Canadian Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
G&P won the free dance but not enough to win the title!

Looking forward to see how both teams attack Worlds!

Will F/B&S get to go? Or do they need to sit out still?

The Observer

I'm glad G/P won the FD because that performance was stunning. I was underwhelmed by WeaPo today, though I'm happy Andrew's twizzles seem to have improved. Loved FB/S program. So great at presenting the style!

I thought Weaver & Poje were a little overmarked, and I would have given the title to Gilles & Poirier, but congratulations to G&P for winning the Free Dance with another great skate to Vincent's Starry Night.

And yes, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorsensen made a very strong debut at Canadians.

Soucisse & Firus really struggled tonight with a lot of errors, but they didn't get upset and handled their disappointment very well.

Rafter

I thought Weaver & Poje were a little overmarked, and I would have given the title to Gilles & Poirier, but congratulations to G&P for winning the Free Dance with another great skate to Vincent's Starry Night.

And yes, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorsensen made a very strong debut at Canadians.

Soucisse & Firus really struggled tonight with a lot of errors, but they didn't get upset and handled their disappointment very well.

Interesting because I thought G/P were overmarked in the RD and there should have been a bigger gap in scores between W/P and G/P going into the FD.

W/Ps FD doesn’t have a musical impact the way G/Ps does, but W/P were seamlesss and the lifts were incredible. It really flew by for me. Kaitlyn’s really improved IMO.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Ugggggg

ANL needs to vent.

Just watched the top 2 Free Dances from Canadian Nats...

And I just dont understand how the free dance of G&P, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1b5sTM_nkg did not score more than 5-10 points higher than W&P, another good Canadian team...

This is a masterpiece.... To go further I dont even understand how this wont at least capture the silver at Worlds......

I guess just politics as usual... or then I dont know what.... But in the end..If I dont see a program such as this (in combination with a great RD) and its not getting Gold at Nats and a World medal it makes me then just want to abort Ice Dance. arghhhhhh

This is going to make me go right back to peanut butter cups.

C

casken

W&P have higher skating quality, that's why they won. The Tango Romantica sequence in the RD made that clear as day.

The only lost the FD becuase they got a level 2 on a spin.

The emotional stuff people are citing in favor of G&P don't weigh as heavily with judges.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^^^^ :angryfire:angryfire

I may not be a dance expert... but those twizzles off G&P seem far superior to those of W&P.

And also the speed (as commentated by Tracy) seems much faster than W&P too. As G&P can get speed from absolutely nowhere.

So I wouldn't say its "just emotion" from G&P. I wsant even citing "emotion" from their program in my post.... their skating skills, speed, twizzles and mastery of innovation is what draws me in.

Id also say G&P have advantage on lifts too (or at least the innovation.)

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
G&P skated their FD the best they ever have, and W&P had a handful of tight or sketchy spots + the level 2 spin noted above. Good for them winning the free!

Caveat: I haven't watched either team live this year, and I don't think I've seen them at the same competition live, so I may not have the best perception on speed. However... I don't find that G&P maintain their speed/flow as well as a lot of elite teams. They do pick up speed quickly, but does it carry?

It's a tough one - I think G&P are at their best this year, but then so are many other teams. W&P are skating better than ever this year as well. It's exciting for Canadian ice dance that they can place close together dependent on performance. My preference/what I value in a team puts W&P ahead. The Danadians will be up there next year, too -- I'd like them to be closer now, but it makes sense to see how chips fall internationally.

Dobre

And also the speed (as commentated by Tracy) seems much faster than W&P too. As G&P can get speed from absolutely nowhere.

I'll eat my hat if G&P are faster than W&P. They may get speed out of nowhere, but my guess is that is because they are not going all that fast previously in the program. The comment doesn't mean they are faster or maintain speed as consistently throughout the performance as W&P.

I haven't seen G&P skate live for a while now. I will let you know if my impression of the speed comparison between these two teams has changed when I get to see them at 4CCs. I did see W&P skate live last season at SC. I thought they were every bit as fast as Hubbell & Donohue. And I thought both teams were faster than Virtue & Moir.

manhn

I love the changes made by G and P. Their one foot step sequence is so fast and used to a fast part of the music, which is unusual I believe. And that stop at the end is fantastic. I hope they can skate that well outside of a Canadian setting.

skategal

Bunny mama
I thought G/P skated Vincent better at SC. They seemed freer there and not as nervous. SC was sublime and I don't think it will be matched by them this season.

That being said, they performed the FD very, very well at Canadians. Second best of the year for me.

I really enjoyed all 3 of the top FDs.

It's so exciting.

SamuraiK

Will Fournier & Sorensen minimuns earned as a DEN team count for 4CC qualification or will they have to sit out that comp? I don't worry about Worlds cause theres time to get them at some senior B.

yurokis40

Both of the top 2 were fantastic I give the slight edge to Weapo Because of Kaitlyn Weaver she has taken her skating to a whole new level so smooth and graceful, plus it was nice seeing Igor there having him as a coach for worlds could be crucial for a medal.

Colonel Green

A brief aside about junior ice dance: it's impressive as hell that Natalie and Bruce can find the time to compete in both junior singles and junior dance (Bruce doing the rhythm dance and the men's short program on the same day = :kickass:), and in his case do pretty well in his event, but at this point it's clear that they are dance stars in the making. Next season they should probably just focus on ice dance.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada has entered Lajoie/Lagha & Fabbri/Ayer (their Jr. Worlds teams), along with their top 2 Novice dance teams at Nationals - Sophia Kagolovskaya/Kieran MacDonald & Kiera Kam/Mathew Carter - to the 2019 Bavarian Open, February 5-10 in Oberstdorf, Germany.

Colonel Green

Marjorie/Zach and Alicia/Paul are comfortably #1-2 after the rhythm dance at the Bavarian Open, with 67.35 and 58.54, respectively (the third-place team got 53.63).

In the advanced novice competition after the two pattern dances, Sophia Kagolovskaya/Kieran MacDonald are in first (68.47), about four points ahead of the second-place French team. Keira Kam/Matthew Carter are in third, but second through fourth are all effectively tied with around 64 points.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Marjorie/Zach and Alicia/Paul are comfortably #1-2 after the rhythm dance at the Bavarian Open, with 67.35 and 58.54, respectively (the third-place team got 53.63).

In the advanced novice competition after the two pattern dances, Sophia Kagolovskaya/Kieran MacDonald are in first (68.47), about four points ahead of the second-place French team. Keira Kam/Matthew Carter are in third, but second through fourth are all effectively tied with around 64 points.
Only saw part of Marjorie & Zack as the livestream stopped..and changed to New tape?disc?or whatever so it is not on the archive. Sharon Rogers liked them...but she buried Alicia/Paul with total GOE +2 and pcs way below norm...(she did not like Russians and a Spanish team) but was ok with the rest. Can't wait for the free tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information