U.S. Men in 2018 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

I think we are definitely seeing more people dinged on more jumps for URs this season. It is a bit difficult to tell how many of these people are being dinged more often for the same quality of jumps, though, vs. how many athletes are being dinged because the quality of their jump rotation has changed--largely due to growing up. There are quite a number of athletes--I would guess including Vincent and I'm pretty positive including Marin, Karen, Andrews, Medvedeva, Matsuda, Panenkova, Shiraiwa--who have matured physically since last season. And many of them are struggling more with the jumps because of it. Also many have changed coaches at least partly because of this struggle, which means they are also learning new technique. And maybe even some are dealing with new injuries as they are still adjusting to new physical challenges. So it could be something of a snowball effect. The rule change is probably just one piece of a larger puzzle.

I don't think Bradie has noticeably grown any since last year, and she is getting dinged more this year. The new combo, of course, wasn't in her program last year so that is part of it; but her other jumps are the same, I assume, and are certainly receiving more deductions. She used to receive URs in juniors, but she has gained more power since then so my guess is that 1. her jumps really did improve since juniors, but 2. the new rule change is making a difference with the calls for those improved jumps.

Last edited:

Tavi

Harshness in general, or specifically regarding Vincent? Vincent has had this problem before the stricter standard was adopted this season, so it's hard to know how much it's really affecting his marks. Obviously, whenever the ISU tightens the rules regarding rotations more skaters are going to get dinged for it, and particularly early in the season when pacing and fitness haven't peaked it seems logical to expect more under-rotated jumps.

Good point about it being early in the season- I didn’t even think of that. But my sense is that this year, it’s not just that skaters get a tiny bit less leeway, it’s that the rule is being applied more strictly than maybe it was in past seasons, just like rules for spin and footwork levels. I wasn’t really thinking about Vincent specifically bc as you said his problems have been ongoing. I feel kind of sorry for him bc he does seem to be trying hard to improve and it’s not clear where the problem is.

Marco

I sort of like the rules changing applications / goal post every once in a while. If you are a pure skater and have strong enough technique, you are not likely to be as affected by the rule changes compared to other competitors. Skaters / coaches who only focus on the big tricks / flavour of the month type elements for quick results but place less emphasis on basics and technique are always going to find themselves vulnerable and have to hope for the rules swinging in their favour.

Like, I wouldn't worry about Patrick Chan or Yuzuru Hanyu.

layman

I sort of like the rules changing applications / goal post every once in a while. If you are a pure skater and have strong enough technique, you are not likely to be as affected by the rule changes compared to other competitors. Skaters / coaches who only focus on the big tricks / flavour of the month type elements for quick results but place less emphasis on basics and technique are always going to find themselves vulnerable and have to hope for the rules swinging in their favour.

Like, I wouldn't worry about Patrick Chan or Yuzuru Hanyu.
Hanyu has been getting a lot more UR calls this season too.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't believe this Camden Pulkinen article link was posted in this thread because it was published right before Skate America (October 16): https://goldenskate.com/2018/10/camden-pulkinen/
Excerpts:
“I know my skating is a little introverted,” he admitted. “I want to look up into the crowd more and produce movements that rise into the stadium and that’s something I need to work on. I think with time and experience, it will improve.”
Before the JGP Final, the skater wants to improve his step sequences and achieve a level four with high Grades of Execution (GOE).
“I also want to polish my skating even more to the point of senior quality,” he said. “I also want to improve upon the spins in both programs. I think my spins could always use some improvement and can be faster. Being a more experienced junior skater now, I want to use that to my advantage and bring an even more mature side to both programs.”
Pulkinen, who is originally from Scottsdale, Ariz., moved out to Colorado Springs with his mother in June 2016. His mother was born in Thailand and his father, who is of Finnish and French descent, is currently still in Scottsdale looking after his grandmother on his mother’s side. His sister, Elena, is in California pursuing a degree in neuroscience at UCLA.
“My father comes out a lot to visit, so that’s good,” said the teen, who enjoys yoga and spending time with his mother doing outdoor activities like hiking. “I don’t like to be inside much and don’t watch a lot of TV. I do love food and eating, though!
The athlete started his first year at UCCS (University of Colorado Colorado Springs) in August and is studying Business Finance. “I might switch to Business Accounting, but I definitely want to work with numbers and perhaps be a Financial Advisor or Stock Manager agent. The possibilities are endless.”

Marco

Hanyu has been getting a lot more UR calls this season too.

Sure - not everyone is 100% all the time. I don't think Yuzuru has any particular glaring technical weakness that will make his jumps vulnerable. Unfortunately, the type of systemic treatment that Vincent is getting so far this season indicates a fundamental flaw in technique (more than just an off day or minor glitch) that the judging system is paying close attention to this season.

If pre-rotation becomes a thing to ding next season, Shoma will be in trouble too.

Jammers

Nathan can skate much better then that. He should be over 100+ with this SP but he keeps making big mistakes.

VGThuy

I'm just going to say Nathan is such a talent that he can still pull off very difficult routines well, and he's obviously disciplined enough to keep training and keep up with his studies. And I love his skating, energy, and the fact he really seems to care about the performance side and has some artistic integrity. But his collegiate career will only get harder in the next years and I already see the quality of his skating sort of decreasing a bit and being sloppier. I was hoping Nathan would work on cleaning his form and finishing his positions as he got older but the opposite is happening and he's now skating to maintain his level rather than improve. I sort of wanted him to evolve to be closer being a real contender against the likes of Yuzuru and others who at their best will score above his best. Of course, it's only been one semester. Who knows what he'll decide to do for the next 3 years.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I appreciate that at least he's still interested in doing complex and creative programs. And it's crazy to think about the discipline it takes to train pretty much by himself at this level! As you say, he's got time to figure things out, and in the meantime he's doing what he can to keep up.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ LOL, I saw that last night. (Actually was a GREAT episode.. I LOVES me some Karen Walker). And Lorraine Finnster!!!!!

When I saw the barman I was like he looks like Adam Rippon...

Jammers

I would love to see Camden go to someone like Raf and have him work on his jumps with him. I don't have much faith in Tom Z and less so with Tammy Gambill. Nevber been a big fan of Tom Z his skaters always seemed so and had bad choreography and Tammy's skaters can't rotate their jumps and plus she can't seem to take her skaters to the next level and make them real contenders. When you look at it Karen only really has had a couple of great competitions and they were both back in 2017 at Nationals and Worlds but otherwise she's struggled internationally and has never come close to even winning a GP medal. That girl should be winning medals by the bucket with her natural talent.

Firedancer

Totally agree. I really enjoy Cam’s skating. He is so talented and is not a typical Tom Z skater that is just about the jumps. He needs someone who can help him continue to develop his artistic side while becoming more consistent with the jumps he has now and developing the harder jumps. I have no faith in Tom or Tammy to do this. And I hate to see him have a whole career of occasional success but never consistently putting it together to be at the top, the way we have seen with Vincent (I know he is still young), Karen, Ricky Dornbush, Max, etc. And I would say the same about Andrew Torgashev. So talented but I don’t have faith in Christy Krall to help him either.

Sylvia

TBD
TeamUSA.org article by Nick McCarvel: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2018/D...x-Final-Champion-Keeping-Perfect-Season-Alive
"I'm glad I was able to pull it together in the second half of the program," Chen, 19, said in reference to a fall on an attempted quadruple Lutz. "I'm not quite where I want to be. (But) this was the first free skate I did this season with more than three quads. I wanted to improve off of what I did last competition... and I did that."
He will now set his sights on a third straight national title, the U.S. championships set for late January in Detroit.
"I just want to keep improving," Chen told reporters. "I missed that Lutz (in the free skate), so that's what I'm thinking about right now. I like to focus on the present and try not to dwell on the past. It's on to the next."
“I’m really excited to go back to California and train with a lot of my teammates, that’s been an aspect of my skating that’s lacking,” Chen said later. “In New Haven, I’m either practicing by myself or with skaters who are not at the level as my training mates in California. I think (being at home a little) will help me prepare for nationals and potentially worlds. That’s something nice to look forward to. But, right now, I need to focus on one thing at a time.”
Chen wants to also spend more time working on the artistic side of his skating, having had his short program choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne and his free skate by Marie-France Dubreuil, both of whom are former competitors and world medalists.
“The team that they have in Montreal is pretty incredible,” Chen said of Dubreuil’s camp, which features some of the best ice dance duos in the world. “It’s been a great experience for me (working there). I want to go back to Montreal soon. I have a lot of work to be done on the free skate and there are a lot of things that can just be better in general.”

barbk

^^^ LOL, I saw that last night. (Actually was a GREAT episode.. I LOVES me some Karen Walker). And Lorraine Finnster!!!!!

When I saw the barman I was like he looks like Adam Rippon...

He was very good. (I'm not sure why I'm surprised at that, but I am. I can see him moving in that direction for a career.)

Marco

I am glad but also somewhat conflicted that Jason seems to be doing well so far this season without a quad at all.

The competition / contrast between Jason and Vincent couldn't have been clearer.

Tavi

I am glad but also somewhat conflicted that Jason seems to be doing well so far this season without a quad at all.

The competition / contrast between Jason and Vincent couldn't have been clearer.

Why would you be conflicted?

Marco

Why would you be conflicted?

Because I think he is eventually going to need a quad to make Worlds even if he may not need it this season. I hope his results don't convince him to drop training the quad altogether.

layman

Because I think he is eventually going to need a quad to make Worlds even if he may not need it this season. I hope his results don't convince him to drop training the quad altogether.
Unlikely in Orser's camp where he is surrounded by quadsters every day plus Orser has said that they are working on new technique for the quad, but it's going to take time to master. I think Jason is definitely working on the quad but it's just not ready yet.

I am proud of Jason. His skating is starting to take on a pristine quality. I see improvements all round, starting with the way he strokes and glides. I can see that all of his hard work with Brian, Lee, Karen and Tracy is starting to pay off.

Last edited:

olympic

I think Nathan's holiday break from school is soon? Won't it be almost a month long? That would give him time to concentrate completely on training. I think he will skip 4CCs due to school.

Tavi

I doubt Jason will stop working on the quad even though it’s not in his programs right now. I think he wants to be in the mix for World medals, and he knows he needs a quad to do it. To me the current low tech FS makes sense because it is helping him (1) solidify his grasp on the new technique; (2) regain confidence; and (3) get back on people’s radar. IMO it would make sense if they set as an interim goal achieving higher jump GOE (+4) in the FS, but we’ll see what he does at Nats.

Colonel Green

Yeah, the current jump content makes sense, as he needs to bolster both his confidence and his reputation in the short-term. No point squandering potential medals on attempts at a jump he can’t do yet.

Rika Kihira achieved a higher TES at NHK than almost all the men competing the free skate this season with the same jump content as Jason. He’s not going to beat Nathan or Yuzuru this way, barring disaster from them, but he can potentially beat almost everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information