Japanese figure skating 2018-19 season news & updates

Tinami Amori

Uno's "situation" has been discussed on the russian side as well for a while (few weeks?) now. The talk is that his "team" is talking to Tutberidze (please note i said "talking" not confirming a transfer).

It started when the info came out that "a japanese skater may be training with Tutberidze", without a specific name, plus the talks of Uno changing coaches this season. At the time it is an assumption.
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...ruppe-tutberidze-poyavitsya-yaponskaya-zvezda

Press manager at Sambo-70 when asked by journalists replied "we're not commenting on transfers mid-season".
https://nevasport.ru/74293-v-sambo-70-ne-stali-kommentirovat-perehod-shomy-uno-k-tutberidze/

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
^That rumor started based on Jack Gallagher's podcast. He didn't name any skater.

Press manager at Sambo-70 when asked by journalists replied "we're not commenting on transfers mid-season".
https://nevasport.ru/74293-v-sambo-70-ne-stali-kommentirovat-perehod-shomy-uno-k-tutberidze/
google translation
In addition, the famous figure skating journalist in the world, Jack Gallagher, said that Japanese skaters are going to work with Eteri Tutberidze next season.

And I don't know I can think him as a source. His words tend to be exaggerating.

Sylvia

TBD
Chris is currently in Kurashiki with sister Cathy.
Apparently he's joining her in bringing up young Japanese ice dancers.
Nice to hear. :) I can't see the FB content... same as this set of 10 photos posted on Cathy's IG? https://www.instagram.com/p/ByR8XODpSF3/

Cathy's 2 young teams:
Singin' in the Rain competition debut by twins (photo): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxg9OqDpRo3/
Stayin' Alive disco exhibition program (2 clips): https://www.instagram.com/p/BwD0et0hvH4/

Tinami Amori

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I don't care who he goes to for coaching as I'm certain he'll have his reasons for selecting them, but I will :rofl: if it is Tutberidze. In fact, I'm :lol: at just the thought of all the angst that would cause.

Tinami Amori

Praying he goes to Mishin and not Tutberidze. She is a sorceress but for little girls, not grown men (however short!).

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByPsAnkpmk5Ytlf89B46iZ4-0HOVH5lq_g4pNg0/
:)
There is no indication that he is going to Tutberidze or any other specific coach, other than "assumptions" made so far. But it is not Mishin. He just denied it to the press.

– Могли бы подтвердить информацию японских СМИ?
– Мне это неизвестно.
– То есть это не так?
– Да.

- Can you confirm the information in Japanese press (that Uno maybe training with you)
- I know nothing about it.
- In other words it is not so? (not true?)
- Yes (not true, not so).

starrynight

A lot of the Russian coaches (and I swear I've seen Tutberidze express these same views) are obsessed with the idea of having an Asian (particularly Japanese) student because they view them as being naturally small and then because of their culture, fundamentally and unwaveringly obedient. (Which they think will make the work a lot easier).

I think this is probably a very simplistic view they have of Japanese people.

I certainly think that Japanese skaters of say, Shoma or Yuzuru's standing do want a say in the way they train.

Marco

Mishin would be ideal. Uno already has the whole skating package so Mishin isn't likely to drag him down there, but Mishin can certainly help with clearing up Uno's technique. I suppose Mishin feels like Lazukin is going to be a threat to Uno?!

Most other top coaches are already coaching his close competitors, so I suppose Orser, Arutunian, Tom Z are out of the question. How about Lee Barkell?

all_empty

Switching the conversation back to the ladies, I hope Yuna Shiraiwa shines this season. She was a bit overlooked by Mihara (consistency) and Honda (fame) when they all moved up from seniors, but she's pretty solid.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
I posted some Daisuke Takahashi's news in his thread in the Trash Can:

Daisuke Takahashi: willing to compete internationally this 2019-20 season season

Sorry, I'm sure Rosewood will provide a more accurate translation...

(my rough translation)

On the 15th this month, the 50th anniversary party of the Okayama prefecture skating federation was held at Healthpia Kurashiki in Kurashiki city. Takahashi, a Kurashiki city native, was given an honorary award there. After the ceremony, "During last season (=2018-2019 season) I was not sure how my skating would be (since it was the first season after the comeback), so my goal was to skate at nationals. However, today I think I will go as far as possible [during this season]", he revealed that he's willing to try to skate at Worlds in 2019-2020 season.

He placed 2nd at Nationals which was held in December last year but he resigned to be on team Japan for Worlds. "I didn't start last season to aim at Worlds. Other skaters were aiming at Worlds so I felt something uncomfortable with the distance between our feelings on the start line", he explained. "That said, I don't have any limits this year. If I can go to Worlds this season (=2019-2020 season), I'll follow my honest feelings. I started this season with the thoughts that I have a chance to go to Worlds", he revealed he's facing his second season with different thoughts from last season's.

He was selected as a member of 'special athletes' on team Japan, and is guaranteed a spot for Nationals to be held in December. He's already got a bye for Regionals/Sectionals. As for the nearest competition he's going to enter to, "I wonder if I may enter to an international B competition (or Challenger Series), or I may enter to one after finishing Nationals. It depends on how well my preparation of the programs will go. I'll consult with people. I haven't decided my concrete schedule yet."

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
At the end of the article in post #365:
The Japan Skating Federation will hold a test skate on June 15 at Chukyo University in Aichi Prefecture to determine the competitors for the coming season’s Junior Grand Prix.
The likes of Tomoe Kawabata, Rinka Watanabe, Moa Iwano, Kinayu Yokoi, Miyu Honda and others will be vying for spots in the seven-event circuit that begins in Courchevel, France, on Aug. 21.
Has anyone read (on social media?) or heard any news or info about this JGP test skate?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
This article says this year's Japan Nationals will be held at Yoyogi National Stadium No.1 Gymnasium in Tokyo on December 19-22 (as ostile17 posted above). It also says Mana Kawabe, Rion Sumiyoshi and Azusa Tanaka were selected to be sent to JGP as well as were added to 'B athletes' on team Japan.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
This article briefly mentions about the selection criteria for Worlds.

1st skater: Nationals winner
2nd skater: from the athletes who meets either of the criteria below
a) 2nd and 3rd at Nationals
b) 3rd and higher on ISU's World Ranking when Nationals finished
3rd skater: from the athletes who meets either of the criteria below
a) skaters who meet the criteria for the 2nd skater but not selected
b) 3rd and higher on ISU's WR or SB when Nationals finished

Enchanted

This article says this year's Japan Nationals will be held at Yoyogi National Stadium No.1 Gymnasium in Tokyo on December 19-22 (as ostile17 posted above). It also says Mana Kawabe, Rion Sumiyoshi and Azusa Tanaka were selected to be sent to JGP as well as were added to 'B athletes' on team Japan.

How many spots Japan has for the JGP? That sounds like a very small amount of skaters or is there another selection method also in use?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
How many spots Japan has for the JGP? That sounds like a very small amount of skaters or is there another selection method also in use?
Japan has 14 spots for ladies' JGP. Prior to today the fed has already announced team Japan members. Other junior eligible skaters than those three who were announced today (selected by JGP selection meeting done recently) were listed there. See Sylvia's post below.
ETA Senior & Junior Nationals placements for the singles skaters:

Special: Uno [S1], Takahashi [S2], Tanaka [S3], Hanyu / Sakamoto [S1], Kihira [S2], Miyahara [S3], Mihara [S4], Higuchi [S5]
A:
Men: Tomono [S4], Shimada [S5/J3], Kagiyama [S6/J5], Tsuboi [S7/J1], Kishina [S8/J4], Sato S [S12/J2]
Ladies: Yamashita [S6], Yokoi [S7/J1], Hosoda [S8], Araki [S13/J2], Kawabata [S10/J3], Shiraiwa [S9]
B:
Men: Yamamoto [S9], Yamakuma [S10], Nakamura [S11], Miyake [S17/J6], Sumoto [J7], Miura [J8]
Ladies: Matsubara [S11], Watanabe [S18/J4], Aoki [S14/J5], Naganawa [S12/J6], Iwano [J7], Matsuike [J8]

Probably adding to those three (Kawabe, Sumiyoshi [J7] and Tanaka [N7]), Araki [S13/J2], Kawabata [S10/J3] , Watanabe [S18/J4], Aoki [S14/J5], Naganawa [S12/J6], Iwano [J7] and Matsuike [J8] are in the pool for JGP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information