The Sofia Samodurova cheer thread

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She posted "Mood❤" in her Insta stories when the final standings came out. :)

Wyliefan

New interview with Sofia: http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-...a-medvedevu-i-edet-na-final-gran-pri-1484162/. It comes out pretty awkwardly and difficult to understand in Google Translate, so I won't post it all, but here are a few tidbits I picked up:

--She cried for Evgenia but felt happy for herself over making the Grand Prix Final. "There were mixed emotions."
--She hopes to start doing the triple axel, but not until after the GPF. She thinks Liza does it better than Rika, not just because they're friends and training mates, but because Liza gets more height.
--She thinks Twitter is boring, but likes Instagram.
--She likes rap and pop music. She's a big fan of mystery novels, especially Agatha Christie's.
--She's a good student who does her homework while traveling to competitions (though she hates physics). She gets a lot of support at school and from fans in general. She likes to meet fans through social media; one of them gave her a camera and perfume.

If I've messed anything up, please correct me!

Finsta

she is very nice sweet girl and good skater. It too bad fans take things too far and start throwing the dirt at her. Wish her well and strong skates in her future. Time will tell about triple axel. Excellent coach will guide her

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw her win the bronze at GPF and I was thrilled for her. I was very impressed by her two clean performances. Sure she is still developing but she doesn't just check off the jumps. She skates to the music and performs to it. She has been very consistent this season and I hope she carries that into the Europeans and I hope she gets on the worlds 2019 team. I don't understand why people are surprised to see her on the Euros team. She has been The most consistent Russian lady (senior) this season.

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Banned Member
After her Euros performances, especially her Free Skate, I am officially an UBER!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: #burlesqueforthewin #mishinwomenrock

Wyliefan

I was disappointed not to get to watch her live, but when I finally did, she was magical. :swoon:

One thing I noticed is that her energy was much better in this performance. All season she's started to lag a bit in the middle of the free skate. I remember one performance (Russian nats?) where it looked like she went into the ending poses early because she was winded. It was good to see her bring so much more energy to it yesterday.

Wyliefan

NBCSports interview with Sofia: https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...y-in-the-sport/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

If I understand correctly, she seems to hint that we should be looking at her exhibition for clues to future program possibilities. While she skated really well to Celine -- and while the Burlesque program certainly has its issues! -- I hope we don't get too many GFB programs from her. She's too good at the livelier, more exciting style. I still say I'd love to see what she could have done with Liza's free program from this year.

Wyliefan

Congratulations to Sofia on officially making the World team. There was never much doubt, but it has to feel good to see it in black and white. (Especially when your federation is pretty clearly nuts and totally unpredictable.)

And in her Instastories she's working out at the gym like a little Rocky Balboa. :lol: :respec: Go girl!

tripleflutz

Banned Member
I really hope she can medal at worlds this year. I like her a lot. I think she is also a bit of a late bloomer, and is only getting better and will continue to improve. Of all the older Russians she is the one I give the best shot to survive amongst the onslaught of the youngsters.

Wyliefan

In the competition thread, we had a bit of a discussion of Sofia's SP -- clean but slow -- and whether she can improve her speed and ice coverage under Mishin. I think he's a great coach and she's thriving with him, but unfortunately, those things are not his strengths. She strikes me as a smart and ambitious girl who knows what kind of competition she's facing, so I truly hope she can figure this out and find a way to get there. Everything else she does is so good, I just hate to see her lack of speed holding her back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information