who were not aware of him previously. And Nathan using the music, popularized it further.

ETA:
I really don't find the Russian junior ice dancers that interesting. Khudaberdieva/Nazarov are probably the ones who stand out the most, but again I don't find them or their teammates that interesting. It is notable how many of the Russian teams in both pairs and ice dance are trying to emulate North American styles, themes, and costuming inspiration, and are using more hip, contemporary music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8687ZWoKfs

Maybe K/N will eventually find a more distinctive style that has an impact that will set them apart. For me, at both 2018 and 2019 World juniors, Lajoie/Lagha were the standouts, despite placing 4th in 2018. Of course, L/L won gold in 2019: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1e3YCfRh50

So the NA team won with the classical music selection, while the second place Russians tried to groove with a I'm Only Human + Nemesis mix. :lol: The Nemesis add-on works with the first music cut for K/N, but I don't see why anyone would think K/N's incorporation of Nemesis for their FD last season, somehow makes them the standard for another ice dance team who uses Nemesis this season, to necessarily have to be compared against. :confused: K/N did nothing especially groundbreaking or memorable with the Nemesis add-on.

Are L/L continuing in juniors or transitioning to seniors this season?

Last edited:

Dobre

Maybe K/N will eventually find a more distinctive style that has an impact that will set them apart.

She is skating with Filatov now & assigned to the Russian JGP.

Speaking of which, I know some people were able to see K&F's FD from Junior Russian Test skates. Did anyone catch what the music was? (It's not listed yet either here or on Doris's page).

Amy L

She is skating with Filatov now & assigned to the Russian JGP.

Speaking of which, I know some people were able to see K&F's FD from Junior Russian Test skates. Did anyone catch what the music was? (It's not listed yet either here or on Doris's page).

Sign of the Times by Harry Styles

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Shanaeva & Narizhnyy
RD: Bonnie & Clyde by Frank Wildhorn
FD: River by Bishop Briggs
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102145.htm

ETA: Their ISU bio just lists the pieces as it says above, but Doris's list on GS has the RD songs identified as "How ‘bout a Dance" and "The World Will Remember Us."

What does Bonnie & Clyde have to do with Broadway/Operettas? (Not picking on this team. Just frustrated that old-time TRUE Broadway musicals are being ignored by most.)

Orm Irian

What does Bonnie & Clyde have to do with Broadway/Operettas? (Not picking on this team. Just frustrated that old-time TRUE Broadway musicals are being ignored by most.)

The musical may not have been a success on Broadway, but it did make it to Broadway (and last past previews - just). Technically, it's a valid pick. Is there any info on whether they're using the OBC recording or the jazz rerelease? Those two songs are on both.

Sylvia

TBD
Debuted both programs at Skate Ontario North York Summer Skate:

Keegan Messing
SP: "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran
FS: "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses
Both programs again were choreographed by Lance Vipond.

Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud
SP: Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets"
FS: U2's "One" (female cover that Stellato/Bartholomay used a few years ago), choreo. by Eric Radford

Nam Nguyen's Beatles medley has 3 songs: "Come Together" / "Let It Be" / "Get Back" and he also debuted his "Blues for Klook" SP at the comp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information