Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Green

The ISU bio shows Stephen Gogolev is no longer with Brian Orser. Anyone knows if it is correct?

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101086.htm

Coach:Lee Barkell
Choreographer:Mary Angela Larmer, David Wilson
Former Coach:Brian Orser
TSL mentioned this in its most recent video, prior to the bio change. They said that Gogolev's parents thought Orser wasn't devoting enough time to Stephen so they decided they didn't want to keep paying him, or something like that, and so he's now solely with Barkell now (Lee was always one of his two coaches).

fan

TSL mentioned this in its most recent video, prior to the bio change. They said that Gogolev's parents thought Orser wasn't devoting enough time to Stephen so they decided they didn't want to keep paying him, or something like that, and so he's now solely with Barkell now (Lee was always one of his two coaches).
Pure speculation

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's GPF/JGPF press release confirms that Barkell is Gogolev's sole coach: https://skatecanada.ca/2018/12/cana...-2018-isu-grand-prix-of-figure-skating-final/
Stephen Gogolev, 13, Toronto, Ont., will represent Canada in the junior men category and will be competing at this event for the first time. Gogolev placed fifth at JGP Canada and won gold at JGPSlovakia. He trains at the Toronto Cricket & Skating Club and is coached by Lee Barkell.
So his ISU bio (recently updated for the JGP Final) is correct.

Tinami Amori

That confirms what "few russian-canadian skaters' parents @ Cricket Club" said on one of the Russian chats quoting Gogolev's parents (who they supposedly talk to). Another reason that was mentioned is that Brian Orser took on and is working heavily with a "former russian, now polish skater" Ekaterina Kurakova (who has practiced quad jumps). There were some discussions about his excitement about such a prospective young girl.
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...deva-figuristka-menyaet-grazhdanstvo-1486744/

Rock2

The Gogo coaching revision makes total sense to me. Stephen gets all the benefits of the Cricket package and can still take some jumping lessons from Brian. In Lee, he gets someone capable of leading his development and being his primary coach for his junior career with lots of focus.

Conceivably, he can switch to Brian after this cycle if he wishes and once he's a full time senior gunning for placement at worlds. At that point, Brian may not have Evgenia, Jason, Yuzu, Javi training there and would have capacity to take on more world elite seniors. Stephen has lots to do until he's at that level. When Beijing ends, Gogolev will be, what, 17? Perfect time to think about that next phase of your career.

barbarafan

The Gogo coaching revision makes total sense to me. Stephen gets all the benefits of the Cricket package and can still take some jumping lessons from Brian. In Lee, he gets someone capable of leading his development and being his primary coach for his junior career with lots of focus.

Conceivably, he can switch to Brian after this cycle if he wishes and once he's a full time senior gunning for placement at worlds. At that point, Brian may not have Evgenia, Jason, Yuzu, Javi training there and would have capacity to take on more world elite seniors. Stephen has lots to do until he's at that level. When Beijing ends, Gogolev will be, what, 17? Perfect time to think about that next phase of your career.

ok Correct me if I am wrong but Lee seems to have the personality of a potatoe so wonder how much inspiration he would give....Stephens jumps will have to constantly be tweaked as he grows so will he lose them without Brian? Brian is at the grand prix so the problem could not be that he wasn't able to go to the final.

Rock2

ok Correct me if I am wrong but Lee seems to have the personality of a potatoe so wonder how much inspiration he would give....Stephens jumps will have to constantly be tweaked as he grows so will he lose them without Brian? Brian is at the grand prix so the problem could not be that he wasn't able to go to the final.

Lee is super chill. Almost dead. Except Gabby says that he blasts rock music often times in training which playfully annoys her...so he does have 'some' energy about him.
His vibe just might be what Stephen needs as he tends to get the yips in competition.

Your main coach is in charge of your development and scheduling, etc but isn't necessarily the person you learn everything from. They team coach at Cricket so my expectation is that he takes from almost everyone there including Brian for jumps. More affordable to pay Brian for transactional coaching by the hour and not tens of thousands or whatever to take charge of his career....at least for now.

barbarafan

Lee is super chill. Almost dead. Except Gabby says that he blasts rock music often times in training which playfully annoys her...so he does have 'some' energy about him.
His vibe just might be what Stephen needs as he tends to get the yips in competition.

Your main coach is in charge of your development and scheduling, etc but isn't necessarily the person you learn everything from. They team coach at Cricket so my expectation is that he takes from almost everyone there including Brian for jumps. More affordable to pay Brian for transactional coaching by the hour and not tens of thousands or whatever to take charge of his career....at least for now.
Hope so.

puglover

And somehow - Lee Barkell never seems to age! I walked past him in Vancouver in January and he looked like he might have aged 1 day in 10 years. What is his secret?

screech

Good luck to Keegan and Stephen, both of whom are competing their SP today at the GPF. Junior men takes place at 15:20 PST (Stephen skates second), and senior at 19:45 PST (Keegan skates first).

Erin

Banned Member
And Lee has also had a lot of success as a coach - Buttle, Oda, Gabby, Lubov/Dylan, Langlois/Hay... and his students seem happy with him - rarely do you hear about people flip flopping between coaches once they're with him.

That's a good point. The only one I can think of is Buttle working with Arutunian off and on (which did really help Buttle's triple axel), but even then, he didn't leave Lee. Lee isn't necessarily the strongest technical coach but I do like his calm demeanour and the rapport he appears to have with his students.

And somehow - Lee Barkell never seems to age! I walked past him in Vancouver in January and he looked like he might have aged 1 day in 10 years. What is his secret?

Totally. I put him in the category with Scott Davis, Patrice Lauzon, and a few others who seem to have found the fountain of youth.

fan

he still exercises. a lot.

mag

Lee is actually a good jumps coach. He has a particular style / technique, but if it works for you it is great. My understanding is Brian charges by the hour. No contracts, no lump sum or percentage fee.

screech

Great outing from Stephen. I thought he looked extremely nervous, but he did really well and I thought his presentation and basic skating looks like it's improved. In second place with his best SP score yet (78.82) and the highest TES, which I thought should have been even higher compared to Camden (who IMO hits some really ugly positions on some spins). Now he just needs to get his footwork up to level 3 or 4.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
It is funny that Lee's hair length and middle part never changes. It looks stupid. But whatevs.

Great job by Steven here. IMO he is worthy of medaling at Nats.

Colonel Green

It must have been satisfying for Stephen to revisit and rectify the disappointing short program at JGP Vancouver. The performance was improved, I thought.

We'll see how his quads go in the free program.

screech

Keegan seemed to skate his SP well (shaky jumps but all on his feet), but something must have been downgraded. Not sure what, since everything looked rotated, but from when he got off the ice with the tracker saying around 44 TES, his actual scores showed a TES of 37.56. He seemed pretty nervous, and some lower levels on his footwork (level 2) and combo spin (level 2).

Also, Liz Manley is commentating the CBC live stream with PJ, and she's absolutely fantastic!

Colonel Green

I thought Keegan looked out of it in his performance, which isn't something I associated with him. Now, there was just a huge earthquake in his home state that evidently affected his community, so I was wondering if he wouldn't be in the best place here, so if that's the case, totally understandable. Or it could just be nervousness.

screech

I thought Keegan looked out of it in his performance, which isn't something I associated with him. Now, there was just a huge earthquake in his home state that evidently affected his community, so I was wondering if he wouldn't be in the best place here, so if that's the case, totally understandable. Or it could just be nervousness.
Oh completely.
I'm interested to see the protocols when they're available - how did they go down 7 TES points between when he ended and when he got his scores. Keegan definitely doesn't underrotate his jumps (everything looked clean IMO even in replay). He also hasn't ever gotten level 4 on his footwork IIRC (I think he got 3 once), and they explained why he got level 2 on the combo spin, but all that contributed to the 44.

puglover

Oh - I am not enjoying this commentary at all. I wish we had Ted Barton back who shuts down his mic during the skating. I like hearing the technical but why can't they just wait until the replays, instead of ruining the mood of the music and program. I love PJ but they are driving me nuts!

screech

So protocols are up. Keegan got < on his 4T and < on his 3A. They reeeeeally pushed it to give the < on the quad, but in rewatching the 3A in super slow mo, I can see it.
Interestingly, on his combo spin his GOE involved all 4s except for one 5, one 2 and for some reason a zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information