NBC Sports Gold figure skating pass - feedback, troubleshooting, pros/cons, etc.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
The email wasn't clear, though, since it just talked about the app. It does say at the bottom (in small print) that content is available on the NBC Sports Gold website, but the 'announcement' is a little misleading. They probably should have specified "mobile content".

When I downloaded the new app, it first asked me if I subscribe to such-and-such premium sports channel in my area, which I don't, then took me to a page to ask if I wanted specific content or alerts for those markets. I kept tapping the "next" button and it took me to the main page.

Thanks so much for the clarity.

momnatur

I tried to look at this stuff yesterday, with very little success. Then this morning, I saw that the NBCSports app was updated. So I just tried agan. I can't say that see the nuinces involved, and the additional confusion is not idealy timed either.

I didn't get any of the questions that Kwanette got. And I didn't see any of the figure skating that should be coming up in the next couple of weeks (Nationals and Europeans) on NBCSp or NBCSGd, which really concerns me. And ONLY after I chose either Replays or Clips on NBCSGd, did I see any content.

I don't know, guys, but this really has me worried.

Thank you, everybody, for commenting about this latest, ..... uh, what is the right word...

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I tried to look at this stuff yesterday, with very little success. Then this morning, I saw that the NBCSports app was updated. So I just tried agan. I can't say that see the nuinces involved, and the additional confusion is not idealy timed either.

I didn't get any of the questions that Kwanette got. And I didn't see any of the figure skating that should be coming up in the next couple of weeks (Nationals and Europeans) on NBCSp or NBCSGd, which really concerns me. And ONLY after I chose either Replays or Clips on NBCSGd, did I see any content.

Thank you, everybody, for commenting about this latest, ..... uh, what is the right word...

I was asking a question re: watching on desk top.I didn't try the app.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’m not too worried. Someone here will figure it was it and post the full details.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Nationals and euros are too far out to be listed as upcoming right now. It is correct that you will only see figure skating content as replays right now.

honey

I don’t see the NBCSports app on the App Store; I assume because I am in Canada? Which is going to present a problem if I want to watch any of US nats via a mobile device. I think the website will work for me (using my username/password from the figure skating pass), but kind of sucks that I won’t be able to have the flexibility any more. The only apps I see are the NBC Gold and some NBC sports score tracker and radio apps. Am I missing anything here? I assume it’s a geoblocking issue in the App Store.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I never understood having two apps from the get go - especially with the number of devices they support (iOS, android, roku, amazon tv, others?). That is a lot of double work. I have not received any email, it must have gone to my spam or something.
That said, with the high quality they have delivered so far, I am not concerned. I assume it might take a little while for them to migrate all their passes to all their different platforms - I expect the app to be updated at different times at different platforms.

and I assume I can always fallback to web - it is much easier to update a website than an app, imo.

Aceon6

The NBC Sports app update is in the iTunes Store if you’re an iDevice person. It’s clearly labeled that the Gold features are being merged into the general NBC Sports app. I checked by signing in and all the GPF replays are there. They’ve even given the Figure Skating Pass it’s own little icon in the top menu. Sweet!

I commend their timing. Rolling it out now gives people plenty of time to update and test before Euros/USNats.

At some point, I expect NBC to retire the dedicated Gold app.

Debbie S

I have the app downloaded and was able to log in but it keeps freezing. As in, I can't scroll or click on anything and anything that was loading stops. I tried this a couple of times. And then I can't hit the back button on my phone, I can only hit the button on the left to display all the app windows and close the NBC app. My phone is an Android, only a year old. :mad:

Aceon6

I have the app downloaded and was able to log in but it keeps freezing. As in, I can't scroll or click on anything and anything that was loading stops. I tried this a couple of times. And then I can't hit the back button on my phone, I can only hit the button on the left to display all the app windows and close the NBC app. My phone is an Android, only a year old. :mad:
Try a reset of your device. If that doesn’t clear things up, try an uninstall, reset, then reinstall.

Debbie S

Try a reset of your device. If that doesn’t clear things up, try an uninstall, reset, then reinstall.
I didn't do a reset but I did uninstall and then reinstall. It started to work but loads slowly and does get stuck (and takes a few min to get unstuck) while loading. I was able to get the GPF events to play but when I finished and exited and came back, same problem, sigh.

maureenfarone

I was able to get the NBC Sports App for my Roku, but I had to call NBC Sports Customer Service at 833-888-6227 for help. The tech walked me through the process but even though I kept getting a message that said that the activation code had been accepted, my Roku wouldn't update. The tech said there was a problem which they could see which would be reported to their tech staff.

I had been very concerned because NBC states that to have that app you have to have a cable/satellite subscription which I don't have. Probably because they are merging Gold Pass into the app I didn't have to verify a subscription which is a great relief to me.

Aceon6

I just updated my Fire Stick. I had to reauthorize and log in again, but everything seems to be working. I still need to do the other TV.

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
I downloaded nbcsports, reauthorized my firestick, and can view nbc sports figure skating - but only the ISU Content is showing. Regionals and Sectionals are missing.

maureenfarone

I downloaded nbcsports, reauthorized my firestick, and can view nbc sports figure skating - but only the ISU Content is showing. Regionals and Sectionals are missing.
Maybe they just haven't moved everything yet. I was checking this morning and all the GP for this season, Worlds, Euro, and GPs from last season are now up. I don't see any of the regionals/sectionals yet.

Debbie S

There are a bunch of Regionals vids now up, although not all (I only see 1 vid from South Atlantics). No Sectionals vids, though.

The app was easier for me to work today. Hopefully, it will stay that way and the freezing was just a short-term glitch.

SkateGem

I don't know if this is helpful, but I have figure skating events selected to DVR and the following events are showing up to be recorded (times are central)

Thursday, 1/24 Pairs Short 4pm - 6pm NBCSN
Thursday, 1/24 Ladies Short 8pm - 10pm NBCSN
Friday, 1/25 Rhythm Dance 3pm - 5pm NBCSN
Friday, 1/25 Ladies FS 7pm - 10pm NBC
Sat, 1/26 FS (maybe Pairs? - it only says Free Skate) and Mens Short 12:30 - 3:30pm NBC
Sat, 1/26 Free Dance 6pm - 8pm NBCSN
Sun, 1/27 Mens FS 2:30pm - 5pm NBC

Events from the European Championships are occurring in some of the time gaps between US events - if there is any interest, I am happy to provide those dates and times as well - they are all on NBC SN.

I have an NBC Gold account, but I am not seeing any schedule there yet.

Sylvia

TBD

AJ Skatefan

My NBC Sports app appears to work on my Roku but there are no replays available. I can get replays on my phone however. Anyone have a solution?

maureenfarone

My NBC Sports app appears to work on my Roku but there are no replays available. I can get replays on my phone however. Anyone have a solution?
When I select NBC Sports, Figure Skating, and replays I don't get any replays either. But when I select NBC Sports, then select NBC Gold on the same line as NBC Sports appears, then Figure Skating, and then Replays everything shows up. Hope this helps.

sharsk8s

Do they ever have commentators? I am watching the replays and none of them have commentators

sharsk8s

I like when charlie commentated and tanith/ben. They are really respectful (unlike tara and johnny) and wait till the end of the program. Also they are really knowledgeable.

dewey

I am logged in, but when I click the "play" button next to the video, I get a page that says, "please sign in with your NBC Sports Gold Email and Password." When I click "sign in" again, it just keeps repeating that page. Anybody else having this problem?

Spun Silver

I am logged in, but when I click the "play" button next to the video, I get a page that says, "please sign in with your NBC Sports Gold Email and Password." When I click "sign in" again, it just keeps repeating that page. Anybody else having this problem?
I had to go sign in on the main website, then it opened the event in the app.

The app is a little shaky, similar to Ice Network in its choppy feed. Alas! Also, I had double, unsynced sound for the first three skaters in the ladies SP and tried everything I could think of to stop one of them, but it finally fixed itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information