Papadakis/Cizeron #7 - A Matter of Confidentiality

Status
Not open for further replies.

laviemn

Thank you. :)
I love Oblivion. I have a special connection with that piece because it was used in "The Best of Youth" and I luuuuurve that movie. I don't remember Primavera Portena though. Ima gonna check that one, always Piazolla?

If you haven't heard it, Gidon Kremer's rendition is stunning. Bless them for not choosing the 2Cellos version that Bobrova used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg__yDK-0rk

Sinitsina/Katsalapov are using Verano Porteno from the same work, and Miyahara is using Invierno for her FS.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_FQz2Cmggort9FxYTREyYP4zqxK1cS8y

Icetigger

If you haven't heard it, Gidon Kremer's rendition is stunning. Bless them for not choosing the 2Cellos version that Bobrova used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg__yDK-0rk

Sinitsina/Katsalapov are using Verano Porteno from the same work, and Miyahara is using Invierno for her FS.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_FQz2Cmggort9FxYTREyYP4zqxK1cS8y

It's a good sign that they are using Primavera Porteno, because S/K have the best tango along with W/P from a choreographic perspective. All the Gadbois tangoes so far are weak in comparison. P/C's choices suggest to me that similarly to W/P and S/K it will be about taking a couple of very constantly rhythm'ed pieces of music and really driving the rhythm home. To me, there are other tangoes being danced by other couples where the constant underlying rhythms haven't been identified and been used to inform the choreo, and we in fact have couples dancing tango movements without regard to the underlying rhythm, and then a lot of movements that are there to emphasise and react to other details which distract from the point of dancing a tango and just make the whole thing look messy and unfocused.

One of the interesting exercises I have done is search youtube for how frequent examples of particular pieces of music are actually used by tango dancers, which I think should be an exercise for anyone selecting a piece of music for a tango RD. Obviously Oblivion brings up a lot of tangoes; Primavera Porteno, though more a concert hall piece, also brings up a number of danced tangoes. By comparison, another piece- Alevare- used almost wholly for their RD by H/D when put in to youtube with the word tango, brings up no results that I can find scrolling a fair way down. When you also then check out stagings of Maria De Buenos Aires, it also isn't used as music for a dance piece within the show. Those facts to me are a huge red flag for using it. And when you look at say how effective S/K's step seq (minus the hand claps) is in comparison to H/D's, in communicating the rhythm, this really underlines that it was always likely to be the case just based on a rationalisation (or lack thereof) of the music choice by the choreographer.

Miloune

So in the NHK program P/C's entry is still there and they mention their music choice for the FD!
Duet and Sunday afternoon by Yamagata.

Credit to @Cam1409 who saw it and told it on twitter hahaha!
Edit : well apparently a few others saw it too hahaha

Last edited:

Isabelle.G

So in the NHK program P/C's entry is still there and they mention their music choice for the FD!
Duet and Sunday afternoon by Yamagata.

Credit to @Cam1409 who saw it and told it on twitter hahaha!
Edit : well apparently a few others saw it too hahaha

Oh my goodness! Duet! I was secretly hoping they would use this song. And apparently, they did! I can't find the right words to express how happy I am right now. :biggrinbo

dramagrrl

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It's indeed interesting how those two teams are heading in the same direction, a folk song inspired FD. So we already have our title for the Internationaux de France FD PBP thread "Battle of the folks"

VGThuy

I’ve been a Rachel Yamagata fan for some years thanks to a fellow FSU poster who put her on my radar and out of all the ice dance teams, I think P/C are the only ones I trust to not only do her music justice but to go above and beyond my imagination for what a program set to her music would look like. I’m sort of honored on her behalf that a team like P/C chose her. I’m sort of in awe they chose songs from the album Elephants to skate to since it’s not her most accessible album.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I’ve been a Rachel Yamagata fan for some years thanks to a fellow FSU poster who put her on my radar and out of all the ice dance teams, I think P/C are the only ones I trust to not only do her music justice but to go above and beyond my imagination for what a program set to her music would look like. I’m sort of honored on her behalf that a team like P/C chose her. I’m sort of in awe they chose songs from the album Elephants to skate to since it’s not her most accessible album.
Thank you for answering a question I wanted to ask you for a while. From one of your post here, it was clear you were a fan and it's good to know you approve of their choice of songs.
I really hope the music edit will be good. I have to say Duet is rather slow so I hope they'll use more of the Sunday afternoon, not that it is fast pace but still.

alain06fr

Sorry, I forgot that you are the only source of info on Gabi and Guillaume, in light of which my source cannot of course be accurate ;)
Really? Never mind, you should not expect much from such a bad source in the future... :p but you can definitely count on our best experts in conspiration theories and other shitstorms to get the best up to date reliable information :rofl:

Last edited:

laviemn

I do admire that they choose what inspires them when they could make life easier for themselves with more audience-friendly choices. Didier must be annoyed so that's a bonus.

The blurb from the IFS article makes it seem like they truly believe they've taken a different path, which makes me wonder if this dance will be very different from what I imagine.

https://www.ifsmagazine.com/ifs-december-2018/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information