Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

annie_mg

This has appeared on VK. Someone managed to get a video of her LP practice today.
https://vk.com/video-67998976_456241658
I know people haven't really been commenting on this since she moved to Orser, but I think you see a real improvement in her footwork sequence in terms of edges. But perhaps it's the normal non-duracel-bunny-like-Daniil choreo that brings that out.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I know people haven't really been commenting on this since she moved to Orser, but I think you see a real improvement in her footwork sequence in terms of edges. But perhaps it's the normal non-duracel-bunny-like-Daniil choreo that brings that out.
I agree. I had the same thoughts, especially watching that. Her fw sequence just looks sooo much better than years past. It's probably a little bit of both- improved skating and choreography.

LoopCombo

@Tavi, thank you for your thoughts regarding hypotheticals. I definitely see parallels between Liza being left off the Russian team this year due to illness and Medvedeva being injured last season and absent from the Grand Prix Final and Russian Nationals. Would Zagitova's PCS have risen to the point where her scores were so competitive with Medvedeva at the Olympics if Medvedeva had been able to defend her titles? The 'what if' game is bitter-sweet. Another way of looking at the Russian team selection for this year (different from how I was looking at it) is that the Russian federation still has faith in Evgenia, and I respect that. I also like what both Evgenia and Liza have said this year in interviews about moving on from disappointments. It's exciting that alongside the 'conveyor belt' of amazingly talented young skaters from Russia, there are also these stars of last season or just a few seasons ago, still young, still with so much potential, who want to take their skating to the next level and remain competitive with the up and coming skaters. Even Zagitova opted to compete in the post-Olympic season despite her Olympic gold. I love the fight in these skaters who want longer careers, and I'm looking forward to seeing them continue to evolve.

@Spun Silver, thank you for being understanding towards a conflicted Medvedeva fan. Hearing from her other fans on this thread (even those who were annoyed) was actually really helpful to me in terms of processing how I felt. I've enjoyed hearing other people's perspectives, such as @barbarafan who said they were shocked at Evgenia's selection and that Evgenia seemed like even she thought that Liza would be chosen. That is similar to how I felt, and then I was excited for Evgenia when she was chosen (but then I felt bad for Liza and worried for Evgenia). Evgenia looks like herself in the practice videos this week. It will be interesting to see how the competition unfolds.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
This was a very respectable performance for Zhenya, with shades of the past champion. This kind of music really suits her. A slight problem on the combination but I thought her OCSwould be a bit higher. Good luck in the LP. Zhenya has the ability to improve from competition to competition, but this maybe a little too soon. By next season I expect to see her get her confidence and consistency back.

barbarafan

Me too..

Apparently she injured her hip before fs.

Hope she is well enough to skate CSOI. Looking forward to seeing her.
I wondered if something had happened. When she got off the ice ...Brian hugged her and said she just hase to be brave for another 2 or 3 minutes . She did fantastic. I am thrilled she was on the podium. With her and Sofia's skate they had 3 spots for next year and then Alina won so you could not ask for more.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Congrats to Evgenia on the bronze!

I am so thrilled to see it's true that she'll be skating to Memoirs of a Geisha next season. Can't wait!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I wondered if something had happened. When she got off the ice ...Brian hugged her and said she just hase to be brave for another 2 or 3 minutes . She did fantastic. I am thrilled she was on the podium. With her and Sofia's skate they had 3 spots for next year and then Alina won so you could not ask for more.

You could see it as she came on the ice. She kept lifting her leg and rotating it at the hip joint.....either to open it up, relieve pain, or hope the cartridge and ligaments go or stay in place. (I have to do stuff like that often with my knees.)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
She should be very proud of this bronze medal. She was less than a point away from the silver. She even beat Rika Kihira (total score), so I won’ t write her off against the quad and triple axel jumpers next year.
This should give her the confidence and momentum going into the 2019-2020 season.

Fiero425

She should be very proud of this bronze medal. She was less than a point away from the silver. She even beat Rika Kihira (total score), so I won’ t write her off against the quad and triple axel jumpers next year.
This should give her the confidence and momentum going into the 2019-2020 season.

I was the most surprised in Rika's placement! I expected her to do a lot better! Will see the programs later! :rolleyes::summer:

floskate

Vacant
She was visibly limping at the end and clearly in a lot of discomfort so to deliver that performance under those conditions after the season she's had, well.....tough as old boots Janny is! Not a fan of the program but sooo good to see her skate so well. With a calmer off season to fully heal and more training under her belt, it will be exciting to see what her skating looks like next year. She may not make Worlds due to triple A but once the puberty monster hits them - as it surely will - she'll be ready waiting in the wings. Mad props to her for forging ahead on her own terms :respec:

Fiero425

For me, she just has total star quality. There is something about her that is really special. The competition in Russia is so brutal but I hope she can stick around nonetheless.

The last season has been scary looking at all the talent that exists in Russia on the ladies' side of things! IMO, the men are interchangeable and mediocre at best! Only where they're from is keeping Kolyada in the top tier of world skaters IMO! World and Olympic ladies champions were being openly challenged by not only other skaters in Mosco, but the media moved on! At one point it was only Maria Butyrskaya & Irina Slutskaya, now somone like Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's can be a World Champion, but the last few years it was like "WHO?!" Evgenia Medvedeva & Zagitova took over and before this comp., it looked as if they would be supplanted in short order! Good for them they've both bounced back! They should be very proud of themselves; esp. Alina who wasn't expected to sneak in there and steal Evgenia's thunder last season! It's so Kwan/Lipinski except AZ has backed up her Olympic win with a World title the following season! :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :oksana1: :sarah1: :sasha1: :yikes:

Zazy

That's awful. I mean she's 5'2, 43kg is very underweight even for someone as petite as Medvedeva. I'm sure she's right and that's why she got injured. :(

She definitely looked underweight the last few seasons. I'm glad she's willing to talk about it and now seems to have a more positive relationship to food - she has said previously that she's working with a nutritionist.

And obviously we can't truly know how she's feeling but it's striking how happy and healthy she looks right now, after what must have been a really difficult year. That's more important than winning (although both would be great for her, obviously).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information