Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

Tavi

@Tavi, Evgenia is my favorite figure skater. I posted in the fan thread because I am a fan. I love the way Evgenia emotes, I love her grace and grit, and I think she has a great personality. I liked her programs when she was with Eteri, and I am excited about her continuing career with Brian Orser. I want her to succeed, I want her to have a comeback and the long career she aspires to because I think she is a rare gem of figure skating and just all around great. I'm excited for her to improve even more -- she was already so talented. I just also didn't really feel like she was coming back so strongly as the current narrative implies, so strongly for her performances this season to be overlooked -- especially not from a technical standpoint. I felt like she got her mojo back after she skated badly in the short program at Russian nationals and saw how the fans were still loving her. But I just honestly don't feel like getting her confidence back is the same thing as being ready for Worlds or having had a great season. And I don't think she out-skated Tuktamysheva at the Russian Cup final -- it felt a lot more like a draw, and given their respective seasons, yes I thought the decision was unfair, and absolutely we can disagree. I really like Medvedeva, but even as her fan I felt conflicted at being excited that she made the Worlds team. I wonder if she will skate like she has all season and fall in at least one program, and not have that many difficult transitions, and not be quite technically on par with the top 5 or so ladies. I would understand and still cheer for her -- I'm surprised she's been as good as she has given all the changes and injuries -- but I wonder if it might make other skating fans dislike her. She's had so much hate this year already, and it seemed to really shake her confidence. I don't like to see favoritism in figure skating, and that is how her selection to the Worlds team strikes me. It doesn't mean that's what it actually was, and no doubt the Russian coaching council has more knowledge of who will do well and what is considered fair than I do. I hope Evgenia has a great competition at Worlds, but I also don't understand the need to rush her comeback. I thought her current trajectory looked more realistically like making the Worlds team next season. I personally don't like it when skaters are given preference due to reputation and past performances rather than how they are currently skating. It can make it harder for skaters who are currently skating well to get the opportunities and recognition they deserve. Let me put it this way, if Evgenia had had the season Tuktamysheva had and Tuktamysheva had had the season Evgenia just had, and Evgenia had gotten pneumonia, missed Nationals (where Tuktamysheva came in 4th of the seniors and 7th overall) and then the federation had chosen Tuktamysheva over Evgenia for Worlds based on a close result at the Russian Cup Final, I would not have understood that decision either. That may make me a bad Medvedeva fan, but I am a skating fan too, and I don't get much pleasure out of seeing even my favorites get team spots or scores that it doesn't feel like they earned.

P.S. I never would have posted this on Golden Skate because they are very clear that fan fest posts cannot veer from 100% positive. I was following Medvedeva's cheer thread on FS Universe and thought it looked more like a discussion of Medvedeva's performances this season. Maybe I jumped the gun. I don't want to barge in here and ruin the mood. She's a lovely skater, and in general I don't enjoy critiques that are dismissive or unkind to these wonderful, hard-working skaters. I do enjoy nuanced appraisals of how skaters are skating, though. Can someone recommend a better thread?

Hi Ruby - I think the “Russia with Love” thread is a good one for debating issues of fairness, etc. - although all disciplines are discussed and you will sometimes have to wade through a lot of tedious arguments - but I hope you will still continue to post your thoughts here, too. It’s not up to me to decide what should or shouldn’t be said in this thread! It honestly wasn’t clear to me from your first post that Evgenia is your favorite skater; given that she is, of course you should be able to post your thoughts about her here, too.

I personally don’t know anything about politics in figure skating, so I tend to ignore it. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, of course, but rarely is there any proof. So I try to think that decisions I may not understand or agree with have a rational basis somewhere.

Your hypothetical about reversing places made me think back to last year, when Evgenia got injured in the run up to the Olympics. Her absence from competition had huge consequences, didn’t it? But she’s moved beyond it. Hopefully, Liza will do the same.

barbarafan

@Tavi, Evgenia is my favorite figure skater. I posted in the fan thread because I am a fan. I love the way Evgenia emotes, I love her grace and grit, and I think she has a great personality. I liked her programs when she was with Eteri, and I am excited about her continuing career with Brian Orser. I want her to succeed, I want her to have a comeback and the long career she aspires to because I think she is a rare gem of figure skating and just all around great. I'm excited for her to improve even more -- she was already so talented. I just also didn't really feel like she was coming back so strongly as the current narrative implies, so strongly for her performances this season to be overlooked -- especially not from a technical standpoint. I felt like she got her mojo back after she skated badly in the short program at Russian nationals and saw how the fans were still loving her. But I just honestly don't feel like getting her confidence back is the same thing as being ready for Worlds or having had a great season. And I don't think she out-skated Tuktamysheva at the Russian Cup final -- it felt a lot more like a draw, and given their respective seasons, yes I thought the decision was unfair, and absolutely we can disagree. I really like Medvedeva, but even as her fan I felt conflicted at being excited that she made the Worlds team. I wonder if she will skate like she has all season and fall in at least one program, and not have that many difficult transitions, and not be quite technically on par with the top 5 or so ladies. I would understand and still cheer for her -- I'm surprised she's been as good as she has given all the changes and injuries -- but I wonder if it might make other skating fans dislike her. She's had so much hate this year already, and it seemed to really shake her confidence. I don't like to see favoritism in figure skating, and that is how her selection to the Worlds team strikes me. It doesn't mean that's what it actually was, and no doubt the Russian coaching council has more knowledge of who will do well and what is considered fair than I do. I hope Evgenia has a great competition at Worlds, but I also don't understand the need to rush her comeback. I thought her current trajectory looked more realistically like making the Worlds team next season. I personally don't like it when skaters are given preference due to reputation and past performances rather than how they are currently skating. It can make it harder for skaters who are currently skating well to get the opportunities and recognition they deserve. Let me put it this way, if Evgenia had had the season Tuktamysheva had and Tuktamysheva had had the season Evgenia just had, and Evgenia had gotten pneumonia, missed Nationals (where Tuktamysheva came in 4th of the seniors and 7th overall) and then the federation had chosen Tuktamysheva over Evgenia for Worlds based on a close result at the Russian Cup Final, I would not have understood that decision either. That may make me a bad Medvedeva fan, but I am a skating fan too, and I don't get much pleasure out of seeing even my favorites get team spots or scores that it doesn't feel like they earned.

P.S. I never would have posted this on Golden Skate because they are very clear that fan fest posts cannot veer from 100% positive. I was following Medvedeva's cheer thread on FS Universe and thought it looked more like a discussion of Medvedeva's performances this season. Maybe I jumped the gun. I don't want to barge in here and ruin the mood. She's a lovely skater, and in general I don't enjoy critiques that are dismissive or unkind to these wonderful, hard-working skaters. I do enjoy nuanced appraisals of how skaters are skating, though. Can someone recommend a better thread?
My respect and enjoyment for Evgenia continues to grow.She is on a great trajectory now and I am hopeful that she has a great worlds. The competition was totally hyped as being a skateoff between her and Liza and so it may have come down to that. It has been pointed out by several posters and others who really do know their skating that there are many things lacking in Liza's skating other than fantastic jump technique and that her PCS have been on the high side so I do not necessarily think she should of won the competition. I thought they would have gone against the results due to her triple axels and named Liza and was shocked they picked Evgenia and it appears she expected Liza to be named as well. Before decision she was on instagram touting Liza's skating and that she didn't want any nonsense from her fans about the decision. That being said she is very happy to go and she will fight like anything to give a good result for Russia as her passion and loyalty is so strong and I am glad a strong cohesive team of coaches will be there with her as TCC has several entries at worlds. I do agree that it might have been better for her progress physically to have not gone but if she does 2 clean programs and scores a season's best it will help her mentally and emotionally. And Russia better keep their 3 spots or she will take it very personally and be very upset that she could not do more.

Finsta

I agree the Russia thread is more batter for how you feel about Medvedeva. Lots of gossip and bashing her in that thread. You’ll fit in

kittysk8ts

On the topic of timing of becoming a Meds fan. I have always respected Meds’ and her skating but the day I became a “fan” was the day I watched her address the IOC before the decision was made with respect to Russian participation in Pyeongchang. Here she was this youthful person with the weight of a nation on her shoulders. I know it’s weird but she stole my heart and now has it forever. I am also one of the above mentioned Canadians who has a tendency to adopt those international skaters who come to Canada to train. There is no specific formula and there doesn’t need to be. And, lol, I do also enjoy her skating!

All IMHO, of course.

Loved the pic of her, Gabby, Jason, Jun and Yuzu at the last practice.

Spun Silver

@Ruby999 said Med is her favorite skater. If that doesn't qualify her to post in a cheer thread, I don't know what does.

I do understand why some people are chased out of fan threads, but that is usually because they are almost entirely critical, not fans by any definition. That's not true here.

It's not like this thread has a gazillion people posting Med's every move. It's taken 3-1/2 years to get to 544 posts. I would think there's room for a Med fan who's conflicted about the Russian team selection process.

JMO. I am new to the Med fan scene and have mixed feelings myself, so maybe I'm a bad judge.

alj5

Med looks pretty relaxed and happy. As the #3 Russian lady, I wonder if she's enjoying the reduction in pressure. (though I would personally consider her Russian #2 behind Sofia's stellar season).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Med looks pretty relaxed and happy. As the #3 Russian lady, I wonder if she's enjoying the reduction in pressure. (though I would personally consider her Russian #2 behind Sofia's stellar season).
Um.....no. I suspect Med always goes out there to win.

sykr

Skyr...I thought that Tursynbaeva was forced to leave Russia as all Russian coaches in Russia could only train Russian athletes prior to Sochi....now when that dicta has lapsed she was free to return to Eteri.

Thank you for clarifying this, you're most probably right. That said, it changes nothing, quite, on the contrary, the situation must have been even more difficult for Elisabeth if her departure was not voluntary.

@sykr, this is a cheer thread for Evgenia, not a thread about the comparative challenges and hardships faced by different skaters in their lives. It’s a fact that Evgenia didn’t move to Canada as a refugee, but if you think her move wasn’t challenging just because she’s not financially destitute or because her mother moved with her, it suggests a lack of imagination on your part.

I'm not going to fight with you. I stated I really appreciate Evgenia's determination and mental strength. The sad fact is some blind fans here have so little trust in her, that instead of being happy about her departure and willingness to try new things, they present their beloved Evgenia as if she was inexperienced, weak little girl, who is suffering because she might miss her favorite tv series on Russian TV or have to eat that horrible Canadian food. Sure, it is a change to her lifestyle, nobody said the opposite. But she decided to go for it and certainly didn't ask people to pity her. Other skaters are doing just fine abroad, I'm certain Zhenya can also handle it ;)

Tavi

Thank you for clarifying this, you're most probably right. That said, it changes nothing, quite, on the contrary, the situation must have been even more difficult for Elisabeth if her departure was not voluntary.

I'm not going to fight with you. I stated I really appreciate Evgenia's determination and mental strength. The sad fact is some blind fans here have so little trust in her, that instead of being happy about her departure and willingness to try new things, they present their beloved Evgenia as if she was inexperienced, weak little girl, who is suffering because she might miss her favorite tv series on Russian TV or have to eat that horrible Canadian food. Sure, it is a change to her lifestyle, nobody said the opposite. But she decided to go for it and certainly didn't ask people to pity her. Other skaters are doing just fine abroad, I'm certain Zhenya can also handle it ;)

I’m not sure who you’re talking about when you refer to “blind fans” and I won’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t “pity” Evgenia or think she’s “weak” or “suffering,” nor did I ever say she can’t “handle” the change.

For the record, although I like and admire Zhenya very much, I’m not an über-fan emotionally invested in her every move - but as I said previously, I do think your comments were inappropriate for this thread. Cheers.

Emdee

I thought it was cute that she didnt know how to handle bagged milk. I myself faced this challenge until someone explained one bought a plastic jug to store the opened bag.
I think that Med was all set to eat our horrible canadian food until she realized that not too far from where she lives are russian grocers where one can buy all manner of russian delicacies at very reasonable prices evidence of our immense multicultural nature.

I still maintain that she needed guts and determination to make the change and she has that in spades. There is a reason why Brian’s description of her is fierce and why she has become, despite her young age, a role model to other skaters at the TCC.

I hope she has great skates and is happy with her efforts as that is the only thing within her control.

barbarafan

I thought it was cute that she didnt know how to handle bagged milk. I myself faced this challenge until someone explained one bought a plastic jug to store the opened bag.
I think that Med was all set to eat our horrible canadian food until she realized that not too far from where she lives are russian grocers where one can buy all manner of russian delicacies at very reasonable prices evidence of our immense multicultural nature.

I still maintain that she needed guts and determination to make the change and she has that in spades. There is a reason why Brian’s description of her is fierce and why she has become, despite her young age, a role model to other skaters at the TCC.

I hope she has great skates and is happy with her efforts as that is the only thing within her control.
The guts and determination was shown not so much going to a foreign country where most everything was unknown but to decide that when she was so crushed emotionally and physically very injured that it was not anyone else's job to tell her she was finished but for her to figure out what she had left and start to build back up from there. The Power Within!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Thousands of students go to foreign countries every year where they (at least some of them) don't know anyone, but they work hard - sometimes work on campus and study- and make good grades too. While Zhenya did the right thing in going to Orser, I don't see why she should be considered courageous just for going to a foreign country, where she is already well known.

I remember that Yuko Kawaguti was criticized on fsu for leaving her country, in order to pursue her dream. I think Zhenya's courage was in leaving the coach who had helped her get to the top, in order to pursue her long term goals ( to skate for many years).

Just to make it clear (since this is a cheer thread)- this is not a criticism of Zhenya. It is a criticism of those who think she showed great courage in going to a foreign country. This is not courage, but rather the right coaching decision, after recognizing quickly that she would not have a preferred place in Eteri's group anymore. That showed intelligence.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Thousands of students go to foreign countries every year where they (at least some of them) don't know anyone, but they work hard - sometimes work on campus and study- and make good grades too. While Zhenya did the right thing in going to Orser, I don't see why she should be considered courageous just for going to a foreign country, where she is already well known.

I remember that Yuko Kawaguti was criticized on fsu for leaving her country, in order to pursue her dream. I think Zhenya's courage was in leaving the coach who had helped her get to the top, in order to pursue her long term goals ( to skate for many years).

Just to make it clear (since this is a cheer thread)- this is not a criticism of Zhenya. It is a criticism of those who think she showed great courage in going to a foreign country. This is not courage, but rather the right coaching decision, after recognizing quickly that she would not have a preferred place in Eteri's group anymore. That showed intelligence.

How about if we just agree that it is most likely difficult for anyone to move to a foreign country. I moved with 4 kids to England..........it was hard.

As to Med.............IMO it took enormous maturity and dedication to take a deep breath, pick yourself up, start all over again. ... to borrow from Dorothy Fields.

Tavi

You may feel her decision showed “intelligence“ rather than courage or some other trait. Other people feel differently.

I’m not sure why this thread has morphed into a meta-discussion of Zhenya’s fans, but frankly, I’d rather discuss the fact that she did a clean SP run through in practice, and Jackie Wong noted a huge difference in her 2A.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You may feel her decision showed “intelligence“ rather than courage or some other trait. Other people feel differently.

I’m not sure why this thread has morphed into a meta-discussion of Zhenya’s fans, but frankly, I’d rather discuss the fact that she did a clean SP run through in practice, and Jackie Wong noted a huge difference in her 2A.

Everybody has noticed the improvement in her 2A, months earlier. What is so special about Jackie Wong noticing it now?

A clean practice does not guarantee a clean competition performance. Sure it feels good but competition is the only real thing. I will wait until she skates the SP there.

ETA- I do t think you understood my post. You made a false equivalence. I said that leaving Eteri was intelligent. Others said going to another country was courageous. Two very different things. I do t expect you to understand that however if you are biased.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Where did you find this info. I really hope she can surprise people and win!

Emdee

I myself as a single young woman took the big step of migrating to Canada. I was shaking in my boots when I made the transition. I didnt have language difficulties but emotionally, culturally it was extremely hard. It took me some time to see Canada as a brave new world. Having done that I can empathize with her!

Yes, she made the intelligent decision as well. But, I wanted to explain my empathy.

Emdee

Everybody has noticed the improvement in her 2A, months earlier. What is so special about Jackie Wong noticing it now?

A clean practice does not guarantee a clean competition performance. Sure it feels good but competition is the only real thing. I will wait until she skates the SP there.
Brian did tell her it would take 18 months to set her on the right track so naturally the first step is getting it right in practice!

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The guts and determination was shown not so much going to a foreign country where most everything was unknown but to decide that when she was so crushed emotionally and physically very injured that it was not anyone else's job to tell her she was finished but for her to figure out what she had left and start to build back up from there. The Power Within!

I don't think anyone thought or told her she was finished after the Olympics. She has said many times that she wants to compete for many years and wants to win the OGM.She showed great perseverance in delivering two clean performances at the Olympics, despite her injuries, and frankly she should have won there. Alina’s SP marks were ridiculously high. Nobody could doubt Zhenya’s strength of mind. The injuries were going to heal, because none of them sounded like career ending.

The way things are with the junior ladies, it was not rocket science to figure out that she would not be number one or even two, once Trusova et al. Became senior eligible. Sometimes people stick around, hoping that things would get better for them, and they never do. Zhenya was smart in recognizing that she needed to go to another coach and environment ASAP. Only time will tell if she picked the right coach, but at least initially it seemed like the best one, given his coaching record.

barbarafan

ETA- I do t think you understood my post. You made a false equivalence. I said that leaving Eteri was intelligent. Others said going to another country was courageous. Two very different things. I do t expect you to understand that however because you are so biased.

Maybe I have him confused with someone else but was he not at some point a tech.controller or something like that.

puglover

I know Carolina Kostner is a very different skater and from a very different country without the huge domestic competition but over the years she has made such a wonderful name for herself and attracted so many new fans to her skating. I could see a career like that for Zhenya - a beloved skater who transcends national bias and becomes beloved.
How many of the big competitions she wins remains to be seen but she has that certain something that draws people in. I am so glad she is continuing as I feel she can make a very interesting adult lady skater.

Fiero425

Brian did tell her it would take 18 months to set her on the right track so naturally the first step is getting it right in practice!

Will she be competitive this week? I haven't seen her since the GP where she fell to 7th; SHOCKING! :duh: :oksana1: :sarah1:

Emdee

Will she be competitive this week? I haven't seen her since the GP where she fell to 7th; SHOCKING! :duh: :oksana1: :sarah1:
We all know that she was injured
We all know that she is reworking her technique
We all know that her SP which I enjoyed was too much too soon...

So what is your point?

Time will tell whether she will be competitive but that doesn’t take away from the special something she has...which is why we are her fans.

Fiero425

We all know that she was injured
We all know that she is reworking her technique
We all know that her SP which I enjoyed was too much too soon...

So what is your point?

Time will tell whether she will be competitive but that doesn’t take away from the special something she has...which is why we are her fans.

Honey, it's just a question! Don't take offense! None intended! Get over yourself! :wall: :COP: :judge: :kickass: :oksana1: :sarah1: :sasha1:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I know Carolina Kostner is a very different skater and from a very different country without the huge domestic competition but over the years she has made such a wonderful name for herself and attracted so many new fans to her skating. I could see a career like that for Zhenya - a beloved skater who transcends national bias and becomes beloved.
How many of the big competitions she wins remains to be seen but she has that certain something that draws people in. I am so glad she is continuing as I feel she can make a very interesting adult lady skater.

The big difference is that Carolina was always guaranteed world and Olympic berths. So she could take chances and develop her skating. That is where Zhenya has a near impossible task. She could always develop into a great show skater but I think she has a competitive mindset (like Michelle) and she will not be satisfied being just a show skater. She may still get the third Russian spot, with some luck, for worlds. If she gets her consistency back, her chances will be much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information