Papadakis/Cizeron #8 - Oh Lover Hold On

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

This interview is just conducted by Dave Lease who stays clear of controversial or gossipy info and let Romain answers at length without cutting him. It's a very interesting one tbh.

I just refuse to give them any support whatsoever even with a click.

Orm Irian

It's a very interesting one tbh.

I really enjoyed it - it was a wide-ranging and definitely non-gossipy interview. I particularly liked the bit about Gabriella's role in the team and how she's moved more to the forefront of people's attention over the past season (and Romain mentioning that she was the one who first stood out to him when he saw her doing solo dance as a tiny kid was really interesting!*), and the discussion of Hubbell and Donohue's difficulties in getting their FS to work. It's fascinating to hear about that process of getting something to work from the POV of a coach/choreographer.

Also, the bit about how he thinks he'll be sending Fear/Gibson to look for new choreographers soon the way he did Gabi and Guillaume a few years ago was interesting. It shows his insight as a coach, to be able to say that a team on the rise needs more/something different than he can give them choreographically in order to continue to grow. I wonder if they'll be the next Gadbois team send to collaborate with Christopher Dean, especially with how Dean helped Gabi and Guillaume get past their block on the SD/RD?

*Speaking purely personally, I've always seen Gabi as the stronger actor/performer of the two, and that really did come strongly through this season where their FD in particular had a protagonist for the first time and that protagonist was indisputably her.

Enchanted

I wouldn’t say Guillaume is a weaker performer. I’d say they are pretty much equal. They just have a different style of presentation. Guillaume is more of an introvert and Gabriella an extrovert but introverted style of presentation is just as good as the extroverted style. It often annoys me that the introverted style is seen as inferior, not just in skating but also elsewhere.

Guillaume’s presentation may not always be visible on the videos but it is very easy to see and feel at the arena.

I’m not a fan of how Haguenauer talks about Guillaume’s shyness. This time it was very mild but I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago in which it was much harsher. It comes across as if he has a very narrow way to understand different personality traits, like it would be Haguenauer’s blind spot. That’s how it comes across in his interviews, that he doesn’t understand introverted people.

When he criticises Cizeron’s shyness, he actually criticises who Guillaume is, his innate personality. Shyness is not an illness that needs to be cured. It’s just a personality trait and therefore equal with other personality traits such as livliness. If Haguenauer wants to criticise Guillaume on something, he should focus on something he does, not something he is. In comparison it would be equally wrong to criticise Gabriella for being lively and more talkative as that is her innate personality trait.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

I’m not a fan of how Haguenauer talks about Guillaume’s shyness. This time it was very mild but I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago in which it was much harsher. It comes across as if he has a very narrow way to understand different personality traits, like it would be Haguenauer’s blind spot. That’s how it comes across in his interviews, that he doesn’t understand introverted people.

When he criticises Cizeron’s shyness, he actually criticises who Guillaume is, his innate personality. Shyness is not an illness that needs to be cured. It’s just a personality trait and therefore equal with other personality traits such as livliness. If Haguenauer wants to criticise Guillaume on something, he should focus on something he does, not something he is. In comparison it would be equally wrong to criticise Gabriella for being lively and more talkative as that is her innate personality trait.

Shyness can show in your performance. It can make you overthink things and make it difficult to go out of your comfort zone. I'm not saying that that's the case with Guillaume but it could be the reason why Romain brought it up.

Enchanted

Shyness can show in your performance. It can make you overthink things and make it difficult to go out of your comfort zone. I'm not saying that that's the case with Guillaume but it could be the reason why Romain brought it up.

If Haguenauer had brought it up only this time I wouldn’t have problem with it. However, it is something he’s been harping on and on during a longer time span in his interviews. I’ve seen P/C live multiple times and there’s never been anything wrong or lacking in Cizeron’s presentation. He and Gabriella have been equal in their presentation.

Orm Irian

I wouldn’t say Guillaume is a weaker performer.

I wasn't saying that he's a weak performer. You know how when we talk about skating skills, we say that Gabi is outstanding in her own right but Guillaume is exceptional in any context? For me, that's how they are as performers, just the other way around: Guillaume is an extremely strong performer, but Gabi is just an extraordinary talent, and would be no matter who she was partnered with.

annie_mg

Also, and call me traditional, for me it's the woman in the couple that gets to shine most of the time. For example, I never had a problem with how OUT THERE Marina Anissina was compared to Gwendal. He was much more in the background, but that's what made their couple special, among other things. I think Gabby and Guillaume complement each other perfectly in terms of performance. But that's just my personal opinion.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I wasn't saying that he's a weak performer. You know how when we talk about skating skills, we say that Gabi is outstanding in her own right but Guillaume is exceptional in any context? For me, that's how they are as performers, just the other way around: Guillaume is an extremely strong performer, but Gabi is just an extraordinary talent, and would be no matter who she was partnered with.

I love how this is framed! I agree totally. Guillaume having better SS doesn't mean Gabriella is mid-pack in terms of her own. Same for performing. Guillaume maybe by being more introverted is a great "base" or partner, too, in terms of stability, which allows Gabriella to project that much more. I hope that makes sense? Their slight difference in performance works together, and isn't a question of who is better or introverted.

Also, and call me traditional, for me it's the woman in the couple that gets to shine most of the time. For example, I never had a problem with how OUT THERE Marina Anissina was compared to Gwendal. He was much more in the background, but that's what made their couple special, among other things. I think Gabby and Guillaume complement each other perfectly in terms of performance. But that's just my personal opinion.

Yes - in fact, I'd argue many women would have been overpowered by Gwendal's skating and performance ability. With Marina as a partner, it gave him (and his hair) more space to grow in that respect.

When I think partnerships with a very dialled-down male performer, I think of teams like Paul & Islam, Chock & Bates (in the past...), or the classic: Bourne & Kratz.

ballettmaus

If Haguenauer had brought it up only this time I wouldn’t have problem with it. However, it is something he’s been harping on and on during a longer time span in his interviews. I’ve seen P/C live multiple times and there’s never been anything wrong or lacking in Cizeron’s presentation. He and Gabriella have been equal in their presentation.

I haven't seen a comment on Guillaume's shyness, so I have no idea how or what Romain says about it. Unless he means it as a reproach, I don't really have a problem that Romain is mentioning it. It's very possible that it's something that shows in practice but not once they perform. Or maybe he doesn't mean anything by it and it's just something that strikes him with Guillaume for one reason or another.

Not just yours :)

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
You can see how Guillaume isn't used to wear so much fabric,he's sweating profusely :D Though he should get used to it because he looks great as does she. Very elegant and different from their more stripped down usual costumes.

Enchanted

You can see how Guillaume isn't used to wear so much fabric,he's sweating profusely :D Though he should get used to it because he looks great as does she. Very elegant and different from their more stripped down usual costumes.

:lol:

If the pics are from Nagoya, the rink was obviously exceptionally warm. So, that might explain something. :) I hope the costumes are not just for the show and they will use them again later.

Isabelle.G

:lol:

If the pics are from Nagoya, the rink was obviously exceptionally warm. So, that might explain something. :) I hope the costumes are not just for the show and they will use them again later.

Me too, I wouldn't mind if Gabi wore such a dress type for one of their competition programs. Anyway, the music they skated to made me wonder whether that couldn't be a small hint to their new rhythm dance... what do you think?

Peepsquick

I would love this for their RD.That lift so elegant and smooth !

I would too but from what I heard from their interview in The Skating Lesson, I would not hold my breath ... this would not be enough out of the box for them. Plus, I remember their Gala performance at Worlds 2016 where they did some "hip hop" and everyone thought it was a hint as to what they would choose for the 2017-SD. And ... nope, not at all !;)

Last edited:

jujubi64

Do you think it's a hint of which kind of program they'll have in Gabys Instastory? She shows her flamenco skates there...
Maybe I'm just too impatient and see signs when there aren't any. IF they skate to a flamenco, I can't wait to see it. I'm sure this would be perfect...
Maybe, but i don't think so, it's her regular brand skate, it's a model of Edea. But with them, we can have a surprise.

nuge

I've watched The Ice clip so many times now that I think I may be disappointed if it's not the RD :rolleyes:
I like it so much I want a whole dance to it.

jujubi64

I've watched The Ice clip so many times now that I think I may be disappointed if it's not the RD :rolleyes:
I like it so much I want a whole dance to it.
Me too, this exibition was something: the costumes, their connection even better (and they say they have no chemistry:confused:), the jazz song... A dream. I hope something like this too.

Last edited:

Isabelle.G

Me too, this exibition was something: the costumes, their connection even better (and they say they have no chemistry:confused:), the jazz song... A dream. I hope something like this too.

Exactly! I think this style of music suits them so well, I hope they choose to skate to a similar song one day. I'm sure it'd be terrific.

Bigbird

Do you think it's a hint of which kind of program they'll have in Gabys Instastory? She shows her flamenco skates there...
Maybe I'm just too impatient and see signs when there aren't any. IF they skate to a flamenco, I can't wait to see it. I'm sure this would be perfect...

Mercy, can you just imagine....wowza....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information