2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

IloveFS

I don't understand skaters obsession with Moulin Rouge. Aren't there other tango pieces out there????

coppertop1

Dire music selections. Lyrics must be banned.

This sport used to be art. Now it's akin to amateur karaoke night at the local gay disco.

Classical music should be a requirement for one of the programs. Make Hungarian Rhapsody great again!

-BB

Sheesh, dramatic overreaction? Please. Not everyone has a classical style. Let skaters skate to what suits them.

Eeyora1

Ok..... the Five Year Plan is doing well so far...
http://fb.ru/misc/i/thumb/a/1/2/5/4/1/0/3/1254103.jpg

"Les Mis" - check!
"Moulin Rouge" - check!
"Geisha" - check!
"I Put a Spell on You" - check!

"Swan Lake" ....
"POTO" ...........
"Carmen" ........
"Turandot" ......
"Tosca" ..........
"Black Swan"...
"La La Land" ...
"Dark Eyes" ....
"Tango" .........
"Fire-bird".......
"M-me Butterfly"..
"Papa can you hear me"..
"Four Seasons"...

Libertango.....
Maria from Buenos Aires
Never Tear Us Apart by INXS
That song by Michael Buble about “And I Feel Good”
Beatles Medley
Don Quioxte
Rach 2
Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini

And I have a feeling we will see a good deal of Queen/Bohemian Rhapsody Programs

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Dire music selections. Lyrics must be banned.

This sport used to be art. Now it's akin to amateur karaoke night at the local gay disco.

Classical music should be a requirement for one of the programs. Make Hungarian Rhapsody great again!

-BB
Amen.

If someone skates to a mashup of Wicked and Frozen, I will stop watching skating faster than Caroline Zhang circa 2012 could set up a double Axel. So, like twelve to fourteen seconds.

lauravvv

Aerobicidal - But if you find out about someone skating to your dream music (probably very unlikely) or to a very unusual, never used music choice (which is to your liking) at the same moment (okay, twelve seconds after :D) :eek:? What then :oops::confused:?

screech

Ha ha, but god No. Lyrics do work. Not all music with lyrics but lots.
Lots of classical music hasn’t worked in the past or has been woefully overused.
I normally don't like it but when it works, it works. I think that Javi was the most successful with lyrics out of the gate, with his Black Betty SP (a unique musical choice that worked brilliantly) and both his Barber of Seville and Guys and Dolls FP. The free programs were a great mix of vocals and instrumental, and when the vocals kicked in, it just made sense and felt natural.

coppertop1

I speak the truth and rarely engage in melodrama. Enjoy the plethora of "Xtina" and Michael Buble we're sure to endure this year.

-BB

Condescening as well. I will enjoy skating. You can always not watch. I'd rather watch a skater do music that suits them then a plethora of Carmens or Nutcrackers that doesn't fit a skater's style. I like classical music but it's become overused.

I normally don't like it but when it works, it works. I think that Javi was the most successful with lyrics out of the gate, with his Black Betty SP (a unique musical choice that worked brilliantly) and both his Barber of Seville and Guys and Dolls FP. The free programs were a great mix of vocals and instrumental, and when the vocals kicked in, it just made sense and felt natural.

I would add Wakabi Higuchi's Skyfall and Ashley Wagner's Moulin Rouge. Both had programs that suited them to a T.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I frankly don't get the objection to lyrics. I can't think of any program I liked where I thought taking out the lyrics would have improved it. Osmond's Piaf program, for instance, would be much poorer without Edith's trademark rasp.

How about Gabby's Carmen or Mako's Una Voce Poco Fa? :) Totally agree with you about Kaetlyn's Piaf, though.

Japanfan

As far as I'm concerned, Moulin Rouge will always belong to Tessa and Scott.

The problem with feeling that way about a warhorse is that is really hard to enjoy and appreciate the many programs to that music one will see in the years to come. I find it hard to appreciate 'Turandot' programs because to me the music belongs to S/Z.

Last edited:

screech

I frankly don't get the objection to lyrics. I can't think of any program I liked where I thought taking out the lyrics would have improved it.
Phantom of the Opera. I'd much rather listen to Patrick Chan's instrumental version, than hear Gerard Butler warbling one more time. Now if people actually went for the superior Michael Crawford original version on the other hand...

But in general, I don't love that people haven't been creative with the ability to have lyrics - instead we tend to just see an overabundance of the exact same slower music over and over again (all the Muse and Coldplay), or vocalized versions of songs we've been hearing for years (a la Phantom, Carmen, etc.). That's one of the reasons why I loved Javi's Black Betty SP so much. When the heck else was someone going to skate to music by Ram Jam?

dramagrrl

Phantom of the Opera. I'd much rather listen to Patrick Chan's instrumental version, than hear Gerard Butler warbling one more time. Now if people actually went for the superior Michael Crawford original version on the other hand...
The Colm Wilkinson/Rebecca Caine version!!!

coppertop1

But in general, I don't love that people haven't been creative with the ability to have lyrics - instead we tend to just see an overabundance of the exact same slower music over and over again (all the Muse and Coldplay), or vocalized versions of songs we've been hearing for years (a la Phantom, Carmen, etc.). That's one of the reasons why I loved Javi's Black Betty SP so much. When the heck else was someone going to skate to music by Ram Jam?

I think figure skaters tend to use music that is "tried tested and true". It definitely gets tired. Part of the reason I groan at skaters doing Carmen or Swan Lake (though I loved Kaetlyn's Black Swan) or other warhorses is that there is so much more classical music than the ones that get overused. That's why I liked Yuna Shiraiwa's LP, it was a composition that I had never heard of before. Same goes for pop music. Kaetlyn's Milord was different than most and suited her to a T.

Japanfan

Phantom of the Opera. I'd much rather listen to Patrick Chan's instrumental version, than hear Gerard Butler warbling one more time.

I still don't like lyrics being allowed in skating, although sometimes it bothers me more than others.

I used to think that the skating was the lyrics (hence was have the term 'lyrical skating'). Adding a layer of actual lyrics to skating has not been an improvement IMO.

But in general, I don't love that people haven't been creative with the ability to have lyrics

What would that look like? Any ideas?

DobrinFan

Joseph Phan
FP Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor Concerto) by Beethoven
http://lastwords.pythonanywhere.com/post/25/

Rika Kihira
SP choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne
FP choreographed by Tom Dickson
https://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20190414/fgr19041405030001-n2.html
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1117256696017997827

Mai Mihara
SP choreographed by David Wilson
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwN0VuUHxa0/

Valtter Virtanen
SP: Andrea Bocelli - Ven a Mi
FP: Robin Williams medley
choreographed by Adam Solya
https://www.instagram.com/valtterth...utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=o6tuavstobol

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Could be. I don't really know what to expect of a Robin Williams program -- he was in so many different kinds of movies. It's not like he consistently played one character like Charlie Chaplin with the Little Tramp, and I think he was generally more known for verbal than physical comedy. So I'm intrigued to see where he goes with this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information